Why???? not the last cruise before repositioning?

mafig

I've read several times not to book the last cruise before repositioning.  Why?  I believe we did once, many years ago on Eclipse and we had a great time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, mafig said:

I've read several times not to book the last cruise before repositioning.  Why?  I believe we did once, many years ago on Eclipse and we had a great time.

Our experiences have been business as usual. We did get killer deals on fleece lined jackets in the ship store while on a Caribbean cruise.  We will be on the Edge in September. Last cruise of the year for Alaska. Looking forward to the cruise.

Edited by doghog

I think last cruise before dry dock when facilities may start to be unavailable if major update can be a problem.

Also, I think FIRST cruise AFTER repositioning can be more difficult when crew are trying to adjust to a new market clientele. 

• Like 1

We avoid cruises just before and after dry dock. Quite often workers will be onboard before dry dock getting the ship ready; after dry dock they're finishing work that was not completed.

We've done many B2B cruises which included a repositioning cruise.  Never experienced an issue.

• Like 1

I've done numerous B2B's both before and after a re-positing cruise.   I have never experienced any change in service.  The one thing I have noticed is that on some of the cruises they have many staff (especially those  living close to the seasonal position) end their contract just before the re-positioning.     This usually is more noticeable on the re-positing cruise  - due to training of new staff.

We've found the cruises before major itinerary changes to be "off' for two reasons: first, senior staff are fully engaged in planning for the major changes (from provisioning to staffing to entertainment - the hotel director will tell you it's a very busy time) and the passenger-facing staff are often about to leave the ship (and can't wait to leave)  or they are new and are finding their way and involved in many hours of training. I don't avoid those cruises, but have found the cumulative effect noticeable. 

5 hours ago, bavrail18 said:

Sometimes the first cruise after an atlantic or pacific crossing can have a delayed boarding. (Coast guard inspections and immigration procedure for crew)

That wouldn’t be a reason to avoid booking for us.  Just before a major renovation yes, but those aren’t happening at this point.

I have done two Alaska cruises just before re-positioning. Both times there were a maximum of one other ship in port. That made for much nicer time ashore. Stores were clearing out merchandise on shore and onboard the ship. Good deals. There was no difference that we noticed on board.

I was on a cruise right before the Carnival Splendor relocated from the Mexican Riviera to Singapore in 2019.  We met several more senior crew members who timed the end of their contract to coincide with the relocation.  They wanted to remain on US based cruises as opposed to going to the Asian markets.

We had booked a b2b, a 4 nighter followed by a 10 nighter, for April of this year on Silhouette with the second cruise being the last before it repositioned to Europe. Several months before sailing we were notified that Celebrity decided to cancel the 10 night cruise and were moving the ship that week. Needless to say we were so disappointed as it was to be our first b2b. They accommodated us by moving the 10 day, same cabin, no extra charge (it was the PH, which was thousands more at this pt) and gave us $400 in OBC. What was upsetting is they wouldn’t help with the 4 night cruise. They said they couldn’t help with that because that cruise was still sailing without changes. There was one on each end of the moved 10 nighter, but the price was absurd and they wouldn’t budge on price or offer anything else for ruining our plans. In the end we cancelled the 4 nights and they refunded the non refundable deposit. Took the moved cruise 2 months earlier than we wanted. 
Lesson learned, I will never book what is suppose to be the “last” cruise before a reposition. 

Only cruise we have had issues with is the one the week before the President came aboard. Half the sunset deck closed two days running as they sanded and painted deck rails etc. Deep cleaning and painting in other areas too…Whilst we are used to seeing ongoing maintenance we had never seen it to this level.

In the UK we always say the King thinks the world smells of new paint as everywhere he goes…Obviously, Lisa, as it was at the time, must have thought the same…

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mafig said:

Are you sure they said repositioning and not refurbishing?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We avoid cruises just before and after dry dock. Quite often workers will be onboard before dry dock getting the ship ready; after dry dock they're finishing work that was not completed.

We've done many B2B cruises which included a repositioning cruise.  Never experienced an issue.

What does a dry dock typically include? We’re on Apex next year just after a dry dock (I think) what if anything do they change?

3 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

What does a dry dock typically include? We’re on Apex next year just after a dry dock (I think) what if anything do they change?

A true dry dock can include anything from painting the hull to replacing mechanical equipment.  Although not requiring a dry dock, new carpets all the way up to a redesign of various public areas can be done while the ship is out of the water.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

There can be a big difference depending on whether it is a routine mandatory dry dock for maintenance, or if there is a major revamp scheduled. 

When a major revamp is involved the week before can include tearing out certain physical features resulting in closed venues. Sometimes cosmetic updates can continue to be completed after dry dock on the first revenue cruise. 

We've done a couple of cruises prior to a dry dock. Yes, sales on clothes in the shops. We've also seen this on repositioning cruises where the ship is going from Caribbean to Northern Europe. 

The only major thing we noticed was pallets of supplies (construction or decor supplies) on upper decks that I had to take a whole 2 or 3 extra steps to walk around. No issues with crew being inattentive. 

I wonder if people say not to take those cruises because they're hoping to keep the passenger numbers down so the prices stay low. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

I’m interested to hear what the Apex dry dock will entail.  I’m on the TA arriving in Barcelona just before that.  I was hoping to book a cruise on her as well but I think she will be out of commission for 2 weeks.

14 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

6th April Barcelona to Southampton? We’re in this cruise too, and from what I can tell she must be in dry dock for the few weeks before this as there’s a huge gap in her itinerary. 

Wondering what this cruise will be like! The deal we got for it was too good not to sail!

2 hours ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

6th April Barcelona to Southampton? We’re in this cruise too, and from what I can tell she must be in dry dock for the few weeks before this as there’s a huge gap in her itinerary. 

Wondering what this cruise will be like! The deal we got for it was too good not to sail!

I'm on the TA ending in Barcelona on March 21.  I understand she will then have a few weeks of dry dock.  Not sure why since she has only been sailing for 3ish years.  My guess though would be for routine maintenance and a few nips and tucks.

56 minutes ago, Liao said:

I'm on the TA ending in Barcelona on March 21.  I understand she will then have a few weeks of dry dock.  Not sure why since she has only been sailing for 3ish years.  My guess though would be for routine maintenance and a few nips and tucks.

Apex Inaugural: April 2020, so next year is 5 years , so it needs to go into dry dock for inspection 

1 hour ago, Liao said:

SOLAS rules:  "For a passenger vessel, the bottom is inspected annually.  Two such inspections in a period of five years must be carried out in dry dock, and the maximum interval between these inspections should be three years."

24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Apex Inaugural: April 2020, so next year is 5 years , so it needs to go into dry dock for inspection 

Oh that’s right, she had to sit around for a year after she was ready