New Princess Money Grabber Water Package Now $24.00

hpeabody

On 9/17/2024 at 3:27 PM, tothemall&beyond said:

It means no BOTTLES. Of any type. Period. If you can find water boxes or water cans, that's OK. At least for now. The only bottles that are allowed at embarkation are one 750 ml bottle of wine pp.

Don’t you find it interesting that you can’t bring it on in plastic bottles, but that is how they sell it. 

1 hour ago, Seacruise said:

To me it is a 300% increase that isn't needed or wanted.

Just a point of clarification.  Percent increase is the difference divided by the original amount then multiplied by 100. In this case [($24-$7)/7]*100=243%.  Please pardon my slight rounding error.  

I am a retired math professor and poor math is one of my pet peeves. No offense intended. This is why I’m not too popular at parties lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

All in how one takes it. I consider myself to be a penny pincher. Its why I was able to retire at age 55, spend 1/3 to 1/2 of the year traveling the world on cruises and staying in very nice properties as i do so. Currently in the Intercontinental next to Parklane in London as I type this. I take advantage of any opportunity to get the best value in what i purchase.  Quite willing to save over $1000 per 14 day cruise on Princess from various OBC (usually around $700) and Elite benefits (around $450). Our out of pocket on board spend, never anywhere close to what a package would add to the cost of our cruises. Certainly not in the targeted marketing audience of any cruise line these days.

Do find the angst over relatively minor changes in pricing, such as this change in the water package  to be rather comical though.

It is also in how the poster MEANT it.

I too practice much of what you do.  I have flown Air Canada lie flat suites to Europe 1-2 times a year for the last decade using only my aeroplan miles.  It’s called Smart, not belittling those who are of a different mind. Glad to have a choice and I do understand the discussion over the water increase from under $10 to $32 CAD.

I recall a similar discussion on here several years ago over this topic.  Price went back down, I recall.

6 minutes ago, dog said:

It is also in how the poster MEANT it.

I too practice much of what you do.  I have flown Air Canada lie flat suites to Europe 1-2 times a year for the last decade using only my aeroplan miles.  It’s called Smart, not belittling those who are of a different mind. Glad to have a choice and I do understand the discussion over the water increase from under $10 to $32 CAD.

I recall a similar discussion on here several years ago over this topic.  Price went back down, I recall.

Doubt it does this time. 

Lots of angst little impact on actual.cost of cruise, work arounds exist.

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Doubt it does this time. 

Lots of angst little impact on actual.cost of cruise, work arounds exist.

So true. Refill, less impact on environment too.

The water on the ship is perfectly good.  Also totally free.  Finally if you don't want to bring a refillable bottle w you can buy one bottle of water on board and refill it.  I find it difficult to sympathize with the people who complain about the cost of water on board the ship.

DON

12 hours ago, dog said:

If Princess doesn’t want us standard fare penny pinchers, like the Mouse suggests, then they will go to all inclusive only. Meaning no standard. No Plus.

But how else would they bate the hook?

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

IMO, Princess sees VV as direct competition.

Passenger that sail VV are a totally different crowd from those on Princess. 

10 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Consider this: if you are a standard fare guest, what is better now than pre pandemic?

Plus or Premier bundles are the future. Pre bundle, we'd get the drink package, and it was more than our fare. The bundle options are much better today. IMO they should just raise fares to Plus for all, and be done with it. You can have the option to go with Premier for extra money. 

We're standard fare guests, and pre-pandemic was much better.  Internet was free even if it was limited to minutes, we could trade our unused minibar for a coffee package, Alfredos was free... I'm sure there's more but that's what immediately comes to mind.   

I have no interest in subsidizing anyone's alcohol consumption by having to pay for a package that I will not use.  Of the plus package, the only things we would get benefit from are the tips and internet.  Paying for those ourselves costs about half the package price.  If Princess would offer a decently-priced package that included those things and maybe a non-alcohol option, we'd take a look at it.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

We're standard fare guests, and pre-pandemic was much better.  Internet was free even if it was limited to minutes, we could trade our unused minibar for a coffee package, Alfredos was free... I'm sure there's more but that's what immediately comes to mind.   

I have no interest in subsidizing anyone's alcohol consumption by having to pay for a package that I will not use.  Of the plus package, the only things we would get benefit from are the tips and internet.  Paying for those ourselves costs about half the package price.  If Princess would offer a decently-priced package that included those things and maybe a non-alcohol option, we'd take a look at it.  

I'll add to your list:

Happy Hour BOGO

Room Service

Should have phrased my question better, IMO nothing is better now with standard fare. 

Internet was free and you had a minibar on a standard fare, or is that having Elite status?

Edited by startedwithamouse

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

I completely agree!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Passenger that sail VV are a totally different crowd from those on Princess. 

On the 3 VV cruises I've been on, there have been many ex Princess passengers.  VV is more like Princess than people make it out to be.  It's adult only which is a criteria that many Princess passengers desire among other things.  Princess wishes it had VV age demographics.  Lots of neigh sayers, but VV unexpectedly interrupted the cruise market for being a newbie.  They're also bagging lots of awards from travel publications.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I'll add to your list:

Happy Hour BOGO

Room Service

Should have phrased my question better, IMO nothing is better now with standard fare. 

Internet was free and you had a minibar on a standard fare, or is that having Elite status?

Yes, the minibar trade was for elite and the free internet was platinum and above. However, as I would currently waste half the price of the plus package since the only things of value to me add up to about $30/day, the standard fare even now is still better.  

I can see that the package works out to be a good deal for you and many others, and conversely hopefully you can see that for many of us it works out to be a waste of money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I'll add to your list:

Happy Hour BOGO

Room Service

Plus package really doesn't make sense if you don't drink alcohol, coffee or soda. One is spending quite a bit of money per day for a few extra things.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Plus package really doesn't make sense if you don't drink alcohol, coffee or soda. One is spending quite a bit of money per day for a few extra things.

Our kids drink none of those, but still get Plus. We like the all inclusive feel.

What makes sense for some doesn't for others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Our kids drink none of those, but still get Plus. We like the all inclusive feel.

What makes sense for some doesn't for others. 

At $40 I paid for Plus for the inclusive feel. $60 per day seems pretty high for that.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2024 at 4:13 PM, dog said:

Was under $10 CAD for me.

Just cancelled my order, and will buy plus on the ship.

$32.40. CAD now!!

At least there is no HST.  🙃

Man what a rip - $2 per bottle.  Piracy I say, just plain piracy.  

I won't be bothering to order anything - just fill our own bottles from now on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The water on the ship is perfectly good.  Also totally free.  Finally if you don't want to bring a refillable bottle w you can buy one bottle of water on board and refill it.  I find it difficult to sympathize with the people who complain about the cost of water on board the ship.

DON

Concur pay thousand for a cruise and complain about $2 drink. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Things change all the time. It used to be you got free refills of soda at a restaurant now many charge you by the glass and usually more than $2

Edited by memoak

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

Concur pay thousand for a cruise and complain about $2 drink. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Things change all the time. It used to be you got free refills of soda at a restaurant now many charge you by the glass and usually more than $2

Memoak, I do agree in part however, what "gets my goat", "burns my butt", "pokes the bear", "steams my corn" is you wake up one morning ready to finish preparing for your cruise and BAM, the price of water goes up 300%, the wifi increases, gratuities increase, specialty dinning increases and suddenly you budget has jumped into the Inflation Hot Air Ballon and taken off.  Maybe someone should call Elon and ask for an "inflation rescue".  🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

Prices at my home grocery store was much better as well pre covid. They stopped carrying a couple of my favorite products 

With time things change, prices overall go up, somethings faster than others.

6 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Memoak, I do agree in part however, what "gets my goat", "burns my butt", "pokes the bear", "steams my corn" is you wake up one morning ready to finish preparing for your cruise and BAM, the price of water goes up 300%, the wifi increases, gratuities increase, specialty dinning increases and suddenly you budget has jumped into the Inflation Hot Air Ballon and taken off.  Maybe someone should call Elon and ask for an "inflation rescue".  🤣

I agree, but it does not change my budget. I just have to adjust my spending where I can.  There are only so many vacation dollars to spend, especially when a last minute deal comes up and you impulsively book it. 😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whitecap said:

The same things happen with pretty much everything. Overnight one of my favorite restaurants added a mandatory 20% tip and $2.50 credit card fee. It is my choice to pay or go somewhere else. 

• Like 1

The person who posted no plastic water bottles is inncorrect

Every cruise we hand over our water, plastic bottles and packaged seltzer in cans to the luggage porter, with a cabin tag on each
They happily take it and it always arrives at our cabin. 😊

Some people will say this is not allowed, but they are also incorrect. Nowhere will you find in writing that you are not allowed to hand it over to the porters

Edited by janetz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

The same things happen with pretty much everything. Overnight one of my favorite restaurants added a mandatory 20% tip and $2.50 credit card fee. It is my choice to pay or go somewhere else. 

Your'e right and when that restaurant added that mandatory 20% and $2.50 credit card fee, you made the choice not to blow up your budget, but go elsewhere.  But wasn't it upsetting to learn what your favorite restaurant had done, no notice, no warning that it was coming?  I know when my favorite restaurant stopped serving spaghetti with cut up hot dogs, I was furious, and starting eating elsewhere.   

40 minutes ago, whitecap said:

The items you listed, except maybe for gratuities, are optional purchase. One can cruise without buying them. Some even choose to change the gratuity. Would you rather have the increase go on the base fare.

• Like 1