Need some help - last minute medical issue

retireyet

She is going to go without any expectations of getting off the boat. As we are a group of 12 and the morning free tours are only 2-4 hrs, I will just come back to the boat after. If there is an occasion to get off and walk into town or Uber into town then great, if not we'll enjoy the scenery, food, and company when they return!

Roz - as far as blood clots, the doc did mention that she, and anyone else traveling 8hrs on a plane, should get up every hour and move around and compression on the area will help. After a few days she is already walking on the boot short distances so getting around the plane holding the seats shouldn't be an issue! Thanks for the concern.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, retireyet said:

She is going to go without any expectations of getting off the boat. As we are a group of 12 and the morning free tours are only 2-4 hrs, I will just come back to the boat after. If there is an occasion to get off and walk into town or Uber into town then great, if not we'll enjoy the scenery, food, and company when they return!

Roz - as far as blood clots, the doc did mention that she, and anyone else traveling 8hrs on a plane, should get up every hour and move around and compression on the area will help. After a few days she is already walking on the boot short distances so getting around the plane holding the seats shouldn't be an issue! Thanks for the concern.

She might consider "compression socks" for the flight. They are VERY difficult to put on. When my DH needed them I found it easy to cut the foot portion off and then I could get the sock on better!! 🙂 Good for you 2 for going!!! 

If you have no insurance what will happen if either of you become ill or have an accident while on your cruise? 

This is a hot topic here just now. A British man travelled without insurance, became unwell and hospitalised and can't pay the bill. He is being detained by the hospital until he pays the minimum of £40,000 as a start towards his full bill.

Edited by Nippy Sweetie

Nippy - thanks for the concern, however, my comments are in regards to cruise insurance not health insurance. Living in MA we have mandatory health requirements and a majority of all health covers overseas emergencies. Not sure I would be traveling at this level if I couldn't afford basic health care!

Thanks ~ Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LuAnn said:

She might consider "compression socks" for the flight. They are VERY difficult to put on. When my DH needed them I found it easy to cut the foot portion off and then I could get the sock on better!! 🙂 Good for you 2 for going!!! 

No need to cut your socks.

• Like 1

For UK cruisers don't forget to update your EHIC card to a GHIC card. It's free and very easy to claim for. It allows access to medical treatment at the same cost as locals pay. It's very handy. We also have full travel insurance of course. 

The EHIC one was useful when OH got bad burn on holiday once. He was seen at once in a local clinic and paid only for dressings and meds. Would have been a huge palaver going through travel insurance.

I had an accident on a Scenic boat in April. I broke 4 bones (2 in my left foot, 2 in my left hand). This happened on day 2 of our 7 day trip. My DH enjoyed our excursions while I stayed onboard in the lounge or with it elevated with ice in our cabin. It wasn’t an issue. Tell her to bring a few things she likes to do: book, tablet, knitting, etc. 

Just try to get a wheelchair in both airports as it will really help. 

8 hours ago, retireyet said:

Nippy - thanks for the concern, however, my comments are in regards to cruise insurance not health insurance. Living in MA we have mandatory health requirements and a majority of all health covers overseas emergencies. Not sure I would be traveling at this level if I couldn't afford basic health care!

Thanks ~ Paul

Just to clarify for our US based CC members who are on Medicare, Medicare doesn't cover you outside of the country unless you're in a territory such as Puerto Rico or the U.S.V.I.  Your Medicare supplement may or may not provide some coverage.  Mine has a $50,000 lifetime limit (not very much), so I purchase travel insurance that includes medical and medical transport and evacuation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

If you have no insurance what will happen if either of you become ill or have an accident while on your cruise? 

This is a hot topic here just now. A British man travelled without insurance, became unwell and hospitalised and can't pay the bill. He is being detained by the hospital until he pays the minimum of £40,000 as a start towards his full bill.

I have not read that thread.  What country is he in?  That is frightening on top of being !

23 hours ago, retireyet said:

so getting around the plane holding the seats shouldn't be an issue!

Not meaning to derail the thread, but please remind her that grabbing onto occupied seats can be an issue with some people.  The seats are not really set up to support walkers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Not meaning to derail the thread, but please remind her that grabbing onto occupied seats can be an issue with some people.  The seats are not really set up to support walkers.

This is very true. I have a vestibular issue and someone grabbing my seat for support in a non-emergency would set off vertigo in an already moving plane. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deec said:

I have not read that thread.  What country is he in?  That is frightening on top of being !

It's not on a thread here. It's a British news story. The family have set up a 'Go fund me' page to try to raise the money but there's considerable resistance as it's felt that he should have had insurance. As far as I know he's still in Turkey.

Edited by Nippy Sweetie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback. As I'm not yet of medicare age I'll put that one onto my future to-do list. As far as "grabbing" seats I think we're good, she's very mobile at this point. I have to say though that it would not bother me in the least if a handicapped person walked by me and steadied themselves on my seat, I might even offer help! 

Thanks again for the info, we leave in an hour so I won't be checking in again. 

18 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I shudder to think that 'some people' might have an issue with another pax using the back of their seat to help walking to the lav.  This takes self-absorption to a new level.  Quite appalling.  I applaud the person with an injury or handicap for 'getting out there' and travelling.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:25 AM, Suzanne123 said:

No need to cut your socks.

Is it possible to find compression socks that aren't super long?  I've purchased two pairs and both, when fully pulled up hit me right at the knee and end up digging into my skin at the joint. Painful especially when removed.

I’ll confess to getting annoyed when someone pulls on my seat back, particularly on an overnight flight. Some flight etiquette sources call it out. 

19. Don't be a wrecking ball when walking down the aisle

Your fellow passengers don’t deserve to be yanked around every time you rise, so do not under any circumstances short of complete collapse grab the back seats when you walk down the aisle: A fellow passenger's headrest is not there to help you gain momentum on your long crawl to the bathroom. And if you're wearing a backpack while boarding, take it off and carry it by your side or snugly in front of you, lest both your butt and your backpack smack into someone's head the moment you turn around.

There is an option, the “secret” handrail - https://flytrippers.com/pro-tip-the-secret-handrail-to-help-you-walk-down-the-plane-aisle

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I’ll confess to getting annoyed when someone pulls on my seat back, particularly on an overnight flight. Some flight etiquette sources call it out. 

19. Don't be a wrecking ball when walking down the aisle

Your fellow passengers don’t deserve to be yanked around every time you rise, so do not under any circumstances short of complete collapse grab the back seats when you walk down the aisle: A fellow passenger's headrest is not there to help you gain momentum on your long crawl to the bathroom. And if you're wearing a backpack while boarding, take it off and carry it by your side or snugly in front of you, lest both your butt and your backpack smack into someone's head the moment you turn around.

There is an option, the “secret” handrail - https://flytrippers.com/pro-tip-the-secret-handrail-to-help-you-walk-down-the-plane-aisle

That rail would be very difficult for me to reach on most of the wide/bodies I typically fly. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

That rail would be very difficult for me to reach on most of the wide/bodies I typically fly. 

Agree, as someone who can stretch their legs out on an Economy seat, I would have a lot less balance trying to stretch that high walking down the aisle.