Infinite Balcony Question

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Viking does have the Nordic balconies on the Expedition ships.  We are booked into one on Octantis.  The top half of the window slides down to open air.  

image.jpeg.77a9b17b61dea78efec11d848e37fa64.jpeg

Why do you call it a balcony?  It appears to be a window???

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why do you call it a balcony?  It appears to be a window???

Appears to be?

Show to anyone over the age of 5 year and I am pretty certain they will be happy to confirm that it is a window

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So who books a cruise with a rainy itinerary?  Asking for a friend 🙈

Canada New England in the fall and leaving from Seattle to Alaska are cool and could be rainy itineraries also anything leaving from NY NJ to the Caribbean in the winter months are cold and rainy.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

The reality is there are different reasons why people post about these IV cabins:

1.  Some have stayed in them and liked the experience;

2.  Some have stayed and disliked them for a number of reasons;

3.  Others have no interest as other type cabins appeal to them like suites or SV aft cabins;

4.  Finally there are those who just are negative and whine endlessly even though they haven’t even been in one and my guess are looking for attention.

Honestly, we prefer Retreat Suites but found nothing wrong with our AQ IV or the one we stayed in for a charity.

If I missed anyone or thing please feel free to add your comments.

Thanks

Those who just like the newest ships with the newest bells and whistles who will sail on any lame inaugural itinerary just to say they were the first.

12 hours ago, Oville said:

The reality is there are different reasons why people post about these IV cabins:

3.  Others have no interest as other type cabins appeal to them like suites or SV aft cabins;

4.  Finally there are those who just are negative and whine endlessly even though they haven’t even been in one and my guess are looking for attention.

Honestly, we prefer Retreat Suites but found nothing wrong with our AQ IV or the one we stayed in for a charity.

Thanks

#4 is on point..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I always check the weather forecast when I book my cruises..  🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always check the weather forecast when I book my cruises..  🙂

I heard Europe was rainy.  But we only got a couple of drops while outside during my cruise.

I purchased waterproof shoes for my south NZ ports.  Never had to use them either...

13 hours ago, Oville said:

Thanks

@Orville Good summary comments.

E-Class (Edge) started construction in 2016 so many of us have known about IV's for 8 years.  Some on these boards have been negative about them for 8 years.  

We have never sailed in one and have no interest.  We put ourselves firmly in your point #3 but do not at all begrudge those that like or even love IV's.  Their money and their choice!  Maybe we are in fact missing something by not trying them!

But 100's of thousands of people (new to Celebrity and existing loyal cruisers) have sailed in them and continue to do so.  That means that a huge number of people are OK with them.

So point #4 is spot on.  Sail on another class of Celebrity ship or in an SV or suite on E-Class.  Or another cruise line.  With balconies.  There are a few out there I think.  Why keep up the negativity?  Or wait for Next-Class with a mix of IV's and real balconies.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I book for hurricane season - cause I'm cheap!  So far I've not had a rainy cruise - but one sure was windy & rocked the entire time. Warnings were posted when going on the upper deck but they never admitted to anyone being blown overboard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

What does it matter what it is called? We're all old enough to make a choice. It's very clear what it actually is, and I don't give a flying fig what they call it, I'll either book one or I won't. We get it, you don't like it, but we don't need to be told a thousand times, it's becoming tedious.

And yet, I already know you were told a thousand and one (or more) & I haven't finished reading the thread past your post.  lol.

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

We like them...our enclosed lanai or sunroom!  not a balc

Oh..  let's start calling it a luxurious lanai!  So tropical and vacation like.    That should make everyone happy, right?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Oh..  let's start calling it a luxurious lanai!  So tropical and vacation like.    That should make everyone happy, right?

you can  call it whatever u want.. that's what we  call it.. also a great reading nook!

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

But you didn’t include those who just like conventional balconies I,e. the most common type of cabin on S line ships.

Nor those who for mobility/pain issues need proper chairs that provide back support and know, without needing to sit in them because we live with these issues every day, that the furniture on E class is not suitable.

I find opinions difficult to navigate because many are unclear of this also.  I like that Orville is upfront about traveling in suites so I can take that background into account.  I spend lots of money on toys - like waverunners & such - but I focus on my purchases to get better value.  I doubt I ever travel in a suite unless there is an incredible price tied to it.  I don't think the opinion is irrelevant in this situation, but someone in suites probably appreciates extra space enough to pay extra.

My opinion is going to be influenced by value every time.  Right now IVs are cheaper than balconies on the Edge class - if balconies were cheaper, I'd gladly change to a balcony.  But in all honesty I don't really care about anything that anyone has posted positive or negative about either except one thing - those tiny chairs.  If I cared what my photos looked like, I do think the 'look' is trendy.  But I don't have back problems, but as I get older small chairs do make my back hurt after an hour or so.  But again, that has nothing to do with these cabins - the balconies have the same (what I believe to be) crappy chairs.

I embark tomorrow - and Celebrity has responded I won't have to deal with the crappy chairs.  We shall see.

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Too funny.  I live in Texas - if you call any structure a lanai in this state, the looks/responses you'll get from natives are going to be worse than your thoughts about the word 'balcony' being used for an IV. People can be overly 'honest' in this state too.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2024 at 10:22 AM, cw2go said:

I am not sure of dimensions but the curtains do take away some of the sideline views. For me it was a cleaner/clearer view to the outdoors, very much like a river boat. When looking down you don't see the balcony below you, neighbors don't see me in my jammies, no peeping around the side walls, the life boats aren't on blast. I could go on and on but it's all been covered. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing because I was very skeptical until I actually sailed in one. I find the pros outweighed the cons. 

Patty 

Hi Patty

Just curious.  If you stick your head through the open window, isn't it just like leaning over the railing of a regular balcony.  In other words, if you do so, can't you look back into the cabin next to yours?  Or look down into the cabin below yours?

Larry

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

14 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Hi Patty

Just curious.  If you stick your head through the open window, isn't it just like leaning over the railing of a regular balcony.  In other words, if you do so, can't you look back into the cabin next to yours?  Or look down into the cabin below yours?

Larry

These are probably the people that fall off of ships leaving everyone wondering why. 

I haven't been in an IV yet but I've been in a balcony a few times.  Almost always I meet/say hi to my neighbors to the sides because you don't have to lean at all to see each other if you are both standing at the railing.  If someone is talking on a balcony next to you, you could easily join their conversation if you wanted to most of the time. 

I don't know about the conversation part in an IV, but you'd have to crane your neck to see down the rail.  It'd still take some effort to see into the neighbors IV where there are plenty of gaps to see into a balcony next to you.  Some ships may be different but this has been my experience with balconies.

12 hours ago, the penguins said:

But you didn’t include those who just like conventional balconies I,e. the most common type of cabin on S line ships.

Nor those who for mobility/pain issues need proper chairs that provide back support and know, without needing to sit in them because we live with these issues every day, that the furniture on E class is not suitable.

Because the topic is E class.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

HAL had Lanai cabins on some of it's ships. Basically they took cabins that had windows looking directly on to the Promenade Deck removed the widows and replaced them with patio doors. The doors were then coated with reflective film so from the outside they became giant mirrors. Worked perfectly until you turned the light on in the cabin then the "mirrors" just became clear glass, you very quickly made sure you were fully dressed before putting on the lights/opening the drapes. Outside the patio doors there were 2 Steamer Chairs engraved with the cabin number which were for our exclusive use - mind you we often used toopen the doors to find other passengers using them. The cabin was great for our Amazon river cruise. The ships have now been sold - one to Fred Olsen so it is now sailing out of the UK.

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

HAL had Lanai cabins on some of it's ships. Basically they took cabins that had windows looking directly on to the Promenade Deck removed the widows and replaced them with patio doors. The doors were then coated with reflective film so from the outside they became giant mirrors. Worked perfectly until you turned the light on in the cabin then the "mirrors" just became clear glass, you very quickly made sure you were fully dressed before putting on the lights/opening the drapes. Outside the patio doors there were 2 Steamer Chairs engraved with the cabin number which were for our exclusive use - mind you we often used to open the doors to find other passengers using them. The cabin was great for our Amazon river cruise. The ships have now been sold - one to Fred Olsen so it is now sailing out of the UK.

sorry sent to soon Fred Olsen has renamed the Lanai cabins as Terrace Cabins

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those who just like the newest ships with the newest bells and whistles who will sail on any lame inaugural itinerary just to say they were the first.

And that bothers you why?

2 hours ago, Liao said:

And that bothers you why?

Only because my friends always want us to go and we sail for itinerary not the ship. Those inaugural sailings are also much more expensive than an older ship going to the same ports. I also make it a point not to book a ship before going into or coming out dry dock. They always start the renovations on the last sailings and sometimes finish up on the first sailing out of dry dock.