Cove balconies effectively make a ship have a dangerously low freeboard

ren0312

Has anybody though of the fact that cove balconies may allow seawater to enter the ship in very rough seas? Basically since they are located only a few decks above the waterline a wave can enter through the cove balcony and then enter the ship, and in the process it can also sweep people back out to sea, also if your have very rough seas in a freak storm, a ship will not have to tilt very far on either side for the sea water to simply go into the ship through the cove balconies. Basically with cove balconies the level at which sea water can enter the ship in large quantities in a very bad storm is 2 decks lower.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=cove+balcony+carnival&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQj93rweLMAhXCq6YKHTx2ANQQsAQIKA&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=cr6BFX2tOk-1SM%3A

Edited by ren0312

The ships are very well designed. If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't happen. The ships go around storms these days. I have been in 17 foot seas on the Fantasy (smallest class of ship) and it wasn't that bad.

You would be talking about a major storm. Ships don't sail through those.

If the seas are really rough the cove balcony doors are closed with a watertight sealed metal door. They have done this a few times. This way no water enters the cabin. I really can't see people being swept out to sea. It would take a large wave coming out of nowhere to cause this to happen.

Has anybody though of the fact that cove balconies may allow seawater to enter the ship in very rough seas? Basically since they are located only a few decks above the waterline a wave can enter through the cove balcony and then enter the ship, and in the process it can also sweep people back out to sea, also if your have very rough seas in a freak storm, a ship will not have to tilt very far on either side for the sea water to simply go into the ship through the cove balconies. Basically with cove balconies the level at which sea water can enter the ship in large quantities in a very bad storm is 2 decks lower.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=cove+balcony+carnival&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQj93rweLMAhXCq6YKHTx2ANQQsAQIKA&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=cr6BFX2tOk-1SM%3A

Maybe in a Hollywood movie. Could be a script idea for "Poseidon Adventure 3".

If the seas are really rough the cove balcony doors are closed with a watertight sealed metal door. They have done this a few times. This way no water enters the cabin. I really can't see people being swept out to sea. It would take a large wave coming out of nowhere to cause this to happen.

Didn't know that, I thought it was just a glass door.

Edited by ren0312

You think the naval architects who designed the ships took this into account and made appropriate design decisions? No that would be what an intelligent engineer would do and we all know that ship designers are anything but intelligent.

OP should probably avoid ships that have cove balconies.

Just curious if you have a background in naval architecture or marine engineering? I'm certain those who design these ships do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Please tell me your definition of "dangerously low freeboard". And can you give me the dimensions of the height between the cove balconies and the ship's certified load line?

Did you think that these balconies were just a wild idea of Carnival's or are the IMO, the classification societies, and even the USCG (as port state authority) totally ignorant of ship design or is it a major conspiracy?

Please tell me your definition of "dangerously low freeboard". And can you give me the dimensions of the height between the cove balconies and the ship's certified load line?

Did you think that these balconies were just a wild idea of Carnival's or are the IMO, the classification societies, and even the USCG (as port state authority) totally ignorant of ship design or is it a major conspiracy?

I'm thinking this may be a short lived thread by the OP as in checking their other threads, many of the OP's themes are similar to this with one or two responses to the original provocative comment and then off to another.

Don't you think the marine engineers who designed the ships might be aware of the concept of freeboard? It seems that Queen Mary 2, which was designed for regular (often stormy) North Atlantic service has similar "through the hull balconies" -- I'm shocked, shocked!

I'm thinking this may be a short lived thread by the OP as in checking their other threads, many of the OP's themes are similar to this with one or two responses to the original provocative comment and then off to another.

Post history shows that the OP has moved on to the "dangers" of desalinated water on hair and the "evils" of genetically modified food on cruise ships. Sometimes I wonder way some posters don't just vacation on land where they will have none of these things to worry and complain about .:confused:

Post history shows that the OP has moved on to the "dangers" of desalinated water on hair and the "evils" of genetically modified food on cruise ships. Sometimes I wonder way some posters don't just vacation on land where they will have none of these things to worry and complain about .:confused:

....just like to stir the pot to get responses to their thread. :rolleyes: Maybe they work for an all inclusive....:D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I took a look at his posts: wow! He does not seem to be a happy cruiser type of person, rather someone who would be happier at some Vegas hotel, many hundreds of miles from the nearest salt water.

Yippy! Now the cove balcony prices will drop and we can get them!:D

What is a co ve balcony. what shiph HAve them?

They are available on the newest Carnival ships. They are located on a lower deck, and therefore closer to the waterline than balcony rooms typically are. Would love to sail in one to have the closer connection to the water. They are also fairly closed in and so are good for those who like their balcony covered.

You really have a strange mind.

By the way, my answer is no.

how much freeboard is required to be 'safe'

smaller ships sail rougher seas with less freeboard

I sailed this one in the winter in the Bearing Sea .... 45 foot seas for days at a time ....

munro.jpg

freeboard less than the average cruise ship

OR

wanna see pics from my "low deck" balcony on QM2

100_0076_zpsxufvffkg.jpg

how much freeboard is required to be 'safe'

smaller ships sail rougher seas with less freeboard

I sailed this one in the winter in the Bearing Sea .... 45 foot seas for days at a time ....

munro.jpg

freeboard less than the average cruise ship

OR

wanna see pics from my "low deck" balcony on QM2

100_0076_zpsxufvffkg.jpg

Just like what we had on QM2 --- still a lot higher that the main deck on my DE.