Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

My 1st NW cruise is fast approaching.

When I have sailed on Carnival I would watch a handful of chairs with towels "reserving" them.

If I was certain the occupants did not return in at least 45 minutes I Took the towels to whoever was working the area and claim the chairs for myself and spouse.

Many times the hogs did not even return while I was using the chairs.

The few times they did return and tell me they had reserved the chairs I told them exactly what I had done.

I never had any type of confrontation because of this

So, my question is " Will this also work on NW? and if not why not?

I don't have your answer but would like to add to your question: why isn't the cruise line dealing with the problem? It shouldn't be up to the guest to have to police this sort of thing.

Makes me glad we're going north and so won't have to deal with it, but that may not always be the case.

NW? Do you mean NCL?

Assuming so -- first of all, it's 60 minutes on NCL. (At least it was on the Jewel two weeks ago.) Most important, I would not touch anything anyone had left on a lounger. If you think someone has exceeded the time limit, find a crew member and tell them, and let them handle it.

Take care though; towels are one thing but personal items are totally different. I used to walk round the promenade deck about 6.30 am and there were lots of chairs with stuff on. If I was walking again at 9am and the stuff was still there looking as it did earlier I would have a word with customer services. Let the staff deal with it but do keep informing them; do NOT moan.

NW? Do you mean NCL?

Assuming so -- first of all, it's 60 minutes on NCL. (At least it was on the Jewel two weeks ago.) Most important, I would not touch anything anyone had left on a lounger. If you think someone has exceeded the time limit, find a crew member and tell them, and let them handle it.

Yes, I mean Norwegian

Depends on how big you are. If no one has been there for awhile, I pull the the towels off and sit down. No one rarely says anything to me ... a few sighs and mutters, but I usually have ear buds in and sun glasses on. Remember, sticks and stones, but if you get hit first, then you get to hit back. :) Let em yell ... that is all they are gonna do.

Chair hogs are NOT just a cruise ship problem...go to ANY resort hotel....there will be loungers covered with everything EXCEPT a person by 6am.....

Generally, it's not a huge problem unless there are NO other loungers anywhere. Seldom is there a reason to be within splashing distance of the pool. There are usually plenty of chairs on the deck above the pool...and you'll have MUCH more space! The loungers by the pool are so close together, that you have to CRAWL onto them...not a pretty sight!

If you can't find ANY empty seat...talk to a pool employee..and they will find you a place!

Unless I am going to be in the pool....not likely if it's crowded ( community bathtub ), then I have no need to be lounging by the pool. I'd much rather find a lounger up top facing the ocean where it's peaceful. But if you want to be by the pool then it's every man for himself there I think.

Years and years ago...like 30 years ago hubby and I had our honeymoon on the Atlantic ( it's no longer in service )....... on the first day of the cruise you went to the customer service desk and got "assigned" a lounge chair that you paid for. You had no say in where it was placed...you took what they gave you. Our's was on the back of the ship with no sun due to an overhang....and no view of the ocean due to the railing that was solid not plexiglass. There was no where else to lounge...you had to walk around if you wanted to view the ocean etc. So we used it once for 15 minutes. LOL That was our first cruise and I am really surprised we ever cruised again cause due to many other issues, it was not a fun week.

If I was certain the occupants did not return in at least 45 minutes I Took the towels to whoever was working the area and claim the chairs for myself and spouse.

On NCL, guests have 1 hour. Even if it is more than 1 hour guests do not have the right to remove other people's property.

Seldom is there a reason to be within splashing distance of the pool. There are usually plenty of chairs on the deck above the pool...and you'll have MUCH more space! The loungers by the pool are so close together, that you have to CRAWL onto them...not a pretty sight!

For some strange reason, people feel that the chairs by the pool are "better". IDK why they feel that way. There are people who have a chair further away from the pool who will sit and watch in hopes of pouncing on a closer chair. It doesn't make sense.

Just let staff know if you see towels that have not been touched for over 40min. They are supposed to remove them every once in a while, I think it's supposed to be around 45min. to an hour.

It's usually an hour. The dailies will state the amount of time that unattended items can be left.

No matter how self empowered you think you are, you should never touch any one else's property. Even if it is a pool towel that they are personally responsible for.

Property left shall be given to a member of staff, I think. I should appreciate it if someone gave something I had left somewhere to a member of staff because then I could get it back.

People shall never take other peoples things but I think that it's a good thing to give left belongings to a member of staff.

So if you are a big person you have the right to move other people's stuff as you please. Wow really?

I am a big person, and by big, i mean, not fat at all, and, i probably weigh around 240 lbs. so, i have removed stuff that was left on a chair for more than an hour, many times before. and if i offended a snowflake along the way, so be it...

you can go collect your participation trophy along with your belongings at the towel deck.

and it is called respect, surely, if we have to respect you and your belongings, than you can respect me in return for removing them, after you went awol for an hour.

I have personal experience where staff refuses to get involved. So, after waiting 2 hours for a chair in the shade, I throw the towels on the floor and sit down. No one is entitled to hog chairs for that long a period. Have I been confronted? Sure. I just tell them staff did that. Let them complain. Who cares?

Do people honestly sit and watch chairs for an hour? :confused:

Is it more like "...they probably have been gone for an hour so I'll move their things and take the chair..."?

I also don't understand the people who wake up at 6am just to get a chair near the pool. All of the chairs are equally uncomfortable so why not just get a chair in a less hectic area?

I think that there is a psychological component to "the hunt". There seems to be a feeling of "accomplishment" by people who either...

A) Get one of the "good" chairs before anyone else can get one.

B) Capture one of the prized chairs that has been left "unattended".

For some reason, I think of Milton from "Office Space" whenever someone feels proud of himself/herself for capturing one of the prized chairs...

original.jpg

I understand that some need to be near the pool to watch their children but most people near the pool are just "people-watching" or want to be seen as a "chair victor" for getting one of the coveted chairs.

This has to be the most insane topic I have come across. There is not a chance in hell I am going to let a chair, or people hogging chairs, bother me while I am on vacation. I will find another chair and place to sit and go about having a good time. I spent way too much money and effort on this upcoming vacation to worry about a CHAIR!!!! 25 days and counting until our trip on the Epic.