Crash/Injury on Abyss Slide

Hi all, I just wanted to share this here in case it happens to anyone else. I am reading a few accounts of getting rub burns on the Ultimate Abyss slide, but not this.

On our cruise, 7 year old DS had been riding the Abyss slide on Symphony and having fun on it, but last ride just after starting off, the carpet slid too high up in the corner and he flipped. Result was him going down the run on his face/belly with the carpet on top of him. Came out the end with injuries to his face and hands, plus banged up knees, elbow and wrist.

Not sure what could have caused it other than he was able to go too fast. Like I said he had been down several times so knew what to do.

They sent us down to medical and he was checked out. Nothing broken thank goodness! Still has marks on his hand now and was stiff for a day or so.

I suggested on the safety report that maybe they have higher resistance carpets for kids so they don't go as fast. Medical followed up with us the day after the incident by phone and also the hotel manager sent a fruit basket with a get well card. Will update if we hear anything further from them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Abyss is known for problems - not much fun, but many problems!

I've never heard of anything happening on this slide until this. If anything, most reports are that it goes too slow (and that's why they added speed rollers to the one on Utopia) and maybe a little road rash if you let your arms drag. 

@TBone2Ksorry this happened to your son and hope he's feeling better! 

• Like 2

I have never heard of any problem on the Abyss. From my experience the slide is on the slow side. However, I would not let a 7 year old ride the slide. If you look at the slide it is pretty steep, so the potential exists for someone to get seriously hurt. Glad to hear the OP’s son is okay relatively speaking. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TBone2K said:

I suggested on the safety report that maybe they have higher resistance carpets for kids so they don't go as fast. Medical followed up with us the day after the incident by phone and also the hotel manager sent a fruit basket with a get well card. Will update if we hear anything further from them.

Why would you expect to hear further from them?  For a seven year old, knowing what to do and doing it are not always the same thing. Can’t blame him but not their fault either.

I have read several reports on CC of brush burns. I had ridden it (once four times in succession) with no problems because I was so careful to keep my arms close to my body. The last time I tried it, on the Symphony, I must have gotten so dizzy I passed out for a moment because close to the end of the slide, I found myself in a very relaxed state with my face against the side of the slide. I had a brush burn on my forehead that took a couple of weeks to heal. I wish I could still ride safely, but there is no way I would ever try it again.  I think the dizziness was part of the balance issues that can develop with aging. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have read several reports on CC of brush burns. I had ridden it (once four times in succession) with no problems because I was so careful to keep my arms close to my body. The last time I tried it, on the Symphony, I must have gotten so dizzy I passed out for a moment because close to the end of the slide, I found myself in a very relaxed state with my face against the side of the slide. I had a brush burn on my forehead that took a couple of weeks to heal. I wish I could still ride safely, but there is no way I would ever try it again.  I think the dizziness was part of the balance issues that can develop with aging. 

That also can happen when you are really enjoying your Beverage Package. 😂🍷 

• Haha 8

37 minutes ago, doghog said:

That also can happen when you are really enjoying your Beverage Package. 😂🍷 

I wish that was the case!  We are D+ and out of our five drinks a day, only one has alcohol.  Sometimes we have only 5-6 drinks on a 7-night cruise.  What is happening is that I am getting old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

So whose fault is it?  The plummeter or Royal Caribbean?  

Not looking for fault, I just wanted to share for the benefit of anyone else who might experience this.

The only time there might some fault on RC's part is if they allowed someone on the ride who didn't meet the height requirement (DS does meet it), or some other guideline the ride operators are supposed to enforce, or ignoring an ongoing issue (which doesn't sound like the case here).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

These are the chances you take when you make the choice to plummet down a 50 ft plastic tube. 
So whose fault is it?  The plummeter or Royal Caribbean?  

There is no fault to assign.  It was just one of those things that happen.  It let me know that I had passed the point where that type of activity is wise. I gave up roller coasters, too, after that happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I wish that was the case!  We are D+ and out of our five drinks a day, only one has alcohol.  Sometimes we have only 5-6 drinks on a 7-night cruise.  What is happening is that I am getting old!

Need a friend. 😂 Aren't we all. Enjoying the adventure one day at a time. 🍻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

In my day as a 7 yo if you came home without cuts, scrapes and bruises you weren't playing hard enough.  

My thoughts exactly. Kids fall down.  They might get a few scrapes and bumps. They get back up again and carry on. Helicopter parents worried about every scrape and bump don’t help their kids learn how to persevere through things that are hard. 

• Like 7

Firstly what does DS mean? 

Kids and slides it happens, its good for them to be scuffed up a bit. Never heard anyone rolling over in one, seen plenty of kids messing about going down, same as in soft play parks when taking my daughter. 

Scuff esp burns are always sore so feel for them tbh. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Firstly what does DS mean? 

Kids and slides it happens, its good for them to be scuffed up a bit. Never heard anyone rolling over in one, seen plenty of kids messing about going down, same as in soft play parks when taking my daughter. 

Scuff esp burns are always sore so feel for them tbh. 

You can't see anyone messing about going down the Abyss. It is a ten story high, completely enclosed, dry slide.  Very different than someone messing around on a slide in a park.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

In my day as a 7 yo if you came home without cuts, scrapes and bruises you weren't playing hard enough.  

Do kids these days even know how to climb a tree?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I went down on the Abyss on Symphony.  To me, it's pretty darn fast.

I think weight helps keep you steady and centered as you go down, so I can see how a light kid could flip.  

I'm not sure I'd let a 7 year old up without me overseeing the takeoff each time, no matter how much I trusted them.  I didn't trust my own older boy to not screw around - thus, why I went down (b/c once you're up there...)...