New prohibited item for cruises?

AndreaCamille

I'm trying to determine if multi outlet charging devices are now prohibited in cruises. I just saw a change or rather the addition of this rather essential cruise item on RCL website. We have an upcoming Celebrity cruise so I'm wondering if this may impact us as well.  Any confirmation or clarification is appreciated. I didn't see this new info on the Celebrity site.

3 hours ago, AndreaCamille said:

I'm trying to determine if multi outlet charging devices are now prohibited in cruises. I just saw a change or rather the addition of this rather essential cruise item on RCL website. We have an upcoming Celebrity cruise so I'm wondering if this may impact us as well.  Any confirmation or clarification is appreciated. I didn't see this new info on the Celebrity site.

Avoid the kind which has a cord. Avoid anything which has surge protection.  

Probably will inevitably spill over to Celebrity, but terminology is probably everything here. They appear to be banning anything that adds actual outlets. That wouldn’t appear to apply to a pure USB charging station without AC outlets. 

Haven’t heard anything from Celebrity but also haven’t looked for awhile. I suspect it’s the same corporate safety office though. 

• Like 1

Agree with @markeb. There have been other discussions about this and I believe the issue is related to non-corded direct plug in components that would have multiple electric outlets ganged around them thus expanding electrical outlet capability. Or those with combination USB and electrical outlets ganged together. 

But non-corded direct plug in chargers that are USB ganged outlets only should be fine. We use these all the time, most recently in June, and have not had any issues or have heard about any changes to their use on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, markeb said:

Probably will inevitably spill over to Celebrity, but terminology is probably everything here. They appear to be banning anything that adds actual outlets. That wouldn’t appear to apply to a pure USB charging station without AC outlets. 

Haven’t heard anything from Celebrity but also haven’t looked for awhile. I suspect it’s the same corporate safety office though. 

This would be a real problem for older ships on both Celebrity and RCCL without enough outlets.  We always take the single plug-in adapters (expands 1 to 3 outlets).  Not clear why those would be a safety concern.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This would be a real problem for older ships on both Celebrity and RCCL without enough outlets.  We always take the single plug-in adapters (expands 1 to 3 outlets).  Not clear why those would be a safety concern.  

Are you referring to USB charging devices or those that provide additional electrical outlets?

Perhaps @chengkp75 will see this thread and be able to help clarify this topic.

4 minutes ago, AndreaCamille said:

Thanks to all. CruiseHive on YouTube states that the item is " a multi plug outlet device that expands the outlets capacity to accommodate several plugs at once." Luckily we'll be on the Celebrity Ascent, but I wonder about cruising on older ships and on other cruise lines.  

That has not been an issue with us over 32 years of cruising.  We have rarely needed to use more electrical outlets than provided.  Multi port USB charging devices for more convenience, which are permitted, yes.  But not electrical outlets.  Just our experience.

When I read that line I thought they were finally clarifying the multiplug bars.  At this time I will bring my small multi- USB plug in.  But I also unplug it when we are not in the cabin (our last cruise we were reminded that staff would disconnect any unattended to items plugged into the power as a safety precaution.  I also carry a universal adapter which gives us one more plug.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Are you referring to USB charging devices or those that provide additional electrical outlets?

They should give Chengkp75 a sticky for this topic since it comes up so much. He explains it well. Thankfully the cruise lines seem to be updating to charging stations with USB outlets. 

• Like 1

I've been traveling with something like this for years. It's way more convenient and easier to pack than a bulky plug in adapter or something with a huge extension cord.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/next-magnetic-3-in-1-7-5w-wireless-charging-pad-for-apple-watch-and-iphone-black/6511218.p?skuId=6511218

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I have a three in one charger that charges my iPhone, AirPods and Apple watch. I use the euro outlet for anything else. My devices and chargers have fast charging now so it is easier to work around a lack of outlets than it was years ago. 

The safety concern as I understand is because the wiring on cruise ships is different than on land. House wiring is asymmetric. Ship wiring is symmetric. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have frequently used the one that plugs into one electrical outlet and expands it to 3 electrical outlets.  For many years.  But it seems this is no longer allowed on RCCL.  We honestly at this point just need to expand USB ports so something like post#16 from @JamieLogical would suffice.  Or something similar.  

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Avoid the kind which has a cord. Avoid anything which has surge protection.  

I think the concern is that it is being reported that Royal Caribbean is now adding cordless multi-plug outlets to the prohibited items list: link

Doesn't affect Celebrity today, but it could be coming.

• Thanks 1

After watching a video titled, "Royal Caribbean Just BANNED This On Their Ships" by the MidShips YouTube channel I decided to see if any changes had happened to HAL and sure enough, almost at the bottom of the prohibited items list

Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords with surge protectors.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/faq/cruise-planning/packaging-and-luggage/prohibited-items

So it looks like the trickle-down effect is happening.

Google says a "multiplug outlet" is AKA power strip so I'm not going to worry about this unless RCL puts out a clarification with photos of what they are talking about, which they will probably never do, or we get some real world reports of passengers getting their item discarded/confiscated.  I know people are saying "multi USB" are still OK but USB is still a plug/outlet so presumably nothing would be OK.  I'm hoping this is just clarification of the rules we all know (no extension cords, no surge protection)

34 minutes ago, Anonymous234 said:

I know people are saying "multi USB" are still OK but USB is still a plug/outlet so presumably nothing would be OK. 

USB is a port on a charger. It is not a plug outlet. A plug outlet uses AC directly from the mains. A USB  charger converts AC from the mains into the DC your devices use. There is no reson USB would not be okay. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

USB is a port on a charger. It is not a plug outlet. A plug outlet uses AC directly from the mains. A USB  charger converts AC from the mains into the DC your devices use. There is no reson USB would not be okay. 

it doesn't matter what either of us thinks is OK.  It matters what the security guard thinks, and without clear instruction or photos from RCL either one of us could have materials confiscated.  Again I'm hoping this is just a website thing that is not going to affect the real world.

• Like 1