Snobbery on cruise lines?

Just now, ldubs said:

Enjoy! 

Tunic is a term I don't hear very often!  I had to look it up to discover it is now descriptive of a long shirt (I supposYe "top" in your case). Clearly, I'm out of touch with the fashion world.  haha.    

Yes. It goes below my hips and is the same fabric and color (black) as the skirt. It's a very lightweight fabric and takes up almost not space. I've had it for eons. So basic it never goes out of style. Not that I'm particularly stylish 🙂

• Like 2

We are blessed with a very large group of family and friends.  I cannot imagine anyone I know inviting me to dinner and specifying a dress code. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

We are blessed with a very large group of family and friends.  I cannot imagine anyone I know inviting me to dinner and specifying a dress code. 

We did a "black tie" dinner many years ago. Done with GREAT humor and everyone loved it. Loosy-goosy as to attire.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, clo said:

We did a "black tie" dinner many years ago. Done with GREAT humor and everyone loved it. Loosy-goosy as to attire.

I envision flapper dresses and zoot suits.  😄

We used to attend an annual gala as part of a fund raiser.  Any guy in other than a tux would have stood out like a sore thumb. Women had more options as to style and color.  

Which reminds me, there is unfair treatment when it comes to expected dress for men vs women.   Guys are expected to wear the coat & necktie uniform.  Women can dress comfortably and still look great.  Guy in bib overalls, forget it.  Woman in bib overalls, tres chic (but maybe not on formal night).  

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

That reminds me: my son went to a small college in Montana. The organization that funds many of the scholarships has a "Black Tie & Blue Jeans" fundraiser. Instead of bow ties, there were bolos. The blue jeans are very nice, dark ones, and they wear cowboy boots that have definitely never been near a horse stable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

That reminds me: my son went to a small college in Montana. The organization that funds many of the scholarships has a "Black Tie & Blue Jeans" fundraiser. Instead of bow ties, there were bolos. The blue jeans are very nice, dark ones, and they wear cowboy boots that have definitely never been near a horse stable. 

I love that story. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

My husband worked for Levi Strauss & Co. for almost 25 years. They actually published a booklet about how to "dress casual" for work without being too-too 🙂 Here's an article I just found about the booklet they published and sent to 25,000 HR departments around the country. Maybe to cruise lines?

https://slate.com/business/2014/08/levis-business-casual-how-the-clothier-standardized-office-casual-in-american-workplaces.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clo said:

My husband worked for Levi Strauss & Co. for almost 25 years. They actually published a booklet about how to "dress casual" for work without being too-too 🙂 Here's an article I just found about the booklet they published and sent to 25,000 HR departments around the country. Maybe to cruise lines?

https://slate.com/business/2014/08/levis-business-casual-how-the-clothier-standardized-office-casual-in-american-workplaces.html

Brilliant marketing! Thanks for sharing. 

On 7/14/2024 at 12:19 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

I have met a few 'snobs' who think they are better than, more important than, or more knowledgeable that everyone else.

You know the type ..... I have done a bit of boating therefore I am more knowledgeable that the ships officers.

Do you know who I am???   
When 'no and i don't care' is the answer the reaction can be hilarious.

Sometimes, just look at them, sigh and shake your head and walk off.

It is so nice to chop them off at the ankles.

View self proclaimed snobs are a source of amusement!

I love it when people like that say "do you know who I am?"

Must be a northern England thing, because I take that as my cue to rinse them.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I usually ask them how long have they suffered from amnesia. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Years ago, in an attempt to bring our extended family into some semblance of gentility, my sister hosted a 'black tie' dinner at her home.  So, I rented a number of black ties  and even was able to purchase a big black bow which I reconstructed into a collar for her dog.  At the appointed dinner hour, I handed out all the ties to various family members (including children) who donned them over their very casual clothing.  My sister and her husband, who were the only ones in formal clothing, were stunned before bursting into laughter.  She never again hosted such a gathering for our bunch. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Oh no. It happens here in the US.  Remember Bruce Jenner? Now Caitlyn Jenner? Some years ago he had a home on Lake Tahoe. He went to the nearby (public) golf course wanting to play. The pro said it would be awhile and why didn't he go hit some balls. He said "do you know who I am?" He was told 'yes' but still told it would be a while.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DarrenM said:

You know, I've hear of it being said of course, but I don't think I've actually had anyone say that to me.  I will be ready if it ever happens.  Haha.    

• Like 1

I've only ever heard "Do you know who I am?" in movies and TV shows. 

I've genreally met lovely people while cruising. 

We are just simple middle class folks who lived below our means, maximized tax-defered compensation (like a 401[k] but for public servants), and invested agressively since we were in our 20s, then retired in our mid 50s.

We've traveled and cruised quite a bit, especially in the last few years since retiring, which we did just before the Covid shutdown. Our cruising has been on a variety of lines, mostly Celebrity, followed by Princess.

Our most recent cruise was our second expedition on Silversea. While we certainly got the impression that we were of a far lower socio-economic class than the majority of passengers, we never got the impression that anyone felt we weren't worthy of being there. No one ever gave off a snobbish attitude. 

Neither did we experience snobbery on Windstar, Azamara, Ama River, nor Viking Ocean. We never experienced it on Celebrity, even when we lucked into a suite via the Move Up program. 

We had a slight whiff of snobbery on Princess just once, when an "Elite" passenger felt the need to be seated before others at a specialty restaurant.

Maybe we have been lucky. Maybe we have been oblivious. Maybe we have just focused on our own enjoyment. 

I'd like to think that, if we do encounter snobbishness, we will manage to let it roll off our backs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I've only ever heard "Do you know who I am?" in movies and TV shows. 

I've genreally met lovely people while cruising. 

We are just simple middle class folks who lived below our means, maximized tax-defered compensation (like a 401[k] but for public servants), and invested agressively since we were in our 20s, then retired in our mid 50s.

We've traveled and cruised quite a bit, especially in the last few years since retiring, which we did just before the Covid shutdown. Our cruising has been on a variety of lines, mostly Celebrity, followed by Princess.

Our most recent cruise was our second expedition on Silversea. While we certainly got the impression that we were of a far lower socio-economic class than the majority of passengers, we never got the impression that anyone felt we weren't worthy of being there. No one ever gave off a snobbish attitude. 

Neither did we experience snobbery on Windstar, Azamara, Ama River, nor Viking Ocean. We never experienced it on Celebrity, even when we lucked into a suite via the Move Up program. 

We had a slight whiff of snobbery on Princess just once, when an "Elite" passenger felt the need to be seated before others at a specialty restaurant.

Maybe we have been lucky. Maybe we have been oblivious. Maybe we have just focused on our own enjoyment. 

I'd like to think that, if we do encounter snobbishness, we will manage to let it roll off our backs. 

I love this!  My travelling life has gone much the same way ... if I've encountered any real snobbery I was oblivious to it.  After all, I don't know any of these people, so why would I care what they think of me?  Makes for a pleasant life.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Anyone looking for cruise-related snobbery need look no further than this thread.

I see that more as people expecting others to dress "appropriately" for an event. Of course, "appropriately" is going to vary by person (and event) and if the cruise line allows it then it's "appropriate", regardless of how each individual feels. (Looking down on someone else for their choice of clothing would, of course, be snobbery [and one can look down on someone wearing a tuxedo if it isn't the "right" label].)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I see that more as people expecting others to dress "appropriately" for an event. Of course, "appropriately" is going to vary by person (and event) and if the cruise line allows it then it's "appropriate", regardless of how each individual feels. (Looking down on someone else for their choice of clothing would, of course, be snobbery [and one can look down on someone wearing a tuxedo if it isn't the "right" label].)

The smug references to "Costco" and "Golden Corral" among others definitely put the poster into the snob category. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The smug references to "Costco" and "Golden Corral" among others definitely put the poster into the snob category. 

The poster, sure, but the thread as a whole, no. (I provided my thoughts to that thread without reading all of the first post, so I did miss those references.)

Agreed, K32682  -was thinking exactly same thing and you beat me to saying it.

Not the topic or thread itself but the snobby condescending comments it was opened with.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2024 at 7:34 AM, Markanddonna said:

I personally never met a snobby person on any of my cruises, but Celebrity is about as high up as we go. What rankles me are the silly ceremonies to honor the highest-ranking loyalty members. Really? I'm clapping for a person who has so much money and free time that they have cruised for 3,000 days with that cruise line?  If it were me in their place, I'd forego the event. 

Is this an actual thing for the entire ship? I get maybe having a private thanks from the cruise line with the captain or whatever-but to make a spectacle about 1 person...how do I make sure I avoid this when I go on my first cruise in Nov?

15 minutes ago, melski68 said:

Is this an actual thing for the entire ship? I get maybe having a private thanks from the cruise line with the captain or whatever-but to make a spectacle about 1 person...how do I make sure I avoid this when I go on my first cruise in Nov?

Easy, you are not required to attend that reception.