Is there such a thing as too long?

I was invited on a 12 Caribbean cruise on the Anthem of the Seas in February 2016. I have never sailed longer than an 8 day cruise. I had a really nice time but by the time it was over, I was glad to be going home. So here is my question ......Is there such a thing as a cruise being too long? :eek:

Who has gone on cruise for more than 8 days and what was your experience like. Thanks.

Edited by gizmo911

We haven't found our limit yet!!

Our longest cruise was 30 days on the Mariner of the Seas, and I still wasn't ready to go home at the end. Did 28 days on the Brilliance of the Seas last year and an additional 4 days in Paris afterward....still wasn't ready for vacation to be over! :D

I missed my kids, grandkids and dogs, but I didn't have a single problem being on a cruise for a month!

I find that on a landbased vacation where we just stay in one place, I really want to go home after about 5 days. :rolleyes: But I took a cruise two years ago and will be taking one in August, and for cruises I think 7 days is too short. :D

Of course that would also depend on the cruise as well. If we have to spend 3 days at sea between every port I would probably get bored, but on a Mediterranian cruise you're at port every day, so that keeps me busy.

For us, it has never been to long. We started with a 10 and 11 night cruise, then we moved to 14. Every time I had to leave the ship I was close to crying because I loved it so much. :(

Our last cruise was 18 nights - I still had a hard time to keep those tears away when we had to leave the ship even without having to fly home cause we had two more weeks in Hawai'i.

So currently we are into planning a 7+11 night cruise and then a B2B with 24 nights... let's see if it ever gets too long, for now I don't think so!

The only thing that is too long is the time between the cruises.

Haven't found our limit yet! We've done a couple of b2b's that add up to 28 or 29 days each, but our record so far is a transatlantic on the Independence (break of 4 days in Washington DC) then a 9 day followed by a 14 day cruise on the Explorer, so apart from the 4 days in DC, 6 weeks at sea. It was great!!

Simon

Actually it's a really personal question. If you get bored on the cruise then it might be too long. But I love cruising. I find that 5 days is my absolute minimum, but really 7 days is the minimum I put on myself. We have done 14 days including a Trans Atlantic that had 7 consecutive days at sea. It was on Vision which is one of the smallest ships. Now, we were a group of 8 so we had friends, but I loved the cruise. We also did an 11 night Southern Caribbean. Also on a small ship. May have been my favorite cruise.

Here's what I find.... I adjust to the length. If I do a 7 night, my mind is sort of geared toward it. Same with the longer cruises. But I also find that a longer cruise allows me to enjoy the "relaxing" side of cruising more. I'll spend more time on my balcony (or somewhere quiet) just reading and relaxing as I know I have more time for activities as the days go on. Even on the TA, we lay by the pool, had a leisurely lunch, relaxed on our balcony, took a nap, went to the Schooner Bar or show after dinner, and repeated. It was the most relaxing cruise ever. So if you enjoy that, then a longer cruise will be great. You'll not feel the need to "do something" as you'll have more time.

I found 7 nights to be way too short, 10-12 nights are about right for me. I got a 14 mightier coming up in the summer and do wonder whether that is abit too long.

I think you will love it! Since my DH and I still work, we cannot do more then a two week cruise in the winter. We take two additional cruises a year for one week. When we take a two weeker we love it and truly relax. We also enjoy one week on one ship and the following on another. Have done RC and Celebrity from FLL and this year will do it again! We have internet access to check up family and home. We are never bored. I would love to cruise the entire month of January someday. On my bucket list!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Every cruise has its hassles - travel to the pier, embark, disembark, muster, getting used to location of cabin and dining table, etc. These are a constant whether the cruise is 3 or 30 days, so the thought is to get in the most cruising days each time.

Our longest so far has been 29 cruise days (to Dubai), but next year going for 36!

I have only ever been on 7 night cruises. I think personally I could handle 10. I would have to bring a ton of suitcases if we did that heck we already bring 3 large ones plus our carry ons for a 7 day

We haven't found our limit yet. Our longest cruise (so far!:D) was a 46 night B2B2B cruise on Mariner in 2009. Last year we did 30 nights by cruising on Radiance from Sydney to Hawaii and then to Vancouver. We are cruising in August on the Serenade TA which is only 16 nights and I am already thinking that is too short.:D

Sherri:)

I think it's how you occupy yourself. BF & I went on an 8-day on Grandeur last Thanksgiving and by the end we were so glad to get off. However, I think we were glad because we only got off the ship for 1.5 days out of 8 (It was the Canaveral, Nassau, Cococay, Key West itinerary - we didn't get off at Canaveral and Key West was cancelled) and by then that we had pretty much done everything we wanted to on the ship. Had we been a bit more open to doing more & actually done it (ie. gotten off at Canaveral, done a little more on the ship like rock climbing or spa, etc. And we were really, really bummed we didn't get to do Key West, which dampened our spirits a little bit) I think we would have been sad to get off!

He swears we won't go as long as an 8-day again, but I am trying hard to convince him otherwise!

My first cruise was a 12 day Mediterranean, and I wasnt ready for it to be over when it was. Our next cruise was 5 days, and i wondered why we even bothered. We have a 7 day coming in October, and I think that will be the shortest I will ever book again.

I found 7 nights to be way too short, 10-12 nights are about right for me. I got a 14 mightier coming up in the summer and do wonder whether that is abit too long.

I agree. 10-12 was perfect for me.

I think a cruise is happiest with interesting ports to look forward to and also having a nice group of people to hang with onboard. Getting to know cruise critic people on your roll call is a good idea for longer cruises. Also, we like to dance so that is something we look forward to.

We have done B2B's on FOS several times and 14 nights isn't long enough for us and we don't do much of anything except relax. Of course, everyone has different things they enjoy, so what one person loves may bore someone else to tears.

Once we did our 15 day Panama Canal relocation cruise .. we have had a hard time going back to 7 day cruises. We have done several 10 days and another 15 since then and just love it. We cruise mainly to unplug and RELAX.

Edited by bigeagle12

Our longesty cruise was last year from Sydney , Australia, where we did a 13 day NZ, returned to Sydney for 9 days then did the 18 day Transpacific and 12 day Hawaii back to Vancouver, a total of 54 days. We never once got tired of the trip yet were happy to be home. Would we dod it again, probably not, but consecutively I could do two 14 day cruises or up to 30 days. If you have a lot of enjoyable ports and kept busy on board then it won't be boring.

February on the Anthem....(we did February on the Quantum)....you will have two days sailing south and two days sailing north in cold weather so plan on interior activities (Anthem does have an enclosed pool). If you can keep yourself occupied on the cold weather days during the sailing you will be fine. Use the time to check out the ship, read, relax, shows, etc.

You can never predict the weather so take that into account -- on our return trip to the port, the last two days the exterior decks were closed off due to inclement weather (snow, ice, winds).