The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 1st, 2024

richwmn

I was looking for a recipe in my mother's recipe box, when I found a recipe for American Chop Suey that she'd clipped from a magazine.  I know I've not made it, and I can't remember her making it either.  We usually just opened a can of La Choy Chop Suey.

After our discussion of Chop Suey a few days ago, I thought I'd share the recipe.  I'm not sure when she clipped the recipe, but it was before 1957 or 1958.

pdf20240701_16024106.thumb.jpg.9d2cc9e822664f1069cbbbd23bb47d07.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Good sunny afternoon. I wish the weather would stay like this the rest of the summer. 
   It looks like many prayers are needed for the people in the Caribbean affected by hurricane Beryl and for the area near Denali by the fire. The one news report I saw shows McKinley resort with smoke in the background.

@Seasick SailorJoy, hugs and prayers being sent for your sister and you. 🙏❤️

@marshhawkAnnie, prayers and hugs for you and Chuck.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

@dfish  Trying your version of cole slaw tonight along with brats.

I hope you like it!  My family leaves only the serving bowl.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I was looking for a recipe in my mother's recipe box, when I found a recipe for American Chop Suey that she'd clipped from a magazine.  I know I've not made it, and I can't remember her making it either.  We usually just opened a can of La Choy Chop Suey.

After our discussion of Chop Suey a few days ago, I thought I'd share the recipe.  I'm not sure when she clipped the recipe, but it was before 1957 or 1958.

pdf20240701_16024106.thumb.jpg.9d2cc9e822664f1069cbbbd23bb47d07.jpg

Lenda

Thanks, Lenda.  I don't think that would make me like it any better than I did as a kid.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dfish said:

I hope you like it!  My family leaves only the serving bowl.  

Thanks, Lenda.  I don't think that would make me like it any better than I did as a kid.  

Lenda - I recently bought the can - it wasn't any better than I remembered....YUCK!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Lenda - I recently bought the can - it wasn't any better than I remembered....YUCK!

When we were poor college students and DH was in the Army, we got the can, but it was chow mein.  No that great either.  Been decades since I bought it.  Now, I get a kir with sauce and noodles and make pad Thai.  It helps that I can add what we like.

Lenda

• Like 8

Good afternoon,

We're back from watering DD's garden and checking on the house.  The deer, bunnies and slugs have had a field day sadly.  Her beets were pulled right out of the soil, and all the lettuce, basil and a few other plants were eaten. 😞  I harvested what I could to bring home.

First of all, Joy @Seasick Sailor I'm adding my prayers and hugs for your sister Bonnie, for you and for the family.

Brenda @bennybear Happy Birthday to your DM!

It has turned out to be a bit of a frustrating day.  When I got to the clinic for my labs this morning I found out that they hadn't gotten any lab orders for me from the Nephrologist....what?!?  I was told that they'd been sent in back in April. Ok, so I let the clinic know, and they sent them in again.  But now I can't get an appointment for labs until July 8, which is the same day as my appointment with the doctor.  And she won't be available after July 9, which is too soon to get the results.  So it looks like I may be waiting until early September to see her.

Then at DD's house I saw that several large branches from the neighbor's tree had fallen into DD's back yard.  Thankfully there was no damage, but that was a shock.  There haven't been any windstorms and the branches didn't look rotten -- very odd.  It's been a strange day all around.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Please pray for my sister. Her biopsy came back as positive for breast cancer.

Joy, tough news for all of you. Praying that the proposed treatment for Bonnie eliminates the cancer. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who wished all Canadians a Happy Day.  My two cats do not seem to bother about the fireworks, and I had a bichon, Hamish that loved them.  Used to sit out with us at our local park to watch them.  Of course, our neighbours dog, a pit bull, had to always be sedated, and his owners, stayed in the basement with him wrapped in his blanket. 

Kate 

• Like 11

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit Run.  The name of the street we are moving to on Wednesday.  I’ve been MIA the past few days as we’ve been busy getting our condo ready for the new owners tomorrow.  I couldn’t let this day pass without wishing all of our Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! 🇨🇦  Sorry to hear of @Seasick Sailor’s sister’s diagnosis, I will say a prayer for her before I turn in soon. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of your day.  I’m tired 🥱 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

@Seasick Sailor Joy your news for your sister is a shock but I know you’ll be helping her through it and we’ll be alongside you both. Blessings for the right path. 

@Vict0riann Ann, glad to hear you’re recovering, and the lymph nodes weren’t involved!  You’ll get through the radiation just fine!  One day at a time. Just please don’t overdo with the weeding. Pat needs you too!  

@marshhawk Annie, sending hugs!  You made it through this day!  Yay!  

Eye doctor was satisfied with DH’s vision and field test (stable) if not the pressure. We’re on the last of the steroid tapering schedule, return in a month and they’ll decide if going back to a med in the one eye is warranted, other eye is doing well!  Very grateful!  m—

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Joy @Seasick Sailor my prayers are sent up for your sister Bonnie. I know she’ll appreciate your support through this. 

Annie @marshhawk hugs to you (and Chuck). Good advice Debbie @dfish gave to go with the flow. 

Brenda @bennybear belated birthday wishes to your DM. I hope all enjoyed the celebration!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1