new VISA requirement for Europe 2025?

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Well, yeah.... but it's better for us North Americans to be able to enter for free.

Easy to do, just get to be over 70 (which is a lot easier than somehow getting to be under 14 which would also qualify you for no fee.

Question--I am over 70 so already free, but DW is 70 not over 70. What if she applied and is 70 now but would be over 70 at the time of travel? Conversely, what if someone's child was 13 but would be 14 when they were going to Europe, fee or no fee?

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Question--I am over 70 so already free, but DW is 70 not over 70. What if she applied and is 70 now but would be over 70 at the time of travel? Conversely, what if someone's child was 13 but would be 14 when they were going to Europe, fee or no fee?

It is the age on the day of application - An ETIAS travel authorisation is valid until its expiry, regardless of the age of the person it was issued to. And 18 - not 14.
For a young person under 18 I would apply before the 18th birthday - for a person aged 70 I would wait if possible.

Edited by hallasm

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

It is the age on the day of application - An ETIAS travel authorisation is valid until its expiry, regardless of the age of the person it was issued to. And 18 - not 14.
For a young person under 18 I would apply before the 18th birthday - for a person aged 70 I would wait if possible.

OK, I got the age wrong as I was confusing it with something else.

Are you saying if a young person applied before 18 and turned 18 before or during entering one of the qualified countries, they would be ok without the ETIAS?

Posted (edited)

All of these entry systems require or at least strongly encourage the download of apps onto your phone.  I already have apps from Australia and New Zealand on my phone.  I expect to get more like ETIAS.  My conspiracy mind suggests that every major government entity in the world will eventually have a "backdoor" installed on my phone to keep track of me - to say nothing of the additional application bloat on my phone. 🙂

Edited by SelectSys

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hallasm said:

Question--I am over 70 so already free, but DW is 70 not over 70. What if she applied and is 70 now but would be over 70 at the time of travel?

The ETIAS will be required even for those under 18  but will be issued free of charge to them.  An ETIAS will also be needed for over 70's, but I THINK the "free for over 70s"    has perhaps or perhaps not, yet to be clarified as to whether payment is exempt from age 70 or whether it is exempt only from age 71 upwards, but  regardless, an ETIAS will still be needed for ALL travelers irrespective of age.

So really DW will still need an ETIAS, the only question will be whether or not she needs to pay for it and that should become clearer closer to the date it comes into force.

I don't think either of you needs to stress over this, because although it would be nice for you not to have to pay, even should it transpire that payment will be  necessary, surely  7 euros for 3 years validity is not going to make much of a difference to your finances?  Should it help, think of it as being only 2 euros and a few cents PER YEAR.

Edited by edinburgher

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The above post #55 was intended for you in response to your question.  Unfortunately I "quoted" "hallasm in error which meant hallasm received the added post notification, but you now have it.

hallasm.  Please ignore as I "quoted" you in error above.Senior moment.☹️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Are you saying if a young person applied before 18 and turned 18 before or during entering one of the qualified countries, they would be ok without the ETIAS?

No, ETIAS required but free before 18.

Posted (edited)

EES: "Recorded."

Visas: Our past VISAS--that is actual documents issued by a country's govt. allowing us to enter their borders--included Russia (St Petersburg), for which we paid $200 each and took many months, because we were not going on a ship-led excursion but rather wanted 2 full days to re-visit sites. The ship shorex took care of VISAS for their guests. On another trip, we took an external 2-day excursion, that company arranged the VISAS. Russia at that time did not allow cruisers to simply enter their country on a day excursion.

And as you may know, they are not a Schengen-area country so if we wanted to go there (we don't!), we'd still need an actual visa, not ETIAS. We got VISAS for Spain when we spent 2 weeks there. We got them for Turkiye when we spent 5 days there (beyond their 72-hour no-visa-required window). BUT! Azamara was arranging actual VISAS for their 4-day pre-cruise shorex for a trip to Cappadoccia (which we signed up for and then canceled) because it was longer than the 72-hour no-visa-required window. So that's one cruise line that's known to manage visas...

BTW, many "civilian"--not EU--articles on this topic external to this website have headings including that word, I suppose to alert people that the acronym pertains to permission to enter a country. Not saying that is CORRECT terminology. But folks will then get the gist of the subject. So that may be why you will see the word in relation to this topic.

Edited by sofietucker

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

--included Russia (St Petersburg), for which we paid $200 each and took many months, because we were not going on a ship-led excursion but rather wanted 2 full days to re-visit sites. The ship shorex took care of VISAS for their guests.

No, it is not correct. In fact, you did not have to have a visa for a cruise visit to St. Petersburg if you participated in the cruise line's excursions. 

There are situations where cruise lines have agreements on visas in connection with cruises, but as a rule you have to arrange for the Visa yourself.

And you cannot equate a Travel Authorization with a visa.  Having a valid ETIAS travel authorization does not automatically grant you the right to enter the territory of the European countries requiring ETIAS.  Also other limitations.

19 minutes ago, hallasm said:

No, it is not correct. In fact, you did not have to have a visa for a cruise visit to St. Petersburg if you participated in the cruise line's excursions. 

There are situations where cruise lines have agreements on visas in connection with cruises, but as a rule you have to arrange for the Visa yourself.

And you cannot equate a Travel Authorization with a visa.  Having a valid ETIAS travel authorization does not automatically grant you the right to enter the territory of the European countries requiring ETIAS.  Also other limitations.

Lol, you are mistaking--repeatedly--what I have said. Were it not so old and therefore unobtainable, I would hunt down and provide you the actual text from the HAL and shoreside trip company documents regarding visas in Russia at the times we visited But our entertainment time here is over. Have good day.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Lol, you are mistaking--repeatedly-

From https://ru.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/st-petersburg/u-s-citizenship-services/special-entry-exit-requirements/

”You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. You may go ashore without a visa during port calls, but only if you are with an organized tour and accompanied at all times by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities. Cruise ship and ferry lines offer shore tours that meet these requirements. If you want to do sightseeing on your own, you must have a visa.” 

From HAL web
IMG_8701.thumb.jpeg.f4309cc46d302f865faf3cbc0842b122.jpeg

Edited by hallasm

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

included Russia (St Petersburg), for which we paid $200 each and took many months, because we were not going on a ship-led excursion but rather wanted 2 full days to re-visit sites

You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. You may go ashore without a visa during port calls, but only if you are with an organized tour and accompanied at all times by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities.

You could have revisited sites using a locally registered Russian tour operator, of which there were several to choose from at the time, You would not have needed a visa. to tour with them and you would have saved the £400 you paid for your visas, instead using towards the cost of the private tours.  We did that (with Red October) and had no need to buy costly visas.  All it meant was that we could not leave the ship unless on tour, and that was fine with us as both full days touring were tiring.

28 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

£400 you paid for your visas

Should have read $400 not £s 400.

We also had to buy evisas for Turkey on our initial visits quite some years ago,  but it is puzzling why you had to buy actual visas for a short two week stay in Spain, as Spain joined Schengen around 30 years ago and a two week stay should not have been an issue for US nationals, (but US citizens reading this will know better than I)  although It may have been because back then you didn't meet the criteria for a visa free stay?  Please do read the criteria which has to be met for an  ETIAS, and should you  not qualify you may indeed need an actual visa..

Posted (edited)

For anyone who has followed this convoluted thread from the start and who has not lost the will to live somewhere along the way, the links given in  post #5 are official links and can be referred to for updates in the months to come. And hopefully any questions anyone  might still  have will be answered on these, if not at present then following possible updates.

ETIAS

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/smart-borders/european-travel-information-authorisation-system_en

Additionally, if you're planning on travel to the UK, keep an eye on the UK ETA.  It applies to only a few countries at the moment but will likely be expanded in time:

ETA (For the UK)

htps://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-an-electronic-travel-authorisation-eta#who-does-not-need-aneta

Edited by edinburgher

32 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

and who has not lost the will to live somewhere along the way

Fortunately, I have a whole bunch of other things to occupy my time and attention.

On 8/25/2024 at 7:07 AM, ontheweb said:

I was told there would be no math