Why do you cruise to the same places?

pbnjrockette

There was a time when we did all types of land vacations in many places of the world. And we selected cruises with different itineraries.

Now with declining health along with having to limit where we fly, we have no choice but to do the same cruises.

There was a time when we did 4, 5 even 6 cruises a year -- nothing under 14 days. Now we are lucky to do 2 cruises a year.

This year we will only do one cruise as we are tired of the same ports.

For us, it's simple. Our disposable income isn't bottomless. If it was, we would go all over the world. Since we're desperate to get out of the Michigan winter and we love to cruise the Caribbean, we keep doing it. As long as we're enjoying ourselves we will keep sailing there

Once is never enough when it comes to cruising. So much to see and so little port time to check them all out. These days, I've found going back to some ports twice may still not be enough.

Edited by sfaaa

It's not so much "been there, done that" as the fact that I have a very long bucket list and limited time on this earth. :D

Agree. As a previous land travelers in Europe, I used to think Western Mediterranean cruises were useless for visiting the countries. But, we're planning our third WM this summer. We're going to visit some new places that are a PITA to hit on a land trip (Portofino and Palma) filling in sites we missed on land Cinque Terre and St. Paul de Vence). Then, we'll extend the trip to visit some other places not reachable on a cruise day (Bologna, Lake Como and Milan). So, I'm a happy camper booking a cruise to the same old countries with some new ports.

If I chose an excursion in a port, I see that during my hours in port, and that's it. So I cant see everything on an island or country in one trip.

I giggle when I read that someone has been to Nassau, and they don't get off the ship anymore. I've been several times, been to Blackbeards Cay, Blue Lagoon, had two beach days at Melia, and last time, we wandered to the pirate museum and to the churches (it was pouring), I've only stayed on board once, it was pouring, and I was cruising on my own. Didn't want to leave my nice dry spot.

Folks cruise to Prgreso and think that this is the worse port in the world, while hundreds flock off the ship, board buses and see Mayan ruins, which is why they cruise there.

The more you cruise, the more you find what makes you happy on the ship. We used to be glued to the lido deck, but hated the noise, now we spend more time on the serenity deck, and the water parks.

I giggle when I read that someone has been to Nassau, and they don't get off the ship anymore. I've been several times, been to Blackbeards Cay, Blue Lagoon, had two beach days at Melia, and last time, we wandered to the pirate museum and to the churches....

Folks cruise to Progresso and think that this is the worse port in the world, while hundreds flock off the ship, board buses and see Mayan ruins, which is why they cruise there.

If Nassau and Progresso were in my back yard, I'd close the drapes

ANYWHERE In the Caribbean is great for us--we want warm weather & lots of beaches!

Some places we have found beaches we LOVE & will go there every time.

Some places we are still checking things out.

Sometimes we stay on the nearly deserted ship & feel like celebrities with all the attention.

We rarely choose a cruise based on specific ports. I am always just looking for the best value for our desires.

Hi, you said exactly what I would have said.....we only go to the Caribbean....just love it and partly the cost...we live in FL.

No two cruises to the same destination are ever identical. The food, weather, people you talk to, what you see ashore, and many many other things are different every time. On one cruise you may see a spectacular sunset, while on another cruise to the same place you may not see a sunset at all but you may be treated to a wonderful display of dolphins playing in the wake of the ship. It's never the same.

For me, I repeat cruise to Norway (more than a dozen times) because, to me, it's the most beautiful place on earth and never grows stale. Other places, I like to chop and change - there aren't many places I'd want to visit three or four times, let alone a dozen.

I love travelling and on my Agenda is: at least one new place each year.

so far I have accomplished that.

However I have done the Westen Med cruise with NCL 3 times.

Reason the first time was because I haven't been to most of those places.

the second and third time it was because it was the Norwegian Epic and that ship has cabin for Solotravellers. So those two times it was a Budget Thing.

I was lucky though, the was one new port each cruise (one time it was Marsaille and one time it was Palma)

To be honest, if i would be living in the Seattle I would do Cruises to Alaska all the time. I did it twice so far and it's just beautiful there. Let alone for the Salmon bake in Juneau I would go again. That was sooooooo delicious

Living in Miami I would probably do some Weekend Cruises even if I have been at the port already just to get some time away from home

I'm asking this question seriously and in no way am trying to be rude. Just curious as to why some folks continue to sail the same cruise or go to the same places so many times? (We do have some friends who have sailed at least 30 times on the same cruise line to the Caribbean but they refuse to do anything "different")

I think of the lyrics to MoonRiver "Two drifters, off to see the world There's such a lot of world to see" and no that there are just so many places to see... so little time!

We cruised to the Bahamas 4 times because of the departure port and the ships could only do that itinerary. Now that we can fly to the departure port we are branching out and next year I can visit some ports I didn't even get to visit in the Navy.:)

We cruise for the ship more than the destinations in the Caribbean. It's the cruise experience--being at sea, meeting new people, enjoying great service and food. There are some islands where we don't bother getting off the ship anymore.

Heck no.

As you can see from my signature we have only done 3 cruises but all have been vastly different. We are however, returning to the Med this year but most of the ports are different and we are trying out 'new ship feeling' on the Vista.

We started cruises to see/sample places in a single trip whilst enjoying the ocean so its unlikely we would take the same cruise twice. Our planned cruises for the next few years are

1) Our first Carribean cruise on the Carnival Dream for 2017

2) An Asian/Aus cruise in 2017 or an Asian cruise then an Aus cruise

Kids will probably be after those so when we eventually return to cruising we would like to do a Transatlanic and the dream is to do Anarctica on Celebrity. We have also thought about cheaper cruises closes to home such as Norway/Iceland when we have less money and a Black sea cruise when the area is better for travellers. My Husband is keen on Alaska but I am not sure...it will probably get done though.

We are not loaded but our money does go on experiences rather than possessions...if we want to go to a place..we go. If we lived in Florida it is likely we would do a few Carribean breaks as well as those mentioned above.

I don't have to cook, clean or scoop cat litter! So far only 2 ocean cruises, third next week. Going on the Constellation gain as I loved it the first time. Taking it again next year for W Med. mostly go for the ports. Enjoy river cruising too

Like to unpack once.

We have been cruising for 15 years and mainly in the Caribbean. We did one around Australia but it was a one off and expensive. Never cruise in the med because we lived in Spain for years and also living in the UK we can drive around. We always combine cruise with a stay in Florida. We are finding the Caribbean a bit of the same old, same tours, same Port shops. Would be difficult to tell which Island you had docked without the name:D still enjoy but looking back not the same excitement as the first two cruises.

March 19th will be my 130th cruise. We have been to many ports but we repeat them too. After 130 you know the ones you want to see again. Also cruising is about the ships as well as the ports. We try all the new ones. So far, the Allure of the Seas is my favorite. So much to do, never seems crowded. Remarkable ship.

My favorite way to vacation is to cruise, my husband prefers going to Maui. A cruise is in itself a destination! So it's like asking why someone would always vacation in Hawaii. Because they like it! :)

The only reason we don't go all over the world is because we can't afford that.