The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 6th, 2024

Today is National Read a Book Day, National 401(k) Day, and National Food Bank Day

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams -- Henry David Thoreau

Meal Suggestion for today - Cajun Flank Steak
Drink of the Day - Snowball
Wine of the Day - 2021 Riesling, Kiedricher Trocken, Robert Weil, Rheingau
Destination of the Day - Nathon (Koh Samui), Thailand

Today in History:
1522 Ferdinand Magellan's Spanish expedition aboard the Vitoria returns to Spain without their captain. First to circumnavigate the earth.
1916 1st true supermarket, the "Piggly Wiggly" is opened by Clarence Saunders in Memphis, Tennessee

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Victoria, British Columbia   2000-2359  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 09-07  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
At Sea Destination Amsterdam, Holland   eta 09-07  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
Rhodes, Greece   0800-1700  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Reykjavik
Isafjord, Iceland   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
St Johns, Newfoundland   1200-2200  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Haines, Alaska   0600-1700  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   1000-1030  

Juneau, Alaska                                                                    1330-2200

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston

Bar Harbor, Maine   0700-1700  

image.thumb.png.dd57d6bdec6074e6c258de7842048d94.png

image.thumb.png.3672db2468cf6f847fbd0dff03794232.png

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, back in the hospital on IV abx

Atexsix having a carotid US today

Vict0riann’s DH Pat seeing cardiac surgeon today

Families of those killed and injured in GA school shooting

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Heartgrove’s DSIL recovering from ankle fracture surgery

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 55th Anniversary StLouisCruisers (Sandi & Dennis)!

StLouisCruisers’ twin starting PT today after shoulder replacement surgery

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Denise T submitted her dissertation to her committee for review

Cat shepard getting the all clear at her Dermatology visit

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

Superoma covering meal of the day for dfish

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Luvteaching (Eurodam Sept 7 to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  Today we celebrate 55 years of marriage!  Of course the weather isn’t going to cooperate and give us a beautiful day.  The temp now is 68F and the forecast is rain this afternoon and evening with a high temp of 75.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for all the work you did ahead of time to keep the Daily and Fleet Report going.  I applaud all the days of recognition today.  The quote is a good one, would try the flank steak, say no to the cocktail and am not sure I'd appreciate the wine so will leave that to those who would.  Interesting about Magellan's expedition but sad he didn't return with the ship.  Good old Piggly Wiggly supermarkets!  A big thanks to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports!

Prayers continue for the families of the Winder, GA families who lost their loved ones Wednesday.  I hope those recovering from injuries are doing better.  Also I send prayers to Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim, and Bruno having his ultrasound today.  Last but not least is my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine and the hostages who still remain held, and the troops overseas in harm’s way every day.  So many people suffering!  But to all celebrating special events today like I am, I send my best wishes, and to those cruising and preparing to cruise.  Have a wonderful day!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your mention of DH and I.  We all appreciate your hard work each day.

The port of the day is Nathon (Koh Samui), Thailand.  This was only reported on once before and I haven’t been there yet so no photos today.  Here is the link for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Hoping everyone has a great day!  I requested lunch out instead of dinner, but we also want to pick up groceries (4X Friday Fuel Points at Kroger).  DS has been happy to get $1.00 off each gallon of gas the last time he stopped at Kroger for gas.  He said he coasted into the gas station and put in 18.3 gallons, saving a whopping $18.03.  He likes a bargain as much as we do.  We use so little gas we let him fill up his cars on our dime (or dollar!)

Going back in the Time Machine, here are DH and I, aged 21 and 19 cutting the cake at our reception.  

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 46
  • Thanks 9

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

Another beautiful day here in SC. It's a nice 70 degrees right now with a forecasted high of 80 this afternoon and it's supposed to be muggy all day with high humidity. 

Happy Anniversary Sandi @StLouisCruisers!

I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend!

20211123_165730.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Ingredients:
3 1/2 oz. Lemonade
3/4 oz. Lime Juice
2 oz. Warninks Advocaat Liqueur

Directions:
Pour lemonade and lime juice into ice-filled glass and then the advocaat which will most sink through the other ingredients.  Lightly stir to integrate while remaining the lemonade’s carbonation.

I found another recipe with different ingredients.  This one sounds more like a snowball.  This recipe doesn’t give exact measurements.
This snowball recipe is made with ice cream and amaretto, which provides a slightly bitter, but sweet kick with the smoothness of ice cream and vanilla.
Ingredients:
Amaretto
Vanilla Ice Cream
Milk
Marshmallow (Toasted for the cutest garnish.)

Directions:
Mix all three ingredients together in your blender until smooth.
Pour into sugar rimmed glass to serve.

How to Rim a Cocktail Glass
Pour a small amount of simple syrup onto a small plate or saucer. (Maple syrup would work as well depending on what you were using on your rim.)
Next, pour a small amount of your rimming dust onto another small plate or saucer.
Dip your empty drink glass first into the maple syrup, then in your rimming sugar or crushed cookies.
Add the Snowball mixture and serve.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.21.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.21.05 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Today we celebrate 55 years of marriage!  Of course the weather isn’t going to cooperate and give us a beautiful day.  The temp now is 68F and the forecast is rain this afternoon and evening with a high temp of 75.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for all the work you did ahead of time to keep the Daily and Fleet Report going.  I applaud all the days of recognition today.  The quote is a good one, would try the flank steak, say no to the cocktail and am not sure I'd appreciate the wine so will leave that to those who would.  Interesting about Magellan's expedition but sad he didn't return with the ship.  Good old Piggly Wiggly supermarkets!  A big thanks to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports!

Prayers continue for the families of the Winder, GA families who lost their loved ones Wednesday.  I hope those recovering from injuries are doing better.  Also I send prayers to Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim, and Bruno having his ultrasound today.  Last but not least is my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine and the hostages who still remain held, and the troops overseas in harm’s way every day.  So many people suffering!  But to all celebrating special events today like I am, I send my best wishes, and to those cruising and preparing to cruise.  Have a wonderful day!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your mention of DH and I.  We all appreciate your hard work each day.

The port of the day is Nathon (Koh Samui), Thailand.  This was only reported on once before and I haven’t been there yet so no photos today.  Here is the link for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Hoping everyone has a great day!  I requested lunch out instead of dinner, but we also want to pick up groceries (4X Friday Fuel Points at Kroger).  DS has been happy to get $1.00 off each gallon of gas the last time he stopped at Kroger for gas.  He said he coasted into the gas station and put in 18.3 gallons, saving a whopping $18.03.  He likes a bargain as much as we do.  We use so little gas we let him fill up his cars on our dime (or dollar!)

Going back in the Time Machine, here are DH and I, aged 21 and 19 cutting the cake at our reception.  

What a beautiful photo Sandi.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a beautiful photo Sandi.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Pauline reads books all of the time and this is the one she is reading at the moment.

401k is not applicable in the UK.

It is sad so many people need food banks.

Today's food sounds nice.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell and for those needing operations.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a great day.

17256195370278051649935503502176.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!  Thank you for the reports!!

What a wonderful day!!  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY @StLouisCruisers

And the days to celebrate -- great ones, too!

And the food and beverages... wonderful!!  (I think I love the Amaretto and Ice Cream cocktail! @summer slope)

And to @JazzyV  THANK YOU for keeping up with the lists for prayers and concerns!!  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi.
Happy Anniversary to you & Dennis! Love your wedding picture!

We had so much rain over the past few days, that I suspect some of the road I take to my gym will be flooded. Especially after yesterday’s deluge.
I will be surprised if there is no water on the road. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. It is an endless journey. 

Gym, Bindi walks, lots of chores - most of them outside, but the weather hasn’t helped. I would also like to hop in my pool. We’ll see if Mother Nature cooperates. 

IMG_2054.jpeg.466a6c209b89e80b4dbf4142904519ac.jpeg

IMG_3359.jpeg.ac9634647a0621ab313ceb13461b4a90.jpeg

IMG_3357.jpeg.797bd8f2352c9456b9959be130839d74.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying Tana’s feistiness comes out strong today. And Terry has an uneventful day. Praying for Bonnie (and Joy. & the entire family), may the surgery successfully capture all the cancer. Praying for Melisa & DH, Annie & Chuck, Nancy’s DB, Pat & Ann, Tony, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all the caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2021 Riesling, Kiedricher Trocken, Robert Weil, Rheingau

This dry Riesling sounds lovely. I found a decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $21.99.

Winemaker notes

The Robert Weil line of estate wines begins with this medium-bodied dry Riesling that shows the typical density and power of the Rheingau region, but is much more affordable than their ultra-classy single-vineyard wines. 

THE ROBERT WEIL ESTATE Founded in 1875, Weingut Robert Weil is one of the finest producers in the Rheingau region. Wilhelm Weil, the greatgrandson of the estate’s founder, carries on the uncompromising, quality-oriented vineyard and cellar practices that have been the hallmark of this elite estate for four generations. The Rheingau is a small section of the Rhine River valley, near the city of Mainz. Notable for steep, south-facing slopes in a protected valley along a climate-moderating river, this legendary wine region has the ideal conditions for growing ripe, full-bodied Riesling.

THE 2021 VINTAGE We were thankfully spared the most extreme weather conditions seen in Europe in 2021, but excessive rain remained a concern throughout spring and summer. This necessitated an unusually intensive set of vineyard management measures in order to secure good air circulation in the vines with additional canopy thinning, cluster thinning and green harvest. Good September weather helped deliver outstanding physiological ripeness. Our tireless work in the vineyards, and the extraordinary adaptability of the Kiedricher Berg itself, ultimately delivered not just ripeness, but also excellent fruit that was ideally ripe and healthy.

90 Wine Enthusiast 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Happy Anniversary @StLouisCruisers.

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Jacqui Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the Thoreau quote...

I visited Koh Samui on Queen Victoria in 2010 and MS Zaandam in 2012.

A great day for Magellan’s crew.  I became aware of Piggly when DD DB was in Charleston with the Navy put not it’s place in history.

Probably on the steak..  My alternative is on hiatus until late September.

PT this morning followed by Wegmans..

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone, a rainy one again.  Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich and Sandi.   Three good days, I read my books on BHBs.   Feeding America is in the area frequently for drive through pick up.  A nice quote today.  I love flank steak so today's meal is a winner.  Pass on the snowballs but today's Riesling I would love.  Thanks for finding these for us each day ladies.  I look forward to photos of our port of the day. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   @atexsix I hope your ultrasound goes well today.  Prayers for all in our group who are facing personal trials or illnesses, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Ann, Bonnie, Pat, Sandi's DB, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for the families of the GA shooting victims.  So happy that they charged the killer's dad for giving him that assault weapon after he already had been investigated.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine and everyone else in war zones. 

A crisis day for my DB Nick.  He has been diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism.  They put him on a heparin drip and if it isn't dissolved today they want to go in through his leg to remove it. If not for this hospital acquired issue he would have been discharged to rehab to get him moving again.  Then they were planning on doing more surgery on Tuesday.  I am afraid the procedure today may loosen a clot and cause a stroke.  I don't know why the rush instead of letting the heparin do the work.  Prayers needed, thanks in advance for them everyone. 

The Raven game was exciting and it is a game of inches and we missed our final TD by being 1/2" out of bounds. I am sure the Ravens got a lot out of that game.  Raiders ten days from now.  

A wet day here again.  The clouds break enough to allow a little solar on our batteries so our generator hasn't run yet.  It is 45 and high in the 50s with wind.  I had work to do for Garden Club but my phone won't open an important document so I am dead in the water.  I may ask her to copy and paste the contents into two emails.  Have a great Friday! Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 9

hank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

The visit to the ortho yesterday went well. Staples removed from the incision, she now has a boot, and the x-ray showed the bones mending evenly.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31

Flank steak is OK but I'm not sure about the Cajun part. No on the cocktail. (For anyone wondering, Advocaat is a Dutch egg liqueur, sort of eggnog without milk or cream. The name refers to its reputation for lubricating the throat, valuable for a lawyer.) For a full-bodied dry Riesling, Boundary Breaks Riesling Dry #239 (the number refers to the Riesling clone), $22.95. "Every year, we aim to make a fruit-driven, dry Riesling that has an explosive flavor profile. The result in this dry Riesling is a combination of exceptional fruit flavor with crisp, bracing acidity, which supplies this wine with verve and liveliness."

This waking up at 5:00 a.m. is getting to me.

farmerstelemarket.jpg.8ca998c280bbe420cfd0574faea470b9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 14

Happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Working on class stuff today. Grading assignments. I am now teaching five classes. Keeping me busy. 33 days to go until that cruise! Going shopping tomorrow for wedding shoes and cruise stuff with my sister so this should be fun. 

Happy anniversary @StLouisCruisers!

happy anniversary cats - Google Search Work Anniversary Quotes, Happy ...

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Friday Memes For Work, Happy Friday Meme, Friday Cat, Funny Friday ...

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone, a rainy one again.  Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich and Sandi.   Three good days, I read my books on BHBs.   Feeding America is in the area frequently for drive through pick up.  A nice quote today.  I love flank steak so today's meal is a winner.  Pass on the snowballs but today's Riesling I would love.  Thanks for finding these for us each day ladies.  I look forward to photos of our port of the day. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   @atexsix I hope your ultrasound goes well today.  Prayers for all in our group who are facing personal trials or illnesses, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Ann, Bonnie, Pat, Sandi's DB, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for the families of the GA shooting victims.  So happy that they charged the killer's dad for giving him that assault weapon after he already had been investigated.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine and everyone else in war zones. 

A crisis day for my DB Nick.  He has been diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism.  They put him on a heparin drip and if it isn't dissolved today they want to go in through his leg to remove it. If not for this hospital acquired issue he would have been discharged to rehab to get him moving again.  Then they were planning on doing more surgery on Tuesday.  I am afraid the procedure today may loosen a clot and cause a stroke.  I don't know why the rush instead of letting the heparin do the work.  Prayers needed, thanks in advance for them everyone. 

The Raven game was exciting and it is a game of inches and we missed our final TD by being 1/2" out of bounds. I am sure the Ravens got a lot out of that game.  Raiders ten days from now.  

A wet day here again.  The clouds break enough to allow a little solar on our batteries so our generator hasn't run yet.  It is 45 and high in the 50s with wind.  I had work to do for Garden Club but my phone won't open an important document so I am dead in the water.  I may ask her to copy and paste the contents into two emails.  Have a great Friday! Nancy 

Sending prayers for your brother Nancy.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1