Snobbery on cruise lines?

We have stayed away from the upscale cruise lines partly because of cost but also because of fear of snobbery, although we have been on Oceania and Azamara and  didn’t have a problem with those. Any comments on these other ones? 

Crystal 
 Hapag-Lloyd

Paul Gauguin  

Regent Seven Seas •

Seabourn Cruise Line 

Silversea Cruises 

Viking Ocean Cruises 
( we didn't love their river cruise)

26 minutes ago, sjde said:
We have stayed away from the upscale cruise lines partly because of cost but also because of fear of snobbery, although we have been on Oceania and Azamara and  didn’t have a problem with those. Any comments on these other ones? 

Crystal 
 Hapag-Lloyd

Paul Gauguin  

Regent Seven Seas •

Seabourn Cruise Line 

Silversea Cruises 

Viking Ocean Cruises 

You’ll get a few more included amenities on Oceania’s sister line Regent. But, the fare will be $ thousands more. Even if you add the extra items as purchases on O, Regent will still be much more expensive (for very much the same bottom line experience.

IMO, Gauguin and Viking are not in the same ballpark as any of the other lines you mentioned- perhaps they’re more upper end of the mass market.

I dont think your fear is well founded. There is a (small) segment of society who behave like snobs, just as there are those who are deliberately uncouth. Both are rude,and lacking in good manners, and both exist just about everywhere, regardless of the cost of their accommodations.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We have not taken Cunard but I was surprised I think to see them with the mainstream list because I thought they were more upscale.

We are lucky enough in our retirement to cruise the lines with smaller ships.  They do cost more, but we choose that over new cars or other life choices.  If someone onboard is snooty about being there we listen and ignore.  In the main, passengers are like us and just enjoy    I find the trend toward buying up to amenities on ships that makes for a much more first class second class experience the chance for snootiness.  Just my thought.  We all just like the experience of cruising r we wouldn’t be here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjde said:

We have not taken Cunard but I was surprised I think to see them with the mainstream list because I thought they were more upscale.

Like HAL, Cunard was a contender many many years ago. Now, it’s at/near the top of the mass market heap with lines like HAL, Celebrity and Viking. 

4 hours ago, sjde said:
We have stayed away from the upscale cruise lines partly because of cost …..

One other important item. Don’t make the common mistake of only comparing cabin costs!

Look at the bottom line of “net daily rate” which is all required and optionally desired cruise services and amenities. 
That premium/luxury cruise line’s fare may include airfare or air credit, all beverages, unlimited internet, specialty dining, excursions, etc.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sjde said:

Crystal 
 Hapag-Lloyd

Paul Gauguin  

Regent Seven Seas •

Seabourn Cruise Line 

Silversea Cruises 

Viking Ocean Cruises 

I think that your fears are unfounded and especially around cost.  As @Flatbush Flyer states, the premium to luxury lines include so much more that you must look at a per night amount rather than the sticker cost of the cabin.

I am sure that some consider us snobby because our preferred cruise line is Viking Ocean, and some friends (at a distance) have commented in ways that suggest they think we are exactly that because of the cost...

But, if I met you on a Viking Cruise and you told me that this was your first Viking cruise and you had sailed exclusively on Carnival in the past, I would be immediately interested to hear your experiences with Carnival and what you loved about them to sail that line many times.  We don't judge you based on your choices, or consider ourselves better because we are on Viking.

We are limited now to experiences on Viking, Uniworld, and Hurtigruten, but the people we have met on these lines have been very down to earth.

• Like 2

Do not find this a problem on the cruises we have done......Windstar, Azamara, Viking

My thought is that I have paid for the experience just like anyone else

• Like 1

I have met a few 'snobs' who think they are better than, more important than, or more knowledgeable that everyone else.

You know the type ..... I have done a bit of boating therefore I am more knowledgeable that the ships officers.

Do you know who I am???   
When 'no and i don't care' is the answer the reaction can be hilarious.

Sometimes, just look at them, sigh and shake your head and walk off.

It is so nice to chop them off at the ankles.

View self proclaimed snobs are a source of amusement!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

We’ve done two Seabourn cruises to Alaska 2022 and Antarctica this year and they were amazing. We met some fabulous people and had so much fun. We’re very down to earth and these were big $$$ to us. We chose Seabourn for the size of the ship, itinerary, what’s included and went back for a second and have booked a third for Greenland next year. One of the things we really enjoyed is that everyone is treated the same by their wonderful crew. We’ve also sailed Princess last year in the Mediterranean. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I have met a few 'snobs' who think they are better than, more important than, or more knowledgeable that everyone else.

You know the type ..... I have done a bit of boating therefore I am more knowledgeable that the ships officers.

Do you know who I am???   
When 'no and i don't care' is the answer the reaction can be hilarious.

Sometimes, just look at them, sigh and shake your head and walk off.

It is so nice to chop them off at the ankles.

View self proclaimed snobs are a source of amusement!

Cruise ships, regardless of category, can have some irritating people including snobs.  I totally agree with you that they are often a source of amusement.   I should be used to it by now, but am still surprised (and bored by) how some just cannot help but share their financials.  Fortunately, the vast majority of folks are enjoyable to be around.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This former Minnesota farm girl has always stayed clear of the 'luxe' lines for the same reason.  We stopped cruising on Grand Circle's small ships because of the plethora of retired 'educators' who dominated the dinner tables with their tiresome opinions.  But that was a long time ago.  I am delighted to read these responses that my outlook is probably wrong.  We sailed Queen Victoria in Norway a few years ago and I just loved her 'real elegance' with little snobbery evident.  And she was just about the same price as the usual 'mass market' ships.  I will broaden my searches in the future.  It's a simple matter to calculate the true cost of a cruise.  Thank you all.

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 2

Having completed World Cruises on both Princess (mass market) and Viking Ocean (premium), we experienced more snobbery on Princess than on Viking. On Princess we experienced the Platinum Card crowd and the Suites crowd, with many in both groups believing they were special.

Viking have no loyalty program, so once outside the cabin, everyone is treated equally. Yes, those booking more expensive cabins receive pre-cruise booking perks, but once onboard everyone is equal.

Comparing the cost of both cruises, the Viking base fare was significantly higher, but after the cruise, when all costs were accounted for, the daily cost was virtually identical.

• Like 3

We agree with Heidi 13.  We have cruised on 17 cruise lines, including budget, mass market, and luxury lines.  The most snobbism we have encountered has been on the various mass market lines.  On the luxury (or some might say ultra luxury) lines we have found folks to be more sociable and down to earth.  At first, we thought it was just a matter of luck.  We now think that when you cruise on a luxury line, just being on the ship makes you a "member of the club" and nobody has anything to prove by acting superior.  

Although we still enjoy some of the mass market lines (especially Princess) we also feel right at home when we get on a Seabourn, Explora journeys, etc. ship.  And by the way, Viking is not the only line to NOT have a loyalty program.  Explora Journeys as yet to have any kind of loyalty program.  But I will admit that we do like the loyalty program on Seabourn because it gets us free laundry :).  If that makes us snobs,  so be it!

Hank

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We agree with Heidi 13.  We have cruised on 17 cruise lines, including budget, mass market, and luxury lines.  The most snobbism we have encountered has been on the various mass market lines.  On the luxury (or some might say ultra luxury) lines we have found folks to be more sociable and down to earth.  At first, we thought it was just a matter of luck.  We now think that when you cruise on a luxury line, just being on the ship makes you a "member of the club" and nobody has anything to prove by acting superior.  

Although we still enjoy some of the mass market lines (especially Princess) we also feel right at home when we get on a Seabourn, Explora journeys, etc. ship.  And by the way, Viking is not the only line to NOT have a loyalty program.  Explora Journeys as yet to have any kind of loyalty program.  But I will admit that we do like the loyalty program on Seabourn because it gets us free laundry :).  If that makes us snobs,  so be it!

Hank

I hate it when people flaunt their freshly laundered clothes!  😄😄😄

• Haha 14

11 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We are limited now to experiences on Viking, Uniworld, and Hurtigruten, but the people we have met on these lines have been very down to earth.

We've sailed Hurtigruten twice and SO agree with you. They were from all over the planet (only two other US'ers) and so fun and easy to be with.

13 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

1 hour ago, clo said:

We've sailed Hurtigruten twice and SO agree with you. They were from all over the planet (only two other US'ers) and so fun and easy to be with.

I think most fellow passengers on cruise ships are great to be around.   The ones that seem to hover around waiting to criticize everything (kind of like a few posters here on CC) are fortunately not numerous.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, sjde said:

Are Oceania and Azamara the only ones without formal nights? 

Celebrity does not have formal nights.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sjde said:

AFAIK, Cunard is the only mainstream large cruiseline with enforced formal nights in the MDRs. Amongst the premium and luxury lines, only a very few have formal nights. Seaborne may have some formal nights, as does Silversea.

1 hour ago, sjde said:

NCL has no formal night and pretty much no dress code for dining except in their most expensive extra charge restaurant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

and then book suites, places called “the haven”, and other uncrowded spots (at premium prices)

And then make a point to regularly let you (not YOU) know where their accommodation is are braggarts which seems related to snobs.  And how many cruises they've been on over how many years?

• Like 1