Help me - I am so mad - Carribbean Princess

newcruiserny

I’m on the Caribbean right now and did not book speciality restaurants before hand but we had no problem booking them once we got on board. We have Premier as well. 

crown grill tonight at 8:40 but DH is going to see if we can’t get earlier. Captain came on today to announce gastrointestinal infection at a level 3. 

sabatinis later in the week. 

so far the food in MDR, buffet, Vines and Steamers has been very good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Did I just get ripped off from Princess?

You did ask everyone about your decision in another thread.  I believe you are past cancelling the cruise without penalty, but as Spudd mentioned, if you choose to cancel Premier, I believe you can. You can still have a great cruise!

Crown Grill serves the best steaks we've ever eaten. You wouldn't have to twist my arm for a couple steak dinners on a 4 nighter. Never eaten at Sabatini's.

Thanksgiving dinner on Princess is, or was on our cruise, horrible. Salty turkey, everything cooked to mush. We couldn't eat it and left for a burger on deck. Princess chefs have no idea what a Thanksgiving meal is supposed to taste like. Good night for a specialty dinner.

As you know, the Caribbean has the highest passenger density of any Princess ship. Don't catch any bugs. You can get away from the crowds during the day at Skywalkers. Try to pick off hours to avoid lines at the International Cafe (IC). Remember to wash your hands regularly, knuckles on elevator buttons and back of the hand on handrails. Wear a mask in the theater.

Although there's only two choices I would not have a problem doing two meals at each.  It would not be that difficult to order different things each time.  It's not as ideal as a more modern ship with more specialty options, but for me both CG and Sabbatini's are solid restaurants with large enough menus to mix & match multiple meals without feeling too repetitive.

As others have said there will be more reservation inventory once you board.  Either call the dining line or go to the restaurant itself soon after boarding.  Visiting either one should be able to make reservations for both.  And ultimately if by some chance you do end up getting shut out, request the downgrade to plus at guest services and get the difference refunded in refundable OBC. I agree, the $30/day jump from Plus to premier is primarily justified by the specialty dining aspect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Hi Guys,

So I just booked a thanksgiving cruise on Carribbean Princess Nov 27th for Four nights.  I am a new cruiser to every cruise line.  I purchased the Princess Premier package for $90 a day ($360) because it said unlimited dining.

Now that I have paid and log into the app, it only shows 2 restaurants Crown Grill and Sabatini's Italian, which is not even the worst part.

I am unable to make any reservations to either one as no time slots are showing up on ANY of the days. 

Did I just get ripped off from Princess?  I am so mad.  I called them and the agent said the same thing that there were no time slots showing on her system and that I would need to do this when I board the ship.  Is this really how it works?  I need to wait until I get there and pray for a time slot?

Please help me if anybody knows what I should do or who I should speak with.  I feel totally helpless right now.

As a new cruiser, I thought that I'd take the time to provide you with a little information about Princess.  Princess' fleet is comprised of 4 different classes of ship:

• Panamax (Coral & Island) - the smallest ships in the fleet and originally designed to be the largest passenger vessels to be able to use the historic Panama locks (2000 passengers +/-).  These ships have the least choices for Casual or Specialty Dining.
  • Grand Class (Grand, Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Caribbean, Crown, Ruby) - there are sub-classes of the Grand Class design but these ships are larger than the Panamax (3000 +/- passengers).  They have more dining rooms, and more choices for Casual or Specialty Dining.  Grand Class has a full promenade deck.
  • Royal Class (Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky, Discovery, Enchanted) - these are newer and larger than the Grand Class ships (3600 passengers +/-).  They have 3 main dining rooms, multiple Casual Dining venues and multiple Specialty Dining venues like The Catch, Sabatini's, and Crown Grill.  Venues vary by ship, so check out the deck plans on Princess.com.  
  • Sphere Class (Sun & currently being built Star) - these are the newest and largest ships (4200 +/- passengers).  These ships have the most dining choices of any of the ships that Princess operates.

I would be happy with the Plus Package on any of the Princess ships.  I personally would only purchase the Premier Package on Royal or Sphere Class ships because of the enhanced variety of dining choices that are available (because I value the dining aspect of Premier - others value the drink aspect of Premier and would be happy to have the package on any ship.)

If you decide to keep cruising, you will quickly begin to understand the reasons that you want to cruise (itinerary, length of cruise, age of ship. size of ship, food, entertainment etc.).  There are so many elements that create the cruise experience and you will learn which ones are valuable to you.

Enjoy your cruise.  Make the most of it.

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Is there any possibility that I will go on the ship and never eat any specialty dining?

you'll be fine. If we managed to get a specialty dining booking for 5 (!) people when we boarded, you won't have any problems getting a seat for 1-2 people.

P.S. We swore off sailing on Caribbean Princess after our one and only cruise on her in 2016.... For a good reason. I hope you enjoy.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

I haven’t cruised since the introduction of the Premier Package but we’ve also had luck just walking up to the specialty venue at the time we want to eat and have received a table.  I can only remember one time we were turned away.  YMMV

new cruiser,  I can totally understand your worry and frustration!

But, as everyone is saying, this seems to be a 'thing' with Princess and their APP.

You are def. not alone.   

Do keep checking the APP...  I don't know if you have a good travel agent or Princess Planner who could help.  But, I have not heard of them being able to find availability that is not showing.

I would plan on boarding as early as possible, when General Boarding is called.  And, just like the Muster drill, just make this the first thing on your agenda.  Once you get this settled, then you can relax and enjoy!

If you would prefer to downgrade your package to PLUS, I think you should be able to do that.

Then, if you get a couple of nights Specialty Dining, and pay for them,  you won't feel as if you have over-paid up front and not be able to get everything you are hoping for.

You are in a different situation on the Caribbean Princess,  with these packages,  because the options are def. limited.  So, you have to just take two or three deep breaths and weigh your options.  Being able to relax and go into enjoyment mode, right away, will be the best thing you can do!

Go into this with a positive attitude and I hope you have a great cruise!

Do have realistic expectations as you will be on an older and more limited ship.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Now remember that Princess Premier also covers a lot more stuff than just specialty dining. Once on board go to the specialty restaurants and book your reservation. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

• Unlimited MedallionNet WiFi - the best WiFi at sea - for up to four-devices
  • New “Premier” Beverage Package – top-shelf spirits and cocktails up to $18 with bar service charge included, new selection of wines by the glass, 25 percent off bottles of wine, specialty coffees, smoothies, and bottled water
  • Two specialty dining meals per person including popular restaurants like Crown Grill and Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria
  • Digital downloads of all photos taken by professional staff onboard, plus three prints of any size up to 8 x 10
  • Entry into new Princess Prizes on board promotion
  • Daily Crew Appreciation

That’s the old Premier. Doesn’t OP have the new premier? 

If this was my situation,  I would walk up to the dining venue the day before, or on the same day, and ask if here is any way I can get a table for tonight ( and keep checking thru out the day) Getting a table for 2 might be easier than trying to get last minute table for 4.  Sometimes people cancel on the day of dining, and spaces open up.  Approach the desk with a smile, civility, and maybe a some humor ( in other words, don't be too demanding).  The early times ( just around opening hours) might be better to grab a last minute table.  You figure dinner might take 1 to 1 1/2 hour, so if you dine around 5pm( ish), you will probably not be impacting the pre-show dinner crowd with a last minute table request.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Is there any possibility that I will go on the ship and never eat any specialty dining?  I would be crushed as that is the only reason I purchased Princess Premier

Many here do not want to admit the problem, but yes, it is possible that you will not be able to get a reservation, once aboard.   If you expand your horizons and are willing to dine late (near closing) it does help.  We have talked about this on other posts.  HAL has been including more and more alternative dining in their packages.  With the Premiere Package now having no limits, most folks who book that package will be seeking lots of alternative dining reservations.  Princess keeps expanding the potential bookers but does not expand the dining venues.  

In December of 2023, we spent 2 weeks on the Sky Princess. where we had the Premiere Package.  This was still at a time when there was a 2 free meal limit, but we also had over $1000 of non-refundable OBC.  During those two weeks, it was very difficult to get any reservation in Rudi's and the Crown Grill (Sabatini's was less of a problem).  One evening, while having a drink at the bar just outside the Crown Grill, the Maitre'd chatted with us while we were enjoying a drink.  We complained that it had been impossible to get a reservation (at any time).  He told us to stick around until late, and he would squeeze us in.  This finally happened around 8:50 and we were not finished with dinner until around 10:30!  

I mention this, because "walk-ups" are possible in any of the venues.  It never hurts to go to the host/hostess and ask if there is any chance of getting a table.  At worst they will say no (this happened to us many times) but sometimes you can get lucky.  

As much as we enjoy Princess (we have literally spent years on their ships) we do think there are some major issues with dining and the main show room.  Princess makes money by allotting more space to cabins, and less to public rooms.  The main theaters are too small for the number of passengers (this seems to be an even bigger problem on the new Sun Princess) and the alternative restaurants were planned at a time when Princess could exercise some control (over bookings) by how they priced the venues.  But now, with the Premium package and unlimited dining privileges, the only real control is the number of available reservations.  

Princess does have a nasty habit of enticing folks with packages and venues, but not wanting to talk about availability,   Consider the Sanctuary where one has to be lucky to get reservations.  If you do not have some kind of priority boarding, you are likely to find the Sanctuary "sold out."  On the new Sun Princess they are selling several hundred "Sanctuary" cabins which get folks access to the larger Sanctuary.  But there are obvously not enough loungers for everyone, so apparently it will be first come-first serve on a daily basis.  I can just imagine folks rushing up there an hour before opening (to wait in line), getting assigned loungers, and then going ashore for the day (while their reserved lounger is empty).  Meanwhile, others who are still aboard and slept-in until 9, will be out of luck!  Every day!  Folks will have paid thousands of extra dollars for those Sanctuary cabins, but then they will have to fight to get a seat!  

There is a reason why many of us call lines like Princess "mass market."  They cater to the "masses" but many of the spaces do not have sufficient size for those same "masses."

Hank

13 hours ago, newcruiserny said:

Is there any possibility that I will go on the ship and never eat any specialty dining?  I would be crushed as that is the only reason I purchased Princess Premier

Time to take a step back and breathe. We were just off the Majestic and even though most restaurants did not show availability once on board we were able to book. The only problem you may encounter is time. For people who think they have to eat at 5:00 or they will pass out those are the hardest to get. If you are like us and like to eat later we were able to even walk up at 8 and were seated

2 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

As a new cruiser, I thought that I'd take the time to provide you with a little information about Princess.  Princess' fleet is comprised of 4 different classes of ship:

• Panamax (Coral & Island) - the smallest ships in the fleet and originally designed to be the largest passenger vessels to be able to use the historic Panama locks (2000 passengers +/-).  These ships have the least choices for Casual or Specialty Dining.
  • Grand Class (Grand, Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Caribbean, Crown, Ruby) - there are sub-classes of the Grand Class design but these ships are larger than the Panamax (3000 +/- passengers).  They have more dining rooms, and more choices for Casual or Specialty Dining.  Grand Class has a full promenade deck.
  • Royal Class (Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky, Discovery, Enchanted) - these are newer and larger than the Grand Class ships (3600 passengers +/-).  They have 3 main dining rooms, multiple Casual Dining venues and multiple Specialty Dining venues like The Catch, Sabatini's, and Crown Grill.  Venues vary by ship, so check out the deck plans on Princess.com.  
  • Sphere Class (Sun & currently being built Star) - these are the newest and largest ships (4200 +/- passengers).  These ships have the most dining choices of any of the ships that Princess operates.

I would be happy with the Plus Package on any of the Princess ships.  I personally would only purchase the Premier Package on Royal or Sphere Class ships because of the enhanced variety of dining choices that are available (because I value the dining aspect of Premier - others value the drink aspect of Premier and would be happy to have the package on any ship.)

If you decide to keep cruising, you will quickly begin to understand the reasons that you want to cruise (itinerary, length of cruise, age of ship. size of ship, food, entertainment etc.).  There are so many elements that create the cruise experience and you will learn which ones are valuable to you.

Enjoy your cruise.  Make the most of it.

We were just on the Majestic and even there with only 3 restaurants no problem booking on board

• Like 1

Sorry for over reacting but please understand that this is the first time I have ever booked a Princess cruise and I have never been on a cruise ship before.  I am not retired so I have work time off that I need to use before the year ends and this cruise date fit into my schedule being on Thanksgiving holiday. 

I was watching videos but I guess I was looking at the Sun or any newer ships and didn't realize that I did not have more than 2 restaurant choices.  Please try to understand that the food is the reason I bought the package.  I don't drink and I don't care about the wifi.  I bought it 100% for the food.

I also booked a cruise for Holland America and I can make reservations so easy on their app.

Princess Premier package was literally more then what I paid for my cruise fare.

Edited by newcruiserny

4 day      Thanksgiving.      Inaugural.  Port Canaveral. CB. Good luck booking anytime anywhere.  Service will be terrible and under staffed.   Hard Pass for us.  Been there done that 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

Sorry for over reacting but please understand that this is the first time I have ever booked a Princess cruise and I have never been on a cruise ship before.  I am not retired so I have work time off that I need to use before the year ends and this cruise date fit into my schedule being on Thanksgiving holiday. 

I was watching videos but I guess I was looking at the Sun or any newer ships and didn't realize that I did not have more than 2 restaurant choices.  Please try to understand that the food is the reason I bought the package.  I don't drink and I don't care about the wifi.  I bought it 100% for the food.

I also booked a cruise for Holland America and I can make reservations so easy on their app.

Princess Premier package was literally more then what I paid for my cruise fare.

You would probably be better booking standard and just paying $53 per specialty restaurant. Research is importsnt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

If you only purchased Premier for the specialty dining, then you don't need it. Just pay by the meal (although it does also cover the daily gratuity - which I assume you intend to pay). In my opinion, the main dining room food is really good and we rarely feel the need for specialty dining. Since you have never cruised you may not know that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, memoak said:

Time to take a step back and breathe. We were just off the Majestic and even though most restaurants did not show availability once on board we were able to book. The only problem you may encounter is time. For people who think they have to eat at 5:00 or they will pass out those are the hardest to get. If you are like us and like to eat later we were able to even walk up at 8 and were seated

If only there were other places to grab a snack to tide one over.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

Please try to understand that the food is the reason I bought the package.  I don't drink and I don't care about the wifi.  I bought it 100% for the food.

then you are better off cancelling the package, like memoak said, and just paying a cover fee every night. It'll be half the price.

18 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

I have never been on a cruise ship before. 

why are you even bothering with specialty dining then? MDR food is good. We've been sailing for more than 10 years, and this year was the first time we tried specialty dining (we weren't even that impressed) and only because it was sort of free to us.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If only there were other places to grab a snack to tide one over.

Tons of places included in your fare. International cafe, buffet, lido deck burgers and pizza

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

I was watching videos but I guess I was looking at the Sun or any newer ships and didn't realize that I did not have more than 2 restaurant choices.

A lot of these YouTubers create drama for clicks. You'll be able to get in to dine. The majority wants to eat at 5, 6 or 7. Eat later and relax. 

31 minutes ago, newcruiserny said:

As you've never cruised - were you under the impression that if you didn't buy a package like this,.you'd have nowhere to eat? Or be relegated to a buffet only?.

The main dining room is quite good, ser es multi -course meals with multiple different options nightly..

There's also included a full buffet with multiple options that changes daily, themed nights with special inclusions, and open 16 hours a day.

Included also is the International Cafe with smaller lighter bites 24 hours.

Along with the Lido deck options of the grill, with grilled to order chicken, burgers, and such, Plus a pizza outlet with fresh pizza - 11-10.

The specialty restaurants are a smallish step up from the main dining room, but not enough to waste $90 pp a day on if you don't drink, aren't bothered with Wi-Fi, etc- all the other parts of the package....

You can pay the cover charge individually, it'll be $53 pp to dine at either Crown or Sabatini's....  

You'd have a LOT of $$$ going that route, particularly if the other components are worthless to you..   

• Like 2