Loyalty Benefits Survey

Sea42

34 minutes ago, whogo said:

It is interesting that everyone reports requesting monetary benefits. The biggest stink I recall on the Holland America Cruise Critic board was when the medallion program was dropped.

The "Medallion" program is alive and well. There was a Medallion ceremony either today or yesterday on Westerdam. I thinl the complaint was about "Mariner points" and how that is confused with the "status" of the medallions. Like I have said before the only really valuable perk I can see is unlimited laundry. Alas I doubt we will ever reach that lofty goal.

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I did not realize the HAL, Princess, and Seabourn were combining loyalty points. Very interesting.

They aren't currently combining the loyalty program.  Some people have been assigned one Mariner number for both lines though.  So far, no combining of the status.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Petronillus said:

We've just progressed to 4-star status, and the peak satisfaction was landing on Free Laundry\

On the other hand, I've read a lot of complaints, when it comes to jumping the line in tendering and the like, about the over-abundance of 4- and 5-star mariners. As W.S. Gilbert said, "If everybody's somebody then nobody's anybody."

I feel the same way. I made 4-Star to get the free laundry. That's what I really wanted.
As for the "priority" perks, on several of my cruises, there have been so many high-star Mariners and others with "Priority" that they had to discontinue that perk. As you quoted, if everyone is special, then no-one is. That decision was unpopular with all the "special" people, but it made it fair for all the passengers who had waited nearly 2 hours for a tender ashore.
I've also had people demand that they could cut in line at the Front Desk (before there were special lines for high-star Mariners), at the Shore Excursion Desk, Explorations Cafe, and Lido because they were 4- or 5-Stars and that meant they had Priority. It really got out of hand on one cruise with a few passengers who were always trying to cut in line or go to the head of the line.

7 minutes ago, ellieanne said:

I feel the same way. I made 4-Star to get the free laundry. That's what I really wanted.
As for the "priority" perks, on several of my cruises, there have been so many high-star Mariners and others with "Priority" that they had to discontinue that perk. As you quoted, if everyone is special, then no-one is. That decision was unpopular with all the "special" people, but it made it fair for all the passengers who had waited nearly 2 hours for a tender ashore.
I've also had people demand that they could cut in line at the Front Desk (before there were special lines for high-star Mariners), at the Shore Excursion Desk, Explorations Cafe, and Lido because they were 4- or 5-Stars and that meant they had Priority. It really got out of hand on one cruise with a few passengers who were always trying to cut in line or go to the head of the line.

We have been 5 star for several years and cruise several times a year and have never seen a "high star" special line at the front desk or Shore Excursions.  There is a Club Orange special line at guest services.  That CO line does bother me - I have spent thousands of dollars with HAL over the years but a new HAL guest can spend a few extra dollars on one 7 day cruise and the special line.  How about a line for us long time loyal HAL mariners (928 days on HAL ships).

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, whogo said:

It is interesting that everyone reports requesting monetary benefits. The biggest stink I recall on the Holland America Cruise Critic board was when the medallion program was dropped.

We had a medallion ceremony on our July Alaska cruise and I am currently on Koningsdam, and had a medallion ceremony and two days of mariner lunches.  We had two officers at our table.  Most four and five star tables had at least one officer, we met in Ocean Bar before the lunch and were assigned designated tables.  Three star and below sat wherever they wanted.  Have you cruised lately.  

I started cruising a long time ago when all the ships were small, and everyone met the “hostess” and captain at a receiving line entering a “captain’s welcome party” in a lounge. It was fun and I liked meeting the captain. (I know, Norovirus and then Covid on ships discouraged officers from shaking hands.) I loved cruising so much I switched from airline sales and went to work as a cruise line marketing rep for years.

Things of course have changed so much that we all might as well be staying in very large nice hotels. So when there’s the rare personalized event with the captain (such as being invited to the reception for a bronze medallion a while back) I enjoy it. I also liked getting a round Rotterdam inaugural plate in 2021. Little special touches matter to some of us.

Probably I should just switch to smaller ships for more personalized cruising, but I always feel at home on HAL. So I did rank recognition stuff on the survey’s top five list

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We have been 5 star for several years and cruise several times a year and have never seen a "high star" special line at the front desk or Shore Excursions.  There is a Club Orange special line at guest services.  That CO line does bother me - I have spent thousands of dollars with HAL over the years but a new HAL guest can spend a few extra dollars on one 7 day cruise and the special line.  How about a line for us long time loyal HAL mariners (928 days on HAL ships).

iflyrc5

we understand how one feels thinking loyalty should mean something, but DW and I believe that in looking for cruises besides itineraries more bang for our buck is what we chose, meeting wonderful people on all trips. Now we come across something new that HAL has with needing ones cabin but nothing was said at booking time that's what irks us, now we wait for our DW 65th Bday and retirement cruise booked almost two years in advance. Will find out if no changes occur BTW this will give us three star mariner and Platinum with Princess.....

17 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Agree, took the survey and chose items of monetary value.  We would also like sharing of loyalty benefits.

They do ask that question in the survey.  They phrased it as transferability not combining.  

• Like 1

We still have not received the survey.  Free laundry is a nice perk.  A discount on internet and some kind of daily alcohol perk would be welcome.  4-5 drink tickets like Royal or a free daily unlimited Happy Hour (5-7) like Celebrity would be nice perks.  Reciprocal benefits would be welcome with Seabourn!

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

They aren't currently combining the loyalty program.  Some people have been assigned one Mariner number for both lines though.  So far, no combining of the status.

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy. It should have read "loyalty numbers" not loyalty points. Appreciate the catch. 

I think you are also right to say 'So far, no combining of the status".... I suspect that is coming.

• Like 1