Laura Hodges Bethage responses to Questions are an insult !!!!

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Last set of questions on this (I hope, lol).  It doesn't appear to be online anywhere, I would imagine if you are Zenith and book online or through a TA, the perk rebate is not "given" to you, you have to know about it and have to call and ask for it, correct?  If you were to book on the phone and didn't know about the rebate, would the rep even bring it up or do you need to ask for it?

This was covered fairly exhaustively in the FAQs and discussion here on Cruise Critic when this came out. I'm not Zenith so can't do this, but if you are Zenith, logged on with you Captain's Club number (or presumably on the phone with Celebrity or a TA) you are supposed to see Zenith only pricing that is "discounted" (in the finance/economics sense) by some factor that does not charge for the drink package and Wi-Fi. It's a separate fare basis and the discount/credit whatever does not equal the retail price of the packages. And it's only available to Zenith members and only for the Retreat. I also don't know (makes no sense that you would be) if you're offered the standard AI pricing, other than seeing the published fares.

The fare is supposed to just be there. If you didn't know there was a difference, you might not know you were receiving it. I don't know if a TA has to specifically request it or it it's just there when they book using your CC information. I would assume (Zeniths can correct me) that once a Celebrity phone rep pulls up your information they would also see that fare. 

It's NOT a rebate. It's a Zenith only fare. The drinks and Wi-Fi that are part of the standard Retreat fare are covered by the loyalty program. When it was first implemented some people  were very unhappy as to receive the Zenith rate they had to reprice the cruise at the current rate which actually would have increased their cost. That should be in the past but it's an illustration that it's not just a straight discount.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Updated list of passenger-friendly additions/updates that were not cutback reversals since the restart:

-Starlink

-eMuster

-Elite happy hour on the first day

-CC points via PUP points

-CC status match can match to higher RCI tiers

And they ever so magnanimously allowed zeniths back into the Retreat.  

12 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Since the restart, actual passenger-friendly changes NOT cutback-reversals, we have 3 off the top of my head:

1) Starlink

2) E-muster (they could save on labor by going back to the old way)

I will note that these changes were made by many cruise lines and Celebrity should receive very limited credit for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlueKernal said:

I feel her answers to the questions are disgusting corporate spin. It is obviously apparent that she believes words will cover up the actions that they have recently embarked on with the Celebrity brand and product. The more responses she posts the more insulting it is!!!

Maybe you should call her, invite her out for coffee, and hash this out.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not know about that.  We found some nice restaurants and places to shop in Nassau that you'll never find on Coco Cay.  

Thats a fair point, I do like to look around at the John Bull Store..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

The post are ordered by the Web software based on the time of the last entry.  If there were no comments or anything made to your post then it would be automatically move down based on new questions or new comments/responses to question.  

I wish there was way to separate unanswered questions until there was an answer or until Friday when the answer stop.  That way we would know which questions they chose not to answer easily. 

I think the ones that have been answered have a pin by the subject.IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.62418c334e29a6ea1caf23b14b6ec901.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:44 AM, canderson said:

Here's an example.  Someone questioned the shipboard practice/line regarding 10s on cruise surveys.  Her answer was

We always want our guests to provide us with their honest feedback so that we can continuously enhance our experience and offerings. The post-cruise survey is one of the best tools we have to truly understand what we do well and what needs improvement. We do not interpret ratings less than 10 as a failure, nor do we expect to always receive 10s.  We constantly strive to be better and to provide our guests with their dream vacation, so we encourage you to answer honestly. 

OK.  Fine.  So Miami says they want honest answers.  That's nice and as it should be.  What are they going to do that provides them with honest answers vs. what's happening aboard now?

Her answer does not address the problem - which has been an annoying and unhelpful practice aboard for years now - nor does it address the question the OP asked.  She could have said, "We are sorry to hear this, and we will again pass down our corporate policy to the ships and ask that they properly train and comply."  That would have been an answer worth giving.

Not completely following, or maybe I am.  It appears the concern is people are being coerced to lie on the survey.  It is puzzling that customers would be dishonest if they didn't feel a 10 was actually warranted.  Though, I'm sure it happens.     

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Not completely following, or maybe I am.  It appears the concern is people are being coerced to lie on the survey.  It is puzzling that customers would be dishonest if they didn't feel a 10 was actually warranted.  Though, I'm sure it happens.     

The line aboard is that anything less than a 10 is a complete disaster.  So yes, you've evaluated the situation correctly in that respect.  If you've sailed Celebrity in the last decade and a half (perhaps you have not) it's more than likely that you've been party to the pleading for 10s, though we haven't experienced this nearly as frequently as we once did.  Am wondering if that's related to the level of cabins we've been booking in the last 8-10 years or so?

As this practice has been common for quite some number of years, it's not as though shipboard management hasn't both heard about it and been provided some direction from corporate regarding it ... we just have no idea who's being told what.  If you believe our new President, the practice is in inappropriate.  If you sail with Celebrity, you'll know the message either isn't being passed down, or is being ignored.

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

We aren't and don't. No matter the service provided or the business. I don't concern myself with someone's job security, working conditions, benefits,wages, ect. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I will note that these changes were made by many cruise lines and Celebrity should receive very limited credit for them.

I do agree with the premise, it would be a huge con if they got rid of either tomorrow.  Yet you have to give them credit for keeping the eMuster going, they didn't have to.  They had the buffet staff served but that went back to self-serve.  Starlink is more of a gray area as you only get the benefit if you pay for it (Zeniths paid for it by gaining 3000+ CC points)

If we want to get specific and say improvements/additions to the complimentary food that wasn't a cutback reversal, there's NONE.  AQ lost their daily treats, X says it's because no one eating them; why not make them better (rhetorical)?  X introduced the paid cookie and suffered massive backlash which could have been avoided if they said "Due to the feedback we have decided to PILOT the cookie as a free offering on the Equinox (only ship it was offered) for the next month".  But no, they just removed them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, canderson said:

If you believe our new President, the practice is in inappropriate. 

Based on her PR sounding response, I didn't get a feel that she thinks the practice is inappropriate.  In fact, she didn't even address the practice even though there were at least three separate questions posted about it.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

20 minutes ago, doghog said:

We aren't and don't. No matter the service provided or the business. I don't concern myself with someone's job security, working conditions, benefits,wages, ect. 

Nor do we.  But all you have to do is take a quick look around the CC boards to find many folks who feel personally responsible for the job security of the crew.  What an interesting psychological study this would make!

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Based on her PR sounding response, I didn't get a feel that she thinks the practice is inappropriate.  In fact, she didn't even address the practice even though there were at lease three separate questions posted about it.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, I wish I asked “Who’s the current CEO of Celebrity cruises?”  Although I doubt they would’ve replied to it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Based on her PR sounding response, I didn't get a feel that she thinks the practice is inappropriate.  In fact, she didn't even address the practice even though there were at least three separate questions posted about it.

Her response was clear enough, I thought.

"The post-cruise survey is one of the best tools we have to truly understand what we do well and what needs improvement. We do not interpret ratings less than 10 as a failure, nor do we expect to always receive 10s."

Just the opposite of what you often hear aboard.  If Miami really wants a useful tool, they're being thwarted by onboard practices.  That would make the behavior, by definition, inappropriate.

You can say she's lying or mistaken about the desire to have a useful tool, but that would be a different (and confusing) conversation.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Her response was clear enough, I thought.

"The post-cruise survey is one of the best tools we have to truly understand what we do well and what needs improvement. We do not interpret ratings less than 10 as a failure, nor do we expect to always receive 10s."

Just the opposite of what you often hear aboard.  If Miami really wants a useful tool, they're being thwarted by onboard practices.  That would make the behavior, by definition, inappropriate.

You can say she's lying or mistaken about the desire to have a useful tool, but that would be a different (and confusing) conversation.

At the operational level, an 8 isn't a failure, yet when it comes time to move crew members over to the Xcel for a possible promotion, they're probably going to pull from the ship whose team always gets 10s and not the one who gets 8s

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

We do not interpret ratings less than 10 as a failure, nor do we expect to always receive 10s."

Yes, I agree that this directly contradicts what we are often told from the crew on board ship.  But I was hoping she would concede that solicitation of a 10 is not good practice and admit that the practice should be stopped.  A better approach IMO would be to instruct the crew to remind passengers (once will suffice) that they will receive a post cruise survey and that any and all feedback is appreciated....which would be more in line with how Laura answered the question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I agree that this directly contradicts what we are often told from the crew on board ship.  But I was hoping she would concede that solicitation of a 10 is not good practice and admit that the practice should be stopped.

That's what I suggested she ought to have said in my original post.

The crew, in my experience, already encourage participation - even those crewmembers that don't refer to ratings.

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

That's a cutback reversal

And then they gave it to Pinnacles. (I know at the discretion of the loudest pax)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

The line aboard is that anything less than a 10 is a complete disaster.  So yes, you've evaluated the situation correctly in that respect.  If you've sailed Celebrity in the last decade and a half (perhaps you have not) it's more than likely that you've been party to the pleading for 10s, though we haven't experienced this nearly as frequently as we once did.  Am wondering if that's related to the level of cabins we've been booking in the last 8-10 years or so?

As this practice has been common for quite some number of years, it's not as though shipboard management hasn't both heard about it and been provided some direction from corporate regarding it ... we just have no idea who's being told what.  If you believe our new President, the practice is in inappropriate.  If you sail with Celebrity, you'll know the message either isn't being passed down, or is being ignored.

Yes, we have enjoyed Celebrity and I'm familiar with the sales pitch for 10 ratings.  It is very common on RCI also.  Everything from a pretty innocent "don't forget to do the survey" to  "if our service isn't a 10, tell me what more I can do".   That would not make me rate someone higher than I thought they deserved.  I would hope my fellow passengers are not so gullible they would be dishonest with their evaluations.   Though, I am sure there are some who give everyone a 10.   

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

... "if our service isn't a 10, tell me what more I can do". 

Now that's a proper request from crew.  I'd even encourage that approach if I were sitting in Miami making these decisions. 😀  Who knows - perhaps that's what they're supposed to say?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doghog said:

I complete the surveys because I recognize the importance of the surveys.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

Now that's a proper request from crew.  I'd even encourage that approach if I were sitting in Miami making these decisions. 😀  Who knows - perhaps that's what they're supposed to say?

I can pinpoint that comment to a cruise on Constellation.  Last cruise we took before the pandemic shut down.  

Fortunately, "bad" service is pretty uncommon on cruises.    

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Personally the best tool I have found for feed back is the one onboard.  I've had it in the form of a QR code in the Cruise Planner we received onboard and also in the form of a printed card that wass delivered to our stateroom.   It's a way to give feedback to the Hotel Director directly.  We've seen first hand the effect it has had, with everyting from Future Cruise Credits to a heartfelt thank you from crewmembers we have commented positively about.   I keep an eye out for it every cruise and made good use of it for both positiive and negative comments. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I complete the surveys because I recognize the importance of the surveys.    

I never said I didn't complete or recognize the importance of the surveys. I always do them and  I'm honest with my scoring and additional comments. 

• Like 1