Oceania: Your World Included New Value Promise

Many people love the small ships. We prefer booking the small R Class Oceania ships because they're able to go to ports and go up rivers where larger ships cannot.  We suffer the small bathroom because we like the more interesting itineraries. We often use the lovely Spa showers. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Our first Oceania cruise is on the Vista, but I have no problem with R class ships, but their useful lives have to be ticking down

I have spent 28 nights on Vista. It is a quirky ship..not my favorite Oceania ship. Sound barriers between cabins is nearly non existent. If you have quiet neighbors who rarely play their tv, you should be good. In two cruises we were not so lucky.  Bring along white noise apps on your phones or earplugs, just in case. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, basor said:

The operative word here is "many years ago".....no insult to current O club members,  you still will receive the $250.00 OBC but on every cruise besides PPG.  Newbies will not receive the OBC...

Excuse me! I’m a current O Club member as I was when they first changed the “in lieu” $$$. AND, I’m not alone. Many Platinum and above O Club members have suffered these back steps on multiple occasions (e.g., the “in lieu,” the SBC, the spa credits- small but consistent bites over the years).

• Like 6

14 hours ago, edgee said:

Hard to get excited about a cruise line that operates with zero ships built in this century.

Not for me when they're maintained as well as these are. I love the Oceania R-Class ships and from what I've seen, I'm going to enjoy the Azamara Journey as well. And they are operating with only R-Class ships for now. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

That’s great to hear.  I hope the vision includes new ships.  The R class ships, whether on Azamara or Oceania, just cannot last that long.  Right now, Azamara, even before this Oceania passive price hike, had better pricing.  I have had to cancel two cruises with Azamara though and it’s frustrating.  One was pre-sale and one post-sale by RCL and both had significant changes in ports.  I got this wonky feel from them that I was never sure what to expect, but our SE cruise with them was outstanding.

The interesting thing about Azamara's 4 ships is that they have 3 of the newest ones. When Rennaisance cruises folded and the ships were sold to Oceania and Azamara, Azamara ended up with 3 of the newest ones. I'm not overly concerned about the age of a ship. So long as they are maintained, older ships have a charm about them that you just can't get from the modern vessels. It amuses me when people get fixated solely on the age of a ship and not the service and experience that's provided within.  Yes shiny new toys are fun, but I'm always down for classic.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The bathrooms, even in the lowest suite levels, are good sized on Azamara. 

I’ve never been on Azamara but from my understanding they are pretty much the same footprint. If you think the standard bathroom is good sized then you must be a small, trim person. I’m saying this from the Nautica. I can deal with it but it’s cramped. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

I’m saying this from the Nautica

Before our Nautica cruise last year, we'd read on CC about the size of the shower cubicle in the standard bathroom. Decided to book a penthouse. Proved to be a good decision, IMO. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Harters said:

Before our Nautica cruise last year, we'd read on CC about the size of the shower cubicle in the standard bathroom. Decided to book a penthouse. Proved to be a good decision, IMO. 

Everyone has different priorities.  We we'd rather struggle with the tiny shower and save the $$ for other things.  We go on the R Class ships because of the wonderful itineraries.  Veranda staterooms are lovely and very comfortable.  Oceania has  fabulous food, attentive crews and really nice passengers. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

The interesting thing about Azamara's 4 ships is that they have 3 of the newest ones. When Rennaisance cruises folded and the ships were sold to Oceania and Azamara, Azamara ended up with 3 of the newest ones. I'm not overly concerned about the age of a ship. So long as they are maintained, older ships have a charm about them that you just can't get from the modern vessels. It amuses me when people get fixated solely on the age of a ship and not the service and experience that's provided within.  Yes shiny new toys are fun, but I'm always down for classic.

We sailed Renaissance in the Med.  When they folded, Princess got 3 of the R ships.  We sailed on the Tahitian Princess (R) before Princess pulled out of Tahiti and it was renamed Ocean Princess.  They also had Royal Princess and Pacific Princess.  Some ships went into the charter business for a while.  Now A and O have all the R ships. 

We love the small ships.  Have done about 16 cruises on Star Clippers 3 sailing yachts.  We have also owned sailboats, so are used to small heads. 😎

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

1: I love R Class Ships.  2: For now. 

I did too! Sailed on Sirena and Nautica several times and have fond memories. Now, I just prefer the choice of restaurants on the larger ships but do miss the atmosphere of the ‘R’ class.

• Like 1

My spouse and I don't drink alcohol and we almost never do ship-sponsored shore excursions, so the new program appeals to us in theory, but our TA often provides gratuities and since prices aren't dropping with the reduction in benefits it's a bit of a lose-lose for all of us. Amazing that marketing teams think they can actually convince people that a program in which customers are losing value (getting less, spending the same) is a wonderful thing. Actually, I'm sure they know it's BS but they have to sell it anyway. Same old. Not a profession I would want to be in, but someone has to shovel the you know what. We recently booked our first Silversea cruise because they were having a sale that brought the fare close enough, for us, to Oceania's new higher fares. We're also going to try Explora Journeys as soon as we see an itinerary and dates that work for us. Everyone says the food on EJ is superior to Oceania and the luxury lines, and the ships are beautiful.

So, at least Oceania is getting us out there trying other things! No longer tied to Oceania, but we are booked on Marina and Allura, and we were impressed with Vista last winter.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I’ve never been on Azamara but from my understanding they are pretty much the same footprint. If you think the standard bathroom is good sized then you must be a small, trim person. I’m saying this from the Nautica. I can deal with it but it’s cramped. 

From our recent cruises on Azamara's Journey (Jan/Feb 2024) and Oceania’s Sirena (Aug 2024) I can confirm that they have the same footprint and much the same level of satisfaction (plusses and minuses for each).

On 9/6/2024 at 12:30 PM, edgee said:

Hard to get excited about a cruise line that operates with zero ships built in this century.

Well, most of the passengers weren't either, so...  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

And they are operating with only R-Class ships for now. 

And they may be operating with them well into the future. Owners have stated that newer ships will be part of Azamara only when current operations begin to show a profit.

On 9/5/2024 at 9:06 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you’re at any O Club level that already receives gratuities coverage, the best you can hope for is the “in lieu” $250/cabin SBC.

And, since they’re not reducing the fares as an adjustment for the eliminated Simply More perks, O regulars who could/would have continued enjoying the basic booze and tours SBC are getting screwed. 

Gut reaction to that press release: Time to start looking at other options for a “vacation home.” 

For us at the Platinum Level, already receiving the PPG, now with the new Your World pricing and Simply Getting Less!!   This is the last straw for us to say good bye to O and look at other better options for a "vacation home!!!  Fortunately, there are plenty!! 

On 9/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, edgee said:

What’s lacking? Well made ships have service lives of 40+ years. The R-class are midlife and new ships will run about $500 million. The customers foot that bill.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

What’s lacking? Well made ships have service lives of 40+ years. The R-class are midlife and new ships will run about $500 million. The customers foot that bill.

More like 30 years useful life for any kind of an upper premium or higher market ship. Crystal is trying for an exception to that rule and results are mixed. Oceania senior leadership has stated that R ships' complete renovation done between 3 and 5 years ago is the last. Perhaps Azamara will make theirs last longer...who knows? I find the ridulously small bathrooms below PH level and fewer specialty restaurants a deal breaker. Others disagree.

2 hours ago, edgee said:

I find the ridulously small bathrooms below PH level and fewer specialty restaurants a deal breaker. Others disagree.

Well, if I get too fat for the shower, I guess I can cut back on speciality meals.  🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, edgee said:

……fewer specialty restaurants a deal breaker. Others disagree.

I am one that disagrees. Am back from a 19-day itinerary on Sirena. I was so pleased with meals (food, service, wines) in the GDR that I only asked for extra specialty ressys when invited to have dinner with a friend. But then, I admit I am easy to please…..

Others may disagree with me. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, ORV said:

We had the entry level suite on the Quest and I can assure you the bathrooms were much larger than the ones in the standard verandah cabins.  You don’t have to believe me.  Pretty sure there are photos online though.  

I would book Azamara again in a minute if they had an itinerary I liked and the dates fit in well.  

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Excuse me! I’m a current O Club member as I was when they first changed the “in lieu” $$$. AND, I’m not alone. Many Platinum and above O Club members have suffered these back steps on multiple occasions (e.g., the “in lieu,” the SBC, the spa credits- small but consistent bites over the years).

Do you or would you cruise on other lines? Do you do land trips? Will you do more? TIA

On 9/7/2024 at 9:04 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

My spouse and I don't drink alcohol and we almost never do ship-sponsored shore excursions, so the new program appeals to us in theory,

Agree (though DH does drink occasionally, but usually not enough to justify the beverage package).

It will be interesting to see if theory meets practice.  But if prices stay the same, then probably a net loss.

• Like 3