Short Caribbean cruises not selling

4 hours ago, canderson said:

To be fair, these cruises are SO short, that if you're taking one as what Celebrity calls in that brochure above a "last minute get-away", you can actually time it between tropical storm development off the African coast.  It's often possible to say with good certainty that there will be no major tropical storm type weather, much less a hurricane, between Florida and the Bahamas for the next three days and four nights.

Exactly, if I lived close to the port, I would be all over these

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My sailing is Sept 30. Were is this?

It was an email, I got same yesterday.  I perked up when I seen it was a PUP opportunity but having to book a cruise like this and on such short cruise for 5 Club Points 🤣  Total bonus for those already booked.

Here is the link in the email for those that already have one booked.

Power Up Points Booking Activity Form (celebritycruises.com)

Edited by poffles

Short cruises like these have a reputation of being "booze and party cruises" (we have only 3-4 days so we need to make the most of it and sleep when we get home) particularly when they also offer very low prices as seen in some older ships and on certain cruise lines - which both attracts and repels cruisers. Do these short cruises from Celebrity share that reputation? 

I think that Celebrity is seen as a bit upscale and by some as "The cruiseline that fun forgot", "stuffy and boring" and "not kid friendly", and if that keeps partiers and kids away, some of us think that's alright.  

These cruises are meant for people who have not sailed before.  They are meant to be cruises to introduce new customers to cruising and are less expensive than other cruises.

In reality they tend to attract a younger crowd  and at times be more boozy.

I am not sure why Celebrity has these types of cruises?  There seems to be a more natural progression from starting out on Royal and then moving over to Celebrity...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

We cobbled a 4-night & 10 night together into a b2b last Feb on Silhouette. What we didn’t take into account was that the 4-nighter was over Super Bowl Sunday. It was insane. You could barely get a drink at a bar (any of them) let alone a seat. Raucous crowd. We were very glad our 10-night was after the 4<nighter. Even the crew was a lot happier on the 10-nighter. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, awhfy said:

We cobbled a 4-night & 10 night together into a b2b last Feb on Silhouette. What we didn’t take into account was that the 4-nighter was over Super Bowl Sunday. It was insane. You could barely get a drink at a bar (any of them) let alone a seat. Raucous crowd. We were very glad our 10-night was after the 4<nighter. Even the crew was a lot happier on the 10-nighter. 

I could easily see that with the SB thrown into the mix for sure..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poffles said:

It was an email, I got same yesterday.  I perked up when I seen it was a PUP opportunity but having to book a cruise like this and on such short cruise for 5 Club Points 🤣  Total bonus for those already booked.

Here is the link in the email for those that already have one booked.

Power Up Points Booking Activity Form (celebritycruises.com)

Thanks for the link. I filled in all of my information. My cruise was listed. I have tried to sign up for PUP but I alway get a blank screen or an error message when I follow the link. 

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

These cruises are meant for people who have not sailed before.  They are meant to be cruises to introduce new customers to cruising and are less expensive than other cruises.

I am not sure why Celebrity has these types of cruises?  There seems to be a more natural progression from starting out on Royal and then moving over to Celebrity...

All lines have been discounting during Hurricane season for years. You are more likely to fill the ships for 3 and 4 day runs with people who can drive to port than those who would want to fly in at this time of year for longer itineraries, given how flights get canceled. Also Families don't travel at this time. It's the end of the summer and they are focusing on going back to school. Schools in Florida have already returned in August. You can only fill ships with seniors, couples and singles. These short trips are very appealing to those groups. Now that I live in Florida I don't need 7 beach days of palm trees and tee shirt shops. I wasn't even looking for a Caribbean Cruise. Our plan was to tour Florida on land trips since we have only been here for 18 months. I couldn't pass up a cheap opportunity to go to Key West without a 6 hour drive.  If you'er not sailing on a "Booze Cruise", why does it matter what Celebrity does  to fill these ships. They are probably making more money on two short runs than they are with one 7 day run. Twice the chance to sell on board services which is where the money is. People will book these milk runs just to gamble. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

All lines have been discounting during Hurricane season for years. You are more likely to fill the ships for 3 and 4 day runs with people who can drive to port than those who would want to fly in at this time of year for longer itineraries, given how flights get canceled. Also Families don't travel at this time. It's the end of the summer and they are focusing on going back to school. Schools in Florida have already returned in August. You can only fill ships with seniors, couples and singles. These short trips are very appealing to those groups. Now that I live in Florida I don't need 7 beach days of palm trees and tee shirt shops. I wasn't even looking for a Caribbean Cruise. Our plan was to tour Florida on land trips since we have only been here for 18 months. I couldn't pass up a cheap opportunity to go to Key West without a 6 hour drive.  If you'er not sailing on a "Booze Cruise", why does it matter what Celebrity does  to fill these ships. They are probably making more money on two short runs than they are with one 7 day run. Twice the chance to sell on board services which is where the money is. People will book these milk runs just to gamble. 

Why does it matter? For one, very important thing, it takes away options for those who prefer 7+ night cruises which historicly described the vast majority of loyal Celebrity cruisers! And even on Celebrity these tend to be booze/party cruises,  at least as compared to the usual Celebrity cruise.

21 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Why does it matter? For one, very important thing, it takes away options for those who prefer 7+ night cruises which historicly described the vast majority of loyal Celebrity cruisers! And even on Celebrity these tend to be booze/party cruises,  at least as compared to the usual Celebrity cruise.

They still have 7 + day cruises during this time period. ABC islands is one. This is one ship doing short sailings. Times are changing indicated by the reduction of traditional dining and formal nights. The new generation of cruisers aren't stuck behind a desk anymore. They have remote jobs that allow them the freedom to work any place.  These short get away itineraries are perfect for them.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We are doing a b2b (3 and 4 night) next week, mainly because it fit our schedule, and we love the Signature Suite on Reflection. It is certainly a different set of folks on the cruise groups on the other site.  Most have never sailed Celebrity before and are either first timers or coming over from Carnival and RC.  On the first cruise, there are at least 5 slot pulls organized by 5 different people. That number is very different than I've ever seen on Celebrity, but probably common on those lines. I'm looking forward to just getting away....and the people watching will be amazing on this cruise.

I don't mind one Celebrity ship doing these short cruises. It gives people choices and this one fits for what we need. If I recall, several years back, we didn't even have a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean in the summertime. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It doesn't take away anything. It's actually the opposite. Celebrity has the capacity of four (5 with Xcel) additional ships since they leaned more into 3/4/5 night cruises. You have 72% more 7+ night cruises during this period when comparing '23 to '25. 

Between September and December departing from Florida

• 2025 there are 62 cruises 7 days or longer, 38 shorter than 7 days
  • 2024 there are 42 cruises 7 days or longer, 42 shorter than 7 days
  • 2023 there were 36 cruises 7 days or longer, 37 shorter than 7 days

Keep in mind prior to 2017 there was no summer Caribbean sailings and into fall was still very very thin. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They still have 7 + day cruises during this time period. ABC islands is one. This is one ship doing short sailings. Times are changing indicated by the reduction of traditional dining and formal nights. The new generation of cruisers aren't stuck behind a desk anymore. They have remote jobs that allow them the freedom to work any place.  These short get away itineraries are perfect for them.

Never said they were gone, just that there are fewer options.  I should have qualified that to say also for those of us who are not fans of E class ships.  And there most definitely are.  I have a particular interest in this change as my favorite ship for years (Equinox) is one of the ones taken away from 7 night cruises to go to the shorter ones (don't recall the timeframe, just know it is affected).  I am on one of the ABC cruises you mention.  Almost every berth sold, and prices were high.  Another impact for people who prefer the 7+ night cruises.  Not that many cruises aren't higher priced nowadays, but this is most definitely having an adverse impact on many of us

Edited by phoenix_dream

20 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We are booked on a 4 night in April.  As a teacher, a 7 night is too tight/risky as I can’t miss the day before/after a schedule break. So while intended perhaps as an intro to sailing, we are doing one because that was what was offered that worked with my vacation dates and available sailing dates.

Wow people, either you want to take one of these cruises on Celebrity, or not..you have options. 

I don’t understand the angst..

If you want longer out of Port Canaveral, they have a 6 and 8 day you can combine going right now..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, NMTraveller said:

I agree. As soon as I told my neighbors who have never cruised before they all wanted to join. Unfortunately they had other plans for travel the same week. I told them we should plan something for next year.

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. As soon as I told my neighbors who have never cruised before they all wanted to join. Unfortunately they had other plans for travel the same week. I told them we should plan something for next year.

Everyone's situation is different.

With that disclosure here is our experience - We did a 4 nighter on Reflection in May. Why? It was our 30th anniversary, and even with flights from Milwaukee to Ft. Lauderdale, the cruise was cheaper than going to a resort hotel and quite frankly more fun! Cannot say we saw a lot of evidence of it being a booze cruise, but there was a higher percentage of a younger demographic who were respectfully enjoying themselves.

Additionally, my travel agent friend says they are getting good traffic booking this as an intro for those who haven't cruised before. I know I have suggested this to friends who aren't sure "cruising is for them". I know when we starting cruising the entry option was Carnival and that was clearly not for us, so I see this as a good opportunity for people to experience something better without being concerned that they were committed to 7-10 days. 

Again, my opinion....

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those 14 night itineraries must not be selling because I don't see them offered on any line.

It certainly didn't used to be a problem.  I remember fondly when Constellation got all of the true deep Caribbean / ABC (usually just AC) cruises of 13/14 nts.  Most sailed at capacity, and if you wanted a decent cabin, you needed to book early.  I think they called them "Ultimate Caribbean" cruises.  Now the only way you can get 14 nts is to take a trans-canal trip or one of the 'slower' transoceanic cruises.  Seems like they're even speeding up the TAs now, and those tend to book full as well, and the slower the better. 

Try getting a suite on the 2025 WB TA on Constellation.  A glorious 16 nts, but fully booked, and has been for a while.  You can still get the odd suite on other, shorter WB TAs in 2025.

Side note:  Well bummer -- Celebrity just quit showing ALL prior cruises with them in the "Points History" section of the CC portion of the site.  That's why I couldn't confirm the expression "Ultimate Caribbean".  Anyone know when that started???

19 minutes ago, Pantheral said:

Everyone's situation is different.

With that disclosure here is our experience - We did a 4 nighter on Reflection in May. Why? It was our 30th anniversary, and even with flights from Milwaukee to Ft. Lauderdale, the cruise was cheaper than going to a resort hotel and quite frankly more fun! Cannot say we saw a lot of evidence of it being a booze cruise, but there was a higher percentage of a younger demographic who were respectfully enjoying themselves.

Additionally, my travel agent friend says they are getting good traffic booking this as an intro for those who haven't cruised before. I know I have suggested this to friends who aren't sure "cruising is for them". I know when we starting cruising the entry option was Carnival and that was clearly not for us, so I see this as a good opportunity for people to experience something better without being concerned that they were committed to 7-10 days. 

Again, my opinion....

After reading comments still hope our 4 day on Silho will not attract a loud and shouty  boozy crowd. We prefer the usual varied Celebrity demographic..  something for everyone on board.

We are booked for Specialty dining and port excursions so  may not be an issue.. go with the flow!

Just checked, and such as it is, there is ONE date on Constellation for a 12 nt, Nov 30, 2024, and nothing like this at all scheduled for 2025 of this nature on any ship.  Suite only offered as "Guarantee".  Nothing else in Retreat.  Aqua = sold out.  Concierge (all 3 classes) = 3 left.  Veranda (both classes) = 2 left.  Ocean View (both classes) = 32 left.  So OK, everybody wants a veranda for a deep Caribbean!

So it certainly doesn't seem to be a huge problem with bookings that's preventing Celebrity from running the longer Caribbean cruises.  Why NONE for 2025?  Beats me.

• Like 1

Great deal for locals 

Usually the longer the cruise the better.  Have a transatlantic Equinox trip booked for April.  Was looking to burn a few vacation days with a Florida driving trip…Key West?  St. Augustine?  Marco Island?

for the cost of a few nights in an hotel booked cruise.  Get speciality dining, drinks and entertainment.    Great deal.   

20 hours ago, canderson said:

It certainly didn't used to be a problem.  I remember fondly when Constellation got all of the true deep Caribbean / ABC (usually just AC) cruises of 13/14 nts.  Most sailed at capacity, and if you wanted a decent cabin, you needed to book early.  I think they called them "Ultimate Caribbean" cruises.  Now the only way you can get 14 nts is to take a trans-canal trip or one of the 'slower' transoceanic cruises.  Seems like they're even speeding up the TAs now, and those tend to book full as well, and the slower the better. 

Try getting a suite on the 2025 WB TA on Constellation.  A glorious 16 nts, but fully booked, and has been for a while.  You can still get the odd suite on other, shorter WB TAs in 2025.

Side note:  Well bummer -- Celebrity just quit showing ALL prior cruises with them in the "Points History" section of the CC portion of the site.  That's why I couldn't confirm the expression "Ultimate Caribbean".  Anyone know when that started???

The reason is simple IMHO. Longer cruises are 95% older cruisers. I've been on many.  Despite their claiming otherwise,  they don't want us older cruisers. We don't spend as much on shore excursions ( been there; done that), picture packages, the most expensive restaurants etc.. They want the 30-50 year olds, preferably the ones with money.  Unless management or marketing strategy changes we are out of luck. Lately we just do many b2bs, but those aren't as nice as they often repeat ports, offer less port variety,  and of course have the turnaround day hassle which isn't that bad but it does lessen the enjoyment 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

The reason is simple IMHO. Longer cruises are 95% older cruisers. I've been on many.  Despite their claiming otherwise,  they don't want us older cruisers. We don't spend as much on shore excursions ( been there; done that), picture packages, the most expensive restaurants etc.. They want the 30-50 year olds, preferably the ones with money.  Unless management or marketing strategy changes we are out of luck. Lately we just do many b2bs, but those aren't as nice as they often repeat ports, offer less port variety,  and of course have the turnaround day hassle which isn't that bad but it does lessen the enjoyment 

95% of longer cruises are certainly older cruisers during Sept-May when school is in session.  But longer summer cruises (when you can still find one) still seem to have the typical Celebrity mix of demographics.  I guess there will always be trans-oceanic voyages for us, but as noted earlier, even those are getting shorter and shorter on the Atlantic side.

If you look at the stats, we (the old farts) are still the ones with most of the money.

One thing Celebrity does still seem to do (intentionally) is create B2B or B3B opportunities where there's no port overlap.  For example, if one wanted to do Caribbean, there's often a ship doing alternating E W E W etc so that a B2B never has any repeats apart from turn day.  And non-repeat B2B options in Europe are quite common.

That said, if Celebrity keeps going in the 'weekend special' direction or starts to shorten their TAs any further, we'll be on Silversea again.  I'm sure RCG will be happy with that choice, but we won't be helping the current X president's numbers any.

If you bring up Silversea's entire 2025 schedule, and ask to refine the list by length of cruise, here's what THEIR itineraries look like!

image.png.acf5deee7f93c8e0546bfd11136917f9.png

and if narrowing it down to Caribbean (not a focus area for Silversea, but

the subject of the thread) you get this from a MUCH smaller Caribbean fleet:

image.png.739db7cb486a082061fe6eae6383fef3.png

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hard to generalize...

We are older cruisers..

We buy photos,  take Celeb excursions,  book spa treatments and Specialty dining. 

And a nice  piece of jewelry  now and then..

We have more time and money  than when we were young! Seven to 10 days is a perfect cruise

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1