Emerald Princess

G & T for me

Have just returned from the Baltic. Have to say I love the Emerald but did notice more cutbacks this year. Whilst they do not affect the enjoyment of the cruise it is just more of the extras that are disappearing 😟. On the plus side we had a great captain and cruise director and a great use of common sense! Cannot wait until the next one.

No canapes at Captain's Circle not a a great loss but just another of those frills that have disappeared. OH most upset though that the beef medallions have gone from the "always available" option on the MDR menu.....he used to eat them a lot! On the plus side on the sea days coming home they put extra table and chairs out in the Atrium so there was always somewhere to sit. Still love the Emerald so much better than the CP we had last year.

Edited by G & T for me

No canapes at Captain's Circle not a a great loss but just another of those frills that have disappeared. OH most upset though that the beef medallions have gone from the "always available" option on the MDR menu.....he used to eat them a lot! On the plus side on the sea days coming home they put extra table and chairs out in the Atrium so there was always somewhere to sit. Still love the Emerald so much better than the CP we had last year.
Thanks for coming back to post. The canapés were nothing to write home about and not a great loss [emoji848] Medallions were lost with the introduction of Curtis Stone items which is a loss [emoji27] Both changes have been posted previously so at least nothing new has been lost, for now. Bean counters are having too much sway but you can sort of understand with the overall cruise weakness right now.

Thanks for coming back to post. The canapés were nothing to write home about and not a great loss [emoji848] Medallions were lost with the introduction of Curtis Stone items which is a loss [emoji27] Both changes have been posted previously so at least nothing new has been lost, for now. Bean counters are having too much sway but you can sort of understand with the overall cruise weakness right now.

Those canapés were pretty bad. I gave up on them years ago.

Why would anyone actually want them is a mystery since there's a good dinner waiting in the DR right after the Captains party anyway.

same hold true for the ones they send to the cabin on formal nights- BAD.

Now that the chocolate covered strawberries are gone we don't bother ordering anything.

I was on the Emerald this month and people I know on the cruise complained that there were no canapés at the Captain's Circle party. I never ate them when they were available and I never order them for my cabin. No loss. And, yes, the beef medallions were replaced quite a while back. I can always find something to eat, so it's not a big loss to me. They were good, though. I'm surprised people don't complain more about the lack of strawberries. In October, people on my Royal cruise were upset that there were no strawberries. There were none on the Emerald either. I do like strawberries, but I'm fine with what they do offer. I had a very nice cruise on the Emerald this summer. The one thing that was WONDERFUL is the new beds. I'll give up canapés, strawberries and beef medallions to get a great night's sleep.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I agree the beds are fantastic. The entertainment was varied.....the new production show about Magic was very good, as was Peter Howarth, Jo Little and Michael Bacala. As I said previously we had a great time.....as once a year cruisers only we were not aware of the changes.

Are you sure you don't mean KP? Crown Princess? CP is the Princess abbreviation for Sea Princess. I've only sailed that ship once but we really liked it.

I like the mattresses. They are just firm enough for us firm bed aficionados but certainly soft enough for almost everyone else. I dislike the new pillows (unless they've calmed down a bit from when they first came out) and the sheet system.

Something that would be less of an issue on a European cruise would be the lack of adequate pool towels. We were told there are two per passenger. The stewards stopped placing them in the cabins sometime last February and we had to get them from the pool area. We would often have to do 'rock-paper-scissors' to determine which of us had to run back up there to get two after we were ready for bed. If we waited until morning they were often either already gone or not yet set out.

We love the Emerald Princess, but that fondness certainly didn't make us blind to the several small cutbacks implemented on that ship from two years ago to last winter.

hi. just getting good ready for my 2 week med cruise from Southampton and I've got an issue that's bugging me and wondered if anyone can help!! I need to no what the current exchange rate princess are using for converting sterling to dollars on board then also what they charge to change dollars back to sterling if we have credit left on our account once bill been settled.

We are off on the Emerald Princess in less than 2 weeks - Norwegian Fjiords. In the main, the reviews of the Emerald are very positive and so we are looking forward to our trip on her. Previous trips have been on Sea Princess, Regal and Pacific, quite a varied bunch!!! Roll on 6th August :).

hi. just getting good ready for my 2 week med cruise from Southampton and I've got an issue that's bugging me and wondered if anyone can help!! I need to no what the current exchange rate princess are using for converting sterling to dollars on board then also what they charge to change dollars back to sterling if we have credit left on our account once bill been settled.

You can find the official Interbank rate at sites such as http://www.x-rates.com/ which today shows a rate of $1.31.

The Princess currency exchange machines (based on a recent cruise when the pound was worth more before Brexit) will sell British pounds for about 6.3% more that the official rate, so it would be about $1.39.

The price paid for converting British pounds into USA $ will be about 9.1% below the official rate, so it would be about $1.18.

In addition there will be transaction fee of $4.50 when you sell the pounds and again when you purchase the pounds. Each transaction is limited to 10 bills, so if you have more than 10 to exchange, you will need to pay the $4.50 transaction fee again.

If you are going on a Med cruise, you are more likely to need Euros than US $. The percentages charged for getting Euros for pounds is about the same as I listed above for converting to/from us $.

Edited by caribill

You can find the official Interbank rate at sites such as http://www.x-rates.com/ which today shows a rate of $1.31.

The Princess currency exchange machines (based on a recent cruise when the pound was worth more before Brexit) will sell British pounds for about 6.3% more that the official rate, so it would be about $1.39.

The price paid for converting British pounds into USA $ will be about 9.1% below the official rate, so it would be about $1.18.

In addition there will be transaction fee of $4.50 when you sell the pounds and again when you purchase the pounds. Each transaction is limited to 10 bills, so if you have more than 10 to exchange, you will need to pay the $4.50 transaction fee again.

If you are going on a Med cruise, you are more likely to need Euros than US $. The percentages charged for getting Euros for pounds is about the same as I listed above for converting to/from us $.

HI,us British can gift ourselves OBC on CP at a rate of 1.43 at present,cheers,Briand

hi brian1, after a conversation with princess yesterday about the OBC the exchange rate works out just under 1.54!!👍
HI,that's what we got for our sept cruise.Some people have said if you book later in year you only get 1.43.We booked in Jan so quids in , cheers,Brian.