Are The NEXT Class Of Celebrity Ships Announced?

Tom and Ingrid

Not in the formal "here's what they specifically look like", but more in the "this is the concept we're following" sense?

If I understand it, the Xcel is the final E-class.  Since that has kicked off the build stage recently, I would think X is already deeply into some sort of planning for the NEXT class to come out.  With the E-class ships coming out every 2 yrs or so, it would seem X has a similar time frame to plan and eventually build a next-class ship so it would be operation in 2027 or 2028.

Have we heard the direction their next ships will take?

Would have a feeling there might be a break for a few years as RCG needs to get debt paid off, the Edge class where all contracted out before the Covid I think.  With the "Edgeification" being done to the S class i think would be the main priorities.  If anything I would not expect a new ship until 2029-30 so they RCG can get things in order. but who knows.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to view the opinions of folks on here regarding what they think would be the most appropriate designs ... from Celebrity's point-of-view (not just one's personal preferences).

From a Geek's perspective, some of us would like to know stuff like what propulsion might be used (LNG?), would it support shore power and, of course, would fuel efficiency once again rule, prompting IV type configuration for most cabins.  Maybe a clever ship's architect could find a way to add more (true) balconies without compromising overall design.

What should X add as features?  (I don't see wave pools and slides in Celebrity's future.)

I could see more adult stuff like return to libraries, game rooms (it seems lots of card and tile players on board), but, alas, these don't generate revenue.  Maybe more contemporary spaces for club-like events, but designed much better than, say, Eden's seating for shows. Kinda done with acrobatics, so something new would be nice.

I am sure that Celebrity would like to keep a buzzy atmosphere, but one might suggest a design where the the exuberant stuff (looking at you, Martini Bar) would still happen, but not intrude on spaces with a more mellow vibe (restaurants, WCB and the like).

Furnishings would, hopefully, drift more to function over form, i.e., comfortable chairs, etc.

Edited by mdcelebrity

15 minutes ago, mdcelebrity said:

I am sure that Celebrity would like to keep a buzzy atmosphere, but one might suggest a design where the the exuberant stuff (looking at you, Martini Bar) would still happen, but not intrude on spaces with a more mellow vibe (restaurants, WCB and the like).

Furnishings would, hopefully, drift more to function over form, i.e., comfortable chairs, etc.

100% agree.  Sound needs to isolated (unlike E class) so that both loud and quiet spaces can coexist!

And yes, fire Kelly Hoppen before considering interior design.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mdcelebrity said:

From a Geek's perspective, some of us would like to know stuff like what propulsion might be used (LNG?), would it support shore power and, of course, would fuel efficiency once again rule, prompting IV type configuration for most cabins.  Maybe a clever ship's architect could find a way to add more (true) balconies without compromising overall design.

I hope X is future-planning that sort of thing. If they don't, it will likely limit options for them across an assortment of ports.  

For me, I'm interested in the size of the new ships.  Are they staying with the E-class capacity? Boosting it? Reducing it?  That sort of cue will let us see where they see their niche developing.  

I also think they will integrate from the get-go the ship-within-a-ship concept, but that has its own risks for them if gone too far (or not).  To some extent, it seems that may be their "solution" to the ever growing Elite and Zenith status - less about the status, and more about the class purchased. Maybe the perks evolve to pre-cruise discounts towards the ticket and higher classes, and away from any real rewards on board.  In many business eyes, it's becoming more of a "what have you spent lately" mentality vs "what have you spent historically" or "have you been loyal customers". A new cruiser in a top tier suite is likely far more important to them than an Elite in a standard balcony room.

• Like 1

Whatever the new ships are I hope they add more balconies.  And they keep the marketing to a minimum.  I really would like to cruise Edge class and have a balcony in Aqua without needing to buy up to a Sky Suite for double the price.  I do like Edge class, the variety of restaurants, the spaces etc.

A little bird told me, on the new ships, they're coming out with the "universal transporter" which lets you go from one place to another.  It's what my grandparents used to call "a door".

• Haha 1

At least four Celebrity ships already have shore power and Xcel will have a new methanol capable engine instead of LNG. 

I'm sure it's top secret but the next class IMO is already well into the planning stages. Considering the time required, the president's prior background with RCG, the timelines between S and E class and with two M class ships that probably need to go, time is ticking. 

No matter what comes out, you can pretty much guarantee there will be a lot of loud complaints. I wouldn't hold my breath for any relics resembling 1990's Century class ships. 

• Like 1

Hcat Wish List!

No Creaky Ships..

Nothing Huge

More Balconies

Comfy furniture

T Pool Inside the Spa

Keep EDEN area as is

Keep the 4 mdr concept

Keep AQ Class/ BLU  

Nicer suite RETREAT indoors and a  larger Retreat pool outside

Small kids only pool 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, canderson said:

100% agree.  Sound needs to isolated (unlike E class) so that both loud and quiet spaces can coexist!

And yes, fire Kelly Hoppen before considering interior design.

If they get any quieter, this 60 year old is moving on..

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hcat Wish List!

No Creaky Ships..

Nothing Huge

More Balconies

Comfy furniture

T Pool Inside the Spa

Keep EDEN area as is

Keep the 4 mdr concept

Keep AQ Class/ BLU  

Nicer suite RETREAT indoors and a  larger Retreat pool outside

Small kids only pool 

I’m good with all that..

I don’t have the answer as to when the next class of ships will be announced but I think they are already under development. I’m not sure Celebrity can wait until 2030 to come out with a new class of ships. The M class will be 30 years in 2030 and the S class will be 20 years old. So I do not think Celebrity can afford to wait that long if they want to maintain their market share. I thought i read where Michael Bailey of Royal Caribbean made reference to the fact that Royal Carribean was building a new small class of cruise ships. I would not be surprised if Celebrity and Royal Caribbean share the same platform for a new class of ships. Similar to the Radiance and the M class of ships. I do not think the new class of ships will be bigger than the Beyond. Laura has already said these sized ships are Celebrity’s sweet spot. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adjustman said:

I don’t have the answer as to when the next class of ships will be announced but I think they are already under development. I’m not sure Celebrity can wait until 2030 to come out with a new class of ships. The M class will be 30 years in 2030 and the S class will be 20 years old. So I do not think Celebrity can afford to wait that long if they want to maintain their market share. I thought i read where Michael Bailey of Royal Caribbean made reference to the fact that Royal Carribean was building a new small class of cruise ships. I would not be surprised if Celebrity and Royal Caribbean share the same platform for a new class of ships. Similar to the Radiance and the M class of ships. I do not think the new class of ships will be bigger than the Beyond. Laura has already said these sized ships are Celebrity’s sweet spot. Just my opinion.

Many people like the M class.  But I think I will miss some of the specialty restaurants and bars on S class.  No Murano.  I’m only sailing Millie because I want to cruise in Bali.  I didn’t do it for the ship.  

If the ships are even smaller I imagine they have fewer amenities.  I don’t need another Viking Ocean with a great spa but limited dining.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

If they get any quieter, this 60 year old is moving on..

What, the noisy areas? 

Or do you want the quiet areas noisier???

Do you believe that the loud music from the Martini Bar should be heard in what should be a quieter dining venue on another deck?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

What, the noisy areas? 

Or do you want the quiet areas noisier???

Do you believe that the loud music from the Martini Bar should be heard in what should be a quieter dining venue on another deck?

Can’t we have both?  On Equinox years ago I remember a quiet forward lounge.  On Eclipse You had someone on the mike all day.

I would agree to replace all the 70s music with a rotating mix of Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis and Billy Idol.

I think the biggest miss was not creating a buffer from the Martini Bat area and LGB and il Bacio.  IMO the design of the Eden bar lounge and Eden restaurant does a much better job since I can still hear the music but it has never intruded on my conversation while dining.

• Like 1

Royal is working on their replacement for the Radiance (and Vision) class. It wouldn't surprise me if there is carryover to Celebrity as well. Radiance Class and M class are VERY similar. If you look closely at S-Class, you'll see the similarities to Royal's Quantum Class. E-Class was where Virtual Balconies and the new bow design were implemented first - before appearing on the Icon class. So, if one is working on something, there will likely be carry-over to the others.

And the place where Celebrity's fleet is getting older is the smaller ships that can do longer cruises to smaller ports.

6 hours ago, Volk9048 said:

I think the next ship might be smaller and a X version of the new smaller Royal ships soon to be announced.  The M class are popular but aging out.  I a, guess just a little bigger than the M class.   We will see.  

That would be nice.  I just hope that they are not muffed up like E class ...

Just now, NMTraveller said:

That would be nice.  I just hope that they are not muffed up like E class ...

Muffed up?  You mean you don’t like them?  I like the services on E class just not the IV cabins.  Sky Suite is ok but you shouldn’t have to pay extra for a balcony.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Muffed up?  You mean you don’t like them?  I like the services on E class just not the IV cabins.  Sky Suite is ok but you shouldn’t have to pay extra for a balcony.

The people that like M class,  like them for different reasons.  E class is the antithesis of M.  Why build a smaller ship that is crowded,  loud and shouty?

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The people that like M class,  like them for different reasons.  E class is the antithesis of M.  Why build a smaller ship that is crowded,  loud and shouty?

I was quite happy on S class.  I think that should be the model maybe with some renovated ships.  But not renovated by Kelly.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I agree with you about E-class.  Having done a 15-day and a 13-day cruise on Millennium last year and this year, I find her to be anything but "crowded, loud and shouty.  

It would not break my heart for the E-class to disappear into the sunset. 

• Like 1