No Celebrity, You Have Not Lost Your Way...

richard1s

Our first cruise was on the RCL Voyager of the Seas in 2001. We stood in a long line at the Miami terminal to check-in. Our balcony cabin was a very tight fit. Diner was fixed seating and required mandatory formal dress on specified evenings. By the end of the week, the beverage tab was considerable. Disembarkation was long and tedious and involved a lot of sitting around in public rooms waiting. However we were hooked on cruising and since then, we have gone on 25 cruises with 6 different cruise lines.

Fast forward 15 years to our December sailing on Celebrity’s beautiful Reflection. Adjusted for inflation, we now stay in a Celebrity (S-1) suite for about the same price as that little Voyager balcony cabin. Packing is easier now since the tux, accessories and gowns are no longer necessary thanks to relaxed dress standards.

These days, the Miami boarding process is about 10 minutes. The suite cabin is about 80% larger than our little Voyager balcony room; the bathroom is roomy and filled with great toiletries. The cabin has terrific bedding, towels and many wonderful extra amenities. We have a butler, who delivers an excellent, hot breakfast and sets it up on our balcony table every day to enjoy. We are offered wonderful and varied dining options and receive great service from people who actually remember us and certainly appear to value our patronage.

The included premium beverage package allows us to get pretty much any type of drink we want with the swipe of a card. At the end of the cruise, the gratuities have been taken care of and if we want to give someone extra, it’s our choice. Finally, disembarkation is an absolute breeze; off the ship at 7:15 AM and thru security at the Miami airport by 7:45 AM, in time to take an 11:00 AM flight home.

And to ensure that we have a great experience on our cruise, Celebrity provides an extraordinarily generous on board credit, to use as we please.

I read an awful lot of complaints on this board about Celebrity Cruise Line, about their CEO, their policies, their “losing their way”, their beverage package wine tasting “like swill”, their poor quality food, their 15 question trivia, their Lido not serving food at 5:30 PM, their corporate greed, their rude, overworked staff, their lousy entertainment and on and on. It is not my intention to minimize any of these complaints; everyone’s opinion is valid.

But for me, I find it amazing that Celebrity can offer the quality product they do at such a competitive price. Particularly in comparison to that first cruise we took back in 2001. In my opinion, Celebrity has significantly advanced the value of their product over the years. For us, each cruise seems better than the last one, with noticeable upgrades to the entire experience.

And most notable, since our first cruise in 2001, parent company RCL stock has increased over 800%; factor in the dividends and it is a great return on investment for stockholders. Both customers and investors benefit.

With Celebrity, I feel that I am an appreciated customer and I honestly could not be more pleased to give them my repeated business.

Haven't "lost their way" but rather decided to follow a different road. I've said this many times before; Their focus has shifted from "Loyalty" to high margin spenders. (which is another way of saying "Suite passengers"). Suite passengers appear from postings to be quite pleased while complaints about cutbacks have been coming largely from non Suite passengers. Celebrity is not alone on the high margin highway as other lines might be causing a traffic jam.

My favorite cruise line and I also do not cruise in suites. Each cruise is better than the last and at times I do not have a beverage package. Both the service and experience have been stellar and as soon as I can steer my teens away from the "bells and whistles " of the sister cruise line, it may be the only cruise line I choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Haven't "lost their way" but rather decided to follow a different road. I've said this many times before; Their focus has shifted from "Loyalty" to high margin spenders. (which is another way of saying "Suite passengers"). Suite passengers appear from postings to be quite pleased while complaints about cutbacks have been coming largely from non Suite passengers. Celebrity is not alone on the high margin highway as other lines might be causing a traffic jam.

The main point I was trying to make was the comparison of our first cruise experience to our last, on the Reflection in December. Also, I wanted to point out our total satisfaction with the product we are purchasing.

However, I suspect that you are probably correct and there is a shift in the target market. I simply don't know but if that is the case, customers respond and we'll see what happens. Fortunately there are many choices out there.

But the things we still enjoy the most - the professional and courteous staff, the great food at the Aqua Spa Café and other dining options, the cleanliness of the ship and our cabin, the value of the experience, the quality of the entertainment etc. are there for the enjoyment of all passengers.

Thanks for posting this! We have compared sailing on other lines and for what X provides in perks we don't find that sailing with anyone else would save us money.

Also, when we meet people who have sailed other lines an try X for the first time, they are impressed by the friendliness and how accommodating the staff are.

I'm not switching anytime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've never sailed in a suite (maybe someday) but I agree wholeheartedly with your post. Sure some things have been changed that I liked; but a whole bunch of things are far better than they were when we started cruising. And Celebrity has continued to make us happy that they were the first cruise line we chose - on our first cruise we didn't know one from another.

I suspect human nature is to see the things you don't like and take the things you do like for granted. I know I've been guilty of this in a lot of areas, not just cruises.

Harris

Denver, CO

The main point I was trying to make was the comparison of our first cruise experience to our last, on the Reflection in December. Also, I wanted to point out our total satisfaction with the product we are purchasing.

However, I suspect that you are probably correct and there is a shift in the target market. I simply don't know but if that is the case, customers respond and we'll see what happens. Fortunately there are many choices out there.

But the things we still enjoy the most - the professional and courteous staff, the great food at the Aqua Spa Café and other dining options, the cleanliness of the ship and our cabin, the value of the experience, the quality of the entertainment etc. are there for the enjoyment of all passengers.

I absolutely agree with you and that's why I've spent so much time on Celebrity ships. I also don't usually book Suites. I was told on a recent cruise that 80% of the passengers were repeat passengers, so they must be doing something right! However reading threads like the recent ones about 7:00AM for leaving cabin and questions about Connie might leave you scratching your head.

I absolutely agree with you and that's why I've spent so much time on Celebrity ships. I also don't usually book Suites. I was told on a recent cruise that 80% of the passengers were repeat passengers, so they must be doing something right! However reading threads like the recent ones about 7:00AM for leaving cabin and questions about Connie might leave you scratching your head.
I read the entire 17 pages on that one; and yes, it seems draconian.

Hopefully Celebrity will reconsider that, But like every policy, not everyone is affected the same. For us, when the ship docks, it's over and the main goal is getting home early enough to pick up our little dog from the kennel and be reunited with our psychotic and very needy cat.

Celebrity - listen to your customers!

This. Exactly this.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I can't wait until my TA in April...yes, it is a suite, but I would enjoy it if it was a balcony...I just like the corner aft suites!!!! Yes, it was more than ai like to pay, but it is for 16 days...not to mention our friends are sailing too‼

Yes, Celebrity is doing something right...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Never stayed in a Suite and I think Celebrity is still pretty darn good. Just spent 10 days on the Eclipse in December and was very happy. And I know they are really catering to the suites but I really haven't seen much degradation in service or quality to us non-suite guests. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to stay in a suite......

I've looked around at other lines and what you get for your money it still works for us. Heck even Carnival, in a like type cabin, is just as expensive.

Unfortunately the last cruises we booked were 2 years ago and we got some great deals including the perks. Looking at cruises now, yow, the prices are a little high. Not just talking Celebrity either.

We just came home from a week on Reflection. Yes, for this one we were in a suite and it was absolutely fantastic. Luminae is beyond compare, no doubt about it, and our butler, Adriana, was a gem.

However, next month will be back in concierge class, and we have two more cruises booked in standard verandahs.

Two years ago, we booked a Royal Suite for a big anniversary, and I thought perhaps that would ruin regular cabins for us. Nope. Last year we were in a standard verandah and again, we had a fantastic time.

My first cruise was in 1985. I shared a small inside upper/lower with 3 other girls (Carnival) and had the time of my life. But that cruise cost more than what a suite costs in today's dollars.

We have been on a lot of Celebrity cruises and it is clearly our favourite. We've tried a few other lines, but none could beat it. Azamara was lovely, but the ships are just a bit too small and sedate for us. I love some of the new Celebrity changes, like the Silent Disco and the big parties in the atrium. I also enjoy the beverage packages and vastly improved internet. I'm a bit baffled by all the complaints I read on this board. There was live, volume-appropriate music everywhere, the crowd was young and energetic, the crew as helpful and friendly as always. The only negatives I've noticed in the last few years are the mystery cold cuts at the buffet, a slightly longer wait for wine in the main dining room or show room, and a bit more obtrusive upselling. No deal breakers. Those who seem so disappointed in Celebrity have perhaps just cruised too often and the thrill of discovery is gone. I think sailing to ports you haven't visited before can really perk things up, and if not, perhaps a break from cruising can help remind people what they liked about it. I know the all-inclusive land vacation we took last year had me wishing I was back on board a ship.

Our next cruise will be our first on Royal Caribbean, on the Harmony of the Seas. Although I know the ship will be spectacular, I also know I'll be happy to return to Celebrity afterwards.

Each cruise we go on, I expect I'm going to be a bit disappointed or tired of the same old thing but instead, we always come home feeling like we got treated like royalty and had a wonderful experience for a fair price. Getting on the Celebrity ships feels like coming home to us and I'm super excited to see the changes that the Edge class will offer.

We, too, really enjoy X, and have introduced others who love it as well. We have yet to sail in a suite and that is fine... totally enjoyable even with the foibles here and there, very good still and overall.

That includes wine options on the Premium Package to food to entertainment to dis-embarkation time to not wanting to go home.. ;-)

Thank you for your review, it is greatly appreciated and then some....

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953