Swim diapers

Honeybflygirl

Hi all! My child is fully potty trained, but I am paranoid because let's face it, a kid of any age (or even a drunk adult :')) can have an accident so I would still like to keep a swim diaper on her just for extra precaution as a courtesy to the other guests. Can anyone tell me if Celebrity cruise lines are strict on the "no swim diaper" rule?

if your child is fully potty trained, then I would just put swim trunks or suit on and forget the swim diaper. Some people will get freaked out, (and rightly so), if they see the swim diaper.

The signage on the pool states no swim diapers. Last trip crew were getting people to take their kids out of the pool who were wearing them. It's the only one I've seem them do it on and yes people do freak when they see them in the pool. If the child is potty trained then I'd forego it.

Swim diapers indicate to others that a child is not fully potty trained, if your child is fully potty trained then they should wear a bathing suit. I've seen people asked by security to remove their child from the pool.

If you are concerned then perhaps the young one isn't ready yet and you should assess this honestly with yourself because if there were an accident, they will close the pool for a prolonged period of time.

One poo accident from child or adult means pool or hot tub has to be drained, sanitized etc..

If not 100% sure , use kiddie pool which can be more easily cleaned

Kids like it, water is warmer..

I love kids - have three and three grandkids. Sailed with my youngest since he was 3. So take this in the spirit it is intended (helpful advice) - if you are concerned about your child having an accident in the pool, please keep them out. Even if they are wearing a swim diaper and are allowed to do so against regulations, swim diapers do not really keep a pool sanitary. If they had a #2 accident even if it remains in the diaper then the water is contaminated, period. I understand it is hard to deny a child the opportunity, but there is a reason for it. I have read of some cruisers taking along a small blow-up pool for their own balconies but not sure if that would really work.

For what it's worth, per X website (yes it does work at times), this policy is based on USPH guidelines/policy.

"United States Public Health Policy (USPH) prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools".

It does not appear X has any choice in this matter other than to enforce the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The rule is "no swim diapers". It's posted. It speaks for itself.

I don't really understand why some folks (not necessarily the OP, because she may not have been aware of the rule) who know the rules, then feel compelled to ask whether the rule is strictly enforced or maybe they can just ignore it. A rule, is a rule, is a rule....and exits for a reason, whether you are aware of the reason or agree with it or not.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why some folks (not necessarily the OP, because she may not have been aware of the rule) who know the rules, then feel compelled to ask whether the rule is strictly enforced or maybe they can just ignore it. A rule, is a rule, is a rule....and exits for a reason, whether you are aware of the reason or agree with it or not.

Unfortunately, like other rules, some folks think rules don't pertain to them. The funny thing is, they would be the first to try to sue if someone else's rule breaking behavior impacts them in a negative way.

If someone feels that their child might have an accident, I'd guess that they have had some. Maybe Celebrity also needs to put an age limit on the pool, like 3 years old, because those children under this age certainly might have an accident. Wondering how old the OP's daughter is.

Agree. Some do get the words rules and suggested confused.

Edited by davekathy

As a mom, I get what you are asking. I think some replies have been harsher than needed. If your daughter is really fully trained, I'd take lots of potty breaks and have her in just a swimsuit and enjoy the pool. If you have any real doubts, then keep her occupied elsewhere on the ship and plan beach days in port. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few years ago we were cruising on the Grand Princess with quite a few sea days. On the first sea day they had to close the main pools for most of a beautiful hot day because a child (in swim diapers) had an "accident." It took hours to drain the pools, scrub them, and then refill...and many passengers were "steaming." The following day, the same child had another accident in that same pool....which again had to be closed. The next day, that entire family was gone....having been "asked to leave the ship" by the Staff Captain. Enough said.

Hank

Can anyone tell me if Celebrity cruise lines are strict on the "no swim diaper" rule?

(not necessarily the OP, because she may not have been aware of the rule) who know the rules, then feel compelled to ask whether the rule is strictly enforced or maybe they can just ignore it. A rule, is a rule, is a rule....and exits for a reason, whether you are aware of the reason or agree with it or not.

OP is aware of the rule. If you think your child is prone to accidents, and should wear a swim diaper, then your child isn't potty trained to pool standards.

OP is trying to have it both ways, insists her daughter is fully potty trained but should wear a swim diaper just in case.

That's right. If they see the swim diaper, she won't be allowed. Urinating (while gross) isn't the issue...it's fecal matter. Even a swim diaper, while it may keep solids IN the diaper, allow the water in the pool to flow thru the diaper and contents....like a "tea bag"....and it contaminates the pool. It's a health issue.

I love kids - have three and three grandkids. Sailed with my youngest since he was 3. So take this in the spirit it is intended (helpful advice) - if you are concerned about your child having an accident in the pool, please keep them out. Even if they are wearing a swim diaper and are allowed to do so against regulations, swim diapers do not really keep a pool sanitary. If they had a #2 accident even if it remains in the diaper then the water is contaminated, period. I understand it is hard to deny a child the opportunity, but there is a reason for it. I have read of some cruisers taking along a small blow-up pool for their own balconies but not sure if that would really work.

We brought a small blow up pool for one year old 4 years ago. Crew was amazingly helpful to us. I put it between our chairs, but when they spied it, they filled it and emptied it for us. We also used it to let baby play with toys unfilled.

Since you asked, I wouldn't put a swim diaper on a fully potty trained child. I understand your thinking, but it sends the wrong message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We brought a small blow up pool for one year old 4 years ago. Crew was amazingly helpful to us. I put it between our chairs, but when they spied it, they filled it and emptied it for us. We also used it to let baby play with toys unfilled.

Since you asked, I wouldn't put a swim diaper on a fully potty trained child. I understand your thinking, but it sends the wrong message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully they didn't empty it into the pool. ;)

Wow, I know Celebrity isn't the exactly the most family oriented line for those with young children but I completely understand the OP's question and dilemma. My wife and I have sailed extensively on Celebrity and love it. We now have a 2 year old and he has been on 3 cruises, most recently this June on the Summit. He is not 100% potty trained and was in a swim diaper while standing in the splash pad. At no point was he swimming or was his lower half in the water. Meanwhile there 2-3 other kids swimming in the water with swim diapers clearly visible and the pool attendant said nothing while passively aggressively telling us a supervisor was coming to ask us to leave. There were also many small children in the hot tubs which is not only a health risk for others but more acutely for the toddler themselves but Celebrity seems to not care at all about that. I understand the rule is the rule is the rule and I am extremely sensitive to the health impact of an accident in the water. But, at some point you would think some common sense would be applied to these situations. My son would put his feet in the water and then play on the deck like any normal child. While we are talking about the health impacts of public bathing why don't we discuss the possibility of requiring all swimmers to rinse off before entering the body of water.

The fact is most cruise related illnesses are related to people not properly washing their hands or not washing them at all. Both my wife and I witness people leave restrooms without washing and immediately head towards the buffet on every cruise. If you want to talk about an easy way to not spread GI bugs then don't allow self service in any of the eating areas at all times. Until then, make sure you wash or sanitizr after you make your plate and before you eat.

Just off Reflections and the Pool Butler was always scanning the pool for diapers. When he would find one, he would call someone on his walkie talkie and that person (an office of some level) would come explain why the diapered child could not be in the pool. Some got really mad. I saw at least 4 families being told their baby couldn't swim.

I have kids. Older now but I took them on a cruise when my youngest was 3 1/2 years old. Part of his motivation for becoming 100% potty trained was that he could not go in the pools on the ship unless he was. It is unsanitary to have fecal matter, even contained in a swim diaper, in a public pool.