Jim and Ruth

Rutland Gate

We are both home and recovering slowely.

Ruth still has a very unsteady gaid and the four days on her back did not do her any good. I found her sitting on the kitched floor today and she just said "Shut UP and give me a hand..." She is now using her walker around the house now. I took all her canes and locked them in my office to insure that. She is just stubborn and likes to be as independent as possible. Overall she is doing real good....

I am still bored. I went down to the pharmacy and then to staples today (about 3 hours) and came home and slept for 2 1/2 hourse. I cannot get used to being this tired. I keep switching from different things so I will not get bored. Working on 2008 Taxes, Weeding flower beds out back, sorting out clothing drawers, cleaning my office. If I spend just a little time on each one it does not seem so boring.

Am not having a lot of problems with shortness of breath but if I push myself I have to sit down and rest a while. Have cut down to 1 -2 cigarettes a day but I still enjoy those good cuban cigars.

All in all we are both doing very well wnen you consider out ages and how we have burned the candles from both ends all our lives....

Thank everyone for your concerne and well wishes.

Ruth & Jim

Glad to read that you're both doing what you're supposed to be doing---even if it isn't what you want to do. Your strength will come back. It just takes time.

Hang in there.

Jim and Ruth ...

Glad to hear you are both home and recovering. I know it's tough. I'm going through a living hell with my dad right now ... same deal as you, Jim. Woke up out of a dead sleep today after hearing a crash. Found him on the kitchen floor. He's using his walker around the house now too.

Like you and Ruth, he was in the hospital for three weeks with pnemonia, so a lot of his strength has to be rebuilt.

It's tough now, but your strength will come back and Ruth's gait will improve.

You guys just make sure to take good care of each other, and I can't wait to meet and sail with you both next March on the Rotterdam!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm 8 weeks post hip relacement surgery and still getting tired easily during the day and needing to take a nap.And bored also. It takes time and patience. Every week I see a great improvement. It will come for the two of you too.

It has been moved back to the HAL board.

Thanks for the thought, but did you get interrupted? Both threads are still over at Floataway, and it's getting harder and harder to find them to check for new posts.

Please bring them back. Pleeeeze????

Thank you walt for leaving this on the main thread. You have been a gentleman every time we have delt with you.

I will post all my updates here so everyone can see them.

Mamaofami:

I know that feeling. I am so bored I am eating everything in sight and got on the scale tonight and I am down to 168.5. I have lost 9 lbs since surgery. Pretty soon I will be able to hide bu standing sideways. Thank got I don't have the joint and incisional pains associated with hip surgery. I have insignificant pain at both incisional sites.

All me pain is in my right back area over the kidney. I do not have a kidney infection or UTI. I have found out that a hot shower or using a heating pad on the area negates the pains for about 45 minutes over the treatment. I am going to get a little red wagon with a battery in it and a battery operated heating pad. To make things worse I dug out the heating pad from the closet over the weekend and found out that the cats have been using it for a litter (pee) site. That heating pad really ripens up when it heats up. Cleaned it multiple times without success. Will be getting a new one in the morning.

I tried walking around the block here, about 3/8 mile, and one of the neighbors had to drive me back as I was exausted and in a cold sweat. I am going to start tomorrow with what I tell my patients. Walk up one house and back two times a day until you are comfortable with it then add another house and another until you are doing at least a mile each time. Mabe I was giving good advise and ned to follow my own advise for a change.

FUTURE CRUISES:

We talked with Amber, our TA today, and she researched cruises on the Eurodam and Westerdam out of Ft Lauderdale in October. I don't think we are able to do all the dragging necessary to go to Quebec City an spend three days there pre cruise as we had planned. I don't want to get into any trouble that far away.

We are looking at two 7 day cruises back to back in the caribbean. It is an easy drive to Ft Lauderdale that we can do the day before we leave and we have stayed at the hotel many times and they will handle the luggage and allow us to park the car there while we are gone.

It will be an easy cruise as we have been in all the ports many times annd Ruth is looking forward to St Thoas (as usual) otherwise we will spend most of the time lounging on the verandah and relaxing - Which is something we can both use as we find too much to do around here.

We trust that everone has had a great weekend.

Talk to everyone soon. Thank you for your concerne

Ruth & Jim

Happy to hear you and Ruth are coming along, Jim.

The whole recovery thing can be frustrating and seemingly slow but we've no choice but to listen to our bodies and not push too hard. Wishing you both to feel better each day. You've lots more cruising to do. :)

Glad to hear you two are home and mending.

Hopefully each day will be better than the day past!

I continue to keep both of you in my prayers.

BTW, we are on the Eurodam on the 10/24 sailing....Give it a look.

I cannot seem to catch up with the threads either but Jim I am glad you will post to this one :)

I think it is best that you do a Caribbean B2B rather than the Montreal one. That will be much easier for you.

I know the healing process will be slow for both but soon you will be feeling great!! :)

I saw the surgeon and he is happy with the way everything is going. The groin sutures should be dissolved in 2 - 3 months. I get a CT scan in 4 weeks to check on placement of graft. Pain in groin is marginal. Still having a lot of problems with back pain, possible referred pain.... He wants me to take it easy and do not push myself. No heavy lifting (over 20 lbs) and resting a lot. I can go back to work part time in 1-2 months unless there is a problem. I am trying to do as I am told. Should have enough time to finish 2008 taxes before I go back to work part time. Yes, I did file an extension.

Ruth is doing a little better. She is able to get into the SUV by herself now. She has a new ointment to try for pain management. She has a new back brace that she is wearing part of the day. Results are unknown let. She has reset her physical theropy 2 X week for at least the net 6 weeks.....

We hape that everyone has a safe long weekend.

Over the weekend take a few minutes to remember the citizens of this country that paid the ultimate price for the freedoms that we take take for granted.

Ruth & Jim

James Vrhovac

Major USA Retired

I'm glad to find this thread again and wish you both a speedy recovery. I know it's long and boring but sounds like you're doing everything you should, it'll happen!:) My prayers for your continued recovery.

Sue

Archived