Celebrity "refundable" deposits

fnar

9 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I have just started using a TA so it’ll be interesting to see if I get better rates.  

Remember that some offer these group rates while others don't.  Some offer more OBC and others may offer less.  It is likely also dependent on the specific sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Liao said:

Did you purchase the air with the refundable option?  If so, the ticket cost more.

Of course it cost more--but it cost less than @ $200 to get more than @ $1800 back, kind of like travel insurance but for any reason.  This is $1500 to get $900 back! It's nuts. Esp since they want you to book early--they entice you by saying don't worry your deposit is refundable. This is pretty recent too, used to be all but $100 was refundable, I could live with that. Now fee is MORE than refund.

10 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

This is very interesting, I've actually printed your post so I can make sure I get this right.  We are on a short Equinox cruise later this year and I may give this a try.  By the time of our cruise most of the new itineraries will be out....might find one I want to do this with.  Does the "placeholder" work if booking a suite?  

As far as booking a "placeholder" cruise to swap it out later with a suite, I have no insight in that area as we no longer book them. But I have read X recently changed the way they handle minimum deposits for the with suites, so I'll defer that question to anyone else that may have an answer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I have just started using a TA so it’ll be interesting to see if I get better rates.  

You should. But there aren't always group or other cruise line TA promo fares for every cruise so don't be discouraged if it doesn't immediately or always happen with your chosen itinerary.  But when there are such fares they will have access to them.  Often it may be a group fare that they or their agency are sponsoring.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Not all cruises have a difference in the refundable and nonrefundable rates.  I just booked two where the price was the same for refundable and nonrefundable deposits.

I have never ever seen this since they instituted this policy. Curious what type of cruises are they?

49 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You should. But there aren't always group or other cruise line TA promo fares for every cruise so don't be discouraged if it doesn't immediately or always happen with your chosen itinerary.  But when there are such fares they will have access to them.  Often it may be a group fare that they or their agency are sponsoring.

Groups and discounted groups are possible on every itinerary at some point in the game. Finding an agency that has open space may be the challenge if you’re booking later. 

50 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have never ever seen this since they instituted this policy. Curious what type of cruises are they?

I have searched for these to, but never found one for a cruise I wanted to book.  I cannot imagine why customers with this choice would book NRD instead of RFD.

The more the cruise the bigger the difference is going to be.  Remember the "deal" is an extra 25% off the second passenger.  75% for NRD and 50% for Refundable.

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As far as booking a "placeholder" cruise to swap it out later with a suite, I have no insight in that area as we no longer book them. But I have read X recently changed the way they handle minimum deposits for the with suites, so I'll defer that question to anyone else that may have an answer.

I had forgotten the new "10%" suite deposit so makes sense it wouldn't work on them.  I haven't booked anything on X for a long time, we have the short December cruise on Equinox and the rest of my bookings are with Princess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Groups and discounted groups are possible on every itinerary at some point in the game. Finding an agency that has open space may be the challenge if you’re booking later. 

Are group bookings/rates typically available on Retreat Sky Suites?