Happy Hour: "for select beverages only"

SilvertoGold

We're sailing first time HAL in Dec (Oosterdam from TPA)... When (at what hour) & where - in which bar(s) - is the Happy Hour onboard the HAL ships? [emoji57] Rgds from Stockholm, Sweden

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Usually in the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar from 4 - 5 pm. There may be additional Happy Hours for late seating diners. The information will be listed in the daily program "On Location".

wow - hope HAL does NOT limit which drinks qualify for happy hour but if they are indeed pinching pennies, this may be a 'sign'.

Did notice on my last cruise happy hour occurred before dinner in the 2 bars noted but also that the later time was limited to only the Ocean Bar. May have been a fluke for that cruise only.

Did notice on my last cruise happy hour occurred before dinner in the 2 bars noted but also that the later time was limited to only the Ocean Bar. May have been a fluke for that cruise only.

I just checked the On Locations that RetiredMustang is posting from the Maasdam. The second HH is in the Crow's Nest from 9:30 - 10:30 pm so after dinner for the late diners. I guess it is different ship by ship.

It's always 'excluded' certain drinks. DW enjoys the Grolsch (Dutch) beer. That is a little more than all the others and it is not included in happy hour. The more costly wines by the glass are not included.

We have never had an issue finding something very enjoyable. If our favorite bar runs out of the 'included' wine they will usually offer the more costly one at the same price (until they can get another bottle from a different bar!).

I'm late getting back to my thread, but want to thank everyone for their info.

Asking is the best way to handle this, for sure. I thought they might have a list or something to explain, easily for all, what the limitations are.

Have enjoyed HH in the past on many cruises. The only time we were told that something was not included was the boozed-up hot chocolates, but then I thought the bar just didn't have any hot chocolate to use.

Again, thanks a lot for all the comments!

Edited by SilvertoGold

There may be additional Happy Hours for late seating diners.

There has never been a Happy Hour for pre-dinner cocktails for main seating on any of my cruises. :mad: Early seating gets a choice of two lounges; late seating gets nothing.

IF there is a late Happy Hour in any lounge it may or may not be before late seating is finished eating; if after, then it conflicts with the show.

Late seating diners are left out of a lot of things on the ships. It's as if HAL wants to drive everyone into an "early to bed/early to rise schedule".

It's always 'excluded' certain drinks. DW enjoys the Grolsch (Dutch) beer. That is a little more than all the others and it is not included in happy hour. The more costly wines by the glass are not included.

We have never had an issue finding something very enjoyable. If our favorite bar runs out of the 'included' wine they will usually offer the more costly one at the same price (until they can get another bottle from a different bar!).

Really? I'm sure DM has had Grolsch beer at HH. In fact, I know she has because we bought three, and got the additional three for $3, for our cabin. Must be another thing that depends on the ship. Our experience was on the Zaandam in May/16.

On Maasdam earlier this year, they had the traditional happy hour in both bars (Ocean & Crow's Nest). Plus - there was happy hour on some (not all) nights later in the Crow's Nest only. About 9:00ish, there isn't much going on in the Crow's Nest, so a happy hour is to draw more in. At that time, Ocean Bar is generally going good. First show lets out and there are those who have a dry mouth - Ocean Bar. Committing to Crow's Nest at that time is not the same.

Jim

wow - hope HAL does NOT limit which drinks qualify for happy hour but if they are indeed pinching pennies, this may be a 'sign'.

Nobody MAKES a cruise line offer a happy hour. It's not a cruise passenger god given right. If they choose to end an incredibly generous offer that's their choice to do so. I would find it VERY unlikely someone picks their entire cruise vacation based on whether or not a "Buy 1 get one for $1" is onboard for 1-2 hours of each day

Agree with you completely.

Could never see why a second drink for $1. was such a big deal. It is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Same for that terrible plonk and fizzy stuff that they hand out. Cannot imagine going out of our way to get it just because it is free.

Celebrity hands out the fizzy stuff on boarding. Amazing the people who line up/crowd to get a free glass of it all the while trying to hold onto their carry on bag.

Edited by iancal

As a late seating diner, when the lack of a HH for us disappeared before our dinner time (because sometime ago, if my memory is correct, there was one), I was a complainer. Didn't do any good, I discovered.

Thus, I adapted. I enjoy the 4:00-5:00 P. M. HH by having one less CC-7 (Sprite on HAL) by ordering a double CC-7. (Really don't need the extra soda.) Then, often while enjoying Pub Trivia, I will have another HH, but not at the "buy one, get one for $1) prior to going to dinner. This plan works for me!

Edited by rkacruiser

As a late seating diner, when the lack of a HH for us disappeared before our dinner time (because sometime ago, if my memory is correct, there was one), I was a complainer. Didn't do any good, I discovered.

Thus, I adapted. I enjoy the 4:00-5:00 P. M. HH by having one less CC-7 (Sprite on HAL) by ordering a double CC-7. (Really don't need the extra soda.) Then, often while enjoying Pub Trivia, I will have another HH, but not at the "buy one, get one for $1) prior to going to dinner. This plan works for me!

Yes, I agree, this is the way to go: adapt. We do this ALL the time on HAL and it is no big deal. There is very little point in being rigid unless you have the power to change things to your liking.

Agree with you completely.

Could never see why a second drink for $1. was such a big deal. It is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Same for that terrible plonk and fizzy stuff that they hand out. Cannot imagine going out of our way to get it just because it is free.

Celebrity hands out the fizzy stuff on boarding. Amazing the people who line up/crowd to get a free glass of it all the while trying to hold onto their carry on bag.

Not a big deal but still a deal. On our upcoming WC, a happy hour saves us more then $750 versus paying full freight.

Edited by KirkNC

In the grand scheme it's not a deal-breaker for us. Still, though, two $8 drinks for $9.00 rather than $16.00 is a good deal...so why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums