Tips for dining in under an hour in MDR

For those of you who like to enjoy a longer dining experience, that's great, but this isn't the thread for you.😉

I've seen some people mention that they are able to dine in an hour or less in the MDR.  Our experience has always been 90+ minutes no matter whether we share a table with others or get our own for 2 people during Open Seating.  I'm looking for tips on how to tell the staff to move things along more quickly without being rude about it.  Any tips on exactly what to say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ask for a table for two. Read the menu ahead on the Navigator app and decide ahead what you will have. When waiters appear and ask if you want a drink etc. say you are ready to order. We figured out the last two at our table for 5 as we had a restless 7 year old with us. It helps to have a fixed table with the same waiters each night. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ScottishMaid said:

Ask for a table for two. Read the menu ahead on the Navigator app and decide ahead what you will have. When waiters appear and ask if you want a drink etc. say you are ready to order. We figured out the last two at our table for 5 as we had a restless 7 year old with us. It helps to have a fixed table with the same waiters each night. 

Ordering the meal when they are there for the drink order is a good tip, thanks.  We do usually order a glass of wine and that probably does slow things down.  My BF does get restless, too, probably like your 7 yo!

• Haha 1

There was a couple on the GANZ who seemed to be in and out in about 30 minutes or less every night (set dining).  We found out that they didn't order appetizers or dessert.  Not for me, but it worked for them.

• Like 2

If things are slow we often have left and gone up to the lido for dessert and coffee. You can see the desserts there and usually there are no lines at the dessert area. We just have to laugh at the MDR descriptions and then there is one blueberry or a squiggle of the strawberry juice etc.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

There was a couple on the GANZ who seemed to be in and out in about 30 minutes or less every night (set dining).  We found out that they didn't order appetizers or dessert.  Not for me, but it worked for them.

I can definitely do without the dessert most nights.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScottishMaid said:

If things are slow we often have left and gone up to the lido for dessert and coffee. You can see the desserts there and usually there are no lines at the dessert area. We just have to laugh at the MDR descriptions and then there is one blueberry or a squiggle of the strawberry juice etc.

1. I have definitely been underwhelmed by the desserts.  
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Ordering the meal when they are there for the drink order is a good tip, thanks.  We do usually order a glass of wine and that probably does slow things down.  My BF does get restless, too, probably like your 7 yo!

I’ve said at check in to the host and the first waitstaff that approach that “we are pushing on a time deadline, and would like to be done in X minutes, or by (this) O’clock.” If you have fixed seating, just mention it to your waiter/asst. as you first encounter them. Being prepared to order straight away helps (using Navigator to pre choose is perfect). We also like the soup and a starter and if the starter is a cold starter, asking that they be brought together also helps. Be prepared to mention that you may have to skip out on dessert if time runs too late also is helpful. We’ve been in and out in 40 minutes with these approaches. 

• Like 3

On our recent 35 day South Pacific cruise we booked late dining with a table for 2 (but was a table for 4 but only us).  Our first night we told the waiter we like to be in and out in an hour.  We always looked at the menu ahead of time & ordered soon as he came to our table.  We had great waiters & actually made it easy for them.  

• Like 5

We are that couple that wants to get in and out.  Sit at table for 2 only.  Order everything at once and tell them to bring everything at once instead of waiting between each course.  Sometimes they do this and sometimes they don't.  We never order wine and we never order dessert. We probably average around 40 min.  We generally head to a bar for a cocktail before dinner then head to MDR.  

• Like 4

IMO if. You do fixed dining with a table for 2, it can go much faster.

your waiters know and no repeating.

DD D H and I were often done within an hour or slightly over and it was a rare night we were in a rush.  The wine was ready for us and usually one appetizer suffered with a few exceptions.  Some nights one dessert and two forks and other nights none.

no guarantees but I do think fixed can speed things up as your wishes are known.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

IMO if. You do fixed dining with a table for 2, it can go much faster.

your waiters know and no repeating.

DD D H and I were often done within an hour or slightly over and it was a rare night we were in a rush.  The wine was ready for us and usually one appetizer suffered with a few exceptions.  Some nights one dessert and two forks and other nights none.

no guarantees but I do think fixed can speed things up as your wishes are known.

Fixed dining wasn't an option for us. We were assigned Open Seating.

48 minutes ago, hummingbird_206 said:

You can ask to change.  If speed is the first consideration, I would opt for the buffet.

1 hour ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Do you like to eat early or late? We had open seating and loved it on our 22 day cruise.  It seemed like the dining room was more full at early dining, we eat late.  Also, with open dining you can choose early or late depending on your schedule for the day.  We noticed that the MDR usually had a line about 30 minutes after excursions for the day returned.  I also suggest skipping apps and/or dessert.  Dessert is always available in the Lido.  JMO. Cherie

41 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You can ask to change.  If speed is the first consideration, I would opt for the buffet.

We like both the Lido and MDR.  Speed is not the main thing but when it is we go to the Lido.  I'm just asking for help getting out of the MDR in under an hour.

4 hours ago, hummingbird_206 said:

For those of you who like to enjoy a longer dining experience, that's great, but this isn't the thread for you.😉

I've seen some people mention that they are able to dine in an hour or less in the MDR.  Our experience has always been 90+ minutes no matter whether we share a table with others or get our own for 2 people during Open Seating.  I'm looking for tips on how to tell the staff to move things along more quickly without being rude about it.  Any tips on exactly what to say?

When we want to eat under an hour we just tell our waiter that we want to have a quick meal as we have some other plans. They have always sped up the process when we asked. most nights we enjoy the casual pace, but not always.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hummingbird_206 said:

We like both the Lido and MDR.  Speed is not the main thing but when it is we go to the Lido.  I'm just asking for help getting out of the MDR in under an hour.

You have received some good advice in this thread. We ate only in the Lido or specialties on our last cruise, but the hint about knowing what you want for all courses using the Navigator is a good one. I did also use the Navigator for the Lido, so as not to have to get in each section's queue if there wasn't anything I needed from it. The app has the sections' offerings broken down!

• Like 1

Easiest way is to go when it opens or within an hour of closing, just because there are fewer people to serve and less stress in the kitchen. The same goes for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, I also minimize what I actually eat in the MDR--the buffet mostly mimics what's available in the MDR, so you might try other appetizers and desserts or mains in the buffet as an early or late light meal, and skipping dessert in the MDR will also hasten things considerably, and instead just get various smaller portions of the same in the buffet. I even use a personal tray or one I borrow from the burger place to bring a dessert or other snack to have before bed. The other thing I've done to minimize MDR time, and even skip it altogether, is to order a MDR dishes or complete meal through room service, a sort of secret feature of HAL room service. I used to order a few things through room service, like a big salad and creme brulee, things that wouldn't get cold or smell if I save it in my room for a late meal, especially since the buffet is often closed after the early shows and I don't want to wait for the 10:30 buffet meal. Then there are other things I use to speed up service: look up the menu on the TV and ask to order right away, don't order drinks or coffee, ask to bring multiple appetizers at once, don't go to a group table, and telling the servers that you're trying to make a show or other event. The limitation for servers, apart from serving multiple tables, is that they try to keep everyone in their section on the same pace, to avoid constant trips to the kitchen to bring food, but they might be willing to bring all the food out for your meal on one kitchen trip. You can encourage that by thanking them by name, telling them you'll mention their quick service in the post-cruise survey, and learning 'thank you' in Indonesian (terima khasij) and other polite phrases. Skipping MDR dessert is the biggest time-waste, though, since otherwise you can leave after eating your main dish, and I find I get more enjoyment out of having the smaller portions of all the MDR desserts in the buffet anyway, even if the presentation isn't as fancy. 

• Like 2

It is my experience that all of my MDR solo fixed dining meals are less than an hour. At my first dinner service,  I tell my waiter that I am leaving my table in one hour even if all of the courses have not been served.  This always works for me as they stage all of my courses at the waiter station and serve them as soon as each course is completed.  Each cruise dinner service is quicker.  My last dinner service in May was completed in 39 minutes on the final Gala Night. 

After each MDR dinner service, I took the opportunity to thank my waiter and the Assistant Maitre'd followed by a posting on the Navigator app "Let us know" tab.

With the above being said, slow wine service, larger tables, late guest arrivals, and lingering conversation might make your MDR experience different than mine.

• Like 1

I always have open seating but first night ask for an assigned table for one for the entire cruise and let my waiter and assistant know I like to eat fast.  I usually arrive 10 minutes or so before the formal opening time when doors frequently are open, go direct to my table without checking in.  Menu and drink are waiting, waiter isn't usually busy yet, takes my entire order and delivers courses promptly.  I'm usually served and gone in half an hour or so. Frees up time for other activities or good seating in the theater or clubs.

• Like 3

There was a guy who dined near us on our cruise in December. He ordered everything at once and asked for everything to be delivered at once. This included appetizer, entrée & dessert. He was always out in 30 minutes or less. This was in open seating in Club Orange.

• Like 3