Unlimited dining…NOT!!!

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Can you please explain what the word unlimited means?

Actually, it's probably more relevant to ask what the word 'dining' means.  It refers to the main meal of the day, normally taken in the evening, i.e. dinner.  So, it seems to me that this package does offer unlimited dining.  And as a bonus it also throws in limited 'lunching', i.e. on sea days.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Can you please explain what the word unlimited means?

You keep using that word. I do not believe it means what you think it means.  (Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride)

And it actually means, in this case, exactly what the terms and conditions, which I'm guessing the OP agreed to without reading (like your MS Crowdstrike License agreement...). Specialty dining in the evenings and lunch on sea days. 

• Haha 1

I feel your pain OP.

This does remind me an old joke

"Celebrity cruises does not have a celebrity"

"Princess cruises does not have a princess"

"Royal Caribbean cruises does not have a royal"

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Liao said:

sorry I've closed Google for the evening and Mr Webster no longer lives here

You wrote that unlimited actually means limited (according to Celebrity).

Are we now in crazy land where Celebrity changes the definitions of words and y’all just go along with it?

”Fresh juice” in the OVC means it was made two weeks ago.

And “unlimited” means limited.

14 hours ago, Dos Enchie said:

We have bought this package numerous times. Never had an issue until now. I think they recently changed it. Two waiters were even very confused about it and had to talk to their managers to find out the specifics. If the package did not say unlimited I would not be upset. 

Change happens. Read carefully 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mom says said:

Maybe read the terms before booking something. It is clearly spelled out : lunch only on sea days.

This is new. It used to be one could have lunch in the Grand Bistro every day - port or sea - as I noted on my January 2024 Ascent sailing. Yes, it is clearly spelled out, however, if one booked a package many times in the past it is common to rebook without reading all the fine print since you know what to expect.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, billc23 said:

This is new. It used to be one could have lunch in the Grand Bistro every day - port or sea - as I noted on my January 2024 Ascent sailing. Yes, it is clearly spelled out, however, if one booked a package many times in the past it is common to rebook without reading all the fine print since you know what to expect.

Sorry, I would never pay for anything in advance without first reading the fine print.

Terms of condition frequently change. How would you know if what you were now paying for was now non-refundable?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

Agree but to then make it seem like it’s totally unfair or hidden, which doesn’t seem to be the case.

2 hours ago, Liao said:

Agree but to then make it seem like it’s totally unfair or hidden, which doesn’t seem to be the case.

I agree and when I considered the package and read the rules decided not to purchase. 

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Sorry, I would never pay for anything in advance without first reading the fine print.

Terms of condition frequently change. How would you know if what you were now paying for was now non-refundable?

I would never either in general and especially with Celebrity. So many posts on cruse critic seem to be answered with what happened one time to particular person. They put it down as this is the way it is. What I try to do when answering a question is stating on what ship and what sailing date a certain Policy was in place. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not a bad deal...even if it's just for dinners...although I'd only do it on a ship with several specialties from which to choose (like Beyond).... Thanks!

Cheaper than booking a RS.   LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 7/23/2024 at 5:00 PM, Dos Enchie said:

We have bought this package numerous times. Never had an issue until now. I think they recently changed it. Two waiters were even very confused about it and had to talk to their managers to find out the specifics. If the package did not say unlimited I would not be upset. 

OMG. For the price you pay and for what you get this is a hell of a deal if you use it every night and every sea day.  Not sure what your issue is as the sales ad clearly stats what you get and what you don't get.  I just paid $428.00 each for a 8-night cruise.

8 dinners at $65.00 (including grat) is $520.00

3-4  lunches (sea days)  $40.00 (including Grat) $160.00

SO $428.00 for $680.00 of meals looks like a deal to me.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 6:10 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

It has likely been changed from when you last sailed with Celebrity.  In their eyes it's still unlimited with the exception of port days.  Perhaps a better or less frustrating description would be unlimited specialty dining***  (some restrictions apply)....as they do with so many other descriptions for various things on their site.

You mean as it does say?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

You mean as it does say?

Snarky Snarky... Lol.  and Nope.  I didn't see ***Some Restrictions Apply , which is what I was referring to, in the posted description.  I just think that the more the restrictions are pointed out, the less chance they will be missed.

And I agree with you...it is a very good deal!

Overview

Embark on a culinary journey with an Unlimited Dining Package. Enjoy access to specialty dining every night, plus lunch on sea days—so you’ll have even more chances to enjoy menus crafted by our Michelin-starred chef. Elevate your vacation to new heights of flavor and save.

Highlights

• Purchasing this package secures the package price, but the restaurant reservation time and venue must be made onboard. To make a reservation, simply visit any Specialty Dining Restaurant or Specialty Dining Reservation host stand on the first day of your cruise. Our Hosts will be there to assist you in making all of your Specialty Dining Reservations.

What's Included

• Specialty dining every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing only, a food credit* will be provided.
Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Snarky Snarky... Lol.  and Nope.  I didn't see ***Some Restrictions Apply , which is what I was referring to, in the posted description.  I just think that the more the restrictions are pointed out, the less chance they will be missed.

Overview

Embark on a culinary journey with an Unlimited Dining Package. Enjoy access to specialty dining every night, plus lunch on sea days—so you’ll have even more chances to enjoy menus crafted by our Michelin-starred chef. Elevate your vacation to new heights of flavor and save.

Highlights

• Purchasing this package secures the package price, but the restaurant reservation time and venue must be made onboard. To make a reservation, simply visit any Specialty Dining Restaurant or Specialty Dining Reservation host stand on the first day of your cruise. Our Hosts will be there to assist you in making all of your Specialty Dining Reservations.

What's Included

• For restaurants with a la carte pricing only, a food credit* will be provided.

So y’all have no problem with Celebrity calling something unlimited then saying it’s not unlimited?  Do we want to see that all over the ship? “The OVC is open 24 hours a day but only between 7am to midnight.”

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So y’all have no problem with Celebrity calling something unlimited then saying it’s not unlimited?  Do we want to see that all over the ship? “The OVC is open 24 hours a day but only between 7am to midnight.”

It doesn't really matter if I have a problem with it...Sad to say...I've grown used to it.

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Overview

Highlights

What's Included

A good deal indeed!  If I did not already have it included, I'd jump at it every time.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 11:26 PM, mkkao924 said:

I feel your pain OP.

This does remind me an old joke

"Celebrity cruises does not have a celebrity"

"Princess cruises does not have a princess"

"Royal Caribbean cruises does not have a royal"

But Carnival ships going out of Rio can have a Carnival. 🙂

Hmmm.... that does make me slightly afraid of the Viking ships. 🙂

• Haha 4

On 7/23/2024 at 10:00 PM, Dos Enchie said:

On 7/24/2024 at 2:51 AM, zitsky said:

So unlimited doesn’t mean unlimited?  More deceptive marketing I guess.  Who wants to excuse this as being ok?

What is the definition of dining?

The true definition is to eat the main meal of the day, usually the evening meal.

The clue is dining as a derivative of dinner.

I know some dictionaries do include breakfast lunch and dinner, but the true answer is dinner.

Shout too loud and they will get rid of the sea day perk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

What is the definition of dining?

The true definition is to eat the main meal of the day, usually the evening meal.

The clue is dining as a derivative of dinner.

I know some dictionaries do include breakfast lunch and dinner, but the true answer is dinner.

Shout too loud and they will get rid of the sea day perk.

So when I go to a restaurant at noon, I’m not dining out?  What am I doing, eating breakfast at home?

You don’t need to apologize for Celebrity’s misuse of language.

• Haha 1

This is why many times Rules, Conditions and Limitations are read over the taped phone calls.  Customer can ask questions and then indicate consent if they agree.

Guess another word would ge better than UNlimited...but the limits were shown in the description.

ha.. just saw a news blurb on tv about a lawsuit over whether or not boneless chicken pieces would be expected to have bones..

Words Matter??

8 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

But Carnival ships going out of Rio can have a Carnival. 🙂

Hmmm.... that does make me slightly afraid of the Viking ships. 🙂

It does raise interesting questions about Virgin Voyages, however...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4