Annoyed with boombox passengers

3 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

IMG_0117.png

IMG_0118.png

If wearing a t-shirt to the MDR makes me a man child then that's a label I wear proudly. If I also wear shorts though does that make me a man toddler? How about if I also wear flip flops, man infant? 

Do I then qualify for kids sail free?? 

The only think I know for certain is that if I complain about or let other people's attire in the MDR affect me in the slightest I become a man baby. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If someone is listening to very loud music in a public space, you can't help hearing it.

If someone is smoking right next to you, you can't help smelling it. 

If someone is wearing a T-shirt in the MDR, you don't have to look at it. I'm always amazed by how many cruisers seem to be laser focused on what others are wearing. When I'm having my dinner, my focus is on my food and dining companions, not on whether some stranger at the next table is wearing a T-shirt and jeans or a tuxedo. 

Anyway to the OP, no, you are not a "crabby 50 year old". I'm in my thirties and can't 

stand boomboxes either. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If wearing a t-shirt to the MDR makes me a man child then that's a label I wear proudly. If I also wear shorts though does that make me a man toddler? How about if I also wear flip flops, man infant? 

Do I then qualify for kids sail free?? 

The only think I know for certain is that if I complain about or let other people's attire in the MDR affect me in the slightest I become a man baby. 

Hey I’m with you.  As you can see.  This is what I wear every formal night.    I buy a new shirt every cruise.    Couldn’t rewear a tshirt on formal night.   Lolo

i actuall had a 4start general compliment me on my formal wear one night.   
he said I wish I could pull that off.  But my wife would kill me.  Lololol.   
as I’m sure a lot of other men would like to do.  If it wasn’t for the wife.  Lolol. 

and I get it.  Some people like to take pictures all dressed up.   And I’m ok with that.   But don’t look down on me for what I’m wearing.      

like the sign says right outside my cabin door “forget the rules if you like it wear it”.   

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_7784.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Hey I’m with you.  As you can see.  This is what I wear every formal night.    I buy a new shirt every cruise.    Couldn’t rewear a tshirt on formal night.   Lolo

i actuall had a 4start general compliment me on my formal wear one night.   
he said I wish I could pull that off.  But my wife would kill me.  Lololol.   
as I’m sure a lot of other men would like to do.  If it wasn’t for the wife.  Lolol. 

and I get it.  Some people like to take pictures all dressed up.   And I’m ok with that.   But don’t look down on me for what I’m wearing.      

like the sign says right outside my cabin door “forget the rules if you like it wear it”.   

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_7784.jpeg

I LOVE IT!!!! lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Decorum is dead, few people today understand the concept much less know the definition. And, many people who do know, have discarded it. 

that the word Freedom gets tossed around.  People feel free to do as they please because they have their freedom to do so.  I am sure the folks who work on cruise ships have lots to chat about when off duty.

• Thanks 2

On 8/23/2024 at 3:39 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

OP-you are not wrong. I am finding Royal Caribbean passenger behavior becoming increasingly rude, and often confrontational. I don’t sail many other cruise lines so I don’t know if it is specific to Royal Caribbean or across-the-board.  I don’t know if this is a trait of everyone these days (on a cruise or otherwise.), or just a decline in behavior of the Royal Caribbean passenger.   I can’t understand the selfishness of someone who would think everyone around the pool wants to listen to their particular music.  

Sorry you had to experience this on your vacation. 
m

Not just Royal passengers. We have a little bay on the lake where we live- aptly named "3 foot bay" we have a boat. We live in a college town (see my avatar). Kids have taken to renting large pontoon boats with captains and coming out to the bay, they bring large blue tooth speakers. Now the wake boats have turned up with even larger speakers, and now there is a private pontoon boat with club style speakers (size of yeti coolers) with a stripper pole (and girls) that's now turning up. We just turn off our music as we can't hear our "yacht rock" anyhow.....

3 hours ago, MyriamS said:

If someone is listening to very loud music in a public space, you can't help hearing it.

If someone is smoking right next to you, you can't help smelling it. 

If someone is wearing a T-shirt in the MDR, you don't have to look at it. I'm always amazed by how many cruisers seem to be laser focused on what others are wearing. When I'm having my dinner, my focus is on my food and dining companions, not on whether some stranger at the next table is wearing a T-shirt and jeans or a tuxedo. 

Anyway to the OP, no, you are not a "crabby 50 year old". I'm in my thirties and can't 

stand boomboxes either. 

I don’t notice or care what others are wearing……BUT once we were eating a late lunch in the expensive French restaurant in Epcot, and a couple came in and was seated right next to our table. If he hadn’t stunk SO BADLY of BO and BUTT, I probably wouldn’t have noticed he was wearing a filthy dirty wife beater shirt. We couldn’t believe they let him in to the fancy place, not because of what we was wearing, which was horrible, but because he seriously smelled that bad. We complained, paid for our meal and quickly left.  And we’ve never been back there. Although it was annoying at the time, it’s now good for a laugh from us now and then

10 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

But wearing a tshirt is not against policy... in fact, the head waiter told us last cruise to "dress how you want-- as long as you can't get in the pool with it, you can eat in it- formal dining is for those who want pictures, comfortable dining is for those on vacation"  I wish they would just take that mans quote and post it all over the place. Still not sure how a t-shirt interferes with your dining experience. Go to Cunard if you want stuffy people overdressed for dinner every night. 

Why are you associating stuffy with dressing up or cruising on Cunard???  There is no correlation. 

An equal question would be, if you want to wear tee-shirts and shorts, why not eat in the Windjammer (which is a casual environment)?  Or, why not petition for a picnic table section in the MDR that might have the casual vibe you're looking for on vacation (sarcasm).

At the end of the day, you are all going to wear what you want to wear.  While I don't think some dress is appropriate in the MDR, it is my opinion.  I've never let anyone's dress take away from my experience nor have I interfered with theirs. 

My point has always been that people complain about smoking, noise etc... but don't hold themselves accountable for other things (like dress in the MDR).

For the record, from the Royal Caribbean Blog, this is the outline for dress code:

Royal Caribbean outlines their dress code requirements online. You can expect to find three different dress codes on your Royal Caribbean cruise: Casual, Smart Casual, and Formal (or Dress Your Best). 

Shorts are not permitted in the main dining room for dinner for any of the dress codes on Royal Caribbean cruises, other than breakfast or lunch meals. 

Here are a few basic definitions of each dress code according to Royal Caribbean standards. 

• Casual: Exactly as it implies - you are on vacation, after all! Casual dress code implies jeans, sundresses, blouses, and polos are all aligned with being laid back on vacation. Swimwear needs to be kept to the pool deck. Shorts are acceptable for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room.
  • Smart Casual: Consider this a step up from typical dinner wear. Outfits for this evening could include collar shirts, dresses, skirts, and blouses or pantsuits. For men, snazzy jackets, sports coats, and blazers are welcomed. 
  • Formal or Dress Your Best: This is the night you’ll want to dress your fanciest. Consider packing cocktail dresses, evening gowns, ties, tuxedos, or suits for your best black-tie look. 

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

WHAT "policy"?  A "recommendation" is NOT a "policy".  So, please, point to the policy you're referring to. 

Recommendation in this case is actually policy.  They just say things nicely such as "Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch."

It's pretty easy to find in Royal FAQs:

Q

What is the dress code for my cruise?

A

ONBOARD THE SHIP:

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcome. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Formal nights

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

WHAT "policy"?  A "recommendation" is NOT a "policy".  So, please, point to the policy you're referring to. 

Yes, actually it is a policy, politely written.

Q

A

ONBOARD THE SHIP:

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcome. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Formal nights

7 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

What’s this man child outfit you keep referring to?       Asking for a friend.    

Hmmm, shorts and tee-shirt are a good start.

Again, my point is that people complain about other things but don't hold themselves accountable for something like dress in the MDR because they feel they should be able to dress how they want, when they want and where they want.  To me, this is a level of self-entitlement especially when the same people complain about other people smoking or listening to music.  I don't let other people bother me on the cruise for however they're dressed.  I'm too involved with my family.  However, this is a discussion forum and I'm pointing out a truth that seems to bother a lot of people.  End of the day, we're not going to agree.  I can live with it.

13 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Again, my point is that people complain about other things but don't hold themselves accountable for something like dress in the MDR because they feel they should be able to dress how they want, when they want and where they want.  To me, this is a level of self-entitlement especially when the same people complain about other people smoking or listening to music.  I don't let other people bother me on the cruise for however they're dressed.  I'm too involved with my family.  However, this is a discussion forum and I'm pointing out a truth that seems to bother a lot of people.  End of the day, we're not going to agree.  I can live with it.

No where on RC page that you quoted does it say shorts are not allowed.    
It does say.
 MDR and specialty dining. Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in MDR or specialty dining venues for dinner.     

NO WHERE DOES IT SAY SHORTS.     

and if I’m a man child because I wear shorts and a tshirt.    I’m one of the best lookin ones.     And I’m ok with that.    

1 thing I’m not.   Is judgmental.    

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Yes, actually it is a policy, politely written.

Q

A

ONBOARD THE SHIP:

Formal nights

Sorry, you need to read again... those are "SUGGESTIONS", not a policy.  It even says "types of SUGGESTED attire".  A "policy" would be something one needs to follow or they are subject to discipline (not being allowed in the MDR).  

If someone is smoking where they shouldn't be, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  Hopefully something is done.

If someone has portable speakers or making a bunch of noise, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  Hopefully something is done.

If someone wears shorts and/or a t-shirt on formal night to the MDR, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  NOTHING will be done. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, you need to read again... those are "SUGGESTIONS", not a policy.  It even says "types of SUGGESTED attire".  A "policy" would be something one needs to follow or they are subject to discipline (not being allowed in the MDR).  

If someone is smoking where they shouldn't be, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  Hopefully something is done.

If someone has portable speakers or making a bunch of noise, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  Hopefully something is done.

If someone wears shorts and/or a t-shirt on formal night to the MDR, you can go to a crew member and point them out.  NOTHING will be done. 

I was on a Panama Canal cruise.     
land there was someone smoking on a balcony a few decks below me.   
I reported them. And never seen them smoke on the balcony again.  
Same cruise my neighbor was playing his tv obnoxiously loud all day every day listening to Fox News. I couldn’t enjoy my balcony and read or relax at all.    
I reported it a few times.   After 2 days and the guy almost getting into a fight with the neighbor on the other side.  They moved him away from us.   

No one reported me to anyone for wearing shorts every night in the MDR.  As it doesn’t hurt or affect anyone unless they’re judgmental.    Lolol  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Here my experience with boomboxes.  In the 90's I took public transportation to and from work.  In the morning my journey was uneventful.  On my way home not so much.  when I boarded the bus for my 4 mile trip home I was greeted with three to four boomboxes,   Everyone of the on a different station and the volume cranked to mach 5!  The twenty minute trip was so painful and the bus driver was not going to scold the youths.  Thankfully they all go off at a shopping mall.  Guess what they always did when they vacated the bus.  THEY TURNED THEIR BOOM BOXES DOWM!!! 

14 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t notice or care what others are wearing……BUT once we were eating a late lunch in the expensive French restaurant in Epcot, and a couple came in and was seated right next to our table. If he hadn’t stunk SO BADLY of BO and BUTT, I probably wouldn’t have noticed he was wearing a filthy dirty wife beater shirt. We couldn’t believe they let him in to the fancy place, not because of what we was wearing, which was horrible, but because he seriously smelled that bad. We complained, paid for our meal and quickly left.  And we’ve never been back there. Although it was annoying at the time, it’s now good for a laugh from us now and then

You never went back to Epcot, Disney World, or the French restaurant?

13 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

What is your feeling about people who dress it up on formal night then, for whatever reason, feel the need to come check out the Windjammer? I guess those of us in there are just a more low keyed and accepting group of people. We couldn't care less that they are messing up our casual environment.😉😇

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s called dress your best, and everyone’s best varies.  

Not to mention that the best of what is in my suitcase may be very different from what is hanging in my closet back home. I go to the Caribbean to warm up from winter. It is hot down there. I pack shorts.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 4:29 PM, chiguypaul said:

Just venting. I’m annoyed and tired of the passengers who bring boomboxes to the pool and whirlpool and play them loudly. Even in the solarium ... 

I've never seen a BoomBox onboard ... do they still make those?  I have seen/heard small speakers maybe half the size of the Kleenex box here on my desk.  Two thoughts on the topic:  

- While I do not wish to listen to other people's music, I have been just as annoyed by groups of loud talkers near the pool while I'm trying to read.  Last time I was disturbed by anyone, it was a group of loud card players next to me at Coco Cay ... they were super nice people, just loud.  

- The Solarium isn't a quiet area.  Just an adult area.  

On 8/25/2024 at 1:26 AM, bonsai3s said:

Agree...except for 1975...that was a great year for me. :classic_smile:

Good year for me too.  I was in third grade.  Loved those monkey bars.  

On 8/25/2024 at 9:21 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

You can't plug your ears to totally block out sound so you can't ignore it. You can't breathe different air than what is in the venue so you can't ignore it. You CAN, however, not look at the casual dressers and you can ignore it.

Well, to some extent.  When everyone's dressed up, the effort everyone's put in brings an excitement, a sense of importance and elegance to the meal.  People on these boards want to push that to the extreme, and that's wrong -- overly casual diners don't outright ruin a meal, nor are they completely inconsequential.  It's more of a mid-point issue:  They DO dampen the atmosphere.  

19 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

That's not witty.  

15 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yeah, this was an unfortunate situation, but note that you were in an expensive restaurant in the middle of DISNEY WORLD.  Shorts and tees are appropriate wear at Disney, and people do get hot and sweaty.  

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2024 at 2:00 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

No, but by calling it a "boombox" you're definitely showing your age!😅

In my hood, it was called Ghetto Blaster.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You never went back to Epcot, Disney World, or the French restaurant?

The French place…..it was too expensive anyway.  We don’t eat at Disney places often and this was years ago. Currently we are Disney AP but considering not renewing this year.