New Navigator and Admiral Wine Packages

SJSULIBRARIAN

My DW and I attend a monthly wine tasting here in Charlotte put on by a very good wine retailer. We took him the HAL wine list, and had him pick out acceptable (and acceptably priced) red wines. He only marked six wines: Meridian Pinot Noir; Santa Christina Antinori, Sangiovese, Italy; Perrin Reserves, Cotes de Rhone; Marques de Caceres, Roja, Spain; Robert Mondavi Merlot; and Genoc Cabernet Savignon.

A couple of the whites are familiar and good. The Caliterra Savignon Blanc, Chile is a good value.

Forearmed with good data, we are ready to imbibe!:D

Well, I thank you for this information that I will record for my own use.

But, I have my skeptic hat on currently and am wondering if those were the wines that he or his distributor had for sale as compared to the others.

In looking at the indulgences on the HAL website for a cruise we have in November, I did notice the wine packages I have listed on the initial post of this thread are listed there. So I guess the HAL website has now caught up with what's happening on the ships.

Oct 3, 2014: Just off the Westerdam where we experienced the new packages. Different wines, but the package prices remain the same. The new listing posted in this tread is correct. We tried the TORO DE PIEDRA Cab, which was fine as well as the FRESCOBALDI REMOLE and CHATEAU DES TROIS TOURS, which were also OK and about what you'd expect from a "good" wine in the $10 price range ....if you were buying these at COSTCO or TRADER JOES. I did a quick price check on all the Navigator Red Wine Packages and $10 is the average price you'd expect to pay for any of these ashore.

Thank you for the information, is the anyone with sufficient wine knowledge to make out if there is a comparable wine in the Navigator White wine package, that is similar to the “Robert Mondavi Private Selection - Riesling – CA”, that was in the old package.

We like a fruity, sweeter wine!

We are not 4 star (yet), so that rules out the complamantary tasting!

New selections:

White Wine

Piedra Megra Torrontes, Argentina

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Danzante Moscato, Italy

Edited by Alphen

• 2 years later...

Since the last posting in 2014, the prices for the offerings have increased:

Admiral package - 3 btl. $136.85 ($45.62/btl.)

Admiralpackage - 5 btl. $228.85 ($45.77/btl.)

Admiral package - 7 btl. $309.35 ($44.19/btl.)

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay,

Grace Lane Riesling,

Estancia Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir,

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc,

Franciscan "Equilibrium" WhiteBlend,

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay,

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay,

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon,

Wente "Sandstone" Merlot

Wente "Beyer Ranch" Zinfandel,

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti,

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon

Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec.

Navigator pkg. - 3 btl. $102.35 ($34.12/btl.)

Navigator pkg. - 5 btl. $171.35 ($34.27/btl.)

Navigator pkg. - 7 btl. $228.85 ($32.69/btl.)

Piedra Negra Torrontes,

Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato,

Caliterra Chardonnay,

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay,

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc,

Puerto Viejo Carmenere,

Frescobaldi Remole,

Chateau des Trois Tours Brodeaux,

Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir,

Los Riscos Merlot,

Tapena Tempranillo

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon.

Edited by MmmMango
configuration

We are just off the Rotterdam (Voyage of the Vikings Cruise) last Saturday. Towards the end of our cruise, our ship had run out of many of the wine selections on both packages (they did substitute if asked). Our wine Steward told us that it was because HAL was revamping the wine packages after our cruise. He did not have any details regarding selection and price...other then saying they would still have packages.

Hank

We are just off the Rotterdam (Voyage of the Vikings Cruise) last Saturday. Towards the end of our cruise, our ship had run out of many of the wine selections on both packages (they did substitute if asked). Our wine Steward told us that it was because HAL was revamping the wine packages after our cruise. He did not have any details regarding selection and price...other then saying they would still have packages.

Hank

I have encountered instances when my preferred wines in the package I purchased had been totally consumed. I was also offered substitutes which were of a better quality than what was in the package. Doing so helps to make me a happy HAL cruiser.

I have encountered instances when my preferred wines in the package I purchased had been totally consumed. I was also offered substitutes which were of a better quality than what was in the package. Doing so helps to make me a happy HAL cruiser.

On a longer cruise (35 days) 2 years ago, when some wines ran out on the Admiral Pacakage, they started out by offering substitutes of their choice and then just gave up and said we could pick any wine off the regular wine list that was $45 or less. Worked out quite well at 50% off :D

I am looking at a Wine Package menu that I "borrowed" from HAL several years ago. The pricing for each level is exactly the same as the new pricing. And, interestingly enough, the prices for these packages have remained the same for many years.

It is a little unfortunate when people immediately jump to a conclusion that HAL has raised the price on something. This simply not the case in this instance. The pricing, especially at the 4/5 Star level seems to me to be quite reasonable. Looking forward to consuming, and enjoying, quite a few bottles with dinner.

I am looking at a Wine Package menu that I "borrowed" from HAL several years ago. The pricing for each level is exactly the same as the new pricing. And, interestingly enough, the prices for these packages have remained the same for many years.

It is a little unfortunate when people immediately jump to a conclusion that HAL has raised the price on something. This simply not the case in this instance. The pricing, especially at the 4/5 Star level seems to me to be quite reasonable. Looking forward to consuming, and enjoying, quite a few bottles with dinner.

Umm - did you see the post below?

I can assure you this a jump in price. It is NOT the price we paid in April/May this year.

Say what you want but I know what I paid.

Navigator pack was just under $200

And Admiral under $300.

I have no qualms about price increases - just don't deny it has happened.

;p

Since the last posting in 2014, the prices for the offerings have increased:

Admiral package - 3 btl. $136.85 ($45.62/btl.)

Admiralpackage - 5 btl. $228.85 ($45.77/btl.)

Admiral package - 7 btl. $309.35 ($44.19/btl.)

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay,

Grace Lane Riesling,

Estancia Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir,

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc,

Franciscan "Equilibrium" WhiteBlend,

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay,

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay,

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon,

Wente "Sandstone" Merlot

Wente "Beyer Ranch" Zinfandel,

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti,

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon

Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec.

Navigator pkg. - 3 btl. $102.35 ($34.12/btl.)

Navigator pkg. - 5 btl. $171.35 ($34.27/btl.)

Navigator pkg. - 7 btl. $228.85 ($32.69/btl.)

Piedra Negra Torrontes,

Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato,

Caliterra Chardonnay,

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay,

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc,

Puerto Viejo Carmenere,

Frescobaldi Remole,

Chateau des Trois Tours Brodeaux,

Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir,

Los Riscos Merlot,

Tapena Tempranillo

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon.

I should have added that those prices are inclusive of the 15%. I had looked at the pamphlet that was provided onboard and the prices were less....only because they hadn't added in the 15%. Either way, they work out to the same numbers, and are in USD, btw.

I have only been able to find about 5 of the listed wines here in B.C. and at different locations too, just to make it a chore to go hunting them down, lol. Perhaps you'll have better luck with the LCBO!

Curious to find out from the CC folks what those wines price out at from their local stores. For instance, Frescobaldi Chianti is $14.49 CAD at our local store, but Wente Sandstone Merlot is $24.49, and Decero is $30.05. So prices definitely vary. So many more are easily found in the US. I tried to hunt them down when there, but sometimes, y'know, spirits trumped wine :D . I did like the Nobilo, Spellbound, Danzante, & Dreaming Tree, but I am far from a wine connoiseur so don't send me walking the plank, please. :)

We schlepp enough stuff that I can't add much wine to the burden. A couple bottles of fizz for balcony consumption is all we take on board.

The mariner discounts make the wine packages more attractive. We just hit 4 star, so I'm looking forward to the discount on our next cruise. We liked the Wente merlot, loved the Spellbound. For whites we had the Nobilo and the French chardonnay.

On our last two cruises, everything on the package list was available. On an earlier cruise, there were a lot of substitutions so I always ask about that before I book a package.

I'm disappointed that I could only find three of the Admirals package bottles at the LCBO (the only liquor store in Ontario Canada). I had hoped to try more than that before my next cruise. None of the three are American wines (it was the chianti, the Decero, and the Nobilo).

Interesting thread as we are onboard next April in Alaska and do enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner. Despite not cruising with HAL for more than 3 years, I was pleased to see that I am a 3-star Mariner and that gives me 25% off the two quoted wine packages, but with 15% surcharge on the full price if I understand correctly. If I pre-purchase the package, will I get my discount and can I avoid the surcharge by buying ahead as you can on a lot of cruise lines.

Many thanks.

Rob

Interesting thread as we are onboard next April in Alaska and do enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner. Despite not cruising with HAL for more than 3 years, I was pleased to see that I am a 3-star Mariner and that gives me 25% off the two quoted wine packages, but with 15% surcharge on the full price if I understand correctly. If I pre-purchase the package, will I get my discount and can I avoid the surcharge by buying ahead as you can on a lot of cruise lines.

Many thanks.

Rob

You are right about the 15%. You pay the surcharge on the full amount but pay the discounted amount for the wine. The online prices look higher because they include the 15% in the price you see.

I don't see why you wouldn't get your discount for prepaying. I've prebooked Pinnacle and received the discount. We paid the full price when we booked it and the discount appeared as a small OBC. I believe the discount on the wine would be treated the same way. Because of the possibility of substitutions (and often to use promotion OBC), we wait until we are on board to purchase wine packages.

I should have added that those prices are inclusive of the 15%. I had looked at the pamphlet that was provided onboard and the prices were less....only because they hadn't added in the 15%. Either way, they work out to the same numbers, and are in USD, btw.

I have only been able to find about 5 of the listed wines here in B.C. and at different locations too, just to make it a chore to go hunting them down, lol. Perhaps you'll have better luck with the LCBO!

Curious to find out from the CC folks what those wines price out at from their local stores. For instance, Frescobaldi Chianti is $14.49 CAD at our local store, but Wente Sandstone Merlot is $24.49, and Decero is $30.05. So prices definitely vary. So many more are easily found in the US. I tried to hunt them down when there, but sometimes, y'know, spirits trumped wine :D . I did like the Nobilo, Spellbound, Danzante, & Dreaming Tree, but I am far from a wine connoiseur so don't send me walking the plank, please. :)

One must be careful when pricing out wines from specific Wine Houses. For example, Decero makes quite a few different wines of varying prices. So the Decero Cabernet in the wine package is not the $30 wine you saw on a list, but rather their basic cabernet that usually sells for about $12-$14 (US). And keep in mind that the prices you see in large wine stores are retail prices with all taxes (some of which need not be paid by a cruise line). And regarding Canadian wines, they are often less expensive in parts of the USA then they are when we purchase them in their home Provinces...due to taxes.

Hank

Here are the wines available in the new Wine Packages. I don't recall the old prices so don't know if these are higher. The regular wine menu has some new choices as does the Pinnacle Grill. The usual 15% gratuity applies to the full price no matter the discount for 3, 4, and 5 star Mariners.

What were the changes in the PG, particularly the reds?

Thanks for posting the new list. I read it over and looked up the wines. I must say that I am very excited! Excited that I live in Fort Lauderdale and can bring my own wine & pay corkage. ;)

What would you substitute from Total Wine?

Three reds and two chardonnays keeping each under $30?

What would you substitute from Total Wine?

Three reds and two chardonnays keeping each under $30?

So, five bottles and a $150 total upper limit? Honestly, there are too many choices. What do you like in the way of reds?