Coastal kitchen

We are taking our family on Independence of the Seas next summer, 2005.  We took them last May 2023 to Alaska on Quantum of the Seas.

on Quantum we were in jr. Suites and were able to eat in the Coastal Kitchen for dinner, which is a suites only restaurant, but there isn’t one on Independence.  Does anyone know if they have another venue that jr. Suites can dine in at night?  It was a nice quiet location for a change from the dining rooms and the buffet. Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Being an older ship, while still very nice, there is no similar dining venue on her designated for suite guests.  There is a nice selection of specialty restaurants on board (Chops, Giovanni's Table, Izumi) if you are looking for more upscale dining.  They are also smaller, quieter venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Full suites (GS and above) will have option for breakfast in Chops or Giovanni's...but no dining perks.  

Jr. Suite...same as all other cabin levels.  Pay as you go.  😉 

• Like 1

You should consider dining a few times in specialty restaurants  While the older smaller ships only have two- try dining in each a couple of times.  We only sail on Oasis class ships as we enjoy the variety of dining venues- we pay extra if not in a suite- even in a suite we dine in a few.  Enjoy your cruise.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:43 PM, workstocruise said:

We are taking our family on Independence of the Seas next summer, 2005.  We took them last May 2023 to Alaska on Quantum of the Seas.

on Quantum we were in jr. Suites and were able to eat in the Coastal Kitchen for dinner, which is a suites only restaurant, but there isn’t one on Independence.  Does anyone know if they have another venue that jr. Suites can dine in at night?  It was a nice quiet location for a change from the dining rooms and the buffet. Thank you.

We were in a JS on Indy two years ago and we bought unlimited dining packages.  The ship doesn't have as many specialty restaurants as Oasis or Icon class ships but we did have great meals in Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi -- Hibachi.  We also had lunches in Chops and got a credit for food at Playmakers.  

We are spoiled because of Coastal Kitchen.  

• Like 1

Yes I can see why you were spoiled. We enjoyed our meals there as the food was good and it was never crowded. I’m sure we we will definitely eat at Chops once or twice,

Thanks.

We will be on the Icon next month and got a suite this time. We plan to have our meals at Coastal Kitchen everyday. Do we need to make reservation daily or can we just walk in during its opening hours? Or can we prebook for our preferred dining time?  thanks ahead for any info.   

2 hours ago, mia mom said:

We will be on the Icon next month and got a suite this time. We plan to have our meals at Coastal Kitchen everyday. Do we need to make reservation daily or can we just walk in during its opening hours? Or can we prebook for our preferred dining time?  thanks ahead for any info.   

If you are in a GS and above (not a JS) indeed you will want to make reservations in advance.  Normally the concierge will email you about 5 days in advance.  Simply reply with your choice of time.  You can always change it later if needed.  Have a fantabulous time!  🙂

• Like 1

We will be on Indy in 2025 in a GS.  

Options are MDR, Specialty Restaurants, Windjammer, Room Service.

It is a 12 night cruise for us.  The UDP is very expensive and the specialty dining choices are very limited so not a worthwhile option.  But we are hoping for a 3 or 4 night package to be offered.  So far not yet,

On 7/18/2024 at 6:20 AM, Cruise a holic said:

You should consider dining a few times in specialty restaurants  While the older smaller ships only have two- try dining in each a couple of times.  We only sail on Oasis class ships as we enjoy the variety of dining venues- we pay extra if not in a suite- even in a suite we dine in a few.  Enjoy your cruise.

All the ships (including "older smaller" ones) have at least three, except Enchantment, which only has one:  Chops.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:43 PM, workstocruise said:

We are taking our family on Independence of the Seas next summer, 2005.  We took them last May 2023 to Alaska on Quantum of the Seas. on Quantum we were in jr. Suites and were able to eat in the Coastal Kitchen for dinner, which is a suites only restaurant, but there isn’t one on Independence.  Does anyone know if they have another venue that jr. Suites can dine in at night?  It was a nice quiet location for a change from the dining rooms and the buffet. Thank you.

No, you have the MDR.

I am glad you enjoyed the CK. We were in a loft suite on the Quantum in 2022 and actually walked out of the CK on two nights because the service and food prep was soooo bad. One night, I sent a steak back twice and when it came out a third time ice cold in the center, we walked out at ate at the windjammer. 

8 hours ago, island lady said:

If you are in a GS and above (not a JS) indeed you will want to make reservations in advance.  Normally the concierge will email you about 5 days in advance.  Simply reply with your choice of time.  You can always change it later if needed.  Have a fantabulous time!  🙂

Just now, mia mom said:

Thank you Island lady. Our son booked it for us. His is a sky suite or star ( not sure)   so I presume our is too. All I know is we can eat at Coastal Kitchen. We will cetainly make reser.  

We look forward to it but is also kind of anxious about on a ship with over 5000 passengers! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mia mom said:

Thank you Island lady. Our son booked it for us. His is a sky suite or star ( not sure)   so I presume our is too. All I know is we can eat at Coastal Kitchen. We will cetainly make reser.  

We look forward to it but is also kind of anxious about on a ship with over 5000 passengers! 

You are most welcome.  We adore CK, and will miss Wonder when she leaves Port Canaveral.  Was one of our favorite ships.  Love the GS cabins (our go to cabin of choice)  being all on the same deck (17) as CK.  🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

You are most welcome.  We adore CK, and will miss Wonder when she leaves Port Canaveral.  Was one of our favorite ships.  Love the GS cabins (our go to cabin of choice)  being all on the same deck (17) as CK.  🙂 

That's how we feel about the Deck 17 location of Crown Loft Suites on Oasis Class too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

That's how we feel about the Deck 17 location of Crown Loft Suites on Oasis Class too.

Indeed love that location for suites...but prefer the single floor of the GS...and being just the two of us...all we need.  Did find it funny the last time we stayed in a CLS.  Rather than drag clothes back down the stairs to level one for packing night before disembarkation....I tossed them over the railing. 

Raining clothes!!  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/20/2024 at 2:21 AM, mia mom said:

For breakfast and lunch no need for reservations, dinner only. On our last Oasis cruise we pretty much booked our dining time at breakfast or lunch daily.  

On 7/20/2024 at 8:01 AM, BirdTravels said:

No, you have the MDR.

I am glad you enjoyed the CK. We were in a loft suite on the Quantum in 2022 and actually walked out of the CK on two nights because the service and food prep was soooo bad. One night, I sent a steak back twice and when it came out a third time ice cold in the center, we walked out at ate at the windjammer. 

That was my experience on the Ovation Transpacific. I absolutely don't understand why the food and service aren't better than the dining room.