Begging for 10's on the Anthem of the Seas

We don’t let it bother us, but think about it, it must affect their salary in some way or they wouldn’t be doing it. And I’m sure they are just as uncomfortable asking it as we are hearing it.

Lately we find we’re eating less and less in MDR because the same limited menus, so we dont hear it much.

Any criticism should be aimed at Royal for making them do this, not them.

• Like 1

This is not exclusive to Anthem.  We had this experience last month on Symphony, and last year on Liberty.  It was a huge turn-off because besides being annoying, service wasn't so great or 10-worthy.  I did not rate them as 10s and included in my comments why. 

• Like 4

Our MDR waiters were also very insistent about this on our Explorer of the Seas sailings. I asked them why. They explained that, if all the customers at their assigned table gave them a 10, they would be allowed to have one day off the ship in port. 

I was very shocked by this because my partner and I were assigned a shared table of 8, but only one other couple regularly showed up. Royal is pushing specialty dining very hard and some people just prefer the buffet, so how are MDR waiters supposed to get a 10/10 from people they never even got the chance to meet? Also I'm French so, in my mind, time off is a right, not a reward like a performance bonus.

Needless to say I gave them that 10, both because I think everyone deserves a day off but also because they genuinely did an amazing job.

Edited by MyriamS
  • Like 3

We did Anthem TA this past Spring, and we were  constantly bombarded in both the MDR and Windjammer with loudspeaker announcements during our dining reminding us how great the food & service was, and requesting high marks on the survey.  It seems they were in competition with other ships in the fleet.  It was really annoying.

• Like 3

I am currently on my 14th RCI cruise this year on Wonder. Without exception we have been asked to provide 10s on surveys on every cruise multiple times in both the MDR and in speciality restaurants. It really doesn’t bother me since I am so used to it (sort of like the frequent CD announcements I never listen to), but I have never experienced anything like the OP posted. I actually thought some of the 10 references were clever, but I can see it getting old day after day. Personally I think this is a leadership problem caused by RCI, so I try not to get upset with a waiter who asks me every night in the MDR about the survey. The wait staff are just trying to survive based on the pressure they are receiving from upper management on the ship, which likely goes all the way up to corporate headquarters. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am currently on my 14th RCI cruise this year on Wonder. Without exception we have been asked to provide 10s on surveys on every cruise multiple times in both the MDR and in speciality restaurants. It really doesn’t bother me since I am so used to it (sort of like the frequent CD announcements I never listen to), but I have never experienced anything like the OP posted. I actually thought some of the 10 references were clever, but I can see it getting old day after day. Personally I think this is a leadership problem caused by RCI, so I try not to get upset with a waiter who asks me every night in the MDR about the survey. The wait staff are just trying to survive based on the pressure they are receiving from upper management on the ship, which likely goes all the way up to corporate headquarters. 

I can ignore the announcements from the CD, those are over the PA system. I can't ignore someone standing in front of me, expecting me to listen to them, while I am trying to enjoy my meal.

• Like 2

We just got off of Anthem also. We were asked for a 10 in the specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen. Have been asked on other ships, so I didn't think much about it until I did the survey today, and saw the question about crewmembers asking for a score.

What bothered me was constantly being asked if I wanted a dining package. At our muster check in we asked where we could go to make reservations. The lady that checked us in said she could do it for us. She then tried to sell us a package. When she found out we already had one, she told us where to go to just make reservations. At the Key lunch, we were asked. In Costal Kitchen, we were asked, as well as every day just walking around the ship for the first four days.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:31 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Haven't been on Anthem for a while but distinctly remember hw or rm getting on the mike EVERY night as we tried to enjoy our meal singing off key and begging for 10's for his hard working staff.  Very annoying.  Stopped by our table one night to solicit 10's and I told him he was currently down to a 9 and every night he kept it up we would take away another point.  Didn't help.  Wrote him up in the survey.

I will do this too, but I will usually write the entire experience up as a 1 and make sure to name drop those that are soliciting a 10. It is very irritating for me to literally be propositioned to give a high score. If you want a high score, EARN IT!! 

I guess I have been fortunate. Generally I haven't been harassed.  I'll get usual comment on the last day about the importance of the survey and even that the best score is "10 and I hope I have given you 10 service". 

When, on the odd occasion our waiter has hinted about that I usually just cut them off with a "I know 10 on the survey's is very important to you" and that seems to end any further discussion on the matter.  I do hate that the survey results seem to be near life of death for servers but it is what it is.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:33 AM, stinsowm said:

Just returned from the Anthem of the Seas and overall had a nice time. However, I have never been on a ship where staff kept asking if we were going to rate them a 10.  We dined in chops on night 1 and our waiter who did a nice job asked not once but 4 times to make sure to rate him a 10.  It really felt uncomfortable.  One afternoon early in the sailing, we also had the person at the ice cream soft serve station say perfect 10 as he gave us our ice cream.   I know many depend on the survey results to get bonus money but they really need to not be so pushy about the ratings.  The other sour point was the pushing of the specialty restaurants.  I understand it day one but they kept pushing it during our time in the windjammer and even coming out of the Diamond crown lounge.  

The good about the sailing was our stateroom attendant was always smiling and kept us clean.  We were in a standard balcony cabin and there was plenty of storage and the bed was very comfortable.   We also thought the cruise director was outstanding and the entertainment was great!   The ship was large but easy to navigate.  

Sorry to vent a bit regarding the pushing of 10's and restaurant sales.  A cruise vacation is still an amazing vacation overall.  You unpack once and get to travel to some pretty amazing ports of call.  

I hope you gave them all 10's. Help the crew out. No skin off your nose to help those who helped you. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I hope you gave them all 10's. Help the crew out. No skin off your nose to help those who helped you. 

I give 10's to those who have earned it. I also put my hand up like a stop sign if they even bring it up, I interrupt them and say "yes, we know, if you mention it again it will not be a 10." It never takes 3 times for them to catch on. 

• Like 1

I was asked this summer to give a 10 multiple times. My relatives and I decided to dine in the specialty restaurants several times then we got a phone call from our waitress in the Main Dining room asking why we were not there dining.....to be quite honest we chose the specialty restaurants to get away from this persons constant nagging about giving a 10............

• Like 1

Wow, it's been 9-10yrs since they gave me the, "I need a 10 talk". 3-4 Decades ago if they got a poor ratings they were sent to work in WindJammer and no Tips. This back when most meals were ate in Main Dining, sitting at same table for all 3meals served by same waiter. Now they rotate around anyway 

On 9/11/2024 at 10:03 AM, little britain said:

We also commented on the ridiculous amount of times we were asked for a 10 whilst on Anthem in June and we complained it was ruining our holiday experience. 

The “10” song in the WJ was the final straw.  

Good grief! I think I’d record the theme tune to the one show and play that as a counterpoint. 

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2024 at 8:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

In the last month or so I have been to two officer luncheons where the Captain said RCI has hired around 20,000 people necessitated by how many workers never returned after COVID. Based on that alone I would give 10s on the survey (I always have anyways) every time. It wasn’t that long ago many ships were short staffed, which definitely impacted bar service and service in the MDR. I don’t want to contribute to RCI cutting staff. A slow bartender is better than no bartender at all.🙂

On 9/11/2024 at 3:19 PM, Hutcha said:

We just got off of Anthem also. We were asked for a 10 in the specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen. Have been asked on other ships, so I didn't think much about it until I did the survey today, and saw the question about crewmembers asking for a score.

I've always been curious about this in wondering whether they WANT crew members to ask or not. They always ask, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble either. I never know what to mark. 

That said, we've dined in CK all but 1 night and for that one night we didn't show up the front of house manager asked "why." I was like, we've been here every night, sometimes you just want room service. The front of house manager has stopped by every single night asking about our service/food. Once he had a clipboard and asked us to rate our service then took notes. 

Our waiter, who is fabulous, makes us laugh every single night, remembers gluten free options etc, said he got high marks from a table last cruise but in their comment section mentioned they weren't fans of the food every night. He said he was scolded because, "well did you notice they weren't eating their food, etc" and basically, was reprimanded.

I was horrified. If you don't like the food, put that on the chef OR the fact that RCI might be cutting provision quality, NOT the server (comment is for upper management, not for those who gave honest feedback). Anyway, don't know how much is true but either way, they obviously depend on high marks for something. As much as I love RCI I'm miffed as this stinks of c-suite nonsense and pressure. 

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 3

Royal Caribbean are stuck in the past as far as I am concerned. We sailed Anthem from Southampton last year and were not impressed. Staff begging for good reviews, extortionate ‘gratuities’, canned music in the dining room for the staff parade…no thanks. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I've always been curious about this in wondering whether they WANT crew members to ask or not. They always ask, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble either. I never know what to mark. 

That said, we've dined in CK all but 1 night and for that one night we didn't show up the front of house manager asked "why." I was like, we've been here every night, sometimes you just want room service. The front of house manager has stopped by every single night asking about our service/food. Once he had a clipboard and asked us to rate our service then took notes. 

Our waiter, who is fabulous, makes us laugh every single night, remembers gluten free options etc, said he got high marks from a table last cruise but in their comment section mentioned they weren't fans of the food every night. He said he was scolded because, "well did you notice they weren't eating their food, etc" and basically, was reprimanded.

I was horrified. If you don't like the food, put that on the chef OR the fact that RCI might be cutting provision quality, NOT the server (comment is for upper management, not for those who gave honest feedback). Anyway, don't know how much is true but either way, they obviously depend on high marks for something. As much as I love RCI I'm miffed as this stinks of c-suite nonsense and pressure. 

Yes that was another thing our waiter explained to us: they are held responsible for the quality of the food despite not cooking it, because RCI expects them to keep replacing dishes until the customer is satisfied (even if said customer didn't request it... I guess they need to be mind readers?).  

Many people in this thread seem very annoyed by the 10 thing. Maybe you should direct this annoyance at RCI and not at the underpaid workers being ridiculously pressured by their management. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

In the last month or so I have been to two officer luncheons where the Captain said RCI has hired around 20,000 people necessitated by how many workers never returned after COVID. Based on that alone I would give 10s on the survey (I always have anyways) every time. It wasn’t that long ago many ships were short staffed, which definitely impacted bar service and service in the MDR. I don’t want to contribute to RCI cutting staff. A slow bartender is better than no bartender at all.🙂

Kind of makes the entire survey thing pointless. How does management improve anything if the feedback is that everything is great... even if it isn't?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Kind of makes the entire survey thing pointless. How does management improve anything if the feedback is that everything is great... even if it isn't?

Agree with you 100%. I think the survey is worthless if anything less than a 10 is considered a big negative for the staff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

They essentially suffer from Goodheart's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart's_law

As soon as the metric becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure. People will game the system to get the desired result. So customer feedback becomes meaningless. Other fun examples include people left on trolleys in hospital corridors so they don't contribute to long wait times once admitted, and shop sales staff avoiding serving customers who they know won't want an upsell because they have a target percentage they need to maintain.

• Like 1

DUE  you know  crew members can rate passengers too?

Yes they can if you are rude  and constantly complaining unhappy etc 

This gos  in your  record's /profile next time you cruise with then they know what they are dealing with it and what kind passenger you are  

Be happy 

Bon Voyage 

• Haha 3

Buddy of mine who is an avid cruiser (he has been on like 3 cruises in his lifetime) said he was asked so many times about receiving 10’s from the crew that on this last cruise ( his 3rd) he actually prints out business card size papers with the words “here is your 10” printed on them and hands them out as soon as he is prompted. He said when he hands them out to deserving crew members the reaction is usually them just staring at him in disbelief that they have just been recognized on the spot and don’t have to wait for any silly survey results. He did say on some rare occasions when he is asked for 10’s he likes to offer a “hug” to any crew member who may be having what appears to be a tough day.