Uncomfortable experience with sommelier

I am glad you were able to avoid a triggering event. I agree that you should send an email to corporate and speak to the hotel and food and beverage director onboard now. Celebrity will try to do better with staff education on this issue as part of their quality improvement program.  I think some of the posters here have no experience with alcoholism, narcotic addiction, and the difficult path to recovery. Kudos to you.

On a separate note, Celebrity promotes from within - and that is great. However I find it absurd that someone from the security staff - scanning your card on/off the ship level position - moves to the position of a butler. Or the former assistant waiter becomes a sommelier and so on. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sometimes “nice” only goes so far.  How do you respond to those questions?  Some people joke and some don’t want to explain.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I joke, sometimes I explain that I just don’t like alcoholic drinks. 
I never feel there’s a reason to be not nice though. People who react stupidly to it are too stupid to get upset about 😁

Most all of my requests for 'no wine' with meals are respected.   When my husb places his wine  order, my wine glass is removed. I usually get club soda with lime with dinner. (I am diabetic type 2  and alc clashes  with my meds)  I splurge a few times for a Baileys after dinner, but never had alc pushed on me!  

Very bad, behavior, esp if person was  a credentialed sommelier. OP thanks for the heads up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I joke, sometimes I explain that I just don’t like alcoholic drinks. 
I never feel there’s a reason to be not nice though. People who react stupidly to it are too stupid to get upset about 😁

I always say 'No, thank you.' and never offer any type of explanation or reaction.  

I wouldn't spend any time or effort following up with Celebrity either onboard or later; I dismiss this sort of behaviour and let it go immediately.

• Like 3

I'm disappointed in how the sommelier handled this situation. I'm also incredibly disappointed in some of the insensitive comments in this thread treating the situation as "no big deal, just don't drink it." We have no idea how big a deal it is to the OP to have that glass of alcohol right in front of him. No idea at all. And we're not due an explanation either.

• Like 26

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I always say 'No, thank you.' and never offer any type of explanation or reaction.  

the question was how I respond to questions. When I am offered I just say no as well - different situation.

See the replies here are why I was originally tempted not to bother saying anything.

”What’s the big deal? Just take it and not drink it.”

You’re right, it’s not a big deal. I get poured or offered a drink all the time. It really is no big deal. I just say no thanks or whatever. Often you get the free bottle of wine in your room for whatever reason. No big deal I just tell the room steward no thanks and they can take it. 

BUT imagine if I told the room steward no thanks to that free bottle of wine and they tried to talk me into keeping it. They more or less insist you have it and it’s “just for the cruise.” That is basically what happened here and why it bothered me so much and where it becomes a big deal. 

It’s also something I’ve never experienced and was unprepared to deal with. Should I have posted here? Clearly not. At the time I was just lost and thought this a good place to vent to fellow cruisers.

• Like 7

I'm so sorry that this happened and that you have received such insensitive responses from some on this forum. Anyone who has people in their lives who are in recovery understands that the way you were treated is unacceptable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

See the replies here are why I was originally tempted not to bother saying anything.

You’re right, it’s not a big deal. I get poured or offered a drink all the time. It really is no big deal. I just say no thanks or whatever. Often you get the free bottle of wine in your room for whatever reason. No big deal I just tell the room steward no thanks and they can take it. 

BUT imagine if I told the room steward no thanks to that free bottle of wine and they tried to talk me into keeping it. They more or less insist you have it and it’s “just for the cruise.” That is basically what happened here and why it bothered me so much and where it becomes a big deal. 

It’s also something I’ve never experienced and was unprepared to deal with. Should I have posted here? Clearly not. At the time I was just lost and thought this a good place to vent to fellow cruisers.

You owe no explanation for your reasoning on informing them you do not want the alcohol, more than once even.  There is absolutely no reason you should be put in the position of just dealing with it, leave it there etc etc etc.  One can be easy going type, the just let it slide, go along to get along.  Until maybe they get served something with nuts et al if they told them they had an allergy.  

• Like 4

If you don’t drink coffee, how many times at breakfast should you have to refuse before feeling slightly annoyed that the cup wasn’t removed, or at least turned over, the first time? 

This was, in the end, a service issue. If a guest request is reasonable, it should be granted easily. It’s a training issue that a simple conversation between the sommelier and manager should fix. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cyntil8ing said:

If you don’t drink coffee, how many times at breakfast should you have to refuse before feeling slightly annoyed that the cup wasn’t removed, or at least turned over, the first time? 

This was, in the end, a service issue. If a guest request is reasonable, it should be granted easily. It’s a training issue that a simple conversation between the sommelier and manager should fix. 

Celebrity uses the title of "sommelier" very liberally and generous.  A true professional sommelier would have understood and handled it far more appropriately.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

Unfortunately many on here feel the need to be critical when it’s not needed.  Whether it be a family deciding for their own reasons to have one stateroom to what ppl wear.  The internet anonymity seems to create the mentality that it is acceptable behavior.  Just know that some are supportive and have solid, straightforward, unbiased opinions.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

In all fairness, no matter if the sommelier could have handled the situation better or not, he didn’t insist on you drinking it. You wrote he said it’s only for the toast.

As I mentioned before, it often happens to me as well. I toast, don’t drink and set the glass down - or wait till DW emptied her glass and then change glasses. Life’s too short to get upset - says DW 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Liao said:

Celebrity uses the title of "sommelier" very liberally and generous.

I haven’t really heard the term used on a ship in many years. It’s more common to hear bar server, as it is the same person who will serve all of your drinks. No idea if sommelier is their actual title, or training.

4 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

I haven’t really heard the term used on a ship in many years. It’s more common to hear bar server, as it is the same person who will serve all of your drinks. No idea if sommelier is their actual title, or training.

Oh they do on Celebrity and they call them "highly trained sommeliers".

13 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

Celebrity uses the title - it's printed on the table and they also introduce themselves as such. 

12 minutes ago, Liao said:

On my last cruise I had one of these highly trained sommeliers bring me the wrong wine 3 times in a row.  After the third time I caved and drank it.  Their training is either non-existent or suspect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liao said:

Our first experience with a "highly trained sommelier" in many years of cruising certainly wasn't on Celebrity - it was last year on a Silversea ship.  Not one, but two individuals with accredited certifications.  Service difference was like night and day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, canderson said:

While he should have taken heed of your request, there was the option, after the first attempt, of just leaving his toasting glass untouched on the table.

Wrong. I don't know OPs situation, but if someone is a recovering alcoholic just having the filled toasting glass present could be enough to send them into a relapse.  The OPs wishes should have been respected the first time they voiced them without pushback.   

I agree with others that you should report it while onboard.  Then follow-up with a letter to the Executive Office.  It seems some additional training may be needed for their staff.  They can't correct the problem if they don't know it exists.

• Like 10

I hope you feel comfortable enough to report this while on board. If it helps, you could use the QR code that often appears in the daily.

Your request should have been respected. I do not understand why an alternative (sparkling apple cider, water) was not offered by the sommelier.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

Wrong. I don't know OPs situation, but if someone is a recovering alcoholic just having the filled toasting glass present could be enough to send them into a relapse.  The OPs wishes should have been respected the first time they voiced them without pushback.   

I agree with others that you should report it while onboard.  Then follow-up with a letter to the Executive Office.  It seems some additional training may be needed for their staff.  They can't correct the problem if they don't know it exists.

Yes, exactly. Imagine repeatedly pushing an open bowl of peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy when they’ve already told you no. “Just hold the peanuts for the picture, ok?” Um, no. It’s definitely not the same as someone who just doesn’t care for peanuts so prefers not to ingest them. They’re toxic to some people.

Edited by thebutlerdidit
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

As the guy said, it was just for the toast. You didn't have to drink it, and after the toast you could have offered it to someone who'd have appreciated a little extra.

Way over the top reaction by some on here. 

Comments like this one make me wish we had a downvote button.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

I am glad you were able to avoid a triggering event. I agree that you should send an email to corporate and speak to the hotel and food and beverage director onboard now. Celebrity will try to do better with staff education on this issue as part of their quality improvement program.  I think some of the posters here have no experience with alcoholism, narcotic addiction, and the difficult path to recovery. Kudos to you.

On a separate note, Celebrity promotes from within - and that is great. However I find it absurd that someone from the security staff - scanning your card on/off the ship level position - moves to the position of a butler. Or the former assistant waiter becomes a sommelier and so on. 

It's called “Equal Opportunity”.

2 hours ago, snoopydo said:

Take comfort and support from the posters who have supported your views, feelings and emotions…

• Like 3

Not acceptable at all. If a customer says no, then no further explenation is needed. Guest wants  non alcoholic drink, then just bring it.

I would escalate the situation right on board.

• Like 4