RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

I just wanted to chime in and agree with so much of what's already been posted on this thread. I have done private tours in many countries (and 3 continents) and RIL has proven to be the cream of the crop!

In October of 2011, I booked two tours with RIL - the Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour and the Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano tour out of Naples. Both tours were exceptional! The tour guides (Nicole at the Vatican and Rafaello in Naples) were so knowledgeable and expert in getting the group from place to place.

Jany is extremely responsive to my silly questions and so easy to work with! Such a wonderful company...makes planning our time in Italy so so easy!

Take my advice - book with Rome in Limo - you will be so happy you did!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on Cruise Critic joining the Roll Call for our upcoming Caribbean cruise ... but looking forward to getting back to Europe. Hopefully next year. So, I thought I'd stop in and see what was going on in the Rome in Limo site. Italy is one of our favorite destinations and we've used RIL each time we've visited. I always check in to see if they're still getting the same kind of wonderful reviews that first brought us to them many years ago. It appears they are. We ALWAYS book private excursions, cars, guides and drivers. You can usually do this cheaper than the ship's tours (especially if you're traveling with 3 or more people). That's how I found RIL and I'll never use anyone else in Italy. They treat you like family!! And, that really makes a difference when you're a "stranger in a strange land!"

We are currently booked on a RIL tour to Lucca/Florence from La Spezia. We were originally docking in Livorno which is a bit closer to Florence.

For those of you with experience with RIL to Florence, do you think we should book Florence only since the ride is 2 hrs. there and 2 hrs. back? La Spezia is a tender port. Our arrival is 7 am and I would like to be dropped off at the tenders at 6:00 as the ship leaves at 7 pm.

Hi, We are booked for a cruise in June with a port call at Naples and are wanting to visit Pompeii. Can anyone tell me how long the visit is at Pompeii on the Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano tour by RIL? I was hoping to spend more than 2 hours there.

We are currently booked on a RIL tour to Lucca/Florence from La Spezia. We were originally docking in Livorno which is a bit closer to Florence.

For those of you with experience with RIL to Florence, do you think we should book Florence only since the ride is 2 hrs. there and 2 hrs. back? La Spezia is a tender port. Our arrival is 7 am and I would like to be dropped off at the tenders at 6:00 as the ship leaves at 7 pm.

If you want anything more than just highlights, I would personally spend all the time you have in Florence/Firenze only. Just my 2 cents.

Hi, We are booked for a cruise in June with a port call at Naples and are wanting to visit Pompeii. Can anyone tell me how long the visit is at Pompeii on the Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano tour by RIL? I was hoping to spend more than 2 hours there.
Timing is everything when it comes to Pompeii and this is where a private tour will pay for itself. By getting off the ship early, you can get to Pompeii when it opens and beat all the tour buses, including the ship excursions. Two hours is more than enough to see the three regios of the western part of the city (this is where 95% of all tourists visit). However if your interest is in seeing the other regios, then you will need more time. Obviously Romeinlimo can allocate more time at Pompeii but since the drive to the Amalfi coast is pretty long and trafficy, you may have to give up either Sorrento or Positano to do so. For the typical tour with two hours at Pompeii, you already have just enough time for lunch and some shopping in Sorrento, a short visit to Positano, and perhaps another quick stop somewhere else on the return to Napoli. Edited by Terpnut

We enjoyed our three RIL private tours (just the two of us) when we cruised to Italy so much. Any time I talk to someone who is planning either a land trip or cruise to Italy I immediately tell them about RIL. Before our cruise I debated back and forth with myself about spending so much money for tours when there was just the two of us. Our RIL drivers were so professional but at the same time extremely friendly. We could tell that each driver was totally concerned about us and making sure that our days were the best possible. The fact that we were picked up on time and saw easily three times as much as organized ship tours, made it worth every euro we spent.

Preplanning can be fun but also stressful. You have read over and over on these boards about Jany and how responsive, organized, and detail oriented she is. Just to know that there is someone like that there to answer questions before the trip helps tremendously in trip planning.

To further demonstrate how highly we recommend RIL, as a gift to my son for his honeymoon trip to Italy in August, we just booked RIL for a hotel to airport transfer, hotel to train transfer, and for SIX private tours as they travel to various cities on their trip.

Contact them direct, it can vary a little based on where the hotel is and time of day to deal with traffic.

Curious - how much are they charging for hotel-train transfer? I didn't see this on their site. I'd just like to compare their rate vs a taxi.

Agreed, timing is everything with Pompeii and Romeinlimo rocks! We've been there with absolutely no one there. It's been incredible for photos.

Also, I agree with Terpnut, on a first visit, I'd spend all my time in Florence. There is plenty to see and do and Romeinlimo can arrange reservation times into the Accademia and the Uffizi. Personally, I would only hit the Accademia and see the "David" for my first trip to Florence. Michelangelo's David is one of the coolest things I've seen in any museum.

Have a great time! You couldn't pick a better tour company!

• 2 weeks later...

Having just found this site I thought I would add my two cents worth.:D

RIL is without doubt the best and easiest company I have ever dealt with. We have done many cruises which my DW usually organises, while I research and look after the excursion side. I would not think of using another company for Italy port tours, or even airport to hotel, or port to city transfers. I have recommended them to many friends and other travellers. Every one has always been very happy with them.

Dealing with Jany is always a pleasure. Earlier in this forum someone mentioned that she doesn't seem to sleep. We are heading off on a T/A from Tampa this weekend, and I had to contact RIL about our Florence/Pisa trip from Livorno. I sent a message off about 9.00pm (Atlantic Time) last night, which would be about 2.00 am Italy time. I had a reply back within 15 minutes. Amazing lady.

Anyway when I told DW about this site, she decided she had to post a review herself, so I will leave the rest of the review to her.

For anybody considering using this company, don't hesitate. You will never find a better tour company.

Romeinlimo is definitely my favourite transportation service in Italy. We first travelled with them on our honeymoon - first time in Italy- and we could not have asked for more. Not only are they excellent drivers (I am normally a nervous passenger but comfortable with them) but they are drivers, tour guides and restaurant advisors all in one.

On my first trip to Florence two things stood out from all the other wonderful sights - the great food at the restaurant suggested by our driver at noon - and after an exciting day seeing Pisa and Florence he asked if there was anything else in particular we might like. My husband loves wines and asked if there was any chance of a visit to a winery before returning to the ship.

We were treated to a drive into the Tuscan hills and a stop at a winery. It was closed but our driver headed up to the house and the owner came down - opened up the showroom and gave us tastes of the varieties he produces. We all purchased bottles of wine to take back to the ship along with memories of a lovely experience.

Rome with RIL was another treat. We were able to get so close to the sites - unlike the poor people who travelled in cruise line buses - and we saw so much more because we were not waiting for a couple of dozen people. Our driver/guide was full of fascinating information on the drive from the port to Rome and did the little extras that made it another memorable day. He knew the way to get into the Colosseum and avoid the long lines - could advise us about the Vatican and the best way to see it. He also asked us if we would like to have a dinner at a restaurant that featured a Roman favourite. It was a dish that would take several hours to prepare and he called ahead to make arrangements for us. He was just full of information about the places we were seeing. More wonderful memories were made that day.

We had such a wonderful experience with RIL that we have contacted them every time we have been back on a cruise in Italy. And we have recommended them to many friends and posted in our cruises about them so others could experience their fine service.

We are embarking on another cruise in a few days and when we reach Italy we are once again being met by RIL and taken to enjoy Florence.

If you want experienced driver/guides who take you to see the sights - stop and give you time to explore or to take pictures and give you a wealth of information - Romeinlimo is the only way to go!

Steph

Hello,

I arrive in Rome on a Saturday at noon.

Havent booked a hotel. Only 2 ppl so far.

I was thinking I have to do the Vatican on a Saturday or Monday because it is closed on a Sunday (I had no idea). The rate was so much cheaper for me to do it all in one day, but worried will it be rushed as I wont arrive till noon? What if my flight is delayed?

Does the rome in a day on their website include a guide? Maybe thats why its cheaper for it all together?

What do you think I should do to best save on cost? I would like to use RIL as much as I can but to split up the two days it it so much more.

Is it necessary to have a tour guide for the Vatican? Should I get a hotel by the Vatican? Use them only as a cab?

If I do the Vatican non the Saturday, what should I do on the Sunday to make up those hours?

Sat- Arrive noon, Vatican city (own, tour guide, cab)? Move to Monday??

Sunday- Rest of Rome?

Monday- Transfer to cruise ship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Banana Bread

Hello,

I was thinking I have to do the Vatican on a Saturday or Monday because it is closed on a Sunday (I had no idea). The rate was so much cheaper for me to do it all in one day, but worried will it be rushed as I wont arrive till noon? What if my flight is delayed?

Does the rome in a day on their website include a guide? Maybe thats why its cheaper for it all together?

What do you think I should do to best save on cost? I would like to use RIL as much as I can but to split up the two days it it so much more.

Is it necessary to have a tour guide for the Vatican? Should I get a hotel by the Vatican? Use them only as a cab?

If I do the Vatican non the Saturday, what should I do on the Sunday to make up those hours?

Sunday- Rest of Rome?

The very best way to get exact information is to email Jany and ask direct questions. That said, I HIGHLY suggest a guide for the Vatican Museum. I had been 3 different times before I went with the private guide when I took my daughter. It was amazing how it went from some huge museum to this incredible historical building with so many interesting facts. It wasn't one bit boring and it wasn't overwhelming either. It was just REALLY interesting. SO much that I can't wait to return again and focus on different artists. The history behind the art in this place is just unreal. I think it's one of the most interesting museums I've ever been to. But I will say that it is totally because of a guide.

It's hard to say because I don't know your budget, but if this is your first trip to Rome and you want to get as much out of it as possible, I would split up your time and see as much possible. If that isn't in the financial cards for you, you could always combine an airport pick-up with a full day tour. But that is a LOT to do on arrival. I could do it, but it would kill my husband and I would end up being single before the cruise left port:D

Don't skimp on the guides though. Unless you are an art history major yourself, the way they make it all come alive is worth every penny and it's not as stressful trying to navigate your way.

This history and tour through the Forum is incredible also. Oooh so much to see and do. I would probably do two days, but that's me. If you can find anyone else on your Roll Call that is staying a similar length of time you could share a tour or two and greatly lessen your cost?

Good luck! You will LOVE Rome! Especially if you don't let it overwhelm you. Know you won't see it all... and decide you'll be back.

I totally agree with hylasgirl, don't skimp on the guide. It is so worth the $$. The guides RIL uses are all great and they give you an extensive tour in much less time than you can possibly do on your own. The information they give is "priceless".

Contact Jany and she will advise you as to your options. You are dealing with the best tour company in Italy and they have that reputation for good reasons. They have "customized" tours to fit our needs and time tables on many occasions (to include a relayed flight into Rome, for one couple in our family) when we were to leave for a tour in Tuscany that morning. We waited for them and the tour went on without a problem, we just had a later return that evening.

We have used RIL for 7 years with tours all over Italy and I cannot recommend them highly enough. I only wish they were in other parts of Europe also!!

You won't be disappointed. Check on your Roll Call and i'll bet you'll find someone that would love to share the cost of a city/Vatican tour. Check RIL's website as well.

Good luck, and enjoy Rome. My favorite city.

Ciao,

I noticed the Vatican offers tours with a guide for $37 pp euros. Is this the same?

Not exactly. Believe this would be a group tour guide. Think the group size is 15.

I agree strongly a guide is critical, and that Rome in Limo's are excellent.

Edited by CruiserBruce

[We were in the same position, although I am doing the tours with Rome Cabs. They are picking us up at the hotel, we will have a two hour Vatican tour thenthey are taking us to the port. The cost will be 395 euros divided by the 4 of us. That includes the guide. It is a big cost but it is something we want to do. I am not sure what RIL in charging, but this worked for us.

quote=Banana Bread;37801392]Hello,

Sunday- Rest of Rome?

Rome in Limo is absolutely the best and unbelievably accomodating and flexible to whatever your needs or interests are. We saw and did more in the one day tour than most people do in a week and bypassed lines at all sites. On our Rome in a Day tour, our driver, Vincenzo even managed to squeeze in an hour of shopping time for my teen daughter and also a stop at grocery for wine, soda, & water for the hotel and to take with us on our cruise. Since your time in Rome is limited, it would be essential to have Jany customize your trip based on your specific priorities and an hourly rate for your driver. The guide at the Vatican is essential and RIL can arrange that in advance however the guide fee for a personal guide was extra.

Ok so so far this is what I have and staying center of rome

Sat:

-Cab to center of rome $40-50E??

-get to hotel and drop items off

-Take a cab to Vatican museums $15E (since closed Sunday)

-Decide on Vatican guide or headphones $?

-Walk/cab to main squares, Spanish steps et $15E

-walk back to hotel 10 mins

Sunday (depends if others share if not is $360E worth it for 2 ppl? Even if it was $200 bc I had to split up the Vatican it seems like its not as worth it)

-30 min walk to coliseum

-circus Maximus

-the forum

-pantheon

-what else?

-walk back to hotel

Mon

-walk 10 min to train(termini) to port $15E pp/ Cab $155 E for 2 ppl

2 full suitcases and 1 carryon

Bases on this do you think I should still book RIL for any of these days?

My hotel is near center of Rome. Is there other things I could go see?

Are these doable on my own?

Trying to save some $.

Edited by Banana Bread

Ok so so far this is what I have and staying center of rome

Sat:

-Cab to center of rome $40-50E??

-get to hotel and drop items off

-Take a cab to Vatican museums $15E (since closed Sunday)

-Decide on Vatican guide or headphones $?

-Walk/cab to main squares, Spanish steps et $15E

-walk back to hotel 10 mins

Sunday (depends if others share if not is $360E worth it for 2 ppl? Even if it was $200 bc I had to split up the Vatican it seems like its not as worth it)

-30 min walk to coliseum

-circus Maximus

-the forum

-pantheon

-what else?

-walk back to hotel

Mon

-walk 10 min to train(termini) to port $15E pp/ Cab $155 E for 2 ppl

2 full suitcases and 1 carryon

Bases on this do you think I should still book RIL for any of these days?

My hotel is near center of Rome. Is there other things I could go see?

Are these doable on my own?

Trying to save some $.

Strictly my opinion, but I don't think you need to book Rome in Limo for the sights you have in mind on Sunday.

Where is your hotel exactly? If it's not far from Termini, you can just get on the Metro there and go a couple of stops to the Colosseum -- you'll be right there when you exit. The forum and Circus Maximus are very close by.

(I'd suggest you do the Circus Maximus, then do the Forum as you'll be headed in the right direction to walk onward to the Pantheon; about 15 minutes from the Forum.)

If you don't see the Piazza Navona on Day 1, do it after the Pantheon. There are also a lot of nice places to have dinner or just stroll in the area around these.

Then walk back to your hotel (at Termini?); stopping at Trevi Fountain on your way.

Thank you. Yes I think I may save on the $ as it isn't a Rome in a day tour...

How much is a metro pass? Is there anywhere else I should see like the underground city or appian way or midieval Rome? I'm guessin there are quite far places...

You're going to have a great time in Rome. We've used RIL there a couple times. As far as Rome is concerned, when we did the Coliseum our driver got our tickets for us and we skipped the lines getting into it. I aslo hear they opened the lower levels to tours now. SUpposed tobe something to see. Don't forget Trevi Fountain (from 3 coins in a fountain). We also used RIL's tour guide to the Vatican. Of course her name was Mary. Another consideration while travelling in Rome is the safety factor. With all the traffic there it is not a place I would feel comfortable walking in. So much traffic. Ask my wife who was sitting in the back seat of our van making sound effects. And we drive in NYC a lot. For that purpose and for the number of places you would get to see is a good reason to use a tour.

Thank you. Yes I think I may save on the $ as it isn't a Rome in a day tour...

How much is a metro pass? Is there anywhere else I should see like the underground city or appian way or midieval Rome? I'm guessin there are quite far places...

There is lots more to see in Rome (I'm going there for what's probably my dozenth visit in a month and still have found 5 days' worth of things to do with only a couple of repeats. HOWEVER, for a short intro to Rome, I think you've covered the basics.

Part of the fun of being in Rome is just walking and enjoying it, not having to rush everywhere. So don't be tempted to cram too much into each day.

Another consideration while travelling in Rome is the safety factor. With all the traffic there it is not a place I would feel comfortable walking in. So much traffic. Ask my wife who was sitting in the back seat of our van making sound effects. And we drive in NYC a lot. For that purpose and for the number of places you would get to see is a good reason to use a tour.

I'm sorry, but this is plain wrong. I've walked around in Rome many times as a woman on her own, even late at night. I've walked around with my then 6-year old son. I've walked around with my 75-year-old mother. Never once have I encountered any problems walking in Rome. It's DRIVING that's crazy, yes, but walking is no problem at all.