Why is prime rib out of the Polo Grill menu on Vista?

I love prime rib roast.  I was sad on Vista when I didn’t see it on Polo menu.  Had filet. It was good.  In May, I was on Marina. Polo menu had prime rib. It was terrible. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I love prime rib roast.  I was sad on Vista when I didn’t see it on Polo menu.  Had filet. It was good.  In May, I was on Marina. Polo menu had prime rib. It was terrible. 

Terrible how? Tough? Over-cooked?  ???

On 7/31/2024 at 9:07 AM, pinotlover said:

Waiters told us Costs and tremendous waste. They can do a 4-6 Oz filet, which is all many can and/or do eat, but not that small a prime rib. You’d be shocked to see the amount of waste created, in upscale restaurants, produced by leftover meat dishes. People take 2-3 bites and pitch the rest. Even with the new Tomahawk veal steak, I’ve watched people do the same. Order the 32 chop to take only a couple bites. Some see it as their right, but the prime rib is disappearing.

OK, I just checked with the guy in charge and the answer is this..they upgraded the meat to Galician Veal Tomahawk 45 oz , and Galician Bone in Beef Sirloin 35 oz..

It had nothing to do with waste or cost..it had to do with changing the menu and upgrading beef..

Jancruz1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

OK, I just checked with the guy in charge and the answer is this..they upgraded the meat to Galician Veal Tomahawk 45 oz , and Galician Bone in Beef Sirloin 35 oz..

It had nothing to do with waste or cost..it had to do with changing the menu and upgrading beef..

Jancruz1

That’s funny!😂. How many of we typically aged O cruisers are going to order a 45 or 35 Oz anything? 😂

Sirloin is a higher grade and more expensive than prime rib! 🤪🤪  Surely they can come up with a better story than that. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

That’s funny!😂. How many of we typically aged O cruisers are going to order a 45 or 35 Oz anything? 😂

Sirloin is a higher grade and more expensive than prime rib! 🤪🤪  Surely they can come up with a better story than that. 

Both of those items on the menu state they are for 2. They still have porterhouse steaks that would be larger portions for an order for 1. Also, easy to find articles stating that the Galician beef could be the best in the world and comparing favorably to Wagu. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

You would not believe any thing they say  so how about this one....everyone is always saying the menu never changes..that is true so they changed it.....why do you believe whoever told you that there was too much waste???

and just because it says for two I bet a lot of singles order it....

Jancruz1(out)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Thanks Jancruz1 - the Galician steaks sound fabulous  - and over 1 kg per order!!  Definitely feed a table for we two - or even a table for four!  

Can't wait to try it in Polo next April. 😋

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

You would not believe any thing they say  so how about this one....everyone is always saying the menu never changes..that is true so they changed it.....why do you believe whoever told you that there was too much waste???

and just because it says for two I bet a lot of singles order it....

Jancruz1(out)

Jan;

My only recommendation would be corporate communications. I believed the story, because that was the only story being told by Oceania waitstaff.

In the corporate world, when we want a story or information put out, we call a staff meeting with all involved and explain the changes and let everyone know what the “ official “ line is. Then everyone is instructed to repeat the official line. I was on Vista 15 months ago and given a line by Oceania employees. Today, 15 months later we get a new line. In that everyone on that cruise was original crew,  getting the line straight shouldn’t been hard. Of course, we’re talking Oceania and communication .🙄

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:26 AM, pinotlover said:

None of the high end restaurants I consult for offer prime rib. As pointed out by @Woofa, it’s a thing of the past, much like Jacques menu. I probably haven’t seen lobster Thermidor on any menu ( other than Jacques) in 35-40 years. People don’t eat that much cream and butter anymore.

My brother just had it on Royal Caribbean.  I was shocked they still offered it.(Lobster Thermidor) I always consider it gambling to order Prime Rib when we go out. Sometimes it is very good, but more often mediocre.  

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Yes. Who came up with that stupid idea?

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

n the corporate world, when we want a story or information put out, we call a staff meeting with all involved and explain the changes and let everyone know what the “ official “ line is.

They don't seem to get this. And thanks.

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Rubbery.  Could not cut through it easily.

We need a sad emoji option.😢 why waste an animals life only to make it inedible due to poor cooking. Prime Rib needs a slow long time roasting.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, clo said:

Yes. Who came up with that stupid idea?

It is for 2, including bone. Like I said they also have Porterhouse in 20 and 32 ounce portions. So not really out of line in comparison. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

Can't argue, I'm sub 60, male, fairly active and 6 oz is more than enough for me

If we have a normal sized (?oz) bone-in rib eye we usually get two meals for two out of it. We grind our own pork shoulder and make 4oz patties (you know, like a 'quarter pounder.".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

It is for 2, including bone. Like I said they also have Porterhouse in 20 and 32 ounce portions. So not really out of line in comparison. 

Okay. Could four people even eat it? Stupid. IMneverHO.

• Haha 1

I am bummed that they took out prime rib at Polo Grill but am excited to try Galician Veal Tomahawk Veal and Galician Bone-in Beef Sirloin....BUT can we trust it is really from Galicia, Spain?  I keep on thinking of the Whole Maine Lobster on the Polo Grill menu.  Doesn't taste like lobster from Maine.  Just saying.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ATWCruiser said:

I am bummed that they took out prime rib at Polo Grill but am excited to try Galician Veal Tomahawk Veal and Galician Bone-in Beef Sirloin....BUT can we trust it is really from Galicia, Spain?  I keep on thinking of the Whole Maine Lobster on the Polo Grill menu.  Doesn't taste like lobster from Maine.  Just saying.

What is Galician veal?

Galician veal | Turismo de Vigo

Galician veal has been produced for almost 4,000 years. This tender meat has Protected Geographical Indication, which guarantees you'll be enjoying the meat of an animal born, raised and slaughtered in Galicia, and from a pure native breed.
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ATWCruiser said:

Doesn't taste like lobster from Maine.

A few years back on one of our trips to the States, we stayed for a few days in Portsmouth, NH. One day, we took a little boat trip round the estuary of the river which serves as the border between New Hampshire and Maine. According to the skipper's commentary, there's lots of lobster fished in the estuary. Apparently, if it's landed in New Hampshire, it will be sold as "lobster". And, if it's landed on the northern bank of the river, it's sold as "Maine lobster". 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just for giggles I went to the O web site. The convo here is about Polo on Vista. The newest class. So I went to their oldest ship Sirena and pulled up the MDR menu (a good basic gauge) to see how far to the bone they had cut offerings down.

You would think that their Marketing Dept would put their best foot forward to entice new cruisers. Perhaps those who want to move up from the mass market. Scale down from the huge party ships.

There is only one offering of a steak. A Sirloin.

if you book a Concierge Level you get an expanded MDR room service menu. Why bother. Lunch is even worse.

It’s a sad representation and as a new potential customer- I would not be impressed.

Edited by Thought2go
Add to