Stressing about phone

While on our upcoming cruise my two granddaughters at home will be celebrating birthdays. Can you please share with me how I can use my phone (carrier is Verizon) to make these important birthday calls. I thank you so very much. Happy and safe travels to all. 

Whatever you do,  don't use it on the ship. You can video call thru Facebook,  WhatsApp or FaceTime over wifi. If you can use your phone internationally,  you can call from the shore. Go to the Verizon store and ask them to help you if this confuses you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yolotraveler said:

While on our upcoming cruise my two granddaughters at home will be celebrating birthdays. Can you please share with me how I can use my phone (carrier is Verizon) to make these important birthday calls. I thank you so very much. Happy and safe travels to all. 

Obviously, this is important to you.  Contact your service provider to determine what you can do and what it will cost.

https://www.verizon.com/articles/verizon-unlimited-plans/4-ways-to-stay-connected-on-a-cruise-ship/

• Like 1

If you have a Android smart phone that has the WiFi calling feature you can just use your phone as normal.  Of course you have to be able to connect to the internet on the ship which means purchasing a plan.  Be sure WiFi calling is enabled on your phone.  You might also have to turn off roaming on your phone.  

On the ship be sure your phone is in airplane mode so you don't get charged.  After putting it in airplane mode you will have to turn WiFi back on.   And also bluetooth if you use that.  But leave it in airplane mode.

I made and received calls while on the ship just like normal.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

If you have a Android smart phone that has the WiFi calling feature you can just use your phone as normal.  Of course you have to be able to connect to the internet on the ship which means purchasing a plan.  Be sure WiFi calling is enabled on your phone.  You might also have to turn off roaming on your phone.  

On the ship be sure your phone is in airplane mode so you don't get charged.  After putting it in airplane mode you will have to turn WiFi back on.   And also bluetooth if you use that.  But leave it in airplane mode.

I made and received calls while on the ship just like normal.

Excellent advice.  Wifi mode allows for calls to US numbers.  While not applicable to the OP's case, dialing international numbers would still carry a charge. Though it is useful for things like WhatsApp.  

Solely for conversations sake, we leave our phones in wifi mode traveling or not. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

If you have a Android smart phone that has the WiFi calling feature you can just use your phone as normal. 

This also works on an iPhone. Put the phone in airplane mode and turn the wifi on. If you have a limited wifi plan from the ship, you might have to log onto the internet before you call and remember to log off when you're done. You don't want to burn up all of your internet minutes while you phone sits in your pocket.

• Thanks 1

You are an excellent grandparent!  I agree that calling your carrier first is the best plan.  You don't want to be surprised by huge phone bills.  One thing to keep in mind is that the ship WiFi is not 100% reliable (where's that satelite?) especially when out at sea.

I think an earlier post mentioned using WhatsApp, and I think that would really be the best way to go, assuming you are purchasing the Wi-Fi plan. Not only can you make free phone calls through WhatsApp from anywhere in the world , you can do free video calls through it as well. If you and/or your granddaughters (or their parents) don’t have WhatsApp, it’s easy enough to download and then you could always delete it when you get home. But if it’s a sea day for you, then you are going to need Wi-Fi access to use it. As I pointed out in a different thread, I don’t purchase any Wi-Fi, so I can’t comment on how reliable it is on the ship. I would agree with the poster who said you should make a cute video and send it out to them when you are in port, just in case you can’t get through on the actual day . 

WhatsApp is great, easy to use....and it's FREE! Just make sure that anybody you want to call/contact gets it set up before you leave. Maybe do a "test run" before you leave home so that everyone knows what to do. (It really is very easy.)

2 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I recommend Skype. Alternately, you can set up a Google Voice number and call for free anywhere you have Wi-Fi.

Skype - yikes ! 😬  but I did just check the MySpace account and our group was in agreement

Much appreciated

• Haha 2

Of course...on the other end of the spectrum...if you *really* have absolutely no interest in worrying about any of this setup and arrangement with your phone and WiFi and just want to make the calls you absolutely *can* just use the phone in your stateroom.  Full disclosure...I have never done this (and I likely never will)  but I know it can be done and I know it's going to be expensive.  I assume the cost of the call will just be charged to your cabin.

Before I get flamed on this one...I just wanted to point out that it *is* a possibility! 🙂

• Thanks 1

I also vote for using WhatsApp.

I used to always use WiFi Calling, but one time on a ship I started having issues with using it on Princess internet. I have always been successful with WhatsApp, though the receiver also must have it on their phone. Set it up before you go and try it out.

24 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Before I get flamed on this one...I just wanted to point out that it *is* a possibility! 🙂

Just looked that up. It's US$10/minute.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Just looked that up. It's US$10/minute.

I'll take your word for it...but then again if they need to make 2 phone calls and just stay on the line for a couple of minutes for each birthday person they're still paying less than the Internet package!

(I still would not go that route myself...gotta have my Internet! 😄 )

I always turn my phone on airplane mode and connect to the ships Internet. I usually make daily calls on Facebook messenger using both the video and audio chats. The only charge that you would have is for the ships Wi-Fi. If you have Princess Plus Wi-Fi is included.

Which itinerary?  iPhone or Android?  Any apps?

You mentioned that you will be at sea, so Verizon Travel Pass will be useless.  Whatever you do, try to stay away from calling at sea.

Only know iPhone.  I have done (all require INTERnet package or by the day).

Google Voice

iMessage

FaceTime

Whatsapp

Happy Birthday to the girls. 

Thank you all for the very informative information. I also appreciate your birthday wishes to my granddaughters. I will have the plus package so I may try WiFi calling on the iPhone. Safe travels to all.