RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

Thank you everyone. if i find otheres maybe i woll do a tour but if its just me and my hubby mahne we will walk.

If I wanted to see San Clemente and the underground city, where would be a good way to fit this in? If I had known there was so much to see and do I would of stayed longer.

Is this better to see than the Borgese?

Staying near termini

Sat- Vatican museums, St. Peter's, dinner , main squares, trevi

Sun- coliseum, circus Maximus, forum, pantheon, lunch, basilica di San Clemente, Borgese, dinner

Is this doable on metro or my feet in 2 days? Is the order good?

Edited by Banana Bread

There is lots more to see in Rome (I'm going there for what's probably my dozenth visit in a month and still have found 5 days' worth of things to do with only a couple of repeats. HOWEVER, for a short intro to Rome, I think you've covered the basics.

Part of the fun of being in Rome is just walking and enjoying it, not having to rush everywhere. So don't be tempted to cram too much into each day.

Cruisemom,

We will be porting in Rome next month but have never taken a train from the port to Rome. We have seen all the major sights and were just in Rome 3 years ago. We were contemplating RIL off the ship but will DIY , which is what we did our last time there. Is it easy to get the train from the port to Rome and what do you recommend doing in Rome as we have already seen the major recently. We still haven't seen the catacombs so maybe that is an option. We will be docked from 7am to 7pm. Also what would be the last train we should take to Civitavecchia in order to get to the boat on time.

Thanks,

JD

If I wanted to see San Clemente and the underground city, where would be a good way to fit this in?

As you schedule, keep in mind that San Clemente is an active church, so visits on Sunday are only in the afternoon, after the masses are over.

They have a good new web site where you can learn about the excavations and see the layouts and some pictures: http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

We have seen all the major sights and were just in Rome 3 years ago. We were contemplating RIL off the ship but will DIY , which is what we did our last time there. Is it easy to get the train from the port to Rome and what do you recommend doing in Rome as we have already seen the major recently. We still haven't seen the catacombs so maybe that is an option. We will be docked from 7am to 7pm. Also what would be the last train we should take to Civitavecchia in order to get to the boat on time.

It is easy to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. From the shuttle stop near the fortress to the station, located on Viale della Repubblica, is less than half a mile. It's flat and pretty much a straight line, with the water on your right as you head to the station. You can make a google map with these coordinates, then go to street view, and you'll see the station (42.088056,11.797942).

The ticket to purchase for a port day is called a BIRG (5 zone). It costs 12 Euro per person and covers round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome (on regional trains only) as well as all mass transit in the city for the day. You can buy this from the newsstand in the train station, no need to wait on line at the Trenitalia ticket office. Other newsstands in town may sell it as well. Be sure to validate the ticket by stamping it in one of the machines in the station or on the platforms. If you can't find a stamping machine or it doesn't work, turn the ticket over and write the date, time and your name on the backside.

Which train station to use in Rome depends on what you want to see.

As for the return, you need to allow enough time to walk back to the port as well as time to wait for the shuttle bus, in case one isn't there when you get back. Additionally, I always recommend that you take one train before the last train that will comfortably get you there, to build in "what if" padding.

Therefore, for a 7 PM departure with an "all on board" time of 6:30 PM, you'd want to be on a train that arrives around 6PM. The train closest to that arrives at 6:11. The train just before this arrives at 5:11, so that would be the one I'd aim for. It departs from Rome Termini at 4:12 and also makes stops at the Ostiense, Trastevere and San Pietro stations in Rome.

Edited by euro cruiser

It is easy to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. From the shuttle stop near the fortress to the station, located on Viale della Repubblica, is less than half a mile. It's flat and pretty much a straight line, with the water on your right as you head to the station. You can make a google map with these coordinates, then go to street view, and you'll see the station (42.088056,11.797942).

The ticket to purchase for a port day is called a BIRG (5 zone). It costs 12 Euro per person and covers round trip train fare between Civitavecchia and Rome (on regional trains only) as well as all mass transit in the city for the day. You can buy this from the newsstand in the train station, no need to wait on line at the Trenitalia ticket office. Other newsstands in town may sell it as well. Be sure to validate the ticket by stamping it in one of the machines in the station or on the platforms. If you can't find a stamping machine or it doesn't work, turn the ticket over and write the date, time and your name on the backside.

Which train station to use in Rome depends on what you want to see.

As for the return, you need to allow enough time to walk back to the port as well as time to wait for the shuttle bus, in case one isn't there when you get back. Additionally, I always recommend that you take one train before the last train that will comfortably get you there, to build in "what if" padding.

Therefore, for a 7 PM departure with an "all on board" time of 6:30 PM, you'd want to be on a train that arrives around 6PM. The train closest to that arrives at 6:11. The train just before this arrives at 5:11, so that would be the one I'd aim for. It departs from Rome Termini at 4:12 and also makes stops at the Ostiense, Trastevere and San Pietro stations in Rome.

Euro cruiser,

Thanks. As always you give invaluable and detailed info for us DIYers. Much appreciated!:)

Cheers,

JD

Edited by jrewing007

Cruisemom,

We will be porting in Rome next month but have never taken a train from the port to Rome. We have seen all the major sights and were just in Rome 3 years ago. We were contemplating RIL off the ship but will DIY , which is what we did our last time there. Is it easy to get the train from the port to Rome and what do you recommend doing in Rome as we have already seen the major recently. We still haven't seen the catacombs so maybe that is an option. We will be docked from 7am to 7pm. Also what would be the last train we should take to Civitavecchia in order to get to the boat on time.

Thanks,

JD

Eurocruiser already gave excellent advice on transportation. In terms of what to do or see in Rome, there are many, many options.

If you want to visit the catacombs on the Appia Antica, it is relatively easy to do it on your own since you're taking the train from Civitavecchia.

You'd just need to get off the train at the Ostiense station and look for the connected metro station, Pyramide. Outside the Pyramide station, you can take bus #118 directly out to the Appia Antica. It originates at Pyramide and it runs about every 40 minutes.

You can take it directly out to the stop near the catacombs and tomb of Cecilia Metella. OR if you are looking for something else interesting, you can get off at an earlier stop -- the Baths of Caracalla, one of the grandest of the imperial baths of ancient Rome and still fairly well preserved. You could spend a little time looking around here (also near the Circus Maximus) and then get back on the next 118 bus and continue out to the Appian Way.

Just be aware that the catacombs -- there are 3 major ones that are open and visitable) have differing hours and are generally closed from noon to early afternoon. (So you may decide to do them first and then do the Baths on your way back to the train station....)

Here's a link to a site that gives some good basic info on the Appian Way. The 3 catacombs are listed in a blue box and if you click on the name, it will give you detailed information on opening hours, cost, etc. The ticket cost generally includes a tour.

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/appian_way.html

Eurocruiser already gave excellent advice on transportation. In terms of what to do or see in Rome, there are many, many options.

If you want to visit the catacombs on the Appia Antica, it is relatively easy to do it on your own since you're taking the train from Civitavecchia.

You'd just need to get off the train at the Ostiense station and look for the connected metro station, Pyramide. Outside the Pyramide station, you can take bus #118 directly out to the Appia Antica. It originates at Pyramide and it runs about every 40 minutes.

You can take it directly out to the stop near the catacombs and tomb of Cecilia Metella. OR if you are looking for something else interesting, you can get off at an earlier stop -- the Baths of Caracalla, one of the grandest of the imperial baths of ancient Rome and still fairly well preserved. You could spend a little time looking around here (also near the Circus Maximus) and then get back on the next 118 bus and continue out to the Appian Way.

Just be aware that the catacombs -- there are 3 major ones that are open and visitable) have differing hours and are generally closed from noon to early afternoon. (So you may decide to do them first and then do the Baths on your way back to the train station....)

Here's a link to a site that gives some good basic info on the Appian Way. The 3 catacombs are listed in a blue box and if you click on the name, it will give you detailed information on opening hours, cost, etc. The ticket cost generally includes a tour.

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/appian_way.html

Cruisemom,

Thanks for the great info. Besides the baths and catacombs if there is any other options that may come to mind we would be open to any recommendations. I don't know if we'll have time but we were thinking of touring the Vatican gardens. Do you know if this is worth seeing. I believe they offer a 2 hour tour.

Cheers,

JD

Being a former police officer I can tell busy driving. Lots of motorcycles cer drivers trying to get position. As you said, the driving is crazy, which can be dangerous. In fact we saw an accident while touring there. If you are not used to that heavy traffic it can be dangerous. People should be aware of that before they get in the middle of it.

Cruisemom,

Thanks for the great info. Besides the baths and catacombs if there is any other options that may come to mind we would be open to any recommendations. I don't know if we'll have time but we were thinking of touring the Vatican gardens. Do you know if this is worth seeing. I believe they offer a 2 hour tour.

Cheers,

JD

Here's a thread I started about a year ago with some other, less visited spots in Rome that are worth visiting; maybe it will give you some inspiration:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496996&highlight=rome+arches

The Vatican is in the opposite direction of the Appia Antica, so given that you're doing this on a port day with your own transportation, I probably wouldn't suggest adding it.

I've never been on the Vatican Gardens tour (just not into gardens, unless they have Roman ruins in them, lol), but many people who've done have said it is well worth it.

There are no visits to the Vatican Gardens now, they are suspended "until further notice". For those who are want to see them you'll just have to keep checking the museums's web site: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

that was my bummer that I found out a few weeks ago. I go in 25 days. But, I have found a good substitute in the evening openings of the Vatican museums, St. Pauls and the Sistine Chapel on Fridays. But, if you're on a cruise day, you won't be able to do that one, either :( Like euro cruiser says, keep checking!!

Here's a thread I started about a year ago with some other, less visited spots in Rome that are worth visiting; maybe it will give you some inspiration:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496996&highlight=rome+arches

The Vatican is in the opposite direction of the Appia Antica, so given that you're doing this on a port day with your own transportation, I probably wouldn't suggest adding it.

I've never been on the Vatican Gardens tour (just not into gardens, unless they have Roman ruins in them, lol), but many people who've done have said it is well worth it.

Cruisemom,

Thanks for info. Oh well, so that makes our decision for us on the possible Vatican gardens tour. I will read your link to other options in Rome . Thanks again for taking the time.:)

JD

Being a former police officer I can tell busy driving. Lots of motorcycles cer drivers trying to get position. As you said, the driving is crazy, which can be dangerous. In fact we saw an accident while touring there. If you are not used to that heavy traffic it can be dangerous. People should be aware of that before they get in the middle of it.

lol... this is another reason I love private tours. I like to sit back and have someone else worry about the traffic and everything else.

On the Vatican garden tour... I thought this was a big snoozer and a waste of time and money if this is your very first trip. I have been to Rome a lot and thought my mother would enjoy the tour. First off, it's not like you see a bunch of flowers or anything. There were WAY too many people and I just didn't find it that interesting. There are far better ways to spend your time on a first trip to Rome.

What you are missing is driving has significantly different cultural aspects in Europe, generally, and Italy is a great example. Americans are very structured in their driving. Red lights. Stop, Go. Right of way. Lanes.

Europeans have a less structured outlook, due in part to round abouts. It is more about relatively safe (translated- crazy road sharing) right of ways, and most importantly about keeping tarffic flowing. As long as traffic flows and no one gets hurt. Lanes mean very little. Right of way? What is that?

In America, we OWN the road. In Europe, the road is shared, as long as traffic flows, and no one gets hurt.

My experience with Romeinlimo has been nothing but excellent. Take their recommendation when they suggest a guide. We so appreciated the guide in Pompeii, the Vatican, Herculaneum. The drivers have been outstanding, they go above and beyond. We have always thought that they deserve a tip.

If you have specific questions, ask away. I'll be happy to answer.

If you post on the roll call for your cruise, I'll bet lots of people will be happy to join you for a tour. Some people worry that they will miss the ship if they take private tours, a good company like Romeinlimo would not be in business long if their clients missed the boat. They will get you back in time every time.

You will love your tour. Enjoy:):):) Alice

Halfway through Rome we changed our driver's name from Maurizio to Moses. He kept parting the seas of cars...

Halfway through Rome we changed our driver's name from Maurizio to Moses. He kept parting the seas of cars...

We had Franco the last two times in Rome and I will keep requesting him because I've never had a more calm driver. I would love to spend the weekend with him (I wonder what his rate is) :D He has fascinating stories.

My experience with Romeinlimo has been nothing but excellent. Take their recommendation when they suggest a guide. We so appreciated the guide in Pompeii, the Vatican, Herculaneum. The drivers have been outstanding, they go above and beyond. We have always thought that they deserve a tip.

If you have specific questions, ask away. I'll be happy to answer.

If you post on the roll call for your cruise, I'll bet lots of people will be happy to join you for a tour. Some people worry that they will miss the ship if they take private tours, a good company like Romeinlimo would not be in business long if their clients missed the boat. They will get you back in time every time.

You will love your tour. Enjoy:):):) Alice

I agree 100%. This is our 3rd trip in Europe within the last 7 years. We're in Europe 3 months now & being with a tour company such as RomeinLimo makes the expense worth it in terms of area coverage, knowledge gained + safety. It is their job to take you to as much sights as possible, inform you about history, provide you with professional drivers who can budget time perfectly while driving you around safely, they know where to take you for food, refreshments, shopping & washrooms!!! Save yourself the frustrations that often cause tensions & fights, buy a tour or tours. This has been the best trip we've had because I purchased tours. In Italy, so far, RomeInLimo has been the best for fine vehicles & drivers.

would like to just add my agreement with all the good comments about Romeinlimo company. I have just booked a Rome tour with them again this December which will be the 5th time we have used them. The drivers have all been amazing in their knowledge and safety even though they get closer to all the sites than anybody, they tailor the tour based on what you tell them you want to do - and then add on more which is always incredible. You will not be disappointed! Delice:)

Unfortunately I should agree with you :(

I am so thrilled with my RIL experience, I will happily book them again.

I used them to go from a hotel in Rome to the cruise port and then pick up from the cruise port to the airport.

Prompt, professional and made everything fantastic.

My dad loved the car, I loved the smooth stress free ride.