NORO on Nautica

PaulMCO

The Captain has reported and announced that a number passengers and crew have contracted Noro. Exact numbers are not known but this will be reported to the CDC as required -- stated the Captain.

With 2 stops in India, plus 250 passengers leaving and 150 new passengers in Mumbai -- certainly plausible.

Didn't think they had to report to CDC while outside USA? Are they headed back to US any time soon?

No -- but that is what the Captain said.

We had to instruct the Head Waiter in Terrace -- to put the large salad plates away behind the counter. This morning we saw someone pick one touch three...

The Captain has reported and announced that a number passengers and crew have contracted Noro. Exact numbers are not known but this will be reported to the CDC as required -- stated the Captain.

With 2 stops in India, plus 250 passengers leaving and 150 new passengers in Mumbai -- certainly plausible.

Sorry to hear about this Paul.

The new outbreak of Noro on Nautica is just another confirmation that it is all about sick people and not sick ships.

Edited by Paulchili

Or maybe sick crew.....they should test anyone who has recently transferred from Riviera to Nautica.

Of course, that is always a possibility but I doubt very much that crew members transfer from one ship directly to another at the end of a contract. They usually go home for some time before starting a new contract.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Paulchili, I happen to know that crew.....including O crew, can be transferred mid contract and often too, if the business requires it. I'm not saying that this IS the cause of Noro now appearing on Nautica, but it is a possibility and testing any potential carriers should be done.

We are at the end of "Noro season" now so hopefully things will improve but O clearly needs to be proactive at prevention and public relations for next Winter. I have friends who were considering O for two cruises in 2017. They have now booked one on Azamara and one on Viking and this was purely because of reading those negative Riviera Noro threads over the last few weeks.

I just booked my first Viking cruise today (after 23 Oceania cruises). It's not because of the Noro - but the awful way Oceania treated its passengers before and after the Noro outbreak on Rivera and a really noticeable degradation in the service from the ships maitre d's, cruise director restaurant manager and hotel manager.

Paulchili, I happen to know that crew.....including O crew, can be transferred mid contract and often too, if the business requires it. I'm not saying that this IS the cause of Noro now appearing on Nautica, but it is a possibility and testing any potential carriers should be done.

We are at the end of "Noro season" now so hopefully things will improve but O clearly needs to be proactive at prevention and public relations for next Winter. I have friends who were considering O for two cruises in 2017. They have now booked one on Azamara and one on Viking and this was purely because of reading those negative Riviera Noro threads over the last few weeks.

As I stated above, it is a possibility and I agree that those individuals that have been transferred from Riviera to Nautica (IF there indeed are any) should be tested.

That said, if I were a betting man, I would bet on a passenger on Nautica (or embarking on Nautica) to be the source rather than a transferred crew (if there even is such a person) - simple matter of odds and probabilities.

Of course, the situation on Riviera itself is different in that everyone there (passengers, crew, staff) have been potentially exposed and can be the source.

PS Logistically, if they needed more crew on the Nautica, it would be much simpler for O to recall someone from home (India or Philippines, as they are in that area) rather than flying someone from Riviera to the Nautica and then having to replace the crew member on the Riviera (as I doubt that Riviera has crew to spare :))

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

I just booked my first Viking cruise today (after 23 Oceania cruises). It's not because of the Noro - but the awful way Oceania treated its passengers before and after the Noro outbreak on Rivera and a really noticeable degradation in the service from the ships maitre d's, cruise director restaurant manager and hotel manager.

Not arguing that Oceania behaved well with these problems because it appears that it did not.

But did you book with Viking Ocean or Viking river boat? I know for myself that the riverboat trips have declined seriously since our first river cruise in 2003. Our TA who was with us on our 2012 riverboat cruise no longer handles Viking because of problems that occurred ... especially since Viking didn't even answer HER questions.

I have seen positive reports about the ocean going ships but we have decided no more river boats with Viking because of the problems we saw.

I can give more details if you wish.

Mura

Just wash your hands like this and don't touch the faucet afterwards with bare hands.

Unfortunately, it goes way beyond the proper washing of hands. You need to wipe down tray tables, arm rests, controls and seat back pockets on the plane as well as anything you touch on the ship. You can wash your hands 50 times, touch something that an infected person has touched and wipe your eyes or nose and the virus has been effectively spread.

Of course, that is always a possibility but I doubt very much that crew members transfer from one ship directly to another at the end of a contract. They usually go home for some time before starting a new contract.

There are exceptions to every rule.

There was a rash of crew coming on new contracts when we boarded in Hong Kong - 18 days ago. I agree -- more like sick passengers coming on in Mumbai. Very easy for someone doing a precruise stay in Mumbai for 2 or 3 days to pick it up and any of the hotels. As I witnessed several times in Agra and New Delhi, people heading for the Salad Bar - in my 30+ years of 3rd world travel a NO NO....

Edited by PaulMCO

Unfortunately, it goes way beyond the proper washing of hands. You need to wipe down tray tables, arm rests, controls and seat back pockets on the plane as well as anything you touch on the ship. You can wash your hands 50 times, touch something that an infected person has touched and wipe your eyes or nose and the virus has been effectively spread.

I go to many restaurants here, some that serve 3 to 400 meals a night and nothing like this takes place. They do not wash down every table when new people sit down, do not require hand spray and the staff does not wear gloves. And no one gets sick. ???? Someone tell me.

I go to many restaurants here, some that serve 3 to 400 meals a night and nothing like this takes place. They do not wash down every table when new people sit down, do not require hand spray and the staff does not wear gloves. And no one gets sick. ???? Someone tell me.

Do all of the people call you to let you know that they are OK? :D

Nothing on CDC website at this time.

I'm referring traveling during the time of the year when many people are typically sick with flu, colds or other viruses. As far as restaurants on land, people likely do get sick If someone that sat at the table before them sneezed on the menu or in their hands and then touch the salt or pepper shaker. The diners won't show symptoms for a couple of days and won't recall when or where they were exposed. There is no way to keep track of them.

The same can be said about airplanes where germs are also flowing through the air conditioning system. We caught colds in airports and airplanes so many times that we now wipe down surfaces. If people are heading on a cruise and get a virus on the airplane, it will likely not show up until the 1st or 2nd day that you are on the ship. However, when a handful of people that have been exposed to a virus board a ship, they can pass it on to others very easily. Since the passengers do not disappear after a couple of days as they do on land, and you are in a contained space and the virus continues to multiply.

IMO, if they have the solution that works against the virus in a spray form, it is easy to spray down items in your stateroom/suite when you board the ship. We need to have wipes with us at the table when we dine. That can be awkward but we plan on giving it a try on our next cruise. We'll just a quick wipe of the salt and pepper shaker and menu. If we are at the buffet, there are other issues to be concerned about but we don't tend to eat at the Terrace Café so it isn't a big deal for us.

We'll see what happens. I would rather take precautions than sit back and wonder if I'm going to get sick.

Not always the case. When there is an outbreak of GI illness the local health dept. will try to track it down and they can tell most of the time where it came from. Would be great of we had a spray we could use that to clean our hands and any table we sat at. I think most people would use something easy like that if there was any such thing that really worked.

Joel, was there a specific cruise you were on that made you feel that way or is it due to reports here?

Not always the case. When there is an outbreak of GI illness the local health dept. will try to track it down and they can tell most of the time where it came from. Would be great of we had a spray we could use that to clean our hands and any table we sat at. I think most people would use something easy like that if there was any such thing that really worked.

Well, I have posted the recommendations from the EPA a few times. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production..._norovirus.pdf This list has products that do what we are all looking for. However, it takes some research to find the right one (some harm skin while others are perfectly safe).

This one, for instance http://www.amazon.com/Vital-Oxide-Disinfectant-Deodorizer-Cleaner/dp/B00AZN8RFC/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460740444&sr=8-2&keywords=vital-oxide comes in various sizes and is safe for hands. Read this link regarding safety http://www.vitaloxide.com/images/stories/downloads/VO_SmallTriFold.pdf. There are others - you just need to take the time to Google them. I have and have wipes for our next cruise and may purchase this product in spray form (travel sizes are available on Amazon).

IMO, rather than worrying what everyone else is doing, let's try to protect ourselves the best that we can.

--

Do you know how many cases have been reported to date? What percent of passengers have been sick?

If you are talking to any passengers who come out of quarantine, please let us know what they said happened while they were in quarantine. Food, etc.

Hope you keep well and do not come down with this terrible illness.

Thanks.

--

--

Do you know how many cases have been reported to date? What percent of passengers have been sick?

If you are talking to any passengers who come out of quarantine, please let us know what they said happened while they were in quarantine. Food, etc.

Hope you keep well and do not come down with this terrible illness.

Thanks.

--

26 persons have reported to medical

19 persons currently sick in quarantine

Last report case was 0700h today.

Captain has been very good providing the details at the noon hour PA announcement.