Bringing soda onboard?

jarand

As stated above there are no limits on water and soda. However, I strongly suggest you take it as carry on so they don't suspect you have beer in your checked luggage. If you really want to take a lot then you can have it as checked luggage. Put a luggage tag on your case of water or soda and it will be delivered to your cabin along with the rest of your luggage.

• 1 month later...

Saw this mentioned on another thread, but in the Cruise Answer Book, the following sentence has appeared under "Alcohol Policy":

"Liquor, spirits, beer, bottled water and canned or bottled soda are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol or any beverages outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

Any recent soda-takers had their soda confiscated?

Saw this mentioned on another thread, but in the Cruise Answer Book, the following sentence has appeared under "Alcohol Policy":

"Liquor, spirits, beer, bottled water and canned or bottled soda are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol or any beverages outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

Any recent soda-takers had their soda confiscated?

I'll know for sure next week but since the Passage Contract does not contain that statement it shouldn't be a problem for my cruise. Although that statement may be a preview of adopting the Carnival policy preventing them.

I'll know for sure next week but since the Passage Contract does not contain that statement it shouldn't be a problem for my cruise. Although that statement may be a preview of adopting the Carnival policy preventing them.

That, unfortunately, is very likely. We have the booze smugglers to thank for that!

The Passage Contract also states that only one bottle of wine can be brought on board per passenger of drinking age. There is no mention of additional bottles allowed with a $15 corkage fee in the Passage Contract.

I was checking my old Cruise Answer Books and the new wording was added on July 15th of this year. It took Princess about 18 months to roll out the new wine policy a couple of years ago starting with the Golden in San Pedro and that could be the case.

We don't bring any water or soft drinks on board as we are fine with the ship's water and I gave up soft drinks about three years ago. However, I hope Princess doesn't change their existing policy. It is interesting that Carnival only banned bottled water and soda, presumably because of alcohol smuggling, but still allows canned beverages. The Princess wording appears to even bam cans. Let us know what you find out.

It is interesting that Carnival only banned bottled water and soda, presumably because of alcohol smuggling, but still allows canned beverages. The Princess wording appears to even ba[n] cans. Let us know what you find out.

Yes, the can thing stuck out at me, too. We originally brought cans with us then switched to bottles so we could bring fewer (they can be closed and placed in the fridge for later). But we'd be fine with cans if they need to ban bottles because of the smugglers.

We're cruising 12/19, and I'm going to bring our bottles and see what happens.

Yes, the can thing stuck out at me, too. We originally brought cans with us then switched to bottles so we could bring fewer (they can be closed and placed in the fridge for later). But we'd be fine with cans if they need to ban bottles because of the smugglers.

We're cruising 12/19, and I'm going to bring our bottles and see what happens.

Carnival also changed the delivery of on board Funshop purchases of alcohol.

Like Princess, they used to be delivered to the cabin the last day of the cruise.

But now Carnival distributes them on disembarkation morning, too late to have them packed in your luggage that was collected the last evening. Carnival no longer brings them to your cabin, but on disembarkation morning there is a place you can line up to pick up your purchases. Just what passengers want to do as they prepare to leave for the airport.

Obviously this has nothing to do with smuggling alcohol on board, just with making sure sales of beverages do not go down that last evening.

(It might be that those who sign up for the Carnival equivalent of EZCheck do get their purchases the last day in time to pack them in the luggage. But if you do not use EZCheck, you must wait until disembarkation morning.)

I'm not going to like this at all. We are not soda drinkers, but I do take a small number of bottled water on board and refill them as needed for use around the ship and going ashore.

I don't see why they should kill off taking on sealed bottles, but what can you do (other than take on some empty bottles)?

I think I won't get too overly excited until this is more firm that it will be enforced with no exceptions.

I'm not going to like this at all. We are not soda drinkers, but I do take a small number of bottled water on board and refill them as needed for use around the ship and going ashore.

I don't see why they should kill off taking on sealed bottles, but what can you do (other than take on some empty bottles)?

I think I won't get too overly excited until this is more firm that it will be enforced with no exceptions.

We used to carry on a case of water, but a few cruises ago we just started taking a few empty water bottles and refilling them with ships water. So much easier. We still carry on a case or two of canned pop.

Just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable Princess Customer Service Representative (Jody). She walked me through the internet until I found the newest version of the Cruise Answer Book. Yes...beginning 2016 bottled water AND canned soda will not be allowed to be carried on your cruise.

But the good news is that Chocolate Covered Strawberries are seasonal and have not been permanently removed from the Elite Formal Night card.

I doubt if any campaign to reverse the water/soda policy will be effective, but I think if each and every one of us write on the comment cards and surveys for each cruise we take, maybe Princess will rethink this new policy.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I doubt if any campaign to reverse the water/soda policy will be effective, but I think if each and every one of us write on the comment cards and surveys for each cruise we take, maybe Princess will rethink this new policy.

Registering our opposition on their Facebook page probably won't hurt, either. Better to try to keep the policy from being implemented than to try and have it reversed after the fact.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

Just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable Princess Customer Service Representative (Jody). She walked me through the internet until I found the newest version of the Cruise Answer Book. Yes...beginning 2016 bottled water AND canned soda will not be allowed to be carried on your cruise.

So you're saying this policy doesn't go into effect until 2016?

I hope so since we're cruising in November and I wanted to bring some bottled water onboard. I don't drink coffee, soda, or alcohol -- just water.