Edge Luminae - Order from main or Blu menus

Hi,

We are sailing on the Edge next month and after reviewing the menus in Luminae I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences ordering off menus from the main dining rooms, Blu or even preordering a filet mignon in Luminae?  I know the other kitchens aren’t close like other class ships, so just trying to plan where to eat if the menu is not that appealing one night.

Thank you in advance for any advice and information!

9 minutes ago, Aburkhard7 said:

if anyone has had any recent experiences ordering off menus from the main dining rooms, Blu or even preordering a filet mignon in Luminae?

We are also waiting to hear from current cruisers on this.  In the Q&A with Celebrity President LBH one of her replies indicated that you should be able to do it.  Some have reported success ordering an item from Blu/MDR a day in advance.  However, I have not heard anyone report that you can sit down in Luminae and order a starter, entree, or dessert from either Blu or one of the MDR's.  Time will tell. 

• Like 2

Our experience is that the MDR Classic items are available in Luminae, just as they are in Blu, however ordering from the menus in either Blu or MDR would be a rare exception.  
Just to far apart to send a wait staff member from Luminae to retrieve a dish both in time and ability to have it arrive hot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Our experience is that the MDR Classic items are available in Luminae, just as they are in Blu, however ordering from the menus in either Blu or MDR would be a rare exception.  
Just to far apart to send a wait staff member from Luminae to retrieve a dish both in time and ability to have it arrive hot.

27 minutes ago, 39august said:

Blu is a long way from Luninae on E class ships. 

See Laura's response -- post #3 

Here is a partial quote from her response:

"Whenever you find yourself craving something on one of our MDR menus, but want to stay in the comfort of Luminae, we can have the food prepared and brought to you directly in Luminae. If you’re on an Edge Series ship this includes anything from Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, Cyprus, or Normandie."

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

When we want an entree from one of the MDRs we go there.  We have found that the service can be as good, the noise level isn’t any louder and if you have a good Sommlier your wine choices are also very good. 

To be upfront, we are not big fans of the Luminae menu as I can’t eat any seafood or fish.  As a result we eat about 2/3 of our dinners in Blu, the MDR or a specialty.

• Like 2

on BEYOND, the menu in Luminae did not inspire..plus the dark atmosphere was a neg...

After s few nites of Salmon, we left for Specialty dining,  and luckily a great dinner in light and bright BLU... It had better choices, service and food quality.  Shrimp were fresh, not mushy and cocktail sauce nice and spicy.  And  a bread basket on the table!

Luminae could use a makeover!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What Laura says doesn't always correlate with action on the ground.

And waving a post from her isn't going to change the physics of the time in getting something from a location a long way away to Luminae.

When I sailed on Edge, I checked the menus elsewhere, and over a 1/3 of the time just ate in Blu thanks to the better range across the board. They're happy to serve you there (as long as you're not there at peak times) whereas trying to get other menus at Luminae the same day would be problematic even if you manage to get them agree to do it.

• Like 1

You can ask for the Luminae menu but without the sauces that go with it. Talk to the server. They also have the kids menu that may work for you.  

What they won't do is remake the entire menu for you, especially at the table.  

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

See Laura's response -- post #3 

Here is a partial quote from her response:

"Whenever you find yourself craving something on one of our MDR menus, but want to stay in the comfort of Luminae, we can have the food prepared and brought to you directly in Luminae. If you’re on an Edge Series ship this includes anything from Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, Cyprus, or Normandie."

I guess this was a great exapmple of a CEO not enough experienced with the onboard experience. You can't just order something from the MDR or Blu, if at all you can pre order the night before or in morning that you want speciic items served that day from these venues. Even then it is to the discretion of the maitre D / venue manager if they want to go the extra mile in organizing this. Same applies to preparing specail meals such as a Indian Curry etc. even if it would be available at another venue.

25 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I guess this was a great exapmple of a CEO not enough experienced with the onboard experience. You can't just order something from the MDR or Blu, if at all you can pre order the night before or in morning that you want speciic items served that day from these venues. Even then it is to the discretion of the maitre D / venue manager if they want to go the extra mile in organizing this. Same applies to preparing specail meals such as a Indian Curry etc. even if it would be available at another venue.

CEO isnt writing any of this - probably not even reading the questions. More than likely some PR person who has never sailed on a ship, or if they have it is in a standard room.  

Ordering from a different restaurant at a resort is unheard of - I dont see why people think that is ok on a ship (which is just a floating resort) 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, tfred said:

CEO isnt writing any of this - probably not even reading the questions. More than likely some PR person who has never sailed on a ship, or if they have it is in a standard room.  

Ordering from a different restaurant at a resort is unheard of - I dont see why people think that is ok on a ship (which is just a floating resort) 

It better not be the CEO, but then agan why make this whole fuss if its not her anyhow. Then better this Q&A thing should not have been implemented in the first place.

It's not about ordering from a different Restaurant, it's wanting an item that is not on the menu in that Restaurant. If you can't get what you are looking for in Luminae then the othe option is receiving it from a other Restaurant. When paying such prices also in luxury resorts you can request for customized options. Since this often is not possible in Luminae the next best option is to ask for a item available in a other venue.

6 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

The Luminae menu would be enough to dissuade me from booking a retreat cabin. Having to go to the MDR for alternative offerings would even further reduce the value.

This is the main reason we do not book E-Class ships. We were on Apex earlier this month for 11 nights in a Sky Suite. Friends picked Apex. We ate 1 night in Fine Cuts, 1 night in Eden, 1 night in Cyprus, the rest in Luminae. The steaks at all the restaurants were not very good. The meat did not have much flavor. My best overall meal was in Cyprus. I did have the salmon in Luminae off the every night menu and it was good. I did try one of the fish dishes off the Luminae menu and it was just horrible. DH ate off the children's menu at least 2 nights in Luminae.

Just did our check in for our Sept cruise on Eclipse. We will be in a RS. I booked Murano and Tuscan Grille to compare meat quality. It will be nice to be able to order off the MDR on Eclipse. I'll take any older ship any time over limited food in Luminae on the E-Class ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tfred said:

Because you can order off the MDR on Celebrity's other 9 ships in Luminae. Even on E Class ships you can order off any of the MRD restaurants menus. Dining in the Cosmopolitan restaurant and you can order items from Cyprus restaurant. Items exclusive to Cyprus.

32 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Because you can order off the MDR on Celebrity's other 9 ships in Luminae. Even on E Class ships you can order off any of the MRD restaurants menus. Dining in the Cosmopolitan restaurant and you can order items from Cyprus restaurant. Items exclusive to Cyprus.

it works on the older ships and E Class MDR since those kitchens are next to each other  E Class  Luminae and MDR kitchens are literally on the opposite ends of the ship - far away.   Someone has to go get it and bring back a lukewarm entree.   You dont need much of that to reduce service levels in Luminae to "where's my bread?" for the rest of us.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tfred said:

it works on the older ships and E Class MDR since those kitchens are next to each other  E Class  Luminae and MDR kitchens are literally on the opposite ends of the ship - far away.   Someone has to go get it and bring back a lukewarm entree.   You dont need much of that to reduce service levels in Luminae to "where's my bread?" for the rest of us.  

I agree with you. That is why I try to avoid booking any of the E Class ships. Only done Edge 3/2019 and Apex 6/2024. We have sailed 6 non E Class ships between 2019 and 2024 with Celebrity. 2 more non Edge Class ships on the books.

I agree in general Luminae was disappointing on E class , however I thought the outside retreat made up for that , also thought entertainment was far superior on E class . 

Well...we're not getting overly excited about our first E class ship after these complaints about Luminae.  We've only sailed in suites on M and S class ships with the ability to order off the MDR menu when the Luminae selections weren't overly appealing.  I noticed recently that Luminae no longer offers a filet mignon on the first night as they have ever since Luminae was created in 2015...instead a NY Strip Steak.   However, Blu has a "Pan-Seared Filet Mignon" on their first night.  Is difficult getting seated around 6-6:30 in Blu if you're sailing in a suite?  

23 hours ago, Aburkhard7 said:

Hi,

We are sailing on the Edge next month and after reviewing the menus in Luminae I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences ordering off menus from the main dining rooms, Blu or even preordering a filet mignon in Luminae?  I know the other kitchens aren’t close like other class ships, so just trying to plan where to eat if the menu is not that appealing one night.

Thank you in advance for any advice and information!

I'm sure others experience may differ.  We were on Edge Singapore to HNL and HNL to Vancouver (28 days) in April of 2024.  Not sure if this is recent.

Both our Waiter and the MD encouraged us to order off MDR or Blu menu and would deliver every evening.    They suggested ordering the day before but also said if we didn't find anything they would send someone down to get the dish.   We tried to always do it the night before.   

We knew another couple in the dining room that had Filet's almost every night. They were not the 4 ounce Filets but the full size.  

I'll be honest.  We are not a big fan of Luminae on Edge class and probably will either choose M or S class or other cruise lines going forward.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure others experience may differ.  We were on Edge Singapore to HNL and HNL to Vancouver (28 days) in April of 2024.  Not sure if this is recent.

Jim - thanks for responding as you always do with a weath of info...we will plan a night in advance for our upcoming sailing. Funny...I just checked today the info that you provided me about the Firestick.... since I just hooked up my new 4K Max today in advance of our upcoming cruise. I appreciate your quick responses!

35 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Jim - thanks for responding as you always do with a weath of info...we will plan a night in advance for our upcoming sailing. Funny...I just checked today the info that you provided me about the Firestick.... since I just hooked up my new 4K Max today in advance of our upcoming cruise. I appreciate your quick responses!

I use to hate the Firestick as compared to Roku but recently using Firestick more and more at home.    When I'm up early I use my Bose Headset to not disturb Iain.   It works seamlessly with Firestick but not with Roku.   Also Firestick allows built in VPN apps while Roku has zero support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, tfred said:

At a resort you're not assigned to a specific dining room.

And you're also not typically restricted to such a limited menu.

• Like 1

I don’t understand, why not go to the restaurant that has what you want?  Do folks go into McDonalds and want a Whopper because the Burger King is next door? 

• Like 2