Captains Club One Category Upgrade

LIMPIT

Can anyone advise if a switch from a Standard to a Deluxe Inside qualifies for the free upgrade, or do Celebrity class the two as separate categories ?

Posted (edited)

Here is the official Celebrity chart showing the allowable upgrades by ship class (link to the document).

image.png.a7842e99df7e72f6d687a5fa1c100408.png

According to the chart, the answer to your question should be "yes".

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Here is the official Celebrity chart showing the allowable upgrades by ship class (link to the document).

image.png.a7842e99df7e72f6d687a5fa1c100408.png

According to the chart, the answer to your question should be "yes".

Thank you for posting this chart, I was told our booking of an A2 didn’t qualify for an A1 upgrade and yet there’s lots and lots of availability of both categories on our cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LIMPIT said:

Thanks, I will call Guest Services tomorrow to check.

I was not able to upgrade either for my TA next year on the Ascent booked an inside but the deluxe inside did not qualify as a free upgrade 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I thought it was no room upgrade but rather a book an A1 but pay for an A2 type of 'upgrade'?  Have I been reading it wrong? 

Book A1 cabin at the A2 price.

Some have said that A2 must be available in order to do this. 

All this is supposed to be requested at the time of booking. 

I can’t remember if this has been fixed yet, but the Captains Club one cat upgrade cannot be done online even when you enter your Captains Club number. 

Because I usually book FV cabins, I haven’t gotten the CC upgrade in 20+ years. Finally was able to get the benefit when we booked our C1 cabin on Solstice for next year’s TP. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I thought it was no room upgrade but rather a book an A1 but pay for an A2 type of 'upgrade'?  Have I been reading it wrong? 

On Edge class ships an inside is an I2 category and free upgrade to deluxe which is D1 is not allowed. According to my CVP

Just now, drakes2 said:

On Edge class ships an inside is an I2 category and free upgrade to deluxe which is D1 is not allowed. According to my CVP

Thanks.  I was never given a room upgrade but did receive the book for the higher room and pay of the lower one upgrade.  This moving of rooms must be new since we last sailed in a non-Retreat roo was before COVID.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thanks.  I was never given a room upgrade but did receive the book for the higher room and pay of the lower one upgrade.  This moving of rooms must be new since we last sailed in a non-Retreat roo was before COVID.

Things have changed drastically since covid and on E class ships they generally don't upgrade from one category to another without paying for the upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Things have changed drastically since covid and on E class ships they generally don't upgrade from one category to another without paying for the upgrade. 

The chart on the bottom right quadrant seems to contradict what you were told. I wonder if that chart is no longer valid and if not then what is the actual current policy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

The chart on the bottom right quadrant seems to contradict what you were told. I wonder if that chart is no longer valid and if not then what is the actual current policy.

No, you are missing my point.  I believe, to use your example, that the upgrade would be to book the D1 but pay for the I2 versus book an i2 room and be moved to a D1 room.  We book an A1 but instead of paying the price listed for the A1 we paid the price listed for an A2 when we used the 1 category upgrade benefit.  

Edited by DaKahuna

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

No, you are missing my point.  I believe, to use your example, that the upgrade would be to book the D1 but pay for the I1 versus book an i1 room and be moved to a D1 room.  We book an A1 but instead of paying the price listed for the A1 we paid the price listed for an A2 when we used the 1 category upgrade benefit.  

I was responding to @drakes2's comment but I understand your point.  I, in fact, did exactly that for my cruise on Beyond, I went through the Captain's Club representative and told them I wanted a particular Deluxe Inside cabin and paid for the I2 cabin cost in Aug. 2022.  I'm just wondering if that policy has changed since then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I'm just wondering if that policy has changed since then.

It has not. One category upgrade, or maybe it should be called one category price discount (?) is still alive and available just like it has always been.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lolou127 said:

Thank you for posting this chart, I was told our booking of an A2 didn’t qualify for an A1 upgrade and yet there’s lots and lots of availability of both categories on our cruise!

the upgrade to A1 is not always a good move.. check location before you jump on that!  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

If you were denied the i2 price when booking a D1 you may want to appeal based on the published chart.

29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If you were denied the i2 price when booking a D1 you may want to appeal based on the published chart.

I booked I2 inside and asked for deluxe inside D1 upgrade but it was denied.  That was with my CVP when I booked in June but I will call Celebrity directly and ask. It doesn't hurt to ask.  I've booked several deluxe inside cabins before but the prices were the same now they are charging a lot more. 

In my experience you have to request at time of booking, they don’t do it automatically even though they know you’re a Captains Club member. I always call when making reservation and I haven’t worked with TA.

As I understand it, you booked the cabin you want and you pay for the price of one category below that. If you book the lower category, you don’t get upgraded. It’s not so much an upgrade as it is a down price.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

As I understand it, you booked the cabin you want and you pay for the price of one category below that. If you book the lower category, you don’t get upgraded. It’s not so much an upgrade as it is a down price.

Re the upgrade from inside to deluxe inside - called a Celebrity rep who wasn't quite sure if it could be done but went on chat with resolutions  and I was able to change to a deluxe cabin of my choice at no extra cost. I just don't understand why my CVP couldn't do it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Re the upgrade from inside to deluxe inside - called a Celebrity rep who wasn't quite sure if it could be done but went on chat with resolutions  and I was able to change to a deluxe cabin of my choice at no extra cost. I just don't understand why my CVP couldn't do it.  

Because that’s working it backwards. You initially book the deluxe and they match the price of the lower I2 category. You don’t book an I2 then immediately switch cabins. If you want to upgrade to a higher category they are going to view that as a regular paid upgrade. You also need this completed at the time of booking. 

I'm surprised to hear you're supposed to book the higher category room at the lower price. I booked what will be our first Celebrity cruise onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise. At the time, I didn't have Captain's Club status, but that sailing was going to bump me up to Platinum and allow me to status match. So I booked an E2 since it cost the same as an E3, waited for my Royal points to post, status matched, called Captain's Club, and got my upgrade to E1 without the slightest fuss. The guy I talked to didn't make it seem unexpected, abnormal, or backwards in any way. That said, I'd likely prefer the other way around because I was not able to pick my stateroom and would have rather had a different location so good to know that next time I can choose.

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Because that’s working it backwards. You initially book the deluxe and they match the price of the lower I2 category. You don’t book an I2 then immediately switch cabins. If you want to upgrade to a higher category they are going to view that as a regular paid upgrade. You also need this completed at the time of booking. 

My CVP should have known that he's been with Celebrity many years. He could have told me to book a deluxe and adjusted the price at time of booking.  The price difference is $137. 

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I have done it already both ways with same TA.  They have to check before with Celebrity anyway if they give higher cabin at lower category price.  So far answer always positive.  A month ago when booking online with that same TA I booked lower category to get correct price and mentioned in comments that I would like to use CC upgrade to the higher one and already indicated the new (higher) cabin nr.  But when making booking over phone the time before I immediately named higher cat cabin and mentioned I would like to take advantage of lower price. Both worked.

• Like 1