I have Princess Vacation Protection but.......

Clampram

We will be going down to Florida 5 days before our cruise starts and staying one extra day after disembarcation. I assume that the insurance will not cover my non cruise time on this trip. Do you add additional insurance for this type of situation??

22 minutes ago, Clampram said:

We will be going down to Florida 5 days before our cruise starts and staying one extra day after disembarcation. I assume that the insurance will not cover my non cruise time on this trip. Do you add additional insurance for this type of situation??

Since you are going to be in the US, I wouldn't add anymore.  If you book hotels that can be canceled and flights that can be changed, your medical insurance should cover you if that would arise.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Do you live in the U. S.? If yes, your normal health insurance will cover you for medical emergencies. If you are not from the U.S. then I guess you have to purchase travel insurance. 

Edited by skynight

It all depends on the hotel you are staying at and their cancellation policy.

I stayed at a hotel that had 48 hours where I couldn't cancel the hotel and that was the 48 hours where I broke my wrist.

• Like 1

This topic of insurance is very confusing. Last evening I reviewed my Princess Platinum Plan and I was surprised to see that the medical coverage is only $20,000. That does not cover much in the event of a serious emergency/hospitalization. In the light of that I am going to buy additional insurance. Geo Blue looks promising

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clampram said:

This topic of insurance is very confusing. Last evening I reviewed my Princess Platinum Plan and I was surprised to see that the medical coverage is only $20,000. That does not cover much in the event of a serious emergency/hospitalization. In the light of that I am going to buy additional insurance. Geo Blue looks promising

We use the Annual Plan with Geo Blue which was a perfect solution to the medical needs of those of us on Medicare since with many plans you are not covered out of the country. 
The new issue with it, is that once you turn 70 the maximum coverage is reduced.  The maximum benefit is $100,000 which is probably sufficient but we should keep this in mind if we are "seniors"

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you're from the US, your existing medical insurance will cover you.

Unless you are on Medicare....not all will cover you.
Also, with many travel insurance polices, you have to have a regular policy in place since they will try that insurance first before the travel insurance is accessed....at least that is what I have seen.

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

If you require medical attention in Florida your regular insurance will be the primary coverage. 

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Also, with many travel insurance polices, you have to have a regular policy in place since they will try that insurance first before the travel insurance is accessed....at least that is what I have seen.

Our Medicare Advantage plan covers us but only as reimbursement after we have paid for it. This is through Kaiser Oregon. Broke 3 ribs on a cruise last year paid for the ships medical fees on the folio submitted the paperwork to our provider and received reimbursement within weeks

30 minutes ago, memoak said:

Our Medicare Advantage plan covers us but only as reimbursement after we have paid for it. This is through Kaiser Oregon. Broke 3 ribs on a cruise last year paid for the ships medical fees on the folio submitted the paperwork to our provider and received reimbursement within weeks

same for us when I passed out on REGAL - UHC Advantage reimbursed the ship charges we paid when we settled our folio - then AON picked up the deductibles and co-pays for medical services when back home followups.

PRO TIP again - get the copy of the medical records and charges - even if you have to pay the $28.  Get copy of final folio showing you paid for those charges before leaving the ship

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Clampram said:

20 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you're from the US, your existing medical insurance will cover you.

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

This response was to @Clampram who will be in Florida for five days before a Princess cruise and was asking about additional insurance to cover the pre-cruise time in Florida. Any US based medical insurance, including Medicare, would cover sickness or injury in Florida before the cruise. The only thing that would not be covered would be hotel cancellation penalties (if the hotel were not booked through Princess) and air cancellation penalties (if the air was not booked through Princess), which may be small enough to cover without insurance.

A secondary travel insurance policy does not normally require you to have another policy in place. You are only required to submit to another policy first if you have another policy. If you do not have another policy, then the secondary policy becomes primary. I've been reimbursed for medical expenses by AON under Princess Vacation Protection without submitting to my other insurance first. They did not require me to submit to Medicare because they knew that Medicare did not provide coverage outside the US. They did not require me to submit to Tricare for Life because US law says Tricare for Life is secondary to all other insurance except Medicaid or Tricare supplements, including secondary to any travel insurance.

OP - Are you staying at a particularly expensive resort with an onerous cancellation policy, etc.? If so, I would compare the cost of any additional travel insurance to the likelihood/chance you think something will happen, etc. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, suzyed said:

Why doesn't Medicare cover you on land in the US? 

If you are from the US and travel to another state, your medical insurance would absolutely cover you. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

4 hours ago, Clampram said:

We added the IMG Travel LX policy in addition to our Princess Vacation Protection exactly because of the low medical coverage on Princess.  After a discussion with our Aardy agent we chose to get a policy with $1000 coverage ($500 each) which cost us $217 for a 26 day period.  The medical coverage is $500,000 and medical evacuation is $1,000,000 and the policy is primary so it pays first.  A policy like this will cover the OPs situation as well as the cruise should something happen on the cruise.   If nothing else it buys us peace of mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PR-Texas said:

We added the IMG Travel LX policy in addition to our Princess Vacation Protection exactly because of the low medical coverage on Princess.  After a discussion with our Aardy agent we chose to get a policy with $1000 coverage ($500 each) which cost us $217 for a 26 day period.  The medical coverage is $500,000 and medical evacuation is $1,000,000 and the policy is primary so it pays first.  A policy like this will cover the OPs situation as well as the cruise should something happen on the cruise.   If nothing else it buys us peace of mind.

Exactly what we did but we were flying to Europe and not Florida or other US state for several days before our cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Why doesn't Medicare cover you on land in the US? 

If you are from the US and travel to another state, your medical insurance would absolutely cover you. 

That's not what I meant....it may not cover you OUT of the country.

8 hours ago, Clampram said:

We use an annual plan from GeoBlue for medical and also have a MedJet membership 

On 8/19/2024 at 12:59 PM, Clampram said:

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

That's not what I meant....it may not cover you OUT of the country.

The poster said they were traveling to Florida.