RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

How long does it take them to reply to a booking? I booked last night and still have not heard from them.

Thanks

2 things--remember the time zone & also it is a weekend--Jany is ALWAYS good doing her job, if as someone said if Jany is still working for Duman you'll hear soon.

Yesterday we had a fabulous walking tour with Maximo (hope I spelled it right) and he was wonderful. Took his time explaining every aspect of the tour and had such patience with the six of us (3 were in wheelchairs).

Today with had a driver named Franco who was just as wonderful and also took a lot of time to explain all the sites.

Please convey our best wishes to both of these gentlemen.

You should be very proud to have such terrific employees.

I will recommend your company to my friends

I too am not a fan of ship excursions as we also had an amazing private tour with RIL in Rome...However...We did use the ship offered "DIY" for some of our ports in the western med...and was surprised at how great they actually turned out.

Easy transportation, very knowledgeable and helpful on bus guides, budget friendly and the ability to be on our where we didn't feel a private guide was totally necessary.

Sometimes it's best to consider all your options and not just assume going private is the only way to go. JMHO and personal experience on our first visit to these particular European ports.

So very true! While in the Caribbean I think you can do any type of snorkel activity both on and off ship tours and have a fabulous time. It's really all the same and it's a matter of who you feel the most comfortable with or who is offering the tour of choice. There are lots of other areas as well. But I would never choose a ship tour for an amazing experience in any of the great cities in Europe. I just wouldn't. I'm not saying they aren't helpful, or even knowledgeable to a certain extent. There are just too many people to have a real local experience and you are never able to get as much out of your day. I've done both. Once. And I will say that not one ship tour (for places like Rome, Florence, Naples, Athens) was cheaper for a full day tour with a private company with only 6 people in a van. You just can't beat those numbers. I saved the tour sheet from Celebrity last year and I just cannot believe they fill all those buses with all those people for that much money. I guess it's a good thing. We all can't go with Romeinlimo :D

So very true! While in the Caribbean I think you can do any type of snorkel activity both on and off ship tours and have a fabulous time. It's really all the same and it's a matter of who you feel the most comfortable with or who is offering the tour of choice. There are lots of other areas as well. But I would never choose a ship tour for an amazing experience in any of the great cities in Europe. I just wouldn't. I'm not saying they aren't helpful, or even knowledgeable to a certain extent. There are just too many people to have a real local experience and you are never able to get as much out of your day. I've done both. Once. And I will say that not one ship tour (for places like Rome, Florence, Naples, Athens) was cheaper for a full day tour with a private company with only 6 people in a van. You just can't beat those numbers. I saved the tour sheet from Celebrity last year and I just cannot believe they fill all those buses with all those people for that much money. I guess it's a good thing. We all can't go with Romeinlimo :D
Well said! :)

I have them booked for both Florence + Rome - can't wait :D

But the problem arises that for some excursions you may not have that many people so it would cost more to go private. I signed up for tour sharing with RIL but noone has signed up yet. I guess if no one signs up ill either pay more or go with the ship tour.

But the problem arises that for some excursions you may not have that many people so it would cost more to go private. I signed up for tour sharing with RIL but noone has signed up yet. I guess if no one signs up ill either pay more or go with the ship tour.
I have never had any trouble finding people to join any of the private tours I have organized. If anything, I have to turn people away. First, start with your Cruisecritic roll call. Second, even if you don't fill a tour prior to sailing, you should have no trouble finding people once onboard. Be patient because the overwhelming majority of people do not plan their excursions until shortly before sailing or well after sailing. From your day-to-day activities, you will find plenty of fellow passengers who have no idea what they will be doing in any particular port--even within a day or two of arriving at that port! :rolleyes: :p

So remember, MOST of the passengers on your sailing are NOT on CruiseCritic, nor do they plan ahead. CruiseCritic participants are far more organized and knowledgeable than the rest of the passengers. For many of these fellow passengers, when presented with a good private tour option, they will jump on it! And they will thank you for the excellent experience and huge cost savings! :)

As just an example, I once organized, booked and paid for a 17-person tour in Tunis--even though I only had maybe 10 people confirmed prior to sailing. Once onboard, I easily found another dozen or more people interested in this tour!

Edited by Terpnut

Such a helpful thread. My question has to do with the logistics of paying in cash when we are paying for the RIL private tours---3 days in a row---in cash. It is just our family of 6, so no one to share with. The total with tips will be approximately 1,800 Euro.

Normally I would take the cash out of the ATM for the best exchange rate. However, I cannot take out that much over the 3 days (it's over the ATM daily withdrawal limit).

If you have been in this situation (not sharing payment with other cruise passengers), how did you handle it? I realize I could bring cash in dollars and exchange, but that is a lot of cash to be carrying around. Yikes.

Just wondering if anyone has a better suggestion. thx :)

A little reading would reveal Euro travelers checks are the way to go...About the only thing they are good for. But as the amounts required work well, they are the way to go.

Interesting...the reading I've done has indicated the value/exchange on them is poor, so I didn't think they would be a good choice. Will explore more...thanks.

Interesting...the reading I've done has indicated the value/exchange on them is poor, so I didn't think they would be a good choice. Will explore more...thanks.

With Rome in Limo, you can pay two ways. Euros, or Euro travelers checks. You, like many others, have the issue of withdrawl limits vs the amount of cash you need. So, that only leaves Euro travelers checks. The exchange rate is not as good as ATMs, but it can be better than getting Euros exchanged back home. So, yes, it isn't the best, but it also isn't the worst, and it satifies the needs you have. And there really aren't many other choices.

Edited by CruiserBruce

With Rome in Limo, you can pay two ways. Euros, or Euro travelers checks. You, like many others, have the issue of withdrawl limits vs the amount of cash you need. So, that only leaves Euro travelers checks. The exchange rate is not as good as ATMs, but it can be better than getting Euros exchanged back home. So, yes, it isn't the best, but it also isn't the worst, and it satifies the needs you have. And there really aren't many other choices.

Thanks- do you recommend purchasing them from AAA in the US?

Thanks- do you recommend purchasing them from AAA in the US?

You can but we opted to purchase them from our local bank (probably same service) instead and we picked them up in approx 3 business days...and as said above, using Travelers Checks in Euros to pay for our private RIL tour was very easy...just signed them and gave them to our driver.

In fact, we are o n a ship sailing back from spending a few days in London and taking 3 private tours. What we did was prepay our tours and took cash with us for the tips. But I have taken lots of cash with me to do what you want to do. Just be careful going thru the airport screeners. Carry your cash in your hand. We have purchased our foreign currency at AAA. They seemed to have a competitive price. Sometimes I carry my money in a neck gaitor(?) or a belt money clip. Not in my pockets oe wallet.

We just got back from a reposition to Rome. Had the pleasure of guided tour with Romeinalimo in Pisa,Florence and Rome. These tours were the highlite of our three week vacation. Can't say enough about the experience, we were treated like VIPs all the way. I will go back and use this service again. Just wish that these wonderful people were worldwide.

We are just back from our NCL Spirit med cruise. We used Romeinlimo for three ports. Fabulous!!!! Well worth the extra money. They are a wealth of information. We had Elizabeth in Florence/Pisa she was amazing, kept us moving and informed on everything!!! We had Franco in Rome. We were a challenge for him since two in our group had been before and wanted to be dropped different places. He was wonderful. Took us to this amazing little key hole on top of a hill where when you looked through you saw the Vatican. Giovani was our guide in

Naples. Took us on the beautiful Amafi coast and Pompei.

I would recommend them to every one!!! Made each port special and used the little time we had to the max.

In fact, we are o n a ship sailing back from spending a few days in London and taking 3 private tours. What we did was prepay our tours and took cash with us for the tips. But I have taken lots of cash with me to do what you want to do. Just be careful going thru the airport screeners. Carry your cash in your hand. We have purchased our foreign currency at AAA. They seemed to have a competitive price. Sometimes I carry my money in a neck gaitor(?) or a belt money clip. Not in my pockets oe wallet.

How were you able to prepay your tours? I ask because it says euros or travelers cheques euro and no prepay.

I wonder if we could bring U.S. travel checks and cashed them on the ship and purchase Euro's ? thoughts?

It would be safer to travel with travelers checks.

Edited by SAS21

I wonder if we could bring U.S. travel checks and cashed them on the ship and purchase Euro's ? thoughts?

Perhaps I missed an earlier response to this question, but why not just use your ATM card?

Exchange rate is not good on the ship. Plus, if you pay a fee to get the travelers checks - some charge a fee - then you are being double charged, sort of.

We have just arrived home from our cruise 27th April-4th May our first port of call after leaving Rome was Naples and we joined a group of 6 others (complete strangers but we hit it off immediately) advertised on here to go and see Positano, Sorrento and Pompei with Giovanni of RomeinLimo. This was the highlight of our holiday,Giovanni was at the port waiting for us and whilst travelling between stops kept us entertained and informed on where and what we were seeing, we had time to explore and he took us to have lunch at a fabulous restaurant in Sorrento, menu and prices were fantastic, we then went on To Pompei which is a "must do" site we had another guide there she was also very informative and charming and after 2hours we were taken back to our ship. We can recommend Rome in Limo tours great service and attention especially with Giovanni.