The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 26th, 2024

richwmn

Today is National Dog Day, National Toilet Paper Day, and National WebMistress Day

To know nothing is the happiest life. - Desiderius Erasmus

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Almond Pesto & Butter Beans
Drink of the Day - Vanilla Sky
Wine of the Day - Paix Sur Terre 2022 Old Oak Vineyard Zinfandel (Paso Robles Willow Creek Distric
Destination of the Day - Tromso, Norway

Today in History:
1682 English astronomer Edmond Halley first observes the comet named after him
1959 British Motor Corporation introduces the Morris Mini-Minor, designed by Alec Issigonis, it was only 10 ft long but seated 4 passengers

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Juneau, Alaska   1230-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska   eta 08-27  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
Alesund, Norway   1000-1800  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Hubbard Glacier, Alaska   1500-1800  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Civitavecchia-Rome
At Sea Destination Dubrovnik, Croatia   eta 08-27  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas
Copenhagen, Denmark   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
At Sea Destination Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   eta 08-27  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska   eta 08-27  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0900-1800  

0826Alaska.thumb.png.348e400f558c087a0bada05c7f88ce24.png

0826Atlantic.thumb.png.642aed29936df993afaf2b8cc05fe0ae.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB back in the hospital for swollen knee and infection post TKR

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Safe travels home StLouisCruisers

Safe travels home Aliaschief & DWAliaschief

Safe travels to Jacksonville Cruzin Terri and Jim

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Luvteaching’s stuck hip flexor muscle, slow improvement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 46th Anniversary CrabbyPatti (Denise)!

Happy 46th Anniversary Jodi58 (Jodi)!

Vict0riann’s DH Pat discharged from the hospital

Kazu accepted an offer on her house

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Tbay (Volendam Aug 31 to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 59th Anniversary

6 days for Lindaler (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

6 days for Richwmn (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

6 days for Seasick Sailor (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary

6 days for USN59-79 (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England, LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Dobiemom (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 27

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It was a nice weekend here weather-wise, however, summer is returning this week with temps back in the middle and upper 90s.

My sister booked her cabin Saturday and is cruising with us next March. 🙂 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day! 

IMG_1034.JPG

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Vanilla Sky cocktail:

There is no way you can resist the vanilla sky cocktail, which is a twist on a Caribbean cruise drink you've probably had before. Delicious tropical flavors and smooth vanilla dance through this cocktail experience, with vanilla dueling pineapple flavoring.
Ingredients:
3/4 oz. lime juice
.25 cup pineapple juice
3/4 oz. orgeat syrup
1/1/2 oz. vanilla vodka
1 1/2 oz. orange curacao
Directions:
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, Combine vodka, liqueur, syrup, lime juice, and pineapple juice and shake until chilled.
Pour into a glass filled with ice and garnish with pineapple and/or mint(optional).

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 6.31.41 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  Our last morning here and the temp early today is 78.  High will again be around 97F with sunshine. We leave for the airport in about 3 hours.  Let’s hope for an uneventful flight and no turbulence or delays of any kind.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps. National Dog day will be widely observed today I’m sure.  An essential product like toilet paper has its own day!  I don’t know any but have no problem with women who design and maintain websites.  The Erasmus quote is not for me!  The meal suggestion sounds like we’re trying to clean out the fridge so I’ll pass on it, the drink and the wine.  It must have been exciting for Halley to observe the comet for the first time and have it be named for him.  That Morris Mini-Minor sounds interesting.  Thank you to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today on the food and beverages.  We appreciate you!

Special prayers for our Care list individuals including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB who has had a huge flare up in his knee, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Terri and Jim.   Many prayers for DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region trying to keep the peace.   Cheers to everyone cruising, preparing to cruise soon and celebrating special occasions! Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today.  Hope you are getting a little better every day.

The port today is Tromso, Norway.  I absolutely love Norway!  This was our port only once before on Oct. 5, 2023 so I’ll post that link for you all to retrieve your photos. 

Hoping you all enjoy a wonderful day and safe travels to anyone on the road, in the air, or on a floating vessel!  Stay safe and keep well.

Happy 46th anniversary to Denise @CrabbyPatti and DH, as well as to Jodi @jodi58 and DH!  Hope it's a great day for all.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

We have visited Tromso three times over the years.  First was July 8, 2013 on a Crown Princess above the Arctic Circle cruise, round trip Southampton.  Our friends Susan and Scott were with us that cruise.  The second time in Tromso was during the 2016 Prinsendam Best. Norway. Cruise. Ever!!   Thirdly, we were physically docked in Tromso in July 2022 while we were under Covid quarantine on the Island Princess.  However being “locked up” we were unable to actually go off the ship to see it once again.

Our first time there it was rainy unfortunately but that didn’t stop us from walking around town.   Check out the Tromso Domkirke, circa 1861

And a closer look at an obelisk surrounded by beautiful summer flowers

Typical street scenes

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwCYaES_gcY8RupdKQgBo_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373851283

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1NV5zp8zZ6Rbl_JESmtyB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373851301

You could ride around on this tram but I noticed the windows were all fogged up!

Across the water was the Arctic Cathedral but we wouldn’t get to that side of town until next trip in 2016

For the Garden Club, this beautiful variegated-petal hydrangea

We stopped at the oldest watering hole in Tromso, the Olhallen brewpub.  We also saw a display about the Mack brewery.  We were too early for a tour.  Also a picture of an old time delivery truck

Inside the pub

DH enjoying his $14USD beer

That concludes the 2013 Tromso visit.  On to 2016!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

On our 2016 visit it was a cloudy morning but generally those skies turned sunny in the afternoon.  At least it wasn’t raining.

When we headed out for our adventure that day, we walked as straight as we could to the base of the Tromso Bridge.

As the bridge curved I was able to take this photo of the Arctic Cathedral and even where the cable car goes up the adjacent mountain.

At the end of the bridge we passed by the cathedral in order to get to the cable car before the crowds.  There was another ship in port with us.

But I couldn’t pass these beautiful flowers without a photo.  For our Garden Club!  

The base of the cable car and not a bus in sight!

10 minutes later this is where I was

Without using zoom you can see how high up we were

Shots of the Arctic Cathedral and the bridge, this time with the zoom!

The beautiful Elegant Explorer, Prinsendam

More from the 2016 visit coming up next!  I told you there were a lot of photos!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Well, look down there!  A long line of people waiting to go up the mountain via cable car, and the buses that brought them!

Leaving the cable car we headed back to see the Arctic Cathedral up close.  Whoops!  Still lined up!

It has an impressive exterior but we wanted to see a little of the interior.  Unfortunately since it was Sunday church services were about to commence, so we ducked back outside.  Being Sunday was going to haunt us again later.

Time to walk back

Looks like a fun way to travel

We decided to go find the Olhallen brewpub again and passed the Bibliotek (library) and the Tromso Domkirke on the way. 

And here we are in front of the brewery and pub we visited last trip.

Oh no!  Closed on Sunday!!  So I took a photo of DH in front of the pub door with our Holland America umbrella right next to him.  We take it with us if there’s a threat of rain and it always chases those raindrops away.  Guess we saved our $14USD this trip.

In fact as the Prinsendam sailed away that afternoon here is what the sky looked like.  We even chased the clouds away that day!

And under the bridge we went

That's quite enough!  I hope you enjoyed Tromso, Norway.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is partly sunny and 60°F here at 11.43am.

3 days that everyone on here will like.

I will pass on the food and drink but great history days.

Prayers 🙏 for all on the care list to get better.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day today.

Screenshot_20240826_113943.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, look down there!  A long line of people waiting to go up the mountain via cable car, and the buses that brought them!

Leaving the cable car we headed back to see the Arctic Cathedral up close.  Whoops!  Still lined up!

It has an impressive exterior but we wanted to see a little of the interior.  Unfortunately since it was Sunday church services were about to commence, so we ducked back outside.  Being Sunday was going to haunt us again later.

Time to walk back

Looks like a fun way to travel

We decided to go find the Olhallen brewpub again and passed the Bibliotek (library) and the Tromso Domkirke on the way. 

And here we are in front of the brewery and pub we visited last trip.

Oh no!  Closed on Sunday!!  So I took a photo of DH in front of the pub door with our Holland America umbrella right next to him.  We take it with us if there’s a threat of rain and it always chases those raindrops away.  Guess we saved our $14USD this trip.

In fact as the Prinsendam sailed away that afternoon here is what the sky looked like.  We even chased the clouds away that day!

And under the bridge we went

That's quite enough!  I hope you enjoyed Tromso, Norway.

Excellent collection of very informative photos of Tromsø Sandi.

Wishing you both a safe journey home today.

• Like 22

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, EVA, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Happy Anniversary Denise and Jodi.

I hope the Erasmus quote is not true

I have not been to Tromso.

Two great days in history..  I don’t think I ever rode in a mini but they were certainly cute.

Cauliflower steak?.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Orange-Ginger Pork, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam August 22, 2014.

First day of school here and PT this morning.  After a mild week this one shapes up to be hot again..

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Thanks fo our Monday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Eva, Ann & Dixie.

YAY on National Dog Day.  Yo know what Ivan and I will be celebrating 🙂 The Erasmus quote sounds depressing to me.

Had it with people who criticize and tell an organizer how to do things rather than offer to help.  (And no, I am not the organizer of this event).  

IMG_2729.jpeg.8649c86be6253810d6c0950591871e5a.jpeg

Yesterday as I started to do stuff I realized how very much there still is to do.  To say it is overwhelming is an understatement. I am going to try to buckle down even harder today and see if I can feel better tonight when I go to bed rather than have another headache.  Sorry, if I can’t keep up here.

IMG_2728.gif.df764d3390eb4a44d2c47b32249adee4.gif

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those  celebrating & cruising 🥂 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

Grilled cauliflower steaks with almond pesto and butter beans

Butter beans, limes beans - just depends what part of the country you live in. It is the same bean. The recipe link for almond pesto and instructions on cooking butter beans are at the end of the post.

Grilled Cauliflower Steaks - Well Plated by Erin
image.thumb.png.9d63717c09ba8ea349c71f0f1ad63b6d.png

Best Grilled Cauliflower Recipe - How to Make Grilled Cauliflower

image.thumb.png.545afae4081c4d43f752857d4f56f9fe.png

Almond Pesto - The Family Food Kitchen 

Best Butter Beans Recipe - How to Make Butter Beans (Lima beans in disguise)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich. A bit more humid today, hope we have a similar breeze to this weekends. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying the maneuver eventually eliminates all remnants of the vertigo/nausea. 

Early appointment at the dealership for my car’s first annual check up. If I remember correctly, my car will be washed, too. That will save me from doing it this week. While there, I am hoping to work with a TA to book my Egypt flights. I will need to be sure they are refundable, since we still need one more person to join the group for it to take place, but… Then a normal Monday’s chores. 

IMG_2411.jpeg.6c028cd2e5b4060c484c59571d849cc0.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg.23cf2ba76962fe7b1fea6b027db145ce.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg.7a76278139ed9eb3e56541c26909011b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying your feistiness factor is strong today. Terry, hoping you had a bit of a chance to relax a bit with your DB’s presence. Praying for Ann & Pat, Melisa, Annie & Chuck, Tony, @NextOne, Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Terri & Jim, and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Paix Sur Terre 2022 Old Oak Vineyard Zinfandel (Paso Robles Willow Creek District)

Though Zinfandel’s are not always my first choice, I do enjoy a good one. This one sounds lovely. A decent number of distributors, with prices starting at $45.00.

Winemaker’s notes

Ryan never intended to make Zinfandel. But when you're offered fruit from one of your favorite vineyards from certified organic 50-year-old vines, you can't say no!

Ryan used to work with this fruit at Linne Calodo when the vineyard was called Leona's Vineyard. Leona Mastan farmed these vines by hand well into her 70s until she retired and sold the vineyard to Dave and Cathy Colmar. To respect Leona's tradition and embrace the accomplishments of what the Colmar's have done, we decided to co-ferment some of the new plantings with the Zinfandel. This wine represents the entire history of this exceptional property!

This is old-school zin in a style that predates modern winemaking and vineyard techniques. It's bone dry and incredibly perfumed, elegant, and refreshing. Enjoy this wine BBQing on warm summer evenings and don't be surprised if you need to pop a second bottle as you work your way through some ribs!

The fruit was picked on September 5th and destemmed.  The fruit was fermented for 15 days on skins and then pressed into neutral French oak barrels.  This wine was bottled in January after 3 months to preserve its freshness and make old vine zinfandel that is elegant and ethereal, not the jammy style that is so prevalent in Paso. 

94 Wine Enthusiast

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 3

Today's sunrise is from a 2015 trip with a Blount cruise from Maine to New Brunswick.  After a few cruise i spent a couple days with my cousin south of Montreal and this was taken on their farm:

dawn0826.jpg

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily Rich! Let's all celebrate dogs, TP and female web designers.  Today's quote is one I use quite frequently "ignorance is bliss".  I will pass on cooked cauliflower, would give the drink a try and probably the wine too.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  Thank for all the lovely photos of Tromso Sandi!   

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa, I hope you had a better day and night yesterday.  Safe travels to Jacksonville today Terri and Jim.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Bonnie, Melissa, Ann and Pat, Sandi's DB and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   Thinking of you Jacqui as you work through your move.  

My DB was sent home from the hospital.  It took his DS and DSIL and all their strength to get him in the house and in his chair.  Details are light but I will find out more later today.  Last evening our neighbor stopped over to tell us she had a wolf on her front deck.  That meant it had to walk on the walkway the length of their house to get there.  She figured it was.looking for her dog.  Awhile later she had to take the dog out to pee and the dog would barely leave the front steps.  She had her pistol with her.  She is calling the DNR today and telling them if it is on her deck she will shoot it.  She is up here by herself because her husband is working downstate.  Probably the same wolf I saw on my driveway in broad daylight last summer.  

One more hot day here today.  We are supposed to get a big storm and cool us off. Our day started with 65 degrees outside and 71 degrees in.  Have a good Monday!  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Happy Monday!  Thanks for the Report.

We had a nice visit with mum yesterday.  It's going to be a hot week, today's high is forecast to be 30C but with the humidex it'll feel like 38C (100F).

Three good days to celebrate.  I always appreciate toilet paper and every day is Dog Day.

Interesting quote, both funny and sad.

I'll pass on the meal and the wine, but I'll try the drink.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List and a few more.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Anniversary wishes!❤️

Wishing all a wonderful day!

We celebrate dogs everyday in our house.

We are on baby watch as our 4th grand baby is due any day now.  We are all very excited.  We will be sticking close to home for the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for the Tromso pics, we are doing the Land of the Midnight Sun cruise next June on Princess, our bucket list cruise.

• Like 39

Good morning. My DB left today and Tana and I are feeling his absence. We decided to change things a bit and have a DVD festival with the”Godfather “ movies. Last week we watched all the episodes of “Spiral” a really good French Police  procedural. DB didn’t understand the appeal…..

As others have said, every day is dog day here. I will celebrate the other two days as well. The quote is odd. And no one likes Lima beans or cooked cauliflower here. We are having baked ziti tonight which is easy to put together. The heat and humidity return this week too, oh boy.

Happy Anniversary to  @jodi58  and @CrabbyPatti !

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 36