Waffles

rmpdx78

So, as far as I am concerned, HAL has the best waffles. Period. MDR, Lido or Pinnacle, they are the best. Any one have the recipe? I meant to as the concierge before we disembarked this last time but forgot. Thanks!

I don't have the recipe, but if no one has it...

I will be on the Rotterdam at the end of March and will be doing a live thread. If you remind me on that thread, I will endeavour to get the recipe for you.

Ok, let me tell you guys a Waffle secret...

In Belgium, every waffle chef and every family has their own recipe, but one thing is in common, they all have an ingredient to make the waffle as light and airy as possible on the inside, and crispy outside.

Some use soda water, yeast, bicarbonate and some use... beer 😀 ( me included, but do not tell anyone, it is a secret 🤓)

Making waffles with pancake batter will never result in good Belgian waffles.

I like waffles too but only when they are hot. I have yet to get a hot one on any HAL ship in the Pinnacle.

Sorry -- I don't have the recipe.

Just ask for a fresh one- that is what I do in the Lido. The waffle chef usually knows me after day 2, and is expecting me.

And always hot syrup!:D

You must know my father in law. Do you also prefer heated plates? As a bonus question, have you ever said that, "It's a shame to put hot food on a cold plate?" :D

And always hot syrup!:D

In one HAL dining room it took them three tries before they could even serve my waffle with syrup & butter. They kept bringing it with fruit and whipped cream, even though I ordered it without those.

At least in the Lido I can stop them before they goop it up.

Yes, please. Warm the syrup, and give me lots of butter.

I don't recall ever ordering waffles in the MDR, but I often enjoy them in the Lido Restaurant. At home, I eat them with butter and syrup; no warm fruit toppings are available. On the ship, I really enjoy them with the warm fruit toppings. Hold the whipped cream(?) please.

Not a big fan of waffles. Maybe it's because every hotel that offers a free breakfast has make-your-own waffles……

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Embassy Suites used to have the machine where you made your own -- but they have been gone for a couple of years.

So not all hotels that offer a free breakfast offer waffles you make yourself.

Of course, I am not sure, but regarding my own experience at a restaurant, I assume they use a ready made waffle mix (just add water).

Our restaurant had these "homemade" waffle cones for icecream, I baked thousands every week. Sometimes the kitchen used a wrong amount of water ( how difficult could it be to add a gallon water?) and the waffle cones was not crisp....

So, as far as I am concerned, HAL has the best waffles. Period. MDR, Lido or Pinnacle, they are the best. Any one have the recipe? I meant to as the concierge before we disembarked this last time but forgot. Thanks!

That recipe could just be in one of those HAL cookbooks, eh? ;) And yes, HAL waffles are generally good, even in the PG :cool: You know what's good also: "Poffertjes", it's a Dutch thing, mini and fluffy pancakes. One of the asst. dining room managers used to make them in the Lido of the Prinsendam on a regular basis