Feb or April for Caribbean Cruise?

heffa72

We're looking to take a cruise during Feb or April vacation (New England only vacation weeks).

Looking for feedback on which people feel is a better time to go there. Before kids (or when they weren't in school) we'd go in March - my favorite time. But now we're a slave to vacation weeks.

I'd go in February to get away from the dead of winter. Also, April might have Easter break kids.

I second February, always a good decision. :D

Unless you sail from NJ or MD. :eek:

Then it would be June. ;)

Well, I think you'll have a ship filled with kids and potential Spring-breakers in April. Some people on these boards say they will never again cruise during Spring Break (which can actually be the entire month of March and some of April). The weather is warm all year round in the Caribbean. I would go in early February. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Once you get past the first week of April, spring break is 99% over. Different but similar: We have annual passes to Disney and there is a distinct drop in crowds after the first week of April.

(I still like winter cruising though)

Feb 18-26 or April 15-23 are the potential weeks. B/c they're both weeks that only new england states have vacation (I believe) I am not too worried about the kid-crowd. (We just got back from Disney yesterday and the crowds were moderate - much quieter than early April.)

I guess I'm more focused on weather. One year (can't remember when we went) we wore jeans in Miami it was such a cold spell.

It sounds like April would be my safest option, but I'd prefer to go in the cold winter months to avoid depression!! :-)

Feb 18-26 or April 15-23 are the potential weeks. B/c they're both weeks that only new england states have vacation (I believe) I am not too worried about the kid-crowd. (We just got back from Disney yesterday and the crowds were moderate - much quieter than early April.)

I guess I'm more focused on weather. One year (can't remember when we went) we wore jeans in Miami it was such a cold spell.

It sounds like April would be my safest option, but I'd prefer to go in the cold winter months to avoid depression!! :-)

I care much less about the weather in Miami than I do about how much warmer it will be in the Caribbean than at home in February.

I've done January, February, March and April for cruises. April was by far the best for weather. We had a couple bad times for weather on the cruises from Jan-Mar where we couldn't even use the pool but instead the hot tub was the best spot. Also we couldn't sit out because it was just too chilly. I prefer to go when I know I have a much better chance for warmer weather rather than being disappointed by chilly weather. It is much better than the snow and cold but still want to have good weather to enjoy the pool.

The only months we have NOT sailed the Caribbean is July and August. Except June being a little warmer and September being a little stickier, there has been very little difference in the Caribbean weather. We don't sail out of the northeast to avoid winter storms. Who wants to board a snow covered ship? Anyway, sometimes it can be a little cooler in Florida January through March but it beats the weather in Rhode Island and we're not there long.

I also think prices might be a little better in February than April...might be.

We just went Apr 10 - 17 for Eastern Caribbean and weather was lovely...low 80s. I could have even had it a touch warmer when on the ship since there is a breeze so made it cooler by the pool when wet (but that's just me as I'm always cold). So I'd pick April. Not sure about next year but this year I believe we were past spring breakers (or the bulk of them). Also less chance of having travel issues by plane in April compared with February (if snow is an issue for you). But it's a cruise, so I'd take either. ;)

I think is also depends on where you are leaving from, and going to. Southern Carribbean seems a better chance at warmer weather year around as opposed to eastern/western. We are going in Early February (will be over valentines day) out of San Juan, and while it will be our first, have heard great things about the weather and the average temp is pretty good.

If the ship is leaving from the Northeast, it might be a different story all together.

We sailed to the Caribbean in February this year and we are now on Oasis in April. No problem on our 7 day cruises, but our friends took a 3 day cruise to Nassau in February and there were unsupervised kids running everywhere.

The weather was better in February. Yesterday in Cozumel it was too hot and humid too do much, although Jamaica weather was perfect.

Being from the northeast originally, I would cruise in February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I prefer April only because when I go home there is a hope of Spring. When we go in February I find it makes it harder to go home and have two more months of winter. Each to their own!

Totally agree, most cruises we have done were late march or april.

This year we did one after new years and coming back to winter

really stinks. Getting out march/april and weather (not this year,lol)

gives you a head start on spring, ahhhh .

I care much less about the weather in Miami than I do about how much warmer it will be in the Caribbean than at home in February.

Same here. :)

For some of us the big weather difference between Feb & April at home is far more important than the marginal differences between those months in the Caribbean.

OP is from New England - not renown for heatwaves in February. ;)

JB :)

I have always loved cruising in February. I am from Ontario, Canada, where the winters are snowy and cold. I love the escape from winter! In April, the weather is nicer here and I don't feel that need to get away as much. I have always had good weather in the Caribbean in February.

We are from the blustery area of Buffalo, NY, and always want a warm weather cruise vacation by January or February. The only problem is, getting there without flight cancelations and delays. We always booked flights one day prior to cruise, but even as mild as this past winter was, it chose to storm on the day we tried to fly to Florida! It took us 2 days to get down there! Thank goodness we did not have a cruise booked this time--just 9 days in the sunshine, which got reduced to 7!!

February is a great time - just make sure you make plans to fly in a day or two early as there could be snowstorms that prohibit flying. . .

April will be nicer in the Caribbean - water is a bit warmer and less breezy. I was freezing on deck from Cozumel to Key West in Feb 2015 - it was SO windy! I just kept saying, "it's not 20 below 0, it's not 20 below 0"

Pat

• Like 1