To internet or not?

Just curious about internet during a cruise.  Do you cut yourself off and really vacation or do you still need to hear from the outside world?  I personally stay away and enjoy my time away from the day to day rat race. 

• Like 1

I am retired and so theres not "rat race" to get away from. I always get internet for the same reasons I use it day to day, to keep in touch, to relax , to entertain etc

• Like 5

We've never gotten it. And most of our cruises have ported in places that have internet and we can text from there. So I can check in on things if needed, but it's not a necessity. We did have internet on our last cruise, but that's because we were on Viking, where it's included. I used it in the evening when we were relaxing to just play some games. I also used it to post photos to a few friends and close family. It was a 28 day trip though, so definitely needed it more. Have never bought it on Carnival, won't get it on our next RCI one either.

We get the package for DW so she can post pictures and stuff on her social media. If I feel the need to do anything I can always log in and use it, but rarely do (having a drink of the day helps pass the time until the urge passes).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get it to keep current with things going on in the world and for my kid to play his games at night in the cabin before bed.

I get internet basically to keep in touch at home. If I’m on a cruise, someone is back home watching my dog, and for my next cruise my kids will be staying with my parents. So it’s imperative for me to keep in touch. 
But I work in healthcare, so thankfully I don’t have work to attend to that I would potentially be bothered by while logged in. 

• Like 1

It’s too expensive for me to buy on the ship. I can usually find WiFi onshore so I will use that to check in on a port day for a few hours.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I get it in order to stay in touch and share pictures with family and friends.  It's my way of bringing others along with me, especially when cruising solo.

It was because of having internet access that I got immediate word last month when our return flight from Heathrow was cancelled due to the Aer Lingus pilots' strike, and it's how I was immediately able to find a replacement flight. 

I am usually busy in ports, and do not want to spend my precious vacation time looking for internet access and doing my communication while ashore.

Edited by Joanne G.

I don’t always get it, unless I have a specific reason.  We evacuated to a cruise ship during Hurricane Ian and had internet to monitor the hurricane. Also needed to have it while our condo was on the market. On Royal Caribbean, we have a total of four days free on every cruise, so never pay for it. On other lines, I am more likely to get 24-hours once or twice. 

Posted (edited)

I never buy the internet package. I use wifi in Port. If I have an absolute need, I would buy it for the day. I prefer to have a bit of a disconnect as I work on the computer/internet all day for a living. My mom likes to buy it, however, so she can facetime my niece. We aren't getting it this upcoming cruise as she will finally be starting school fulltime.

Edited by starstruck05

We get an internet package on every cruise we take. Did it before we exited the rat race, and now that we no longer participate...get it for various reasons and STILL really vacation...although since we're permanently on vacation, we just really cruise.

• Like 1

We always get one. Often the top, but usualy the middle one.

Sometimes we stream movies.

We always use it for video calls back home with kids/grand-kids and phone calls using Google Voice since my cell phone does not work on the ship.

Occasionally I need it for work video calls, but if I do that they pay for it so bonus. 😉

We always get it for both our devices.  On sea days we sit by the pool and surf the internet off and on all day.  We also use it for wifi calling to our house sitter and my husband calls his friend who has been ill.  We never use it off the ship.

I always get the internet on one of our phones.  I would like to cut the cost, but we have pets and a pet sitter comes daily and sends us updates. Since I’m paying for it, I’ll use it for other things, listening to music, browsing the internet, etc.  Never work though.  So the cost is the problem more than anything.

Hoping someone can help me without posting it as a new question, since it is internet related 🙂  .. the Social package is what I always get so I can chat with my son (house sitter) daily thru FB messenger. My BFF is going with me on our next cruise and ask if she can make audio calls thru messenger on the Social package? I know she can't use the video part, but I've never tried using audio, like a regular phone call. Any info. on this would be great!! TIA