The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 2nd, 2024

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We decided today to book the Westerdam 53 day cruise, Seattle to Seattle beginning 1 September.  I think a couple of Dailyites had mentioned that they had booked it.  Great for us as we just take a ferry to Seattle and a taxi to the pier and the reverse in October.

Saw my oncologist on Wednesday and not much change in my CLL.  Have an appointment in less than an hour to get my eye injection for AMD.  

Ray

I will be on this cruise too. See everyone very soon. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Wow, I did that one also!!  Cool, wasn't it?  But I guess my results didn't qualify me for any further studies.  But I am on the Registry so who knows what it might bring (and wasn't a couple of the smells weird??  Gasoline??????  LOL!!)

I just signed up, so I haven't gotten the book with the smells yet. It will be coming in the mail.

51 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

My DS brought over the apricots, now I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.  But it makes such good jam.  It was nice having a one-on-one visit with him too (DH is working today).

I spent the rest of the afternoon gardening and tackling some pesky weeds.  

Have a nice evening everyone!

Oh, I love apricot jam. My DM used to make jams and jellies when I was growing up.

• Like 12

By the way, when I posted the photos of Keelung and Taipei this morning it reminded me of the fact that the day following our visit in 2010, there was a huge landslide in Taiwan.  The landslide covered the main highway between Taipei and Keelung.  We were on that highway just 24 hours before the landslide caused death and destruction on the road.  Three cars were completely covered and 4 people died.  There was no earthquake or rains to cause the landslide so it was quite a shock.  I'm so glad we weren't there when it happened.  Can you imagine the ship trying to leave with everyone stuck on the road coming back from Taipei?  Or the possibility of losing passengers in that tragedy?

image.jpeg.731142567eeacef71ae13f79a80761ca.jpeg

Photo from the internet

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy birthday wishes to your very special DSIL!  Nice he is on sabbatical!  Our DS is also starting a one year sabbatical from his University position.  This is the third one he's taken over the years teaching at U. of Michigan.  He'll be spending most of his time in Frisco this fall, and then Ren will probably be leaving and going to Notre Dame in January so they will be letting the apartment go down there and move back to Ann Arbor.  It's a good time for DS to be off work and spending time with his family.

Thank you Sandi! Yes it does sound like a very good time for your DS to be off work and spending time with his family.  This is Ryan's first year of Sabbatical (he's worked as a Physicians' Assistant in Seattle for 10 years (where has the time gone??)  I know my DD is very happy to have him home more!

43 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Apricot jam is probably my favorite.  Your family is lucky to have freshly made jam made by you!  And you are lucky to have your DS close enough to come by for visits.  Truly a blessing.  I miss that.  

For the past 25 years (half his life) DS has lived in IL and CA -- so not close -- we are SO thankful to have him and DDIL nearby now. 

25 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Oh, I love apricot jam. My DM used to make jams and jellies when I was growing up.

I love it too.  Probably my favorite. 

• Like 13

Good morning, I hope everyone had a peaceful day today. We had some storms this afternoon that dropped the temperature but not the humidity. More storms are expected tomorrow afternoon and again on Sunday. 
    We had a phone call about Shirl and unfortunately, she’s not happy again and is back to saying she doesn’t want to be there. Her son may bring her back up to Pa . We expect to hear from him tomorrow. 
Special thoughts for @marshhawk, Annie and Chuck . 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Sending out the love and light to Annie and Chuck. It’s a privilege to accompany a loved one through the toughest times but that doesn’t make it easy. We walk alongside our loved ones, we guide, we advocate, we intervene but they are on their path and we have to care for ourselves too. Annie, you’ve exhibited strength, compassion and vulnerability in doing everything you can for Chuck. I’m so happy to read about the kindness you’ve received. Thanks for sharing with us. Remember to breathe. Give yourself a big hug from us! We’re here for you!  

Cheers for all celebrating!

Smooth travels to all away!  
Good night to my friends in this half of our world, G’day to friends in the other half. One day at a time is Everything. Maureen

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Chuck is home.  Turns out that the meds you give a 190 lb person, react differently when the person has cancer, and immunotherapy and is down to 154.  So Chuck's body shut down, along with his brain.  But once they figured in  their minds that that was the problem, they treated him like dirt, and didnt bother to feed him.  So he had no food since an English muffin yesterday at 9:30. They said it was because he was confused.  Confused people need food too, but they got him out by 3.

However, bring out the bubble wrap for me!  I was trying to do acrobatics, like talking on the phone and trying to put on my undies, and something snapped in my left hip. I was talking with my friend Theresa  so when I screamed, she didn't panic, and neither did I,  because I wanted to pick up lunch and get to the hospital. However I have noticed as the day went along that the leg is kind of numb. and hurts. from hip/butt down to ankle. I did take an Aleve tonight and will put some icy hot on the hip. I do have osteoporosis, so hoping something didn't fracture in there. I'd be one of those stupid dolls in the commercials.

I do have to work tomorrow morning, and for a few hours in the afternoon, but also need to know what time Jersey's mom will pick the new fur baby up, because we want to send the baby off with a tunnel toy, as she really loves the one here.

Good night friends, I hold you all close in my heart.

currently known as limp along Annie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 18

Posted (edited)

@marshhawk good to hear DH is home 🏡 where you can feed him and hopefully some of his issues stabilize now that the meds+weight loss connection has been made. Virtual bubble wrap headed ypur way and 🤞 the hip popping incident is not serious. Congrats on sending one of the furbies off to their new home - you're so sweet to send her off w/a tunnel.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Chuck is home.  Turns out that the meds you give a 190 lb person, react differently when the person has cancer, and immunotherapy and is down to 154.  So Chuck's body shut down, along with his brain.  But once they figured in  their minds that that was the problem, they treated him like dirt, and didnt bother to feed him.  So he had no food since an English muffin yesterday at 9:30. They said it was because he was confused.  Confused people need food too, but they got him out by 3.

However, bring out the bubble wrap for me!  I was trying to do acrobatics, like talking on the phone and trying to put on my undies, and something snapped in my left hip. I was talking with my friend Theresa  so when I screamed, she didn't panic, and neither did I,  because I wanted to pick up lunch and get to the hospital. However I have noticed as the day went along that the leg is kind of numb. and hurts. from hip/butt down to ankle. I did take an Aleve tonight and will put some icy hot on the hip. I do have osteoporosis, so hoping something didn't fracture in there. I'd be one of those stupid dolls in the commercials.

I do have to work tomorrow morning, and for a few hours in the afternoon, but also need to know what time Jersey's mom will pick the new fur baby up, because we want to send the baby off with a tunnel toy, as she really loves the one here.

Annie, I'm glad Chuck is home, and they figured out what was causing his problems yesterday.  I hope your hip is better tomorrow.  Take it as easy as possible, and if there is no improvement or it gets worse, please have it looked at.

9 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

@marshhawkGlad Chuck is home and I assume he has been fed. Hope your hip is ok. Try to not overdo .... we may be facing a bubble wrap shortage.

Susan

Susan, I knew we needed to invest in a bubble wrap company.  😁

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

By the way, when I posted the photos of Keelung and Taipei this morning it reminded me of the fact that the day following our visit in 2010, there was a huge landslide in Taiwan.  The landslide covered the main highway between Taipei and Keelung.  We were on that highway just 24 hours before the landslide caused death and destruction on the road.  Three cars were completely covered and 4 people died.  There was no earthquake or rains to cause the landslide so it was quite a shock.  I'm so glad we weren't there when it happened.  Can you imagine the ship trying to leave with everyone stuck on the road coming back from Taipei?  Or the possibility of losing passengers in that tragedy?

image.jpeg.731142567eeacef71ae13f79a80761ca.jpeg

Photo from the internet

That is an interesting picture of the highway from Keelung to Taipei.  Taiwan is known for earthquakes and landslides.  We were in Taipei this Spring and went through an 8.1 earthquake.  Luckily our house was fine but the East Coast took the brunt of it.  Reminds me of back in 1961 a month or two after I arrived in Taipei.  I had shipped my car (a 1955 Oldsmobile) and had to go to Keelung to pick it up.  They filled the gas and gave me a jump start and I started driving toward Taipei.  There was a tunnel on the way and when I turned on the headlights, the car died.  Apparently the generator couldn't handle the engine and lights with a dead battery.  I pulled to the side of the road and some young Taiwanese men jumped off the sidewalk and helped me push the car out of the tunnel.  One went home, got a jeep and they jump started my car.  I tried to pay them for the help, but they refused with one of them saying "You are a guest in our country"  After that I always felt comfortable in Taiwan.

Ray

• Like 14

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

That is an interesting picture of the highway from Keelung to Taipei.  Taiwan is known for earthquakes and landslides.  We were in Taipei this Spring and went through an 8.1 earthquake.  Luckily our house was fine but the East Coast took the brunt of it.  Reminds me of back in 1961 a month or two after I arrived in Taipei.  I had shipped my car (a 1955 Oldsmobile) and had to go to Keelung to pick it up.  They filled the gas and gave me a jump start and I started driving toward Taipei.  There was a tunnel on the way and when I turned on the headlights, the car died.  Apparently the generator couldn't handle the engine and lights with a dead battery.  I pulled to the side of the road and some young Taiwanese men jumped off the sidewalk and helped me push the car out of the tunnel.  One went home, got a jeep and they jump started my car.  I tried to pay them for the help, but they refused with one of them saying "You are a guest in our country"  After that I always felt comfortable in Taiwan.

Ray

What a great story and a wonderful welcome to Taiwan, Ray.

Lenda

• Like 9

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I am glad Chuck is home now and I hope he shows some improvement now that they understand the problem and hopefully corrected it.  However, I am concerned for you.  Please be careful and have the hip checked out.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• LauraS locked this topic