Your First Cruise

With so many repeat cruisers on this thread I'm curious about your first cruise.

1. What do you remember most about your first cruise? What made it special?

2. What makes you keep cruising?

3 What is it about RCI that makes you return to their ships time and again?

With so many repeat cruisers on this thread I'm curious about your first cruise.

Seeing you're in Australia, give back Voyager! She was our first cruise. I'm glad I cruised once back in 2006. The cutbacks since then make it seem less special but its still a decent value and we still enjoy it.

Our very first cruise was not on Royal but Hal's Volendam to Bermuda in 1979 for our honeymoon. We fell in love with cruising then but 2 children and a mortgage put a halt on a repeat cruise. After annual vacations geared for our kids, our younger son suggested a cruise in 1997 and we have sailed at least once a year since that time. We didn't start off on Royal at first, we cruised Celebrity 5x before booking VOS in 1993 . TBH, I didn't care for Royal on that sailing due to a number of factors but since my sons loved it, we gave it a 2nd chance on AOS the following year and I was hooked.

We've sailed Voyager, Adventure, Explorer ( numerous times) , Serenade and Quantum.

My kids who are now adults tell us they have the best memories on our cruises and still are willing to travel with us.

Up next is Brilliance to the Med next year. 😃

What made it special to me is I'd waited for years to cruise b/c my husband said "I'm going to be bored", Then we sailed on Mariner of the Seas and the crew members we're so nice, the entertainment was great, the ship was great and it gave my husband and myself a time to just be free w/o the kids w/o a worry in the world. We started out w/ an inside cabin for about 424.00 each for 7 days and with entertainment, food, different places to see, etc. that's not a bad deal. Now, we've cruised many many times. I will say RCCL does have the "Wow" factor. We went on Princess and I was a little bored and the crew members acted like they hated their jobs (But not all of them). I would hate it if Princess was my first cruise.

It was a coincidence that my first cruise was with RCCL 'Sovereign of the Seas' Easter Caribbean cruise back in 1996 - an offer for a cruise from my local airline Scandinavian Airlines for air miles.

- but on that trip, I was convinced that cruising was a good way of seeing the world - while good service of good food, it was possible to get to a lot of interesting places - now 23 cruises later - in Addition to Southern, Western and Eastern Caribbean , I have been on cruises to South America, Hawaii, Panama and the Suez canal, Dubai, China, Asia, Singapore, Komodo islands, the Galapagos Islands, the Mediterranean , Baltic Sea, the Norwegian fjords and Transatlantic - sailed with all RCCL ship classes. A total 20 RCCL and 3 Celebrity Cruises. For the future I will likely be at two to three cruises every year - so far two cruises planned.

1987. RCCL Sun Viking. DH, 2DD, and me in inside cabin for 4 . Only 2 at a time could dress because bunk beds took up all space. Curtain over closet and clothes on hangers swing out with motion of ship. All meals served in one DR. 4 courses and sides of vegetables dished to plate by waiter. Best most exciting cruise of all 20+ cruises I have taken. Still love to cruise!

My parents were avid cruisers. Over their married life, I think they went on more than 50 of them, mostly on HAL. I always thought that it would be too expensive to take a cruise, without even looking into it, especially with a young child. Once I did and found how how it really is cheaper than any other type of vacation, I was sold. My daughter spent her 8th and 10th birthday on cruises (both on Princess) and is now 26 and will be going on her 10th with us and her boyfriend next May on Navigator, leaving from Southampton. It'll be DH and my 12th.

Once I retire, hopefully in 5 years, I plan to do more than 1 a year and hope to some day reach my parents milestone.

Once we tried RCI, we were sold and since we're diamond, try to stay with them. We love the activities they have as well as their ships.

Our first cruise was an 11 night Caribbean on Splendor and my husband and I both instantly fell in love with cruising!:D I came home from that cruise determined to book another one. 35 cruises (plus one on Celebrity) later, we still love it. Our next cruise is the Serenade TA in August and I am counting down the days!:D

Sherri:)

Our first cruise was a 4 night on Carnival Fantasy and it got us hooked. The thing I remember most was how relaxing it was. I also remember finding out I get seasick lol so now I go already having started taking meds. It's when we decided that 4 days was way too short.

After our first RCI cruise, we decided we liked it better than Carnival so we kept coming back.

Mariner of the Seas, 2006, eastern Caribbean. I have my parents to thank for taking us on this trip. :) I remember the excellent service by all the crew, especially in the MDR. They treated our daughters like princesses.

I also remember waking up very early the first morning and seeing my husband out on the balcony just standing at the railing taking it all in.

Our first cruise was with NCL out of Charleston SC. We had heard good things about both RCI and NCL, but decided on NCL because of price. We had an excellent time but were looking for more, so within a week of being home from the cruise, we booked Royal and knew that was the cruise line for us ! We still venture out to other lines, but always return to Royal !

Edited by RCI Cruisers 004

1. 2009 Adventure, I remember being greeted by the crew and staff like I was the first person ever to board the ship.

2. The ocean. I love the sea! And still best bang for the buck.

3. Although, (unfortunately ) the crew is not as vibrant and as welcoming as believe they used to be, they are far friendlier and better than their counterparts on at least the two other lines I have cruised on.

3b. The ships. Perfect mix between activities and elegace. Which consequently brings the right mix of passengers, young and older.

Our very first cruise was on the Legend of the Sea.. out of Tampa 2005 right after the back to back to back hurricanes..

We had to tender to all the islands and most were destroyed.

The wave were going over our balcony too.

my TA offered us an "owner's suite" had no idea what is was or the perks..

for such a good deal.

Now yrs later we have been on 17+ cruises from Princess, Carnival, Royal and one not so good mcs.

Best vacation for your money..

1. Voyager - 8/2003 - 30th wedding anniversary - it was an amazing experience

2. Still cruise because each cruise is still an amazing experience - love the ocean, the people, the food, the sun and new/re-visited ports

3. I've never had a bad experience with RCI -

Our first cruise was a 7 night on Majesty in 1995, Western Caribbean. We have remained loyal to Royal. The minute we step onboard RCI ships, we feel at home. Sure some things have changed but so does everything in life - you adjust. We are comfortable and we get to see the world. That's always a plus in my book! :D

Our first cruise was in the 80's, Sovereign of the seas. We had a great time but decided cruising wasn't for us, so for almost 20 years we vacationed to different islands at all inclusive resorts. Then my husband wanted to go to Alaska so we decided to cruise there, well, the rest is history and we have been cruising every year for about 13 years now.

Marg

Sovereign of the Seas, July 14, 1990...then it was the largest cruise ship on the seas.

1. What do you remember most about your first cruise?

I remember that one of our servers, Costa, liked me a LOT. He slipped a note into my menu near the last night of the cruise asking me to meet him near the crew's quarters later that night. He had no idea that was only 18 years old.

What made it special?

It was an unexpected trip for my parents and myself. Some work friends on my Mom's had a group rate for the cruise...a couple backed out and if we hadn't taken their place, they would have lost their group rate. The sheer "newness" of the cruising experience is what made it special.

Generally, it's the ease of the vacation. Compared to other land-based vacations of the same length, there isn't nearly as much planning involved in a cruise vacation. There IS research, but not the need to have as much of a set plan for each day's activities.

I don't always sail Royal. Other than the physical differences of their ships (and the resulting different experience because of design and offering based on the ships), I don't find anything unique about Royal compared to the other cruise lines. There are times when the sailing is worth the cost and that is what is attractive about choosing Royal.

Our first cruise in 2002 was on the old Sea Princess for a 10 day Mexican Riviera. We thought at that time the ship was beautiful, then boarded the Brilliance of the Seas two yrs later and have been with Royal ever since. Meeting new friends and having a wonderful cruise kept us coming back to cruising. For us, the Ports and people we meet make our cruises, each ship is an individual with differant crew so don't fault the line for a less then perfect sailing.

My first cruise was my honeymoon on the Enchantment in 2003. The thing I remember most was waking up the very first morning as we were pulling into St Thomas. I was just astounded by how beautiful everything was. It was my first time in the Caribbean. But then kids came along and vacations became taking them to Florida to visit the grandparents.

It was 5 years before we tried cruising again and only because it was a gift from my husband's boss. It was our first opportunity to get away for a few days without our kids. That 5-day Carnival cruise got us hooked. We realized how great cruising could be for families. Now we cruise at least twice a year -- once as a family and once as a couple.

We haven't been back to RCCL since our honeymoon in 2003. It just never was the best itinerary for the best price at the time we were looking to go. But we will be back in August! I can't wait!

My first royal cruise will be tomorrow...I'm very excited. Eos to the fjords.

First cruise was Ocean village (part of p & o) in 04. A back to back Caribbean. It was called the cruise for people that don't do cruises.

Loved the service, food, facilities and most of all the ability to explore a different place every day. A ship really feels like home. We love p and o and Thompson cruises but have heard so much about royal we have decided to give it a go.

What keeps us returning in the fact that we always enjoy our time on a ship, it's what we call an easy holiday and no matter where we go, or who we cruise with, we seem to come back eager to save up for the next one.

I went on my first cruise on a really boring ship and DID NOT like it. It was so boring we disembarked three days before the end of the cruise and did the rest by train. I hated having fixed meal times and nothing to do in between (it was a cruise that started in Australia and ended in Japan, we had a lot of sea days and we were by far the youngest people on board). I swore never to go back.

My husband had always been a ship fanatic, and had been cruising since he was a little kid. It took him 6 years to convince me to try another cruise, our first Royal cruise. This was in 2006 and we are now diamond plus members. Even I love Royal because there is so much to do and the ships are so huge you can get away or participate, whatever you feel like doing. Now I love cruises with sea days because you finally get the feeling you can get caught up on all the things you could not do during port days.

We are always considering different cruise lines because Royal does not do embarkation anywhere in France, others have embarkation in a port only 1 hour away from us, but we always end up caving in and going back to Royal. Maybe they put something in the water that makes you hooked?

After an expensive Mexican resort vacation in 2002 with extremely bad weather for the whole week, we decided to try cruising. We figured the weather wouldn't be bad at all the ports if we were cruising. Being totally green to cruising, we let our TA handle all the arrangements. She suggested Voyager of the Seas. Great choice! We went in October 2003. One balcony cabin for myself, DH and our two kids. At that time they were too young for their own cabin but that was the only time all four of us were in one cabin. I had just become aware of Cruise Critic and brought an over the door shoe organizer. That was a lifesaver. We also took the red eye flight arriving at the cruise terminal at 10am the day of the cruise. Have never done that since as it took us two days to recover.

So after 8 Royal Caribbean cruises, we have never encountered bad weather, only missed one port due to wind, and always fly in a day or two before the cruise. It is truly addicting.

Our first cruise was way back in 1971 onboard Home Lines Oceanic, New York to Nassau (where we had honeymooned the year before). I remember thinking it was expensive but worth every dollar.

So many things made it special, starting with the Bon Voyage party where friends and family were allowed onboard before sail away. The food! I'm talking quality, quantity and presentation. Each night's dinner had a different theme with beautiful artistic menus. The lavish midnight buffets were followed by 2:00am pizza buffets for the night owls. The entertainment, which seems rather tame now but was ten times better than what you could find on the island back then. The outstanding service and personal attention. Dressing up every night. A bygone era.

Short answer: The sea. It calls to me.

Long answer: I think cruising provides the best value for our vacation dollars. We are raising our grandson and cruising allows us to not only spend quality time together but quality time APART. We can each choose to do different things, partake in different activities, or just relax and watch the sea go by.

First, their ships. Love the voyager and above classes and all the amenities they offer for both adults and children. After our first RCI sailing on Navigator, our grandson had no desire to go back to DCL.

Second, fear of the unknown. The other lines also have ships now that are geared toward families but I am hesitant to gamble our vacation dollars. Despite RCI's nonsense BOGO pricing, I feel I got good prices on our upcoming cruises. That said, RCI's pretty much non-existent teen program and cuts in service and food quality may be the push I need to book elsewhere if the price is right.

~ Judy